Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: AnnieM FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/08/03 08:27 PM
Okay, I know you all hate me right now, but try to see past that and comment on the rest of the section. <G>

Seriously, comments (good or bad) are welcome here. smile

Annie
Posted By: KathyM Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/08/03 08:56 PM
Oh no. No no no no no no no no no... No, Annie, of course I don't hate you - how could I hate you when you write so brilliantly? - but I do hate that I'm going to have to wait two days for the happy resolution for this. But I do assume that everything will be resolved satisfactorily in the upcoming section, so at least there won't be yet another awful cliffhanger.

But I definitely think we need a 2x4 graemlin. We need it for most of the BatP/HoL stories, and I would love to have it here - not so much for Lois, but for all those busybody gossips at the DP whose comments are planting the seeds of doubt in Lois' mind! [Linked Image]

Poor Lois! Poor Clark! I can just imagine the crestfallen look on his face at Lois' statement. He said earlier that it was her choice, but that he would fight for her - now you have to find the words to ease her fears, Clark...

Kathy
Posted By: Gabriele Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 12:36 AM
I am very much afraid that Clark is going to believe that the reason why Lois wants to break up is Superman.

Lois is losing more than Clark, she is losing herself.

Why have you not let Perry and Jimmy support her?
Posted By: IreneD Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 01:25 AM
No, I don't hate you, Annie. But I'm not filled with a happy WAFFy contented feeling right now, I'm afraid. frown

This was very logical, and a nice twist on Clark's thinking in the episode Contact.

I'm looking forward to a happy resolution, and I know that you won't disappoint.

Irene
Posted By: Hazel Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 02:30 AM
“You’re going to hate me.”

“That sounds awfully familiar,” Clark said softly. He reached up tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Do you remember what you told me when I said that? ‘There’s nothing you could say that would make me hate you.’”

Lois took a shaky breath. “I think we should break up.”
OOokay, Lois, that was a darn good try. goofy

I'm sure you'll resolve this nicely, Annie, as you always do. smile

Hazel
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 03:57 AM
“Around Town” had replaced “Cat’s Corner” when Cat Grant had suddenly up and married a computer programmer and moved to Silicon Valley. Lois shook her head slightly; she still hadn’t quite gotten her head around that one.
grumble
Posted By: ethnica Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 04:33 AM
Hate you, no. laugh Know there's gotta be a BIG payoff for taking us through this, yes. hyper
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 04:53 AM
Can't hate that, Annie, when it makes such perfect sense.

Everything is going so beautifully, so of course Lois is freaked out! I like that you didn't overlook this aspect of her personality. She's inexperienced at being happy.

Looking forward to the wrap up!

CC
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 05:49 AM
“I think we should break up.”
No!! No, no, no, no, no! mad

This was not what I wanted to read when I clicked on your story instalment as a way of distracting myself from the flu, Annie! whinging
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 07:03 AM
Annie! razz

Okay, so it builds perfectly and makes sense in this context... but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

And to think we're counting on Clark to be smart and say the right things... he hasn't got that much practice at that <g>

PJ
Posted By: merry Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 07:27 AM
Annie,
playing catchup
just read 2 & 3
I don't hate you - but I don't like where you left us
well written and I can't wait for the next part so we'll have a happy ending
merry
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 08:14 AM
Okay, right from the beginning of the instalment I could see how you were using the gossip.

Given the earlier season's Lois from the series, and her natural bent toward thinking the worst of everything her declaration at the end was not only logical, but, unfortunately... predictible.

Also, like the other gentle readers I know that given only one instalment left, that this little problem will be resolved (perhaps with a nice haircut?). So, the key will be how do you resolve the problem?

That's going to be the fun part. Is Clark going to be able to just talk her out of it? Or, is he going to be able to find out why her insecurities have flared up and 'challenge' her to prove the gossips wrong. However it plays out it will be interesting to see.

Tank (who really hopes that we get to see Lois' 'revenge' on the gossips)
Posted By: Xanabee Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 10:35 AM
I should've known (mournful sigh) that sooner or later Lois's insecurities would kick into overdrive. frown

A nice twist to 'Contact', Annie. Is Clark going to fly off in the middle of their talk? I'm really looking forward to the next part. smile
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 12:29 PM
Hi,

Great piece. help
Clark have to side with Lois against this situation. thumbsup

More ASAP, please.

MAF thumbsup
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 01:26 PM
Oh no Lois is a dope. Fix them! Laura
Posted By: RetroRose Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/09/03 11:39 PM
Annie.... I most certainly do not hate you.... but I never realized you had such an "evil" streak!!!! wink

This is magnificently written "Lois" goofy

S (who is fortunate enough to know how this turns out wink )
Posted By: Julie S Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/10/03 12:25 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I forgot how much turture cliffhangers are ever since I've given up soap operas.
More!!!!!

Julie (agonizing over the suspense)
Posted By: Becki Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/10/03 06:13 PM
Annie,
Another awesome section clap but AHHHHH! Can't wait to see how the gossip comes into play later. Looking forward to what's in store for us in the last installment!!

Becki smile
Posted By: AnnieM Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 3 - 11/10/03 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your great comments. I'm glad you don't hate me. And I think I'll make up for the angst in this section with the next section, but we shall see. I'm really glad that Lois' reaction rung true to most of you. In the meantime...

Why have you not let Perry and Jimmy support her?
and
Why Perry don't put stop this harassment against Lois. Lois is the planet's star reporter.
These are good questions, with two answers. The first (easy) answer is that they have no idea what is going on. They are both busy people, and though I'm sure at least Jimmy has heard some of the gossip, neither of them are going to be prime candidates for hearing too much gossip because of their relationships with Lois and Clark. And Perry is the boss which means (a) people aren't going to gossip with him and (b) he can't play favorites, stepping in anytime he hears that there might be gossip about Lois and Clark.

The other answer is that I did this on purpose. To me, the point of this story is that they are taking things to the next level and learning to trust each other and work together (you'll see more of this theme in the final section). For me, that meant that they needed to rely on each other - not the Kents, not Perry, not Jimmy, not Lucy, not anyone. Each other. I don't have any problem with them leaning on those people normally - I've written plenty of stories where they do. But in this universe, I thought it was really important for them to do it themselves.

And to think we're counting on Clark to be smart and say the right things... he hasn't got that much practice at that <g>
LOL! Poor Clark.

Okay, I'm going to stop commenting and post the next section so that I can "fix them" as requested!

Thanks again, everyone!
Annie
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards