Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ShayneT Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/19/05 07:08 PM
Well, I know this is a little departure from SWK, but let me know what you think.
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/19/05 07:45 PM
Hi,

This is very interesting. thumbsup

thumbsup

MAF thumbsup
Posted By: BrightFeather Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/19/05 08:01 PM
Kara. As in Supergirl, yes? <G> I know Nan's used the concept of children left over from Lord Nor's invasion, and GMTA, because both Jenni and I have had the same notions. wink Nice little character sketch, Shayne.

BrightFeather
Posted By: Onaleia Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/19/05 09:08 PM
It's a different flavor than SWK, perhaps partly because of the first-person POV. I'm impressed.

Wise of Clark to avoid adopting anyone until they've established as Kryptonian if he's going to end up with more than one.

This works for me as a stand-alone story; you've ended it on a very positive note.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/19/05 10:42 PM
Actually, Shayne did the 'children of the Nor invasion' thing way back in Hearts and Diamonds, Laura - but it's definitely very logical and makes for fascinating fiction.

This is beautifully written, Shayne - poignant and very sad, from Kara's point of view, then suddenly hopeful as she realises that she might not be the only person who's 'different' any more. Really nicely done!

Just one question: how did Clark find out about her? confused

Wendy smile
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/20/05 09:00 AM
Oh, this was fascinating... poor Kara. (And how prescient of her mother to name her that!) There were a few unclear bits -- at first it seemed like this was Clark's first visit (actually, for a bit there, I wasn't even sure if it was Clark or Jonathan) but then she was reacting like he'd visited before, so I was a bit confused.

And how did he locate her? Investigate all the pregnancies in Metropolis & Smallville at the proper times and then watch the possibles? That'd be a lot of work, though if anyone could do it, it would be Lane & Kent. Or just keep an ear out for tales of mysteriously-started fires? Also a lot of work...

This really is a good premise -- we could get a *lot* of good stories along these lines. Actually, this could work in a story idea I abandoned years ago... but I can't think about that until I finish some other things.

Anyway, good job -- another quietly emotional vignette, which seem to be one of your specialties.

PJ
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/20/05 04:01 PM
Nicely done.

James
Posted By: Dave Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/20/05 09:37 PM
Great little story.

I'm a fan of the POV, I liked not knowing at first, it unfolded before my eyes.

David (Going to look up the aforementioned stories)
Posted By: TriciaW Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/23/05 01:23 AM
Shayne

An excellent story! smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: Helga Re: Comments: Orphan Dreams - 07/23/05 11:44 AM
Oh oh oh. I've just read Hearts and Diamonds again, and now I find this. smile1

I like it.

Sure, there could be more explanation, but I don't think it needs it, I think it stands all by itself. We've got imaginations, we can fill in the gaps.

Thanks you smile

Helga
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards