#299758 04/19/24 10:15 PM
A
AmandaK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Story

The ending turned out a lot softer than I originally intended. I meant it to be more of a cliffhanger, leaving everyone wondering what happens next (because I'm not entirely sure myself) but L&C kind of took over my writing at the end there. Hope you enjoy!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The ending was just soft enough, and I still want to see what happens! I am so here for a Lois who is already in Clark's corner, and between this and the details you mentioned in chat, I really hope we get to see justice served!

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Uh, wow. I watched District 9 (I believe the movie is called) and can't say I enjoyed it. But I have to admit this is an interesting and scary twist. The development is understandable after Nor's attack and (don't I know) not unprecedented in real life. Which makes it all the more scary. I would love to know how Clark's life develops from here. Can he become Superman? And if he did, how would that affect the lives of the other Kryptonians?

Why does he even put up with the bracelet? He could remove it in a secluded area and wait for his powers to return. How did he end up with a bracelet in the first place? He grew up in Smallville, so I'm assuming he came to Earth quite some time before the other Kryptonians arrived.

Anyway, fascinating AU, one I'd love to see more of.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
A
AmandaK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I can honestly say that I have no intention of this becoming as intense as District 9. I didn't remember until I looked it up, but I did see it years ago when it first came out and it's not one I'm anxious to watch again.
I don't know exactly how this story will play out. I have a vague idea of how he might become Superman but its all just up in head space right now.

I do have a pretty decent backstory mapped out which I shared with Queenie and Carrie while they were helping me with the title. I'm thinking I might turn that into a multi-chapter prequel to this but I don't plan to post it until it's all written and not sure when since I have a few other projects.
To answer your questions though, the armband needs a special key to remove it so it's not that simple. And yes, he came to Earth first and grew up in Smallville but ended up in District K after the Kryptonians arrived. I'll save the rest for the prequel though.

B
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
B
I really liked this ficlet. What an interesting premise.
So, lots of stuff/hidden history to unpack here. The following I read out of it:
So Clark likely grew up in Sv with the Kents and was interested in journalism, lived a huma nlife, as per usual. But at some point, a large group of Kryptonians (enough that it needed an entire town/district to keep all of them) came to Earth. Likely the NEw KRypton group. MAybe they didn't find a planet for themselves this time around and so decided to go to the place jor and Lara sent their kid and try to live there. Only that some of them (probably led by Non) pot power-hungry and decided to rather rule than blend in.
They also somehow got taken care of (I assume since there's no Superman, the govs found out about Kryptonite some other way. Clark may or may not have been involved in this. That could be an interesting twist if he basically turned "his" people in like that to protect the world...)
Which also leads to the question how exactly Clark (or Kal-El, respectively) got involved with the Kryptonians/where does he fit in with all this, both in detailled and in the general/public story. Given that he stil uses the name "Clark Kent" which doesn't sem to publicly be associated with the Kryptonians, his "secret identity" might still be intact. I assume, it's possible that only his "Kryptonian" side got into contact with the authorities and, despite likely helping them, was also arrested into District K. He might also have agreed to get them away form further investigating, thus protecting his parents. As in "OK, I'll stay here and will comply, but I won't tell you where I grew up" or something. Or, alternatively, they are aware who he is but decided to keep it since he's "marked" and won't be a "threat" and publishing his story might give pro-Kryptonian-sympathics more good than they want them to have.
So, assuming his "human" cover is, in general, still intact, that would still work since he would have a bracelet form his time in District K but no one would know CK=KRyptonian if not something like what happend in the office..happens. Hrm.
It makes total sense to me that the other Kryptonians would decide to just stay in Distirct K among themselves. They come off as quite reclusive in the show anyway, plus given how humanity treats them (of the impression we get here) they would be total outsiders anyway. So, why bother? Clark is a special case here since he has connections to humans and so on, which can't be said about the other Kryptonians. Or who knows, maybe there are one-two more who decided to "explore" Clark just doesn't know about but even if not, I wouldn't be surprised. I can totally see all the Kryptonians staying with themselves. Now if they were more accepted, tha tmight change - or maybe still not, given how they are so different in their mindsets and whatnot.
One wonders how Clark (and the others too) can even walk around with getting Kryptonite directly pushed into their systems. Like shouldn't that, if ot kill them, at least cause permanent pain etc. stopping from getting by? And there's only so much Kryptonite that's there. Like it's a rare AF substance. So depending on how many of them there are, there would be a limit to the ressource how much yu can use at them...
I get Perry's dilemma here although he kind of comes off cowardly here and not really like the Perry we know. That said, we don't really know about the extents of what the KRyptonians did to the planet and its people, and Perry also doesn't know who might take over if he gets fired over it, which might be a bigger isue than it would be in a normal L&C verse, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
As for Lois...well, she's not exactly known for her empty threads so...that will be a shitshow. Should be interesting.
Also, it seems like Lois' background might also be somewhat different in this. The way hos she clicked with Clakr so easily on that conference, apparently, implies her experiences with men and relationships are not as dark this time around or that would not have been the case. Like, she needed a long time to establish her friendship and even longer with the romance, and that was when she worked with Clark in the same office for a while, in canon. So, it seems she also went on a bit of a different path there, too.
Also, I can totally see Lois always wantign to interview a Kryptonian. And I also really believe most of them woudl like like "yeah no, let me alone stupid human" LOL. And of course with her back luck, she gets the most un-kryptonian of them all :-)
Aaanyway, I for one would love to see more from this AU, both from the past what happened there as well as what comes next, should your muse come up with more, I'll be here for it!

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Amanda!
Today’s story is a standalone fic (for now… maybe), unrelated to TNTCA.
(Wonders if reader should read parens both forward and backward. After all, who knows in which universe LnC will end up when they jump from TNTCA)

District K: Injustice
It sounds like a riff on the sci-fi movie District 9. It could also be the Hunger Games…

But finding a permanent home hinged on being able to find permanent employment – a goal which had proved nearly impossible for him over the last four years.
Too much of a flake, huh?

He had decided to apply to the Daily Planet at the insistence of a friend, whom he had met at a journalism conference a few months ago.
Interesting. No specification about the pronoun. But would Lois be called a “friend”?

“This is some mighty fine reporting you’ve done here.”
The inside life of a knob-tailed gecko family.

slammed open and a human whirlwind blew in, pushing aside Clark’s portfolio to lay her own sheaf of papers front and center on the desk.
Awww, just like the tornados back home, depositing the neighbor’s Buick on the Kent barn.

The small tornado gesticulated wildly as she spoke, effortlessly making herself the center of attention.
clap

Clark bit his lip to keep himself from chuckling. She hadn’t changed a bit.
I’ll admit, you had me wondering for a bit. On the one hand, you overindulged the stormy weather metaphors, on the other, “friend” and “tornado” didn’t seem to fit. Which means the poor guy already got a crush on his “friend”.
LOIS: Got to finish that story before mandatory maternity leave kicks in.

“Lois! Haven’t you ever heard of knocking?
LOIS: confused help huh

to argue that her story was more important, no doubt.

But she didn’t get that far.
laugh

“Clark! You’re here! You applied? Oh, this is just perfect! I need you on my team for this. Perry, you have to hired him.”
Awww… she’s bubbly!

. “Ah, yes. I seem to recall you saying he was the only reporter who could keep up with you, the only one you’d accept as a partner.”
Oooh, this could be a fun ploy to remaining a free agent. Set an impossible goal for her boss to meet for finding her a partner. Then it backfires.

He had to force his mind not to wander back to those delightful evenings they had spent together at the conference.
“evening”, huh?
CLARK: a night also starts with an “evening” angel-devil

She fascinated him on every level.
/chooses to interpret level as horizontal slices/

“Meet me at my desk when you’re done in here.”
It would be awkward if he didn’t get the job.

. “Sorry, about that. Lois is a force to be reckoned with.”
Yes, she needs a super man to keep up with her.

Clark wondered what the older man was thinking.
PERRY: Would a set of new lock picks be an appropriate wedding gift…?

Did he realize that Clark was attracted to his top reporter?
PERRY: Friaz can cover for them for two weeks if they finish her current story and schedule the honeymoon before they mayoral debate next month…

Just what was the Daily Planet’s policy on interoffice dating?
/points at the scheduling calendar for the supply closet/

Would Lois even agree to go on another date with him?
Only if he can fly. Also, “another”!!!

“The Daily Planet could certainly use a writer with your strengths.”
Able to withstand Lois Lane?

. “Welcome to the Daily Planet, Mr. Kent.”
No way. He really got the job? I did not expect this. jawdrop peep

A glowing, green letter K stood out plainly against the otherwise black metal.
What the…?
Also, it’s his wrist klock.

“Is, uh, is that what I think it is?”

Clark sighed again but forced himself to meet the editor’s gaze steadily. “Yes, sir.”

“So, you’re a… uh…”
Eeeeeeeeep!

“Will this…” he lifted his arm slightly. “…affect my being hired?”

Mr. White leaned back slowly and let out a heavy breath of his own. “You know, son, I really wish I could say it doesn’t. However, the newspaper board…”
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Perry better not have given you something else.”
He got advice. The National Whisper is hiring little green men.

“No. Lois, you don’t understand. I didn’t get the job.”
Three… two… one…

“What?! How could you not get the job? Perry was practically salivating over the idea of my finally accepting a partner.”
laugh

“Perry, what is this? Why didn’t you hire Clark?”
Angry Lois is cute!

You’ve read his work. Surely you can see that he’s perfect for the Daily Planet.”
Yes, he’d be… super.

“You’re Kryptonian?” she whispered.
Yes. He’s one of those equipped with an impressive body and sophisticated skills in professional caregiving.

He’d never expected that any human woman could accept him for what he was – an alien.
Hey, it’s not like he’d be taking her up to his ship and probe her.

Yet, they’ve all been confined to District K for the past fifteen years.”
And no one considers how they got stopped in the first place.

“We’re not confined anymore,” he began, but Lois ran over the top of anything else he might say.

“Oh, yes. How could I forget? Now you can leave, but only if you wear an armband laced with a radioactive substance – the only substance known to hurt Kryptonians.”
I get the feeling that Lois isn’t all that pro-prejudice.

“How can you just stand there and accept this?”
He’s already being subversive enough by not wearing the mandatory blue outfit with the bright yellow S on the chest and the red overcoat.

Do you all just accept being permanently unemployed?”
They can live off the sun. No need to work.

“Regardless, you ought to have the right to seek gainful employment. We have laws about that.”
He could try the Gotham Gazette next?

But Mr. White was already shaking his head. “If they find out and learn that I knew and hired him anyway, I could lose my job. I’m sorry, Lois. My hands are tied.”
He really could work for the Met Star? Also, how can this not have a part counter?

Clark sighed and shook his head. “Thank you, Lois. But it’s not worth it. I’m just one man. No one is going to care whether or not I can get a job.”

“I care.”
Awwwwww…

Clark shrugged. “I don’t know. I’ve only got enough money for a few more days in Metropolis. If I can’t find a job by the end of the week, I guess I’ll be headed back to Smallville.”
So, he didn’t arrive with the Kryptonians?

So little is known about your race, your culture, your home world.”
Yes, rural America isn’t featured much in the media.

The elevator doors closed between them but, for the first time in years, Clark no longer felt completely cut off from humanity.
Awwwwww

That’s quite the mixed tale you’ve started to weave there. I applaud your creativity clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard