Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: HappyGirl FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 10:57 AM
clap clap clap

Now, *that's* how it *should* have ended.

clap clap clap
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 01:33 PM
I LOVE IT!

Perfect solution that I've never seen anyone come up with before!

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: smileyem Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 02:14 PM
Great idea for a way round their predicament!!

And clap

Em
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 02:36 PM
That makes so much sense. Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

Elisabeth
PS Love the title
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 04:02 PM
Brilliant.

Tank (who is amazed that no one had come up with that variation before)
Posted By: cookiesmom Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 04:02 PM
Absolutely delightful!
Posted By: Annalina19 Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 04:36 PM
Yes, great idea.
It was very original and I love the reaction of Lois ! Excellent story !! clap
Posted By: Framework4 Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 05:32 PM
Delightful. Truly delightful. I loved the revelation and Clark having gained some sense.
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 06:05 PM
Great idea! Much better than the original, and love Clark's jealousy giving his secret away. laugh

Yours Jenni
Posted By: Shadow Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 06:17 PM
*cough*We need a whole episode rewrite*cough*

Love it, and I can't believe I've never seen that ending before!

JD
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 09:50 PM
Like others said, this was how it should have ended.

It's weird how some TV episodes are totally brainless just because the producers of the show want to use that episode to achieve a certain effect. The whole freezing episode was shoved into LnC just so that the producers could show its viewers that Lois Lane did in fact love Clark Kent, and she loved him even more than she loved Superman. Well, fine. But any way you look at it, the whole "You-have-to-freeze-me-so-that-we-can-save-Clark's-parents" scenario is totally contrived and stupid.

Stupid, stupid! Why did Bobby Ewing walk out of the shower in the Dallas episode way back, after he had seemingly been dead for months? It was because Patrick Duffy wanted to come back to the show.

You can try to "correct" that Dallas episode and make it appear reasonable, or else you just wash your hands off the whole thing and admit that this episode was a braindead thing.

But hey, BJ, your take on ATAI about quadruples the EIQ (episode intelligence quota) of it! clap

Ann
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/27/09 10:25 PM
You rock, BJ. That was truly inspired! clap
Posted By: LabRat Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 06:42 AM
LOL! Cute, funny and I loved both of their reactions to the revelation. clap

LabRat smile
Posted By: KathyB Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 06:50 AM
Wouldn't it have been fun if that's how the revelation had gone? And we would have had episode continuity, to boot, LOL.

You rock, Brenda! Thanks for letting me preview it, and thanks for sharing it with all of us. Very fun. clap

Kathy
Posted By: Joy Moony Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 11:20 AM
wonderful!
Posted By: GamesAway Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 02:44 PM
Loved it. Resurrection - very clever! hail
Loved that Clark got found out over his jealousy of Dan. laugh
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 04:49 PM
LOL cute!
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 06:12 PM
Thanks, BJ - clever rewrite. So obvious when you think about it, and yet no one has. smile

c.
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/28/09 09:29 PM
/slaps head/

“I need something that will give me the appearance of death, something that has been tested successfully with no long-lasting effects, right?”

They looked at each other with growing delight and said together, “Resurrection!”
Of course! It's obvious now that you've mentioned it! It makes total sense! Why didn't anyone else (i.e., the writers of the show, darn it!) remember Resurrection?

From TV Tropes:

Forgotten Phlebotinum:
A situation, most common in sci-fi and fantasy, where an amazingly useful power or device is revealed in one episode, and would be amazingly useful in later episodes, if it weren't for the fact that nobody seems to remember it. Sometimes the power or device is remembered under circumstances where it proves mostly useless, but not remembered when it would do any good.

This is for powers or devices that are forgotten in general. Something which the character does use a lot and only is forgotten this one time is Plot Induced Stupidity.

If the device is remembered, but there's some contrived excuse as to why it isn't available or won't work, that's Holding Back The Phlebotinum or It Only Works Once.

Not to be confused with We Have Forgotten The Phlebotinum . If they (finally!) remember to use it in the end, it's a Forgotten Superweapon .

This trope does not necessarily denote bad writing. It can be (as noted in the Order Of The Stick example) convenient writing instead. If the protagonists have some piece of phlebotinum that makes them invincible or at least very hard to so much as injure that is both reliable and accessible, vast numbers of plots have to be thrown out the window. Some would call this unwillingness to change the Status Quo and then adapt to the new order of things "lazy", but when one is working on a regular series, changing the status quo (interesting though it can be dramatically) is not something to be done lightly. When it's a Shared Universe this is even more pronounced. In such cases, "Forgotten" Phlebotinum is a subtrope of Real Life Writes The Plot.

When it's not forgotten and is used in a later episode because a writer wants to acknowledge continuity, it is Olaf\'s Hammer.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/29/09 02:33 PM
Yeah, I mean, the shields constructed on Utopia Planetia must be the worst pieces of crap ever assembled laugh

Back on topic; Brenda, your muse is great. The entire idea of reusing Resurrection was so obvious. So obvious, in fact, that it never occurred to me until I read this little piece. BTW, Clark froze Lois a second time at the end of season 4, to get her out of a hostage situation. Can you imagine how shocked I was when I watched that episode again after I had completely forgotten about it?

Superman’s eyes narrowed and he crossed his arms defensively. “You have Scardino’s number on speed dial?”

Lois paused as she lifted the phone to her ear. With the wrong tone of voice and his petulant expression, the truth dawned on Lois at the same time that Clark realized his danger. He turned and took a cowardly step toward the window when Lois’ commanding voice froze him in his tracks.

“Don’t take another step, Clark…. Hi Dan, it’s Lois. Hang on a sec.” Lois covered the mouthpiece with one hand and glowered at the sheepish superhero. “When all of this is over, you and I are going to have a serious talk.”
rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol
You do know, of course, that ending it like this is a very Carol thing to do, right?

Michael
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/30/09 12:05 AM
Forgotten Phlebotinum
clap

Ann
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 10/30/09 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
You do know, of course, that ending it like this is a very Carol thing to do, right?

Michael
HEY!

Just for that...

Er, well, for some reason... I'll post more BIII today.

But it's still not very nice wink .

Carol [who is behind the ficus hiding out from Labby]
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Mostly Dead - 11/01/09 02:16 PM
Originally posted by carolm:
Just for that...

Er, well, for some reason... I'll post more BIII today.
Hmm, positive reinforcement :p (Read it on Friday, but only got around to commenting today)

Originally posted by carolm:
But it's still not very nice wink .
Awww. But it's a compliment blush And you got a lot of shiny new FDK blush But I'm highjacking this thread... /hands thread carefully back to rightful owner/

Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards