Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: BarbP FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 01:27 PM
Yep--Real life finally let down a bit to let me post this. Would love to hear from you.

Barb.
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 01:40 PM
Yay! You used one of my all-time-favorite movies. smile

when she was six years old, sitting on her father's lap and watching that wonderful movie for the very first time as it aired on television.
I have really strong memories of watching it on TV with my parents when I was six . . . <cue TZ theme wink >

&#8220;Reverend Mother always says that when a door closes, somewhere God opens a window.&#8221;
<happy sigh> This is one of my favorite lines. And it gets through to Lois, too -- way to make a line I've always loved resonate more! goofy
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 01:48 PM
Yeah, what she said smile

This was very sweet, Barb, and a nice improvement on the episode <g>

PJ
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 02:06 PM
Beautiful! clap

AnnaBtG.
Posted By: KathyB Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 02:47 PM
Very nice, Barb. smile

It's amazing how many classic movies and books have similarities to L&C. I guess it just shows that L&C have a classic love story -- and this type of story is a classic for a reason, because it's so wonderful and timeless. smile

Thanks for posting! Glad real life let go for a few minutes. smile

Kathy
Posted By: LabRat Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 02:59 PM
Beautiful and sweet, Barb. thumbsup

I have to say that The Sound of Music was never one of my favourite movies - it was a favourite of my mum's and I guess I got force-fed it every holiday for too many years. laugh

But it fits in very nicely here. smile

LabRat smile
Posted By: Laswa Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 03:06 PM
Hey Barb smile

I can't do anything but agree with what everybody else said <g>

Sweet story, loved the Barb-touch with the scene from the Sound of Music and I'm glad you finally had the time to post it <g>.

As I told you, Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies, the first movie I wanted to see over and over again smile And it fits nicely into this story..

Thanks for writing this!

Laswa dance
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 03:08 PM
Hi,

Great story. smile1
Posted By: Trenna Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 07:07 PM
Ditto Barb, sweet story. It really worked.

Thanks for elaborating that the lines were a combination of movie and stage play because as I was reading, I was thinking ...."I don't remember that".. but these lines worked great, wish I'd seen the stage version
Posted By: merry Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 09:11 PM
I'm with the others here Barb.
Beautiful and sweet
merry
Posted By: Saskia Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 09:55 PM
Yeah, what they said. smile This was beautiful and sweet. Nice revelation too. Maybe I should go see Sound of Music soon, for the very first time. blush

Saskia
Posted By: Quel Lane Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 10:01 PM
Awww Barb that was so amazing, sweet, romantic and cute....I could go on forever describing how much your story touched my heart. I loved it very much and I'm glad you took some time to post something so beautiful as this story.

I wasn't feeling well today but you warmed my life with this. Thank you smile

I hope to read more from you soon wink

Raquel smile
Posted By: AnnieM Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/18/03 11:24 PM
Very cute, Barb. I too love The Sound of Music, so this was a great way for Lois to realize what she is doing wrong.

I have to add this though:

You should have seen me when I saw the comments folder for this story. My jaw about hit the floor. I was certain that I'd somehow managed to repost my story in my stupor today (four hours of sleep in the last 36 will do that to a person <G>). About a year and half ago, I wrote an nfic story When One Door Closes. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been tearing it apart and rewriting it as a pg story.

My confusion was only deepened when I opened your story file and saw that the stories begin with the exact same scene. Luckily it only took a couple of paragraphs for me to realize that the stories are vastly different, otherwise who knows how long it would have taken me to get over my confusion. <G>

Annie
Posted By: Cristina Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 01:42 AM
Lovely, Barb! smile1

I really liked the way Lois realized the extent of her feelings. It's amazing how many stories you can find out there that resemble that of Lois and Clark.

Apart from the movie bits, I specially liked this paragraph:

But Lois quickly learned that raindrops and rainbows, blue satin sashes and snowflakes were a part of childhood--and Lois had grown up quickly and put childhood toys, dreams and wishes away in a closet with her idealized vision of her father and closed the door.
Haven't we all felt like that at some point!

Hope real life gives you a break more often (you do have to finish SPIV... peep )

Cris
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 01:53 AM
Very nice, Barb! I loved seeing Lois run to find Clark once she realised that she'd made a mistake. And for once Clark did something sensible! wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 03:43 AM
Barb

A lovely story! smile1

A great idea to use the Sound Of Music!
I love the revelation. goofy

Thanks for sharing this wonderful vignette.

Tricia cool
Posted By: BarbP Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 04:14 AM
Thanks everyone!!!!

Our theatre group did the Sound of Music last summer and yes, there are some differences between stage and movie versions, but the classic love story remains as does Lois and Clark's which is why all of us continue to write about it -- it is timeless.

Hey Annie, hurry up and redo yours -- I'd love to read it.

And Labby, your mum sounds cool!!!! I force fed my children on certain movies and plays and one of them wound up in professional theatre while just the other one sort of resents me.

Again, thanks everyone for the nice words.

Barb.
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 06:10 AM
Hey, I'm late smile

Cute story, Barb smile1

Jose hyper
Posted By: Pelican Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 08:03 AM
Cute little twist of the episode, sending them both faster to the part where they finally can say, "I do." Funny how you let Lois's rambling take out on Superman! smile1
Posted By: Shadow Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 02:57 PM
Fabulous!

The Sound of Music is one of my favorites! My sister laughs at me still because I bought the stage play from Barnes & Noble in the rare book section. goofy It definitely works better than the movie itself for LnC here.

Jen hyper
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 08:34 PM
Aw sweet story. Laura
Posted By: KathyM Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/19/03 10:52 PM
Barb, this is lovely! Count me in with those who've loved The Sound of Music since childhood, so I was rather taken aback when I'm reading these lines that the Captain is saying. That's not in my copy wails through my head. Thanks for your explanation at the end, by the way, otherwise it might have driven me crazy. Your additions to the movie would have been really nice, too. smile

I love the way that Lois starts telling her feelings to Superman, because Clark is the one that she is so confused about. And, as Rivka mentioned, I really like all the doors - both real and metaphorical for both of them. And the revelation was very nice indeed.

Very sweet. Thanks so much for posting it. smile

KathyM
Posted By: RL Re: FDK: When A Door Closes - 08/21/03 02:39 AM
Lovely story, Barb!

I love "Sound of Music." As a big fan of musicals, this was one of my favorites.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards