Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: lovetvfan FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/17/22 05:52 PM
What do you think? I wrote something under 1000 words! YAY
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/17/22 06:16 PM
I love it! Poor Lois, falling into the same patterns she knew from her childhood...but so glad she has Clark to rescue her!
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/17/22 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
I love it! Poor Lois, falling into the same patterns she knew from her childhood...but so glad she has Clark to rescue her!

Yeah it's so easy to fall into the patterns of our parents. Thanks!
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/17/22 06:52 PM
It’s SOOOOOOO sad but SOOOO perfect!! mecry

Well, and of course a happy ending!! But I was so tense and sad for like… SO MANY WORDS!
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/17/22 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by KSaraSara
It’s SOOOOOOO sad but SOOOO perfect!! mecry

Well, and of course a happy ending!! But I was so tense and sad for like… SO MANY WORDS!

Ha ha! Not THAT many words, cause it's only 981 lol
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/17/22 10:41 PM
Welp, I need some tissues. cry
The emotion was amazing. So much crammed in such few words. Glad Lois is able to finally realize she can leave the Lane traditions behind. She has her own family now.
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/18/22 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Welp, I need some tissues. cry
The emotion was amazing. So much crammed in such few words. Glad Lois is able to finally realize she can leave the Lane traditions behind. She has her own family now.

It was quite a challenge to try to get the story to fit under 1000 words. I had to cut quite a bit. Thanks!!
Posted By: SuperBek Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/18/22 08:23 AM
Love, love, love what you did with this! Lois's reflection on how she's acting like her mother, perceiving her daughter's reactions as she does, and then the conclusion--perfect!

Is this short story challenge week?? smile1

-Bek
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/18/22 10:51 AM
Beautifully done. I love that Lois is able to recognize how her past was affecting her and then trying to move on.
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/18/22 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by SuperBek
Love, love, love what you did with this! Lois's reflection on how she's acting like her mother, perceiving her daughter's reactions as she does, and then the conclusion--perfect!

Is this short story challenge week?? smile1

-Bek

Thank you! I wanted to focus on the way we process how our childhood affects us and the way we try to fix it as parents. Don't know if it's an official challenge week or people just jumping on the bandwagon but it's great!!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/19/22 04:51 PM
Heart-wrenchingly sweet. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/22/22 07:39 PM
Hi lovetvfan!

This was a bit of a challenge as most of my stories are 20 000 words or longer so writing something under 1000 words was difficult.
We may gave discussed a support group back in the day. I’m sure Sara would love to join, too.

Set in the future, Lois attempts to untangle Christmas lights for the tree. Clark and the kids offer to help, but Lois is determined. After all, it’s her job to put up the lights. It’s a Lane family tradition.
Oh boy.
TEMPUS: /hides nylon thread and crazy glue/ The chance to finally win against Lois has never been greater.

And every year she found herself using language she never used otherwise in front of Audrey and Rose, their two girls, now aged 5 and 7, as she desperately tried to straighten out the Christmas tree lights.
Awww, the lil ones will learn to only curse at Christmas!

"I would point out, honey, that I did offer to help you.”
They shape up to be most adorable.

This was supposed to be fun, wasn’t it?
*Ding*
Just a sec, I think my popcorn’s ready.

“Can I do the honours?” Clark asked, and she couldn’t help but notice the hesitancy in his voice.
He doesn’t die when electrocuted.

“The fuse must be blown,” Lois muttered.
I have a new DFCB here if you need to jam in a replacement fuse.

“Daddy was just trying to help, Mommy,” Rose said softly. And there it was. That tone. Lois knew that tone. Had grown up with that tone. That tone spoke of walking on eggshells. Of tempers flaring, wine glasses and spilled merlot.
Oh boy

“Maybe we could put them up as a family. Maybe we could make our own tradition.”
Sounds reasonable.

“A new tradition. Sounds perfect.” End
Lois still has a bit of learning to do, I gather. The others are correct, it’s a strong mixture of fun and sadness. Well crafted clap

wave Michael
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/22/22 09:03 PM
Wonderfully written! Started out funny, then it became heart-wrenching as Lois's frustration grew!

“No, I have to put them up,” she insisted, not even certain why it mattered anymore.

I love this line!

Great work, Sara, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/22/22 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by scifiJoan
Beautifully done. I love that Lois is able to recognize how her past was affecting her and then trying to move on.

Thank you! It was hard to write something this short so I am glad it worked!
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/22/22 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Toomi8
Heart-wrenchingly sweet. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for reading!
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/22/22 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Hi lovetvfan!

This was a bit of a challenge as most of my stories are 20 000 words or longer so writing something under 1000 words was difficult.
We may gave discussed a support group back in the day. I’m sure Sara would love to join, too.

Set in the future, Lois attempts to untangle Christmas lights for the tree. Clark and the kids offer to help, but Lois is determined. After all, it’s her job to put up the lights. It’s a Lane family tradition.
Oh boy.
TEMPUS: /hides nylon thread and crazy glue/ The chance to finally win against Lois has never been greater.

And every year she found herself using language she never used otherwise in front of Audrey and Rose, their two girls, now aged 5 and 7, as she desperately tried to straighten out the Christmas tree lights.
Awww, the lil ones will learn to only curse at Christmas!

"I would point out, honey, that I did offer to help you.”
They shape up to be most adorable.

This was supposed to be fun, wasn’t it?
*Ding*
Just a sec, I think my popcorn’s ready.

“Can I do the honours?” Clark asked, and she couldn’t help but notice the hesitancy in his voice.
He doesn’t die when electrocuted.

“The fuse must be blown,” Lois muttered.
I have a new DFCB here if you need to jam in a replacement fuse.

“Daddy was just trying to help, Mommy,” Rose said softly. And there it was. That tone. Lois knew that tone. Had grown up with that tone. That tone spoke of walking on eggshells. Of tempers flaring, wine glasses and spilled merlot.
Oh boy

“Maybe we could put them up as a family. Maybe we could make our own tradition.”
Sounds reasonable.

“A new tradition. Sounds perfect.” End
Lois still has a bit of learning to do, I gather. The others are correct, it’s a strong mixture of fun and sadness. Well crafted clap

wave Michael

Oh wow, thank you for such wonderful detailed feedback! I appreciate you taking the time! Thank you!
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK A Family Tradition 1/1 - 11/22/22 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Anna B. the Greek
Wonderfully written! Started out funny, then it became heart-wrenching as Lois's frustration grew!

“No, I have to put them up,” she insisted, not even certain why it mattered anymore.

I love this line!

Great work, Sara, thanks for sharing!

Oh wow, thank you! I have a lot of trouble with short stories and you are so good at them so I appreciate it!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards