Apologies in advance for depressing anyone.

Clark stopped his pacing when the phone rang, and he hurriedly snatched it up.

"Hello?"

He paused and listened to the voice at the end of the line.

‘Mr Kent, this is Alison Warren from Social Services. We have your father in our custody. He was picked up earlier this morning walking down a busy road in his pyjamas.’

"Oh, good, he's safe!"

‘Mr Kent, your father is in no condition to be left on his own any more. I know this is a difficult situation for any family to find themselves in, but Alzheimers is a progressive disease and you need to think carefully about his future care, sooner rather than later. Mr Kent?’

"...Yes, I heard you. Don't worry, he's harmless. Just don't do anything to spook him."

‘You can no longer deny the seriousness of his condition. He needs round the clock supervision. ’

"I know, I know."

‘We’ll keep him here until you or your wife can come and collect him.’

"Thanks, I appreciate that."

‘However, I still feel the need to impress upon you the gravity of this situation. This cannot be allowed to happen again. Your father’s wandering is not only putting his own life in danger, but possibly the welfare of others as well. ’

"Yeah, no kidding."

‘Then you are also aware that decisions need to be made. You can’t ignore this any longer.’ Her voice softened. ‘This must be incredibly difficult for you,-’

"You've no idea."

‘It’s a heartbreaking condition, Clark. You have my sympathies.’

"Don't worry about it; I'll be right over. Thanks very much!"

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.