Agony. Sheer, gut wrenching agony—and not all of it was caused by the kryptonite bars surrounding him. Clark closed his eyes and groaned as the Wedding March began to play.

He'd never thought it would come to this. He'd thought that Lois would someday return his feelings; instead, she'd crushed his heart. Just to rub salt in the wound, she had thrown herself at his alter ego; and then, when her perfect hero had rejected her, she'd agreed to marry the most vile, arrogant, cruel piece of *filth* that ever walked the earth.

She had no idea just how much pain she'd caused him.

The worst part of it all was...he still loved her.

There was no use denying it. Even now, as he writhed on the cold floor of Lex's cellar, all he could think about was getting out of here and saving Lois from that...monster! It didn't matter if she never returned Clark's love. All he wanted was for her to be safe. He glanced up at the key placed tauntingly across the room from him...

...and blinked as the space before his eyes shimmered.

A man stood in front of him, extending a hand. “Mr. Kent, come with me if you want to live.”

“Wha-a?” Clark managed to croak out.

“I'm a time-traveler,” the man told him, turning to retrieve the key. “I've come here to help you.” He unlocked the cage, and Clark gratefully hobbled out, putting as much distance between himself and the bars as he could in the confined space. “I can send you back,” the man continued. “You can do things right, this time; fix history so there's no cage, no wedding, and no sickening marriage with bratty kids.”

Clark blanched.

“Is this honestly the future you want?” the man asked.

Clark shook his head.

“Then let me send you back,” the man said, pulling a strange device out of his pocket. “Now that you know what happens, you'll know what—and who—to avoid.”

“Who are you?” Clark asked, his voice weak from the pain.

“Just a concerned citizen from the future,” said the man. He reached out a hand again towards Clark. “So, how about it? Will you let me help you avoid all this?”

Something in Clark's gut didn't feel right. Then again, that could just be the kryptonite. It was possible that this man was some kind of loony, although that didn't explain his sudden appearance. Clark eyed the bars. Upstairs, Lois would be getting ready to say 'I do'. If there was even a chance that the two of them could avoid this... Clark figured he had nothing to lose. With a grim nod, he took the stranger's hand....

...and found himself shaking the firm grip of Perry White.

“Clark Kent, welcome to the Daily Planet.”

The Beginning/End

~•~