Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: AnnieM FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/06/03 09:28 PM
I hope this lived up to expectations. What do you think so far?

Annie
Posted By: IsisLnC Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/06/03 10:00 PM
Yayyyyyyy!!! whinging (happy tears)!!!

and...

“Clark...” she started. She couldn’t bear the thought of him leaving tonight. She wanted desperately for him to follow her into the bedroom and climb in bed with her, holding her until she fell asleep.
-- YES, So did I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i'm gonna go start counting down the hours until Part 3 is posted!!!!
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 04:44 AM
Wow... this is fabulous. I'm glad we got past the "Lois is furious" stage fairly quickly; the rest of this is lovely and WAFFy. Well, except for the office gossip, although even that was entertaining <g> If *I'd* seen L&C behaving like that, I'd send out a few emails, too! goofy

PJ
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 05:50 AM
Annie,

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

I've read so many revelations - I love a revelation story- but off the top of my head I can't think of a sweeter one.

I adore how Clark lays it on the line. Puts his heart out there. And how you let Lois be mad. If there's a "Lois would definitely be mad" club, then I'm a member.

And you handled that so nicely. Didn't gloss over it, didn't go over the top, but let it play out gently.

Well, I know you're not posting every day. But I really wish you were,

CC
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 05:52 AM
I’ll fight for you. I'll tell you that you are the most important thing in my life and that I will do anything to make this up to you. I'll tell you that I've loved you from the moment I met you and that every day I love you more than the last. I'll tell you that my life is meaningless without you and that you are the only thing that keeps me going when things get rough. I'll beg you to stay with me and plead with you to love me. But if you still want to walk away, there's nothing I can do because it's your choice
Aww..*sob* thumbsup

~Liz
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 06:30 AM
Oh! she wasn't that angry with him wink

Gossips in the newsroom razz

waiting for more! smile

Jose wave
Posted By: mor1980 Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 07:40 AM
ME DOES HAPPY DANCE.... dance

after being peeved that i DID fall asleep before
you posted.... mad

this was great...the smoochies...lois not being mad...the smoochies...the gossip...the smoochies...heh heh heh

can't wait til tomorrow around midnight...this is one time that i'm glad i have no date on the weekend :rolleyes:

WAITING COMPLETELY IMPATIENTLY (correct grammar) oh heck, you get what i mean...

hurry hurry hurry hurry evil
Posted By: lynnm Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 08:07 AM
Great chapter, Annie.

I think my favorite line is this:
He didn't need glasses to see, he needed glasses to keep people from seeing the truth.
Something really profound about that.

Overall, so sweet the way Clark confessed his fears and what he'd do to keep her but that he knew in the end it was her choice.

Also loved this:
Lois gritted her teeth and reminded herself that Clark would not be offering any “benefits” to either of these women.
And I really liked the scene with the two of them on the couch. I could just picture Clark reading with Lois's legs stretched out on his lap, him rubbing them absently. So perfectly in tune with the comfortable togetherness that they seem to have reached.

OK, gotta know what happens now. Who's going to make the first move to take things to the next level wink

Great Job.
thumbsup
Lynn
Posted By: IreneD Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 01:10 PM
Darn it all, Annie! How the heck am I supposed to get any of my backlog of paperwork done when you post such fantastic sections of your story???

When I got online today, I read part 2 and loved it. Then I read it again. And then I had to go back and reread part 1. And of course, then I had to go to the archive and reread Playing to Win. But even that wasn't enough, so I reread Playing the Part, read Playing to Win yet again, reread part 1 and reread part 2... again.

My desk is not getting cleaned off, and it's all your fault!! mad

But seriously, if you want to help me with my dilemma, you could quickly post parts 3 and 4 - or send them to me by email if you're not ready to share with anyone else yet - and then I could wallow to my heart's content and get this out of my system.

Fantastic story. There's too much that I loved for me to single out any one thing, although the office gossips were a lot of fun.

I'm just loving everything about this, and it looks like Playing for Keeps is going to be as wonderful as Playing the Part and Playing to Win have been.

In the absence of parts 3 and 4, I guess I'm going to have to make do by rereading Anybody's Baby, All Alone, Kindred Spirits, By Firelight, Desperately Seeking Clark.... Well, you get the picture.

Irene
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 01:52 PM
Hi,

Great part. smile1
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 02:32 PM
Well You know I loved it. It was just perfect<g> sigh.... But I would have asked him to stay ;-) laura
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 04:43 PM
Annie

WOW! Beautifully written! smile1
The couch scene is great. So WAFFy! sloppy

I love this and can't wait to read the next part.

Tricia cool
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 05:42 PM
Good instalment.

The revelation was handled very well. You were able to allow Lois all the emotions without letting any of them over power the moment.

I like the idea of Lois overhearing some gossip about her and Clark, but I thought she might have taken a little more pleasure in the women's obvious jealousy of what she knows she has.

Tank (who is looking forward to when Lois can actually flaunt her relationship with Clark in front of those ladies)
Posted By: IreneD Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 05:48 PM
Just a quick note to follow Tank's comments -

Annie, be aware of how good this story really is. Tank was so blown away, he forgot to remind you to cut Lois's hair!! laugh

Irene wink
Posted By: AnnieM Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 06:25 PM
Just a quick note to say that the responses so far (ahem, Irene) have made my day. I'm having a seriously crappy day due to the fact that I've strained my vocal cords or some such thing and almost completely lost my voice. Not ideal ever, certainly not ideal when one's job is as a nanny. And not only did I have my two boys today, I had an extra five year old. Everyone is in bed now (but I'm still stuck at work for two more hours) but I'm actually exhausted by the sheer effort of talking all day. All I want is to fall into bed and sleep all weekend. But, alas, my best friend is in town and so I have to go straight from work out to a night on the town. I have no idea how I'm going to survive. Anyway, sorry that was such a long whine, but the point is that I sat down to the computer nearly in tears and wound up laughing so hard I nearly cried.

A million thanks,
Annie
Posted By: martha Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 08:11 PM
AnnieM,

I've loved the two previous stories, and this is just wonderful. As with other people, I loved the revelation scene and thought that Clark passionately explaining his love, hopes, and fears to Lois was very moving.

I think my favorite part of 2, though, was the scene on the couch. There are so many revelation scenes that proceed quickly to Clark spinning into Superman and flying away. I absolutely loved the fact that they had this whole scene talking/joking about speed reading and Moby Dick before Lois is confronted with the reality of Clark's dual identity. It made the "Wow" moment that much more stunning.

Looking forward to part 3. Hope you get/got through your evening.

Martha
Posted By: RetroRose Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 09:15 PM
Annie...... WOW, WOW, WOW!!! clap

I notworthy notworthy

S (who proudly accepts any "blame" for this story wink )
Posted By: Julie S Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/07/03 09:26 PM
Incredible so far, Annie! Normally I hate revelations because I figure that if Lois gets mad and storms off, its not nice because I dont want to see them fight, and if she's not mad it isn't very plausible. But you stood up to the challenge with excellence! clap notworthy

Julie
Posted By: Cristina Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/08/03 07:36 AM
I'd been looking forward to reading this story ever since you finished playing to win. You know how sometimes, when you're eager to do something, or waiting for something to happen real bad, you end up disappointed? You build up expectations and sometimes things turn out to be different than expected. (yeah , I know, no one should have to live up to other people's expectations... I'm coming to that laugh ).

One thing is for sure; I didn't expect what you did in part 2. I thought, like many, that you would have Lois deliver her anger, but wait until parts three and four to fix things. But far from being disappointed, I loved it clap

Btw, midnight your time?? C'mon, that's like six a.m. MY time! You can possibly expect me to get up at six to read this right away wildguy

Cris
Posted By: Cristina Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/08/03 07:40 AM
ooops, I posted my commente without reading the rest first (sorry, that's what a busy RL will do to you wink )

Anyway, Annie said:

I hope this lived up to expectations
Like I said, it's not a matter of living up to expectations (even if we do it all the time laugh , or so I remember a certain handsome reporter saying once); I think it's more a matter of doing things your way, but doing them right (You did it great, btw) thumbsup

Cris
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/08/03 07:53 AM
Annie, I know exactly how you feel with that losing your voice thing - I'm currently down with flu and haven't been able to speak properly for two days. frown So it's a real treat to be able to read a lovely piece of fic. thumbsup

Everyone else has said all the nice stuff about the post-revelation conversation. Really nice stuff! And the gossip at the Planet was a lot of fun. Yes, Lois should certainly feel a sense of one-up'person'-ship about being an item with Clark!

Yes, I agree with Laura: I think she should have asked him to stay. smile You're doing a nice job of showing us how much Lois is missing sleeping next to Clark and being held by him - so just how difficult is it for her to whisper 'Stay' as he's on the point of walking out the door? Though I'm guessing that this is what the rest of the story will be about, so I'm prepared to wait and see how it develops.

More soon!

Wendy smile
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/08/03 01:35 PM
I couldn't resist... I'm weak blush

You can possibly expect me to get up at six to read this right away
Or reading it before going to bed.... :p

Jose (running fast enough to make Trask think that there is another Kryptonian in the planet hyper )
Posted By: KathyM Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/08/03 02:34 PM
Annie - I'm so thrilled that you're posting this! And I'm behind on my feedback, so I didn't get the chance to tell you how much I loved the revelation in Part 1 - like everyone else has said, the line itself has already become a classic, and I love how Clark needed to tell her as himself - as her boyfriend - and not as Superman. thumbsup

And in Part 2, I absolutely, totally love this. And yes, I know that several others have already quoted it, but I'm sure that everyone will want to read it again because it's just so wonderful, so I'll quote it here... [Linked Image]
Clark took a deep breath and continued. “I’ll fight for you. I'll tell you that you are the most important thing in my life and that I will do anything to make this up to you. I'll tell you that I've loved you from the moment I met you and that every day I love you more than the last. I'll tell you that my life is meaningless without you and that you are the only thing that keeps me going when things get rough. I'll beg you to stay with me and plead with you to love me. But if you still want to walk away, there's nothing I can do because it's your choice."

Lois' lip trembled as she listened to his impassioned speech. "Why me? You could have any woman in the world? How can I possibly mean so much to you?"

"Lois, you mean everything to me. I don't want anyone else. You are the only one I want. The only one I've ever wanted. The only one I will ever want. I love you."
I'm so happy that Lois was able to get over her anger so rapidly, recognizing Clark's confusion in all this too. Yay, Lois!

And I hadn't even thought about word spreading from gossipy reporters from other newspapers at the conference. Great idea, Annie! Juicy news travels fast...

She remembered Kim now. She was the copy editor from the San Diego Union Tribune.
Hey, that's my local paper... smile

And I loved the fact that Lois was pro-active with the two gossipy women at the DP, rather than just hiding in a corner doing nothing...and I love the lovely scene with L&C at her apartment where he's rubbing her legs while reading and she realizes that she's seeing the *real* Clark, and I love... well, I could just go on and on and on...

But at least there are only a few more hours to go until Part 3 is posted. laugh

Kathy
Posted By: AnnieM Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/08/03 08:23 PM
Thanks again to everyone who commented on this section. I really appreciate it and I'm so glad everyone seems to be enjoying this so far.

My responses are going to be brief this time because I'm just too tired to think properly right now. Forgive me and know that I really did love all the comments, even if I don't respond in detail.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Clark's impassioned plea to Lois, telling her he knew it was her decision. I actually wrote that paragraph about halfway through writing Playing the Part and I've been waiting forever to use it.

Also I was intrigued by the comments about Lois' reaction to the gossip. Knowing how freaked out she is about gossip, particularly in this Universe, it's been a running theme, it didn't occur to me to make her be at least a little smug at first. I think I might go back and tweak that just a tiny bit.

I know people are disappointed that she didn't ask him to stay. But I have my reasons, which you'll see for yourselves soon enough.

Thanks again!
Annie
Posted By: Xanabee Re: FDK: Playing for Keeps, part 2 - 11/09/03 10:20 AM
I'm a bit late responding, Annie, I'm just catching up on this and loving every line! thumbsup

This is my favorite:

He looked like a mix of Clark and Superman, and she realized that this was her Clark that she was seeing. The real Clark. Not the Clark Kent who most of his friends and colleagues knew – the Clark who had to hide his abilities, his heritage and his second job. And not Superman – the unselfish, perfect superhero who flew in when he was needed and then quietly disappeared until he was called for again. The real Clark; the Clark known only to his parents. And now to her.
You're doing a terrific job in describing both their thoughts. I'm looking forward to read the next part.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards