Lois & Clark Forums
Awwwwwww! That's very sweet and romantic and waffy and... *happy sigh*

Happy birthday Erin party , it's good you had one, wouldn't have wanted to miss this story.

It was great as ever, Wendy. The conversation with Lucy, the memory's, the talk with Clark and then... SMOOCHIES!!!! wink

Saskia
Wendy, all I can say is... wow.

Okay, maybe that's not all I can say. Slight exaggeration. smile But, seriously, what a wonderful story. At first when I started reading it, I thought that it had been done before. But before I got more than a few paragraphs in, I realized how wrong I was. Lucy pointed out just the right things, and it was hilarious the way she did it. I liked how you built on real events but added "side events" that might have happened offscreen and made perfect sense. It was easy to picture Lois linking her arm in Clark's, or poking him, patting him on the back, or hugging him when she got a strike (what's less imaginable to me is that Lois would stoop to go bowling enough to be good enough to get a strike!).

It made perfect sense to me that Lois would then go and bring up Lucy's conversation to Clark... I think we all do that when we hear that somebody might like us, we want to feel them out and know for sure. And especially after Lois realized that she might have some feelings for Clark herself, it was so right that she'd bring it up, making it seem as if it was ridiculous and she didn't care, but at the same time wanting to use it to find out how he felt. And when he let her know... it was so perfect. They both led each other closer and closer, neither being forced to take a really big step until, in my opinion, they both pretty much knew what the other would say. That seemed more real to me than declarations without any idea of how the other felt. And Clark, taking that last jump, expressed himself beautifully. It's no wonder Lois was quick to give in herself. *happy sigh*

It made so much sense to me that Lois planned, all along, to use Lucy's questioning as a springboard. With Lois's intelligence, and yet inexperience (yes, inexperience, because despite her relationships, I don't think she's ever really had a serious, mature relationship) with men, I could really see her using Lucy's words to speak for herself, to see what Clark felt.

The ending was, of course, perfect, WAFFy, and all things good. And I liked their "favor" to be returned to Lucy... not sure how Lucy will see it, may depend on Jimmy's behavior at dinner. *grin* But either way, I think things will work out wonderfully for our beloved couple. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story, Wendy, and thank you to Erin for having a birthday! Happy birthday, Erin!
Lois's self denial of her closeness to clark is just perfect smile
Even if they had been... well, wow.
And I loved Lucy's contribution to the WAFFiness.

In awe as always of your talent,
HC wave
Awww, Wendy, that was wonderful!!! goofy
Awwwwww! <waffy sigh>

It'll be hard to write coherent comments when I'm melting, but I'll try. wink

Ok, first off, I really liked the premise. Lucy may not always make the best choices, but neither is she stupid. Nice to see that -- and sufficient confidence in her assessment to stand up to Lois' denials. smile

Now for specifics:
Even if they had been... well, wow.
:rolleyes: Well, that might have been a tip-off.

&#8220;But... but he deceived her! He lied! And he was responsible for plotting the deaths of hundreds of people! Heck, he would have killed Molly!! she'd pointed out to her partner.
Oops, typo I think? Either two quotation marks or none...

switching back to the present
I can't believe that this works, but it does, brilliantly! laugh

Does she think I wouldn't know if we were dating! Lois muttered indignantly to herself.
Su-ure, because Lois is always able to see those close to her completely objectively.

&#8220;Like he's dying of thirst and you're the clear, fresh water. Like when he's with you he's got everything in the world he wants. Like you're the most precious possession he has..."
WOW! <melting>

&#8220;Don't knock yourself out, Lois,&#8221; he responded dryly
goofy
Wendy,

That was so sweet! I absolutely love how Lois reacted to Lucy's observation. The fact that he was more scared of telling her that he loved her than telling her that he was Superman was really sweet smile .

- Alicia smile1
ditto: Awwwwwww!
That was very simple, very sweet, very well done. blush

doublel
I love these stories where Lucy comes in and basically tells Lois to wise up about Clark. This was done very nicely. Lots of WAFFs smile1 after a large dose recently of lots of angst and WHAM fics.

I also really like the understated revelation, done with a bit of humor.

Great story! Maybe some more people can have birthdays soon. laugh

Happy birthday, Erin!

notworthy notworthy
Hi,

Beautiful story. drool

MAF laugh
PS
party Happy Birthday,Erin! party
Wonderfully waffy and sweet, Wendy. Lucy did a great job of getting under Lois' skin just enough to needle her into questioning it. As others have mentioned, the bits that you had Lucy mention about the way that they acted together, even before they were a couple, were so very "them".

Until I got to the relevant paragraph, I hadn't realized that Lois telling Clark about her conversation with Lucy was a calculated reasoning on her part. Never even occurred to me. I did like the way that Clark responded to all of Lois' comments: he played it calmly and carefully, not moving forward too quickly but being a little more confident and assertive than we often see him portrayed during this era.

And naturally I loved this... smile
His hand slid along her jawline and tilted her face up towards his. “I love you too,” he murmured softly.

And then his lips touched hers.

And she understood then that all their previous kisses had been no more than a rehearsal for this moment: their first real kiss. His movements were initially tentative then, as she responded, more confident. Assertive.

Passionate.

Excitement. Passion. And her best friend - all rolled up in one. The perfect relationship.
And another very calm - and oh so subtle - revelation. You're so very good at that. smile I almost missed this one too. I obviously have to be on the watch for these in the future...and obviously I need to slow down and stop reading so quickly...

Time to climb out of the waffy puddle of goo...and say Happy Birthday, Erin! dance

KathyM
Wendy

WOW! What a wonderful story! smile1

I'm so glad that Lois decides to tell Clark about their conversation.
The revelation is just perfect! So WAFFy! goofy

Thanks for sharing this lovely, extremely well-written story.

Happy Birthday, Erin! party

Tricia cool
Hey Wendy

Wow... a cute story

blush

Happy Birthday Erin dance
DocJill said:
/me melts into a pile of goo and then borrows Saskia's mop...
So that's what the mop was for! Call me slow, but I had wondered.

I'm obviously a hard woman, because I didn't melt. I did however laugh out loud on several occasions, and I did feel a very warm glow somewhere behind my ribcage. What an absolutely fantastic feel-good story!

One minor quibble: you mention a near deathbed reconciliation; I think that should simply be a near death reconciliation. (They weren't anywhere near a bed, as far as I can remember! wink )

Others have commented on how wonderful the Lucy / Lois conversation was, and all I can really say here is, me too.

Oddly, I wasn't so keen on the idea that Lois had planned / engineered the conversation; I think I would probably have just left it as Lois having blindly entered into it. Then again, that's just me.

I did love:
“Lois, I love you,” he told her solemnly. “That’s me, Clark. And me, Superman. We both love you. And that’s my biggest secret of all - the one I’ve been most scared of you finding out.”

“That you’re Superman?” she said slowly, still clearly in shock.

He shook his head. “That wasn’t half as scary as the thought of you finding out that I love you. At least, while I thought there was no chance that you’d ever feel the same way about me.”
But then, why in the series did he have so much trouble with the revelation after he'd realised that Lois did, in fact, love him!? I much prefer this version of events. smile

All in all, delightful, Wendy.

And thank you Erin, for having had the birthday that inspired this! Happy birthday. smile

Chris
Wendy
Awwww, wonderfully sweet and WAFFY story!
I liked Lucy's role and how you described Lois reaction to her sister's observations.
You portrayed Lois sooo accurately! It was like seeing it on TV. I could really see here before me, acting and reacting!
Nice relevations scene, too!
All in all:
notworthy

Erin
Happy, happy, happy Birthday! party

~Sira
GREAT! I love it! thumbsup thumbsup

Good work.
(As usual wink )

Clark remained where he was, waiting for Lois to realise just what she’d said.
dance dance dance

party

AnnaBtG.
Yeah, what they said! smile

No one's mentioned my favorite bit yet, tho.
“Well, you know how you always wanted to fly with Superman?” he prompted.

“I have flown with him!”

“Yeah, I know. And very nice it was too.” He smiled reminiscently.
I *love* that reminiscent smile... very sweet, and also kinda hilarious goofy

Happy Birthday, Erin! smile

PJ
I can only echo what has been said, Wendy smile

I love it .. it was wnoderfully WAFFy. For a Kid Sister, Lucy's awfully smart! <G>

notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy

Happy Birthday, Erin!!!!
And I'm echoing everyone else's comments as well. smile Lovely and very sweet story, Wendy. I particularly enjoyed the quiet, peaceful atmosphere surrounding the scenes you wrote, which showed the depth of Lois and Clark's friendship for each other even before they got any further. smile

And happy birthday, Erin! party

Kaethel smile
Wendy -- superb as always!!! thumbsup

You are so very talented. hyper

S (who now has a big smile and waff with her to head into her day with!! laugh )
Awww! Wendy!!

Loved how Lucy simply stated the obvious to Lois and her thought processes that followed.

Hooray for Clark and how he didn't miss the opportunity to correct his undeclaration of love in front of the Daily Planet.

Just lovely! clap

Missy
Fantastic. As always smile

The scene with Lois and Lucy in the cafe was great... Lucy knew exactly what she was doing, didn't she <g>

And Happy Birthday Erin!

Helga
Lemme borrow that mop. I really am puddling here on the couch; that was so sweet. *sniff*

Happy b-day Erin

Jen
really needs to mop herself up so she can catch up on more fic
You're having them set Lucy up on a blind date with Jimmy? Jimmy!

I thought you liked Lucy?

Tank (who can't imagine a fate more horrible for the young woman)
I've got the flu, so I can't *sit* for very long without having back aches, feeling like an eighty-year-old woman who just got hit with a bat, so I have to make this short.

*Wonderful*!!!! (as always) Great birthday story! laugh

Pelican smile1
All right, who are you, and what have you done with Wendy? goofy

THRILL as Lois and Clark have an honest conversation devoid of angst!

GASP as there are no stupid misunderstandings or recriminations to destroy the moment!

CHEER at a delightful revelation that's one of the most charming I've ever seen!

I guess it all comes down to fic length with you, Wendy. The short fics are angst-free. Hope Tank took his meds. goofy

Happy birthday, Erin, and Wendy, thanks for a really lovely story. smile

Hazel
Wendy
I loved it
ditto others
merry
Oops
I forgot to wish Erin a Happy Birthday.

Happy Birthday Erin.
sorry it's late
merry
Cool! hyper
Ok, this WAS great but... what is happening to you, Wendy? The last three things you posted here lacked WHams... I can't believe Saskia didn't bring it up... Where's the death? The destruction? laugh Hey, don't get me wrong, I love waff and smoochies, I was just worried about you goofy

This was really nice; I mean it(yes, even after the previous paragraph!) cool

Cris
I can't believe Saskia didn't bring it up... Where's the death? The destruction?
Hey! Now why should I have brought that up? I never ask for that, now do I? Apart from one story that is.

For the rest I like the whaffy vignettes and the smoochies. So why should I complain? I liked reading this as it is. wink

So where did I get that image of asking for death and destruction? I'm just very sweet and innocent!

Saskia
Honestly, I thought I replied to this comment thread. I'm sorry, Wendy -- maybe my loopiness from the other night is still affecting me [g]

In any case, though, I just wanted to say that I *really* enjoyed reading this one! Erin's a lucky birthday gal! (Btw, hope you had a good one, Erin!!) I thought the Lucy/Lois conversation was very well done. I liked those little flashbacks you gave us, like the bowling -- aww, I could just see that happening!

One thing I liked in particular was Lois's logic in that one para -- 'I couldn't imagine a better husband than my best friend. Oh, yeah, Clark, you're my best friend!' goofy That was hilarious.

Thanks for a terrific read!

Tracey smile
One word - Wow! Truly, Wendy, you've outdone yourself again!

Wonderful stuff - I especially like the ending!

Sara.

P.S. Happy birthday, Erin!
Way behind, lots to catch up with and little time - and everyone seems to have got here before me and said everything possible there is to be said. goofy So...what they all said.

A very enjoyable little vignette, Wendy. clap

LabRat smile
I’m stunned! It’s truly wonderful to see so much feedback and so many encouraging comments and suggestions. These boards are fantastic!!

So many of you mentioned particular things, such as Lucy’s recounting of the bowling incident and Lois and Clark feeding each other pizza (yes, I made those incidents up, but they seemed to be pretty typical of the way Lois and Clark were with each other socially, and it gave Lucy an opportunity to have been an observer of the two of them being... more than friendly wink ):

At first when I started reading it, I thought that it had been done before. But before I got more than a few paragraphs in, I realized how wrong I was. Lucy pointed out just the right things, and it was hilarious the way she did it. I liked how you built on real events but added "side events" that might have happened offscreen and made perfect sense. It was easy to picture Lois linking her arm in Clark's, or poking him, patting him on the back, or hugging him when she got a strike (what's less imaginable to me is that Lois would stoop to go bowling enough to be good enough to get a strike!).
So thanks; I’m really delighted that those scenes went over well.

Pam mentioned the understated revelation; it’s a relief that some, or perhaps most, of you found that believable. Yes, in a longer story Lois wouldn’t react quite so gently, and there’d be much more discussion, but we can say that the explanations will all come later, when Lois has had a chance to get used to the information and when she’s tired of kissing Clark. smile1
So sorry Wendy and Erin that this is so late. Real life is taking over at the moment and this really great story just slipped through my weekly scans of the boards!
Everyone has pretty much commented on everything that is great about this fic, including the bowling scene, the smoochies and the great revelation but I did want to add...

Excitement. Passion. And her best friend - all rolled up in one. The perfect relationship.
This is a great line and a completely true statement.

Happy Birthday Erin! dance Sorry I’m so late, and thank you Wendy for a beautiful story.

Sarah-Jayne smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards