Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Only problem is that he wouldn't be able to use that excuse until after the Foundling, but I could see him using it when Lois confesses to loving SM as an ordinary man after her rejection of Clark. This would work in multiple levels. a) It would keep Superman as a man of honor... b) It would also (unfortunately) leave Lois with some hope of an eventual relationship with SM... c) Plus, it's darn Romantic, and Lois wouldn't be able to fault him for that.
I love this idea!

To solve the problem of not being able to use the excuse before Foundling, he could claim that he's married from the start, and then later reveal to Lois that she died on Krypton, claiming that he didn't say so before because it was too recent. I don't see any reason for him to tell the public that the missus is dead.

The real problems, of course, arise when Clark tells her that he's Superman (or she finds out) and he has to come clean that he's never been married. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when she realizes that all her sympathy for the poor widower were not deserved.

Random question: what does the thread title (ADL) mean?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)