Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Wendymr A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 01:49 PM
This is absolutely wonderful, Chris! You have such a talent for vivid description, making me feel that I really am in a croft in the Shetlands.

Winnie's terrific. wink A great character, and extremely shrewd. I really like the way she is sceptical of Clark, to the point of not even telling him he's welcome. He's clearly hiding things, and she lets him away with very little.

Can't wait for part 2!! wildguy

Wendy smile
Posted By: Hazel Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 02:00 PM
Chris, I *love* this... it's always extra charming to see Clark through fresh eyes, so to speak. And you do such a marvelous job of giving us full-fleshed new personalities with just a few paragraphs!

I especially enjoyed Clark's expression when Winnie scoffed that he might as well have flown, and the cape-like towel that foreshadowed what might be the next time she sees him...? smile

Wonderful writing. Looking forward to MORE!

Hazel
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 02:09 PM
Fascinating. And yes, wonderful writing! Gimme more <g>

PJ
Posted By: Vicki Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 02:32 PM
This was absolutely beautiful. I want to go on and on about how much I loved this... the details, the imagery, the mood and flavor and feel of this story are just wonderful. This was a delight to read!

And, I love the premise. Anxiously awaiting Part 2...

- Vicki
Posted By: LaurieD Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 02:45 PM
Great story, Chris. Very atmospheric. I feel as if I've finally made it to Scotland. You draw characters well. Mrs. Byrne is new to us, yet she is fully drawn and believable.

Looking for Part 2.

LaurieD clap
Posted By: Joy Moony Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 07:32 PM
Wow this is so original! And just fascinating so far. I love your descriptions, especially of Winnie's childhood and the recollection of the old legends. The bit about having eyes like a selkie is just brilliant!
hyper
more soon!
Posted By: rivka Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/06/04 10:01 PM
I've loved the selkie mythos since I read McCaffrey's Powers That Be books. So for that alone I would have loved this.

But as it turns out, that's the least of what I adored about it!

The mood, setting, and tone are so wonderful. Wendy's assessment of Winnie (say THAT five times fast goofy ) is right on! I like what I've seen of Jessi, and I want to see more.

And I really want to visit Winnie!

What made me laugh the most (and lots of details made me giggle) was the dog's name. laugh Poor thing!
Posted By: daneel Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/07/04 04:53 AM
Nice story smile

Jose smile1
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/07/04 07:15 AM
This is gorgeous writing, rich and atmospheric.

And so original, too.

Wonderful, can't wait for more,

CC
Posted By: lynnm Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/07/04 07:46 AM
Chris - how very wonderful. And what a fabulous idea. I so much agree with you that somewhere along the line, Clark had to have made some friends. It is so sweet to think that one of them might have been this interesting woman.

I especially like the disparity in their ages - so much more interesting than if Clark interacted with a peer. I like her perspective coming from her vast years of experience.

You've done an excellent job describing what I can just imagine to be this wind-swept, sea-salted atmosphere. Makes me want to visit the Shetlands.

Great job,
Lynn
Hi,

Cute story. thumbsup

MAF clap
Posted By: Nan Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/07/04 01:43 PM
I like the story; the whole scene is so vivid that I can picture it clearly in my mind. So, is Winnie going to recognize him when he makes his debut as Superman, or do you have something else in mind?

When is the next part due?

Nan
Posted By: Krissie Re: A Gift from Shetland 1/2 Feedback - 01/08/04 06:15 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I wasn't sure how people would react to Winnie, so I'm delighted that you like her. As for the Shetlands, themselves, I'm delighted that you seem to like my description. They are beautiful; I only hope I've done them justice.

As for Nan's question:
So, is Winnie going to recognize him when he makes his debut as Superman, or do you have something else in mind?
I have something else in mind.

Chris (who hopes part two will not disappoint)
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards