Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: MaraElaineKent FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 05:29 AM
silence

silence

silence

DAMMIT DAVE!!!

::Mara bursts into tears::

Why'd you have to go and write such a beautiful, heart wrenching, one piece?! Huh?! Why? Why do you insist on making me cry, on reaching to the heart of the LnC love and showing it to everyone and then squishing it so cruelly. That was so beautiful!

::sobs and turns away::

There's a fine line between love and hate, Dave, and you're making me walk it with every piece you write. ::sniffles::
Posted By: FinLi Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 06:14 AM
I LOVED this story.

It was absolutly beautiful.

"Don't you dare," she hissed, cutting him off. "Don't you dare say goodbye. Don't you dare die!"

And it was just her. Just her and her eyes and her voice and her... and it was fading, sliding further away, but he held on. Because it was just her, and he couldn't resist her. Couldn't deny her.

Couldn't do anything but take her hand and smile at her and love her in tune with every fading beat of his heart.
simply, heart breakingly, beautiful.

FinLi
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 06:23 AM
Oh, so beautiful!!

*hugs Clark*

Very nice. Good job! thumbsup

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 07:36 AM
So sad, but so beautiful, Dave! You've definitely still got it. wink Still know now to get our hearts all wrung out with just a few words.

One tiny typo:
the bullet logged inside him.
Think you mean 'lodged'.

Love this!

Wendy smile
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 08:52 AM
...David...

Sequel.

Now.

::shakes fist::
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 09:48 AM
I'm probably not the right person to comment on this, David. But I really, really want to thank you for your serious wham warning.

Second - yes, I did read it, and while it made me really sad, it didn't shatter me, if you can tell the difference. I still felt that Clark might survive this, so it wasn't a complete, no-hope-for-the-future deathfic.

I guess this sort of story will never be one of my favorites... but it was beautifully written, as always. And I guess that, once again, I just wanted to thank you for your very serious wham warning, and for writing this story so that it still leaves us with some little hope for the future!

Ann
Posted By: Dave Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 01:21 PM
Will be back to reply to comments in a bit, but just quickly...

Originally posted by Wendymr:

One tiny typo:
the bullet logged inside him.
Think you mean 'lodged'.
Thanks, Wendy! Right on it. smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 02:22 PM
whinging

Now, see? That's what I call fantastic deathfic. I haven't read one that struck such an emotional chord since I read Dust Devil's 'Beautiful Day' over in the Stargate fandom. Poignant, not maudlin and just beautifully written.

Superb, Dave! Thanks for sharing.

LabRat smile
Posted By: YConnell Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 02:28 PM
Very nice, Dave, but you forgot to post the next bit.

What do you mean, 'what next bit?'

Do I have to spell it out?

Oh, really! Okay, if you insist...

You know, the part where she nurses him back to health? laugh

Yvonne
(seriously, this was lovely smile )
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 04:41 PM
Nice piece smile I love feeling emotion and not just 'reading'.

"Don't you dare," she hissed, cutting him off. "Don't you dare say goodbye. Don't you dare die!"
I too fancy this part.

I tried to fool my brain in not seeing the wham warning though. Oh well, I guess we are not using the wham warning thread now. I'll try and not keep my eyes peeled for it goofy I'm going to print it off, minus the wham, and keep it in my fav binder and when I read it again I should have forgotten smile My husband laughs I need to get a fire proof box for my beloved binder.

I still love that word - wham. I think it would have been appropraite at work today! laugh
Posted By: LabRat Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 05:20 PM
Oh well, I guess we are not using the wham warning thread now.
The WHAM warning thread has never been compulsory, SuperRoo. It's simply one option authors can use if they choose to. Some authors will use it, some will prefer to put a WHAM warning at the head of their story, others will choose not to put in a warning at all. The choice as to which it is is entirely the author's. smile

LabRat smile
Posted By: ezym Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 06:57 PM
Couldn't do anything but take her hand and smile at her and love her in tune with every fading beat of his heart.

mecry Noo...

Beautifully written. This very painful vignette (and that last line in particular) is going to stay in my mind long after I've read it...

I'll add to the chorus of comments from before: Where, oh, where is the sequel?
Posted By: sheilah Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/01/06 08:34 PM
David, I didn't read this fic because you made the wham warning so clear, and reading the comments, that was obviously the right choice for me. Thank you.
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/02/06 09:46 AM
The WHAM warning thread has never been compulsory, SuperRoo. It's simply one option authors can use if they choose to. Some authors will use it, some will prefer to put a WHAM warning at the head of their story, others will choose not to put in a warning at all. The choice as to which it is is entirely the author's.
oh well - thanks smile
Posted By: Nicole S Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/02/06 11:07 PM
Oh... Oh, Dave!! I heart you!!!!!!! notworthy notworthy You can see her worry, her fears...

THANK YOU for writing this! I love it!!!

~NICOLE smile
Posted By: Doranwen Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/03/06 05:57 PM
/me can't speak as she wipes the tears from her eyes, then swallows hard.

Wow. You made me cry. I used to *never* cry for books or fanfic. But thanks to FoLC writers like you (and Sorcha and Wendy and Sara), I seem to be rediscovering the way to cry. Read a *really* sad L&C fic. Like this one. And so *short* too! You hold a record there--no 400 kb buildup to a teary ending necessary for you. Just a powerful whammy super short.

Keep up your writing, 'kay? Just . . . try to write more happy fics? I don't think I can take too much of this weeping stuff.
Posted By: Dave Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/04/06 02:05 AM
I'll be back to reply to comments properly tomorrow night since I have an exam tomorrow (ick razz ). But, just quickly...

Thank you to everyone who left a comment. To everyone who let me know how this made them feel. Even those who just commented to let me know they couldn't read it... thank you all. I really was expecting to be run off... And I'm sorry I'm making some of you walk a fine line. wink

The sequel some of you were clamouring for will be up in a few moments. Just remember... you asked for it...

Dave
Posted By: mmmsquirrel Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/04/06 10:27 AM
Yep. Someone says Deathfic and I'm in. Shocked? You shouldn't be. This was sad. One of the saddest pieces of fanfic I've read. But wonderfully written.

Jenny
(I act like I've read alot of fan fic huh?)
Posted By: Juliet Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/04/06 06:12 PM
I needed angsty deathfic today. Thanks. Between this and the sequel, it was just what the doctor ordered without having to outright ask for it.

But, oh please please post an alternate sequel where Clark actually survives GGGOH? grovel
Posted By: Dave Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/04/06 06:55 PM
*pauses furious study of muscle attachments and looks up...*

Originally posted by Juliet:
But, oh please please post an alternate sequel where Clark actually survives GGGOH? grovel
You have an alternate sequel where Clark survives. You don't need me to tell you that story, you've already heard it. wink

Dave (who really will be back to reply to comments properly later... he hopes...)
Posted By: Juliet Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/04/06 08:50 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dave7:
<strong> *pauses furious study of muscle attachments and looks up...*

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Juliet:
<strong> But, oh please please post an alternate sequel where Clark actually survives GGGOH? razz mad wildguy wildguy wildguy
Posted By: Dave Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/05/06 02:47 PM
Okay, I'm back... a little later than expected, but... <g>

DAMMIT DAVE!!!

::Mara bursts into tears::
Is it bad that I laughed at that? devil

Thank you for your comments though, youd fdk always puts a smile on my face.

So sad, but so beautiful, Dave! You've definitely still got it.
/me blows on the smoking tip and reholsters his pencil...

Seriously though, thank you, and again, thank you for pointing out the error. smile (The error I forgot to change in the main file when I sent it off to the archive... blush )

Now, see? That's what I call fantastic deathfic.
Wow. Thank you!

Oh, really! Okay, if you insist...

You know, the part where she nurses him back to health?
Single-handedly while rearing three children on a farm stead in a fledging country town... oh wait. D'oh! That was Dr. Quinn...

Nice piece I love feeling emotion and not just 'reading'.
I think that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever gotten about my writing. smile Thank you.

And also:

Oh well, I guess we are not using the wham warning thread now. I'll try and not keep my eyes peeled for it
Sorry 'bout that. <g> I didn't think the thread would be appropriate for a short, one page fic.

This very painful vignette (and that last line in particular) is going to stay in my mind long after I've read it...
Wow. smile

That last line was one of my favourites too... and one of the reasons I decided to leave the ending ambigious... I couldn't bring myself to part with it. <g>

THANK YOU for writing this! I love it!!!
I'm tempted to quote... oh... everything you said, but I'll contain myself to saying... You're very, very welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile

Keep up your writing, 'kay? Just . . . try to write more happy fics? I don't think I can take too much of this weeping stuff.
Yes, ma'am. And thank you for letting me know how this made you feel. smile

Shocked?
Very. <g> But thanks for the comments, Jen. smile

And finally...

Grrrrrrr...... You knew what I meant!
Yes, I did. <g> But my answer is still the same... And, much as I love the story of Lois and Clark together... I'm loathe to write an alternate sequel.

If you really want to see one, you - or anybody else willing to take up the task, are welcome to write one. smile

And again, thank you to everyone for commenting. smile

Dave
Posted By: Juliet Re: FDK: Just Her 1/1 - 05/05/06 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Dave7:
And finally...

Grrrrrrr...... You knew what I meant!
Yes, I did. <g> But my answer is still the same... And, much as I love the story of Lois and Clark together... I'm loathe to write an alternate sequel.

If you really want to see one, you - or anybody else willing to take up the task, are welcome to write one. smile

And again, thank you to everyone for commenting. smile

Dave [/QB]
Watch it. I might just take you up on that challenge. angel-devil
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards