Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Deadly Chakram FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/19/14 11:33 PM
I do have a companion piece that views the event from Lois' angle. I should have it polished and posted in a day or so (I hope!)
Posted By: KatherineKent Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 03:21 AM
Yay, can't wait. Bring on the revelation for Lois ...

Loved it.
Posted By: Lady Loisette Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 03:37 AM
Silly Clark. Did he really think that Lois wouldn’t recognize his terrible bowling, not to mention his reaction when he did poorly during the tournament, after having just spent an afternoon at the bowling alley together a few days prior? Even if she was only suspicious watching his awkward bowling, he definitely gave himself away when he reacted the same way as both Clark and Superman when he didn’t do well.

Fun story. I’m looking forward to the version from Lois’ view.
Posted By: Christina Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 05:21 AM
Ah yes, Bowling. Probably one of the only sports I's ever played semi-regularly (and one of the few things hubby and I kind of enjoy doing together, even if we don't do it too much anymore.) My church had a league growing up, and mom used to send us with my grandparents to a lane once a week (they bowled in a seniors league). As I got older grandma would get us a lane and between each ball grandpa would come over to critique it (it sounded like criticism but looking back I know it was done in love). He used to watch bowling on TV from time to time. Not to mention St. Louis had been the home to the International bowling hall of fame until about six years ago. I'm not very good anymore but I'm sure I intimidate my friends for the first couple of frames (I have my own ball and shoes).
Posted By: Annie B. Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 07:20 AM
I figured that Lois would catch on to Clark's secret when he ate the fries with his left hand.

Good story.
Posted By: KenJ Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 07:47 AM
Hi Vicki,

Wonderful story!

I couldn't decide what gave him away the most. I think I'll throw in my vote along with AnnieB. I think it was eating Bruve's fries with his left hand.
Posted By: Ingeborg Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 08:36 AM
Hi. This was a nice story. The bit about the left hand reminded me of the dart scene where Clark alternates hands to throw the darts. I don't remember if he ate with his left hand on the show, but it was an interesting idea for a revelation.

I would like to read her side of the story.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:13 AM
Originally posted by KatherineKent:
Yay, can't wait. Bring on the revelation for Lois ...

Loved it.
Thanks! And yes, it's quite the revelation, isn't it?
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Lady Loisette:
Silly Clark. Did he really think that Lois wouldn’t recognize his terrible bowling, not to mention his reaction when he did poorly during the tournament, after having just spent an afternoon at the bowling alley together a few days prior? Even if she was only suspicious watching his awkward bowling, he definitely gave himself away when he reacted the same way as both Clark and Superman when he didn’t do well.

Fun story. I’m looking forward to the version from Lois’ view.
Thank you! Poor Clark was so self-conscious that he didn't even realize how badly he was giving himself away. (That, and he relaxed a little too much at having Bruce there.)
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Christina:
Ah yes, Bowling. Probably one of the only sports I's ever played semi-regularly (and one of the few things hubby and I kind of enjoy doing together, even if we don't do it too much anymore.) My church had a league growing up, and mom used to send us with my grandparents to a lane once a week (they bowled in a seniors league). As I got older grandma would get us a lane and between each ball grandpa would come over to critique it (it sounded like criticism but looking back I know it was done in love). He used to watch bowling on TV from time to time. Not to mention St. Louis had been the home to the International bowling hall of fame until about six years ago. I'm not very good anymore but I'm sure I intimidate my friends for the first couple of frames (I have my own ball and shoes).
My husband used to bowl in a league when he was a kid. So he's tried to help me with my own less-that-desirable bowling skills. Too bad I'm still not all that good at it. His attempts to help me actually prompted the idea for this fic a while back.

Thanks for reading!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Annie B.:
I figured that Lois would catch on to Clark's secret when he ate the fries with his left hand.

Good story.
Ah! Good catch. Did it help? You'll see! laugh
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:21 AM
Originally posted by KenJ:
Hi Vicki,

Wonderful story!

I couldn't decide what gave him away the most. I think I'll throw in my vote along with AnnieB. I think it was eating Bruve's fries with his left hand.
Hi, Ken!

Thanks for the kind words. You'll see all the little things that caught Lois' attention in the next fic. Pray my girls go to bed without issues tonight so I can get it re-read, re-edited, and posted. smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Ingeborg:
Hi. This was a nice story. The bit about the left hand reminded me of the dart scene where Clark alternates hands to throw the darts. I don't remember if he ate with his left hand on the show, but it was an interesting idea for a revelation.

I would like to read her side of the story.
Hi there! Thanks! Clark does occasionally eat with his left hand. I remember reading somewhere (or maybe it was brought up in on of the panels Dean has done during conventions) that he does eat with his left hand sometimes. Something about his old principal in school who'd lost his right hand in an accident. It struck a chord with Dean and he's eaten with his left since.
Posted By: DebbieG Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:27 AM
Cute story! I could see the revelation coming, but the ride was fun.

Checkhov's French Fries?
wink
Posted By: DebbieG Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 11:28 AM
Sigh. "Chekhov's French Fries." I need a beta for my posts. wallbash
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 02:41 PM
clap Great story, DC! Loved it so much! Between him being a terrible bowler and eating the fries with his left hand and giving himself away-- just great! I'm assuming that there's going to be a version from Lois' perspective coming soon? Can't wait! dance
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 03:40 PM
Loved it, loved it, LOVED it! laugh Everything from Lois and Clark to Superman bowling to Bruce "Batman" Wayne was pure gold. My only complaint is that I need more. Hopefully the companion piece solves this problem. smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 07:47 PM
Originally posted by DebbieG:
Cute story! I could see the revelation coming, but the ride was fun.

Checkhov's French Fries?
wink
laugh Thank you! Poor Clark - outted by a fry!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
clap Great story, DC! Loved it so much! Between him being a terrible bowler and eating the fries with his left hand and giving himself away-- just great! I'm assuming that there's going to be a version from Lois' perspective coming soon? Can't wait! dance
Hi, Mouse!

You assume correctly. Working on polishing the other half as we speak. And thought it would be hilarious to see Superman suck at something. laugh
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/20/14 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
Loved it, loved it, LOVED it! laugh Everything from Lois and Clark to Superman bowling to Bruce "Batman" Wayne was pure gold. My only complaint is that I need more. Hopefully the companion piece solves this problem. smile
Thank you! More to come very soon. Hope it lives up to your expectations. smile
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/22/14 06:43 PM
I can't help but wonder if Bruce knew what was going on between Lois and Superman. Nice to see him added into this story.

Oh yeah, that must have been a really large container of French fries! rotflol
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/22/14 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Morgana:
I can't help but wonder if Bruce knew what was going on between Lois and Superman. Nice to see him added into this story.

Oh yeah, that must have been a really large container of French fries! rotflol
Bruce knows exactly what's going on. I actually considered writing in Clark hearing him whisper "busted." I still might, when I prep it for the archive.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/23/14 12:12 PM
Perfect! Who better to appreciate Superman's predicament than 'The Bat'!

Nice guest appearance for Lex as well.

Great to have you back DC!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/23/14 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Morgana:
Perfect! Who better to appreciate Superman's predicament than 'The Bat'!

Nice guest appearance for Lex as well.

Great to have you back DC!
Thanks, Morgana! It's good to be back, even if sporadically.
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/23/14 07:49 PM
I really like the part of the story been through so far. However I have to say I was a bit confused.

When I saw DEA, I said to myself "so this is post Dan". Then I realized that it wasn't. In Canon, we do not run into the DEA until Dan shows up, although one would think the DEA would have wanted to go after Miranda after Lois and Clark exposed what she was up to.

It was the EPA that was the agency they were allegedly dealing with in Smallville.

I also am missing how what Lois and Clark are doing at the start of the story is anything but a date. If it doesn't count as a date, I will have to revise down the number of dates I have been on. They are bowling together, just the two of them, and Clark is buying her food. That sounds like a date to me.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/23/14 08:28 PM
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I really like the part of the story been through so far. However I have to say I was a bit confused.

When I saw DEA, I said to myself "so this is post Dan". Then I realized that it wasn't. In Canon, we do not run into the DEA until Dan shows up, although one would think the DEA would have wanted to go after Miranda after Lois and Clark exposed what she was up to.

It was the EPA that was the agency they were allegedly dealing with in Smallville.

I also am missing how what Lois and Clark are doing at the start of the story is anything but a date. If it doesn't count as a date, I will have to revise down the number of dates I have been on. They are bowling together, just the two of them, and Clark is buying her food. That sounds like a date to me.
Hi, John! wave

Whoops, I may have written in the wrong agency abbreviation. Thanks for pointing it out.

I've definitely been out with my best guy friend where we'll cover each other's costs. I might have gotten the movie tickets one time, he might have gotten it the next. And trust me, we never dated.

I also don't see it as any different than all the times Clark bought lunch/breakfast/coffee for Lois in the early days before they were dating. Sure, covering the bowling as well as the food is slightly more, but he's Clark and was raised "old school" to treat the lady, at least, I would assume.

Thanks for reading!
Posted By: John Lambert Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/23/14 08:33 PM
Along the same notes, I think Clark was stupid to turn down going to the celebrity event with Lois. It isn't like Superman needs to be there the whole time. He can have an emergency delay his arrival, so he can really arrive with Lois, and then have to wander off.

OK, it is not ideal, but I am still surprised he gave up time to spend with Lois.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/23/14 08:40 PM
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Along the same notes, I think Clark was stupid to turn down going to the celebrity event with Lois. It isn't like Superman needs to be there the whole time. He can have an emergency delay his arrival, so he can really arrive with Lois, and then have to wander off.

OK, it is not ideal, but I am still surprised he gave up time to spend with Lois.
True, but he had no idea how long he would actually manage to stay in the tournament. So it would be really hard to make plans with her. And I doubt he would have been able to get into the event hours after it started. He and everyone else in Metropolis would be attempting to.
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/25/14 10:11 PM
I was surprised at first that Bruce Wayne didn't win the tournament (because, you know, he's Batman, and he's trained his physical abilities to perfection.)

Then I realized that OF COURSE he was being safely incognito by being just bad enough to fall out in the middle rounds, among the other celebrities, so no one would think twice about him.

Or perhaps it's that Bruce wants it perceived that bowling is too plebeian a sport for billionaire Bruce Wayne. I'm sure he would rather have the paparazzi think that he usually plays polo, but he's going to be in this bowling tournament because it's for charity and it's a photo op for Wayne Enterprises. Then he'll do not-so-well at the tournament, and further distance his billionaire identity from his Caped Crusader identity. When you don't have the ability to change your costume at super-speed, you have to think of these things. laugh

The rest of the fic? Loads of fun!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/25/14 10:57 PM
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
I was surprised at first that Bruce Wayne didn't win the tournament (because, you know, he's Batman, and he's trained his physical abilities to perfection.)

Then I realized that OF COURSE he was being safely incognito by being just bad enough to fall out in the middle rounds, among the other celebrities, so no one would think twice about him.

Or perhaps it's that Bruce wants it perceived that bowling is too plebeian a sport for billionaire Bruce Wayne. I'm sure he would rather have the paparazzi think that he usually plays polo, but he's going to be in this bowling tournament because it's for charity and it's a photo op for Wayne Enterprises. Then he'll do not-so-well at the tournament, and further distance his billionaire identity from his Caped Crusader identity. When you don't have the ability to change your costume at super-speed, you have to think of these things. laugh

The rest of the fic? Loads of fun!
Thanks, Io! Yeah, I'm sure Bruce is laying low with what he's capable of. Or maybe, just like Clark, for all his physical prowess, he's not a great bowler either - though better than Clark!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/26/14 01:32 PM
Hi Vicki!

The only real specifications were that someone's secret be revealed. This is what my twisted muse came up with.
Superman: Lois, I can’t bowl.

"You can't honestly tell me that you, of all people, aren't all about sports competition, Mr. College Football Player."
No, he was more in it for the cheerleaders. And they really were in it for the looks of the players.

"And a high school friend went to college on a bowling scholarship."
Sounds like a more sound argument than the one she made for ‘chumpy’.

He wasn't even trying to do poorly, to maintain his cover and to make Lois happy.
:rolleyes: He’s not a smart one, is he? Lois doesn’t like to win like that. She wants a competition. She wants to put come out ahead because she’s better than he is, not because he’s got no idea about what goes where.

"I thought the winner was supposed to buy?" Clark said, grinning. "You know. Nurse my deflated ego and all."
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Since it was the middle of the afternoon on a weekday, relatively few people were in the bowling alley.
Playing hooky?

But all of the proceeds were going to charity, so how could he possibly say no?
You start with your teeth together, then you open your mouth while exhaling, trying to produce a sound.

. It was funny, in a way. She could have Superman if only she would give Clark a chance,
LOIS: I don’t that’s funny at all.

"I didn't know you ate with your left hand," Lois observed.

Clark swallowed before answering. "Sometimes, yeah."

"How come?"

"I don't know," he replied, shrugging. "I just do, sometimes. I guess it's a habit I've had since I was a kid. I'm not even sure when it started, to be perfectly honest. Why?"
[Linked Image] Seeeeecret!

"And that's the end of the game," Lois announced. "I win."
Did he really just buy food right before the end of that round?

"If it wasn't for the gutter, I think my balls would be homeless. Err, I mean...well...you know." He blushed as the double meaning that his words held hit him.
wave Michael
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 01/27/14 09:06 PM
Hi, Michael! wave

Superman: Lois, I can’t bowl.
Lois: <rolls eyes> You'll say anything to make me feel better, won't you?

No, he was more in it for the cheerleaders. And they really were in it for the looks of the players.
clap

Sounds like a more sound argument than the one she made for ‘chumpy’.
Lois: I can argue just fine. I was captain of the speech and debate team. And don't tell me that's not a real club!

He’s not a smart one, is he? Lois doesn’t like to win like that. She wants a competition. She wants to put come out ahead because she’s better than he is, not because he’s got no idea about what goes where.
Clark: I know what goes where! It's about opportunity. I mean....

Playing hooky?
Day off, since they sometimes work weekends.

You start with your teeth together, then you open your mouth while exhaling, trying to produce a sound.
Clark: <tries, winds up making Chewbacca noises>

LOIS: I don’t that’s funny at all.
clap clap

BRUCE: What? Billionaire Playboy here. Not a fitness and sports fanatic with great hand-eye coordination.
Bruce: This is not the hero you're looking for. Move along. Move along.

To be fair, back on Krypton, they played Mayan Style. Using a ball instead of a proper severed head is just not the same.
Blargh! Did Joffrey gain access to Krypton???

Uh oh. She discovered that both Clark and Superman are lefties who don’t know better. Did something finally click?
Click.

What a ball!
Thanks, Michael! Glad you enjoyed this half of things. smile
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 02/09/14 01:27 PM
Lois: I can argue just fine. I was captain of the speech and debate team. And don't tell me that's not a real club!
wave Michael
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 02/09/14 08:25 PM
Is that what happened to Lex during HoL? The wedding took too long and Lois got hungry?
Lois: Actually, he refused to have chocolate mousse as the cake filling.

Actually, most of it could easily work in PG-13. Well, all of it. But a dark version would be appreciated, too.
MUSE: -
EW: No, that’s not with Red K. That’s using…something else. Another plot device. No, shush! /uses Vulcan nerve pinch/ Go to sleep.
laugh Can't say I haven't thought about a Red K mixed with the PML perfume idea...Not that I have much time to write these days...

JOKER: I can make him fly! -
ROBERT: Make the birdman *fly*!
Oh dear. Who built a moon door into Wayne Tower?

Lord Nor, why some bastards should never be allowed to mate and produce offspring.
*nods*
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Strike (Clark) 1/1 - 02/15/14 01:35 PM
quote: Is that what happened to Lex during HoL? The wedding took too long and Lois got hungry?

Lois: Actually, he refused to have chocolate mousse as the cake filling.
CLARK: And Tempus thinks *I’m* the stupid one!

Oh dear. Who built a moon door into Wayne Tower?
laugh

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards