Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: KSaraSara I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 12:50 AM
Well, the day has finally come! I'm ready to quit. So here I sit, almost two hours without a cigarette, wondering whether this is worth posting on the boards. Well, to tell you the truth, I'll be proud of myself if I can actually do this, and... I could use the accountability and the encouragement. wink

So wish me luck, guys, I'll need the support. laugh

Sara goofy
Posted By: LabRat Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 03:30 AM
Well, done, Sara! clap I'm sure you can find plenty to do here on the mbs to keep your mind - and hands - off those cigarettes!

Good luck!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Kaethel Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 03:53 AM
Great decision, Sara, and very courageous. smile We'll be here to support you and help you go through the first few difficult weeks. After that it should get easier (but we'll still be here). smile

Kaethel smile
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 04:07 AM
Good decision, Sara! And I'm sure it won't be easy, but I'm also sure that you can do it. smile Feel free to vent or whatever, anytime you need to... We're here for ya thumbsup

PJ
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 04:39 AM
Very good idea! Good luck, it's a great step towards better health!

thumbsup thumbsup

~Liz
Posted By: Mister Data Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 06:37 AM
Go Sara! Go Sara! Go! Go! Go Sara, Sara, Sara! Go Sara! Yippeee!!!!!

thumbsup James thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 06:51 AM
Good to stop now, Sara.

I've been married to a smoker for 13 years and that means we've spent over $32,000 on his cigarettes. Nice down payment on a house that would be. Would also pay off our credit card debt. I don't even want to consider the interest that would earn if it was in a savings plan those 13 years. wallbash

GOOD to STOP NOW!

TEEEEEEEJ
Posted By: JenniJac Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 07:29 AM
Good luck! I know you can do it! Any time you need someone to act totally foolish/silly to distract you from cravings, tell me to go drink some caffine...
Posted By: Wendymr Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 09:35 AM
Good luck, Sara! You'll need lots of willpower, but just think of the benefits to your health, as well as the fact that your clothes and hair and all of you will smell much nicer. wink You'll never have Larry Hagman sit in front of you with a miniature fan telling you that kissing a smoker is like kissing a dirty ol' ashtray. goofy (Yeah, yeah, I've just aged myself here blush )

And, as TJ says, think of how much money you'll be saving! I don't know how many you smoked per day, but I'm sure you could work out how long it would take you to save enough for another air ticket to visit some FoLC friends, wink or the Lois and Clark DVDs coming out this year! rotflol

Wendy smile
Posted By: Shadow Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 11:46 AM
Good luck!!!

JD
Posted By: Julie S Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 01:15 PM
Good luck, Sara! Great decision!! smile

You know where to find us if you need some distraction... wink

Julie smile
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 01:56 PM
Just wanted to take quick second, before I have to rush off again, to thank *each* and *every* one of you for responding. I think I found an new Stop Smoking Program! laugh Seriously, just knowing how much support I've gotten already just in my first day, is more than helpful. Kept thinking at work "Can't have a cigarette... can't go into irc later smelling like an ashtray. They'll know." wink

So thanks, Lab, Kae, Pam, Liz, James, TEEEJ, Jenni, Wendy, Jen and Julie!!!! laugh

Sara dizzy <--- Just about how I'm feeling right now. :p
Posted By: Kaethel Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 02:46 PM
Hang in there, Sara!! You'll be fine. smile

Kaethel smile
Posted By: YConnell Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 02:58 PM
Yay, Sara! You can do it - we're all rooting for you. smile

Yvonne
Posted By: LNCroxmysox Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 04:20 PM
So glad to hear this, Sara! I know you can do it. And I know how you can distract yourself... write some fanfic!
Posted By: EmilyH Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 05:17 PM
Good luck!

dance
Posted By: rivka Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 06:56 PM
Darn. I can't remember what comedian it was who talked about quitting smoking by taking deep breaths (thus getting a little nicotine taste in the mouth, courtesy of smoker's lungs wink ) and munching carrot sticks. And I can't give Google enough to find it -- if it's even online.

Did find out that both of those things are really recommended, though. smile

Good luck, and good for you!

Look what a great thing you are doing for yourself! thumbsup

Go Sara! dance
Posted By: mmmsquirrel Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 07:25 PM
go sara! you can do it!! and if you can do it maybe i could do it........
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 08:00 PM
Sara, thumbsup smile

The only "safer" cigarette is your last one.
-Duane Alan Hahn

Ankit, wave
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/01/05 09:21 PM
Rough first day, but I didn't hurt anyone. laugh

I'm *really* bowled over by the amount of replies I've gotten and I really can't thank you all enough. I've read all the posts *several* times. Makes me want one just that much less.

So thanks Yvonne, Molly, Emily, Rivka, Jen, and Ankit!!! As well as everyone else too!! smile1

Sara cat
Posted By: LabRat Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/02/05 04:06 AM
Keeping the violence under control - that's a positive first step, Sara! drool And even nicer to get a new Sara fic. laugh

LabRat smile (not that I'm hinting or anything...)
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/02/05 06:00 AM
Yay, non-violence! Keep that up... Hang in there, Sara, I know you can do it. Y'know, in my experience, nothing will distract you better than a good flame war... want to argue politics with anyone? goofy Whatever your views are, I guarantee you can find someone to disagree with them laugh Just, um, do it in e-mail, k? Otherwise the other admins will kill me wink

PJ
Posted By: Julie S Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/02/05 03:14 PM
Yay, Sara! As Labby and Pam said, non-violence is good. <g>

Hang in there, you're doing well!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sara}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Julie thumbsup
Posted By: Wanda Detroit Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/02/05 05:30 PM
Keep up the good work, Sara!

We are all so proud of you!!!!!

--Wanda thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: rivka Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/02/05 09:13 PM
*waves pom poms*

Go Sara! Go Sara! Go Sara! dance
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/03/05 11:01 AM
$32,000.00 SARA

TEEEEEJ
Posted By: Wendymr Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/03/05 11:32 AM
I think we need to do a count for you, Sara. So, assuming you still haven't had a cigarette, this is Day Three, right? Congratulations on making it this far! party

And hang on in there - let us know when you need a little extra encouragement, all right?

Any other smokers out there ready to stop along with Sara? Mutual encouragement and all that... wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/04/05 12:54 AM
Thanks, Wendy!!! And thanks for the continued support, everyone!!! love

For easier time-tracking purposes wink , I started at 12:00:01 am on March 1st. <g> So... It's been officially 3 days and almost two hours.

Today was a hard day and I almost didn't make it. Hope tomorrow's better.

You guys really are a *great* help!!! smile

Sara
My first reaction when I saw this thread's title was, "Good for you, Sara!!" thumbsup

I can't be around so often anymore, but my thoughts are with you.

And, yay, you're making it happen!! Let's celebrate!! party party

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Keep up the good work, Sara!!! You're doing so well! dance

- Laura smile
Posted By: rivka Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/06/05 02:15 PM
dance dance dance

I'd calculate the day, but you didn't specify time zone and I'm too lazy to figure it out.
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/06/05 11:06 PM
Mountain Standard Time... which makes it... SIX days as of right now. I'll be honset... I did have one or two. So I cheated. But I'm really encouraged by the fact that I didn't enjoy the experience, which is good. And, I'm telling myself that it's far better than having smoked two or three packs. wink

I'm hanging in there. Finding it difficult at times to function without my stress reliever, but I'm dealing. smile

Thanks again, everyone, for your support. I really wouldn't have made it even a day without your support!

Sara
Posted By: rivka Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/07/05 01:42 AM
Six days is almost a week, yes? smile Awesome.

And yeah, I'd definitely agree that one or two is far better than one or two packs. goofy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/10/05 06:19 AM
I recommend checking your savings (pun not intended). You might want to consider doing a cash jar for your designated cig money. Watch how fast it grows! Like a Chia Pet with dollar bills.

Keep going!!! hyper

TEEEEEEEJ
Posted By: LabRat Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/10/05 09:28 AM
Mountain Standard Time... which makes it... SIX days as of right now. I'll be honset... I did have one or two. So I cheated. But I'm really encouraged by the fact that I didn't enjoy the experience, which is good. And, I'm telling myself that it's far better than having smoked two or three packs.
I think most people fail at giving up an addiction, Sara, because they pay too much attention to the little steps backwards that are inevitable and let them overcome them.

So, much waving of pompoms and hearty ra ras all round for your positive and sensible approach to those. They will happen - but turning them into positives and letting them help you move forward as you are doing is a huge help towards your goal!

Well done, you! smile1

Keep it up!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Wendymr Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/10/05 10:03 AM
Absolutely! Keep it up, Sara! How many days now? And TJ's right: start putting your saved money in a jar somewhere and whenever you're tempted to buy a packet count how much you've saved so far. wink

Hang in there!! We're rooting for you.

Wendy smile
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/10/05 04:48 PM
Almost 10 whole days. laugh And... if I didn't need the money for other things, I'd be saving it. razz )
Posted By: Carolyn Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/10/05 05:42 PM
Ten days Sara, congrats!!!! clap

Keep the good work, you can do it!

Carolyn smile
Posted By: rivka Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/10/05 05:55 PM
thumbsup hyper
Posted By: TriciaW Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/12/05 07:45 PM
smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/12/05 08:05 PM
Good for you! Keep it up!

~Liz
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 03/30/05 07:52 AM
Updates Sara?? got a lot of money saved up yet??

If so, feel free to send chocolate to various encouragers of your new determination <AHEM!>

TEEEEEEEEJ
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 03:15 AM
Well...

I haven't been avoiding this post, really, I've just not been sure what to say.

I didn't make it. I may have picked a bad time to do it, set myself up for failure, with all the stress and problems I've been having this semester. Or maybe that's just an excuse. But, as with any addiction, it may be an excuse, but a vaild one. I think.

I don't want to be a smoker for the rest of my life. Hopefully, not even the rest of this year. Unfortunately, now's just not the right time for me to do it. frown

I do want everyone to know that I really do appreciate every single response this thread has gotten. I'm very touched that so many of you care! You can't imagine how it helped me when I was going through the first few very tough weeks.

I want to apologize, I'm not sure why... I guess I feel I let you guys down, though I really only let myself down. frown But I'm okay with that for now. I have other things I need to get back on track, so I'm concentrating on those. I do hope that when the time comes again, you'll all be here and willing to give me the same support.

Sorry, and thanks again!

Sara
Too bad you didn't make it, Sara frown But it's the first step!

Concentrate on whatever's your priority now, and be sure we'll still be here when you want to try again smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 12:37 PM
frown

Hey, but now you know, you've done it once right? So you can do it again, and you can maybe aim for more days than you achieved this time, and so on....

I'm positive all of us are very proud of you, thumbsup smile

~Ankit wave
Posted By: Wendymr Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 01:36 PM
Absolutely, Sara! We're very proud of you for trying, and for lasting out as long as you did. And when you're ready to try again we'll still be here, cheerleading. smile

Maybe there are other FoLCs who want to quit too? You could do it together.

Wendy smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 02:34 PM
I think you were very brave to set yourself up for a public challenge as difficult as this one, Sara, while knowing there was the possibility of failure.

And even braver to admit it didn't work out this time.

So well done! clap

And don't beat yourself up too much. If this was easy, everyone would be doing it in a week. It's not easy and maybe you didn't succeed as much as you hoped this time, but you made a good start. Next time, you'll do better.

My father tried several times to give up smoking over the years when we were kids and failed many times, but he got there eventually.

You will too.

LabRat smile
Posted By: IreneD Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 04:09 PM
People who know me well have a hard time believing that I used to smoke, but I did - over 4 packs a day! (cough, cough)

I tried innumerable times to quit, and finally, in a fit of desperation quit as a birthday gift for my non-smoking fiance. We've been married more than 20 years now, so that seemed to work for me. smile

You'll find something that works for you, too. Keep trying in the future. Eventually, it will click for you.

Irene
Posted By: Shadow Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 05:28 PM
I may have picked a bad time to do it, set myself up for failure, with all the stress and problems I've been having this semester.
Ugh, I totally understand. I smoke when I get stressed out, but I told myself this week I'd stop doing it because it's obviously not the healthiest thing in the world. Wouldn't you know all the drama and stress of this campus gathered and combusted this week. It's driving me crazy not being able to jump out on the balcony and light up. If everything doesn't quiet down soon, it's back to the balcony.

JD
Posted By: HatMan Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 10:20 PM
Sorry it didn't work out this time, Sara. Congrats for trying. You know, Mark Twain once (reportedly) said, "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times!" No shame in not having it work out. Better luck next time, when you're ready. smile

Paul
Posted By: RL Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/09/05 10:53 PM
We'll be here to support you when you're ready to try again. Keep your spirits up and you'll succeed eventually.
Posted By: rivka Re: I'm Quitting Smoking - Relapse :( - 04/10/05 01:10 AM
The average smoker quits many times -- because it is very very HARD to do! Don't worry, Sara, you'll get there. *hug*

Meanwhile, don't apologize. Deal with what you need to first, so that next time can be more successful.

Good luck!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards