Clark & Lois – When Worlds and Universes Collide - Matchmaker Chronicles V 8 18/36
By KenJ <ken.janney@kjanney.com>
This version is rated PG-13

Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -124 – Alternate Prime - Lori and Clark
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Alt 1, Alt Clark and Kryptonian Lois – (Alt 1 )
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Alt 2 Kryptonian Lois' home universe.
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 040 – Alt 1 alternate (Alt 3) Alt Lois and Alt Clark

Previously

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A/N – Alt 1 is the canon Alternate universe.

1993 Lois asked, “You said that non-energy weapons were allowed?”

Zara replied, “Yes. Krypton had a rather bloody history of clan warfare and this challenge is a carryover from that time. As a result bladed weapons and some projectile weapons are allowed.”

1993 Lois replied, “All of which would be largely ineffective against super powered individuals. You said that if we could subdue them and keep them subdued then we win?”

“That is correct. We have a supply of manacles produced on Krypton that may be used to keep those captured, subdued.”

2013 Lois asked, “How can you be sure that they will be effective?”

“They were manufactured on Krypton.”

“You’re from Krypton, but here, on Earth, under this yellow sun, things can be quite different. I think we need to test these shackles.” 2013 Lois said.

Zara stepped into an adjoining compartment, returning moments later with the shackles.

Local Lois held out her hands so that they could be applied. Once Zara had snapped them on her wrists Lois pulled her hands apart separating the links of the chain joining the shackles, stretching the links like so much taffy before they broke. “Just as I thought. Totally ineffective against a super powered individual. The yellow sun doesn’t affect the alloys the same way it does a Kryptonian body.”

“This means that we will be required to physically restrain each individual. It will have to be a brute force battle. At least all things are equal.” Zara said with a dispirited air.

Lori said, “I don’t think so. Herb gave us at least a little edge. 1993 Lois, 2013 Lois and I each have double strength pendants. That should give us at least a little advantage when we go up against the other women. We should have the same strength as our husbands.”

“How can we capitalize on that advantage?” Zara asked.

Lori suggested, “Perhaps one of us could subdue one of them and then one of the others could keep her restrained while we deal with the rest of them.”

“We’d have to isolate one, but if we did that then they’d have a chance to double team one of us. This is shaping up as an impossibility.” Zara’s dispirited tone was obvious to all of the women.

1993 Lois spoke up, “I think that we should stick together as much as possible. That way we can defend each other. If we work together, we can win.”

Local Lois spoke up, “There is one added problem … we not only have to work together to protect each other, we have to protect the baby. We decided to leave the baby in Smallville with Jonathan, Martha and Carrie.”

Her curiosity evident, Lori spoke up, “You’ve mentioned Carrie a few times. Can you tell us more about her?”

The pride was obvious in her voice as she replied, "Carrie is our adopted daughter. She joined our family a few months ago. Clark had saved her from a fire. Afterwards we learned that she had an inoperable brain tumor. Well, Clark figured out a way to perform the operation and we cured her. We became close friends of her Mom and Dad. They had left her with us for an overnight so that they could celebrate their anniversary when they were both killed in an auto accident. They had figured out who we were and stipulated in their will that we be Carrie's guardians until we could adopt her." Lois pulled out some pictures of Carrie and Scrappy to show around. “Carrie was suffering from a supposedly inoperable brain tumor when we met her. Scrappy was her service dog. Scrappy alerted her parents when Carrie was about to suffer a seizure. He is a highly trained animal and is her devoted companion.”

Everyone commented on how much she looked like a little Lois.

Lois went on to explain about how Carrie was starting to display psychic powers, having predicted Clark finding Luthor and warning them about the Kryptonite and also the date of the baby's birth. Finishing up with, "She is just starting to show these powers. We have no idea to what extent or what direction they will go. We can only wait and see."

Lori said, "Wow, now if it were one of our children we would know exactly what powers to expect, but this ... This is coming right out of left field! How do you plan to handle it?"

"We are just going to take it as it comes and try to guide her in the use of her powers. Even before this started to happen to her she said she wanted to do what she could to help people. That was what she told Clark the night he rescued her from the fire. She wanted to help people the same way he did. She is such a sweet girl with a sunny, happy disposition. We just love her to pieces. If her parents had not made that provision in their will, we would have fought to adopt her anyhow. She had almost become part of the family already. What really blew us away was when she figured out who we were, the very first day. Of course she had Scrappy's help, but she had us dead to rights as Superman and Superwoman."

And now -

Chapter 18 – Practice Makes Perfect
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Local Lois and Zara went over strategy with the two other Loises and Lori.

Zara said, "In order to win this conflict, we need to incapacitate Nor and all of his family. The numbers, thanks to your friend, Herb, are equal, however in some way we must overcome and keep all of Nor's family captive in order to be the victors of the combat. We have a supply of manacles made of an alloy produced on Krypton, however they have proven completely ineffective against a super powered Kryptonian under a yellow sun."

Zara continued, "I only say capture in deference to Clark's stated desire of avoiding killing anyone. Rest assured, Nor does not suffer from similar scruples. If he can, he will kill you and he would not hesitate to kill a woman, either, so, don't think that your sex provides you with any immunity. Nor is a vile, unscrupulous, treacherous ... well, you get the picture. If we lose, I could be forced into a life bond with him and I really don’t want that."

1993 Lois said, "In essence we are participating in a trial by combat, New Krypton rules."

Lori asked, "What if neither side succeeds in subduing everyone on the other side?"

"The combat continues, until there is a clear victor." Zara replied.

1993 Lois said, "With all of us having super powers, that is going to be hard to do. I still think that our best chance is to stay together. At least that way we can prevent them from overcoming all of us."

2013 Lois said, “When Nor and his minions arrived they planned to enslave the entire world. They started off by creating a force field around Smallville and enslaving the population. If we allow them to win this combat that will be the eventual outcome.”

Lori nodded her head in agreement and said, “One fundamental problem is that Nor has no morals. He cares little or nothing for non-Kryptonians and there are even some of them he wants to eliminate. I am concerned for you. You say that this all started because of the baby, but you and Clark can have more children. That would present a continued threat to his rule which means he would have to not only kill the baby, but you as well.”

Zara said, “Lady Lori is quite correct. Your continued existence would add an element of insecurity.”

2013 Lois said, “In our universe, when Clark fought Nor, Nor cheated. As I said before, he had some followers that were willing to break the rules of the combat to make sure that Nor won. How likely is that to happen here?”

Zara replied, “As I said, Nor is unscrupulous. He is capable of doing anything to further his ends. If that means breaking custom and violating the rules of the combat – he is quite capable of doing so. I would put nothing past him in that regard.”

Lori said, “You said that right now the numbers are even. There are nine of us and nine of them. If Nor does cheat and bring in additional troops, then we will be outnumbered. At that point staying together could be the best strategy. We could defend each other.”

Musingly Zara said, “The key to the conflict could be Nor himself. If we could capture him and keep him subdued he may not be able to rally his supporters.”

What are we up against? What is the makeup of his family?”

Zara said, “He has two sisters and a brother. The brother is in a life bond. He also has two cousins, both with bond mates. As had been common on Krypton his two male cousins are brothers and their bond mates are sisters. That makes it four men and five women the same mix as we have on our side.”

1993 Lois asked, “What if we each had an assigned person that we had to deal with?”

Zara replied, “That could be risky. If you think you are dealing with one individual another could join in and turn the tables.”

1993 Lois persisted, “Not if we stick close to our assigned opponent. As long as we stick with them, we should be there to prevent anything like that happening.”

After thinking for a few seconds, Zara replied, “Actually, that is a good point, but still, we are looking at a standoff. The most likely outcome being a stalemate.”

2013 Lois added, “What are we going to do about natural disasters, crime and accidents while all of this combat is going on?”

Local Lois added in a worried tone, “I hadn’t thought of that. I need to at least notify MPD that we will be unavailable.”

Zara added, “While any of you are dealing with an emergency, they will have a numerical advantage. Is there any way to avoid being distracted?

Local Lois said, “I don’t see any way. We are pledged to protect the people of Earth. They are my people after all. I might be fully Kryptonian now, but I started off as Earth human. I was born in Metropolis for heaven’s sake.”

Zara conceded the point. “Okay, if you have to handle emergencies, it will have to be at least two of you together whenever you go out. We can’t afford for one of you to go out and be captured by Nor’s family. If there are two of you, you can protect one another. There is an old axiom on Krypton, ‘When you are lost in the woods, it is better to have a friend with you.’”

“We have a similar saying, ‘There’s safety in numbers.’”

“Essentially the same thing.”

“Okay, no solo rescues, but that could give them a numerical advantage over the rest.”

“You will need to deal with any emergency quickly and return to the group.”

“That could be easier said, than done. A major landslide or mudslide, an earthquake or avalanche could be time consuming. There could be many lives at stake. We can’t just abandon them. That would make us no better than Nor.”

“I will concede the point. You will have to do what you feel is needed. I would simply caution you that in your absence, your fellows will be at a numerical disadvantage.”

“We will endeavor to spend a minimum of time on any rescue.”

“That is all that I ask.”

After a time, Ching and the Clarks rejoined the women.

The women were appalled at their appearance. The guys looked like they had already been through a war. Their Suits were smudged with dirt and so were their faces.

Zara quizzed Ching on the results of the training.

Ching replied, “I’m not sure if this will work or not. The reluctance to take life exhibited by all of the individuals on this side could be our undoing. Nor will have no compunctions killing any or all of the combatants involved, whereas none of the people on this side of the conflict are willing to go that far.”

2013 Clark said in reply, “Ching, there has to be another way. We have all spent our entire lives preserving life. That respect for life is not something easily discarded. All the time I was growing up, my parents trained me that to help others was a goal that all should aspire to and me especially. With great power comes even greater responsibility. You’re asking us to go against years or training. I don’t see how we can do that.”

Ching started pacing back and forth in front of the Clarks as he spoke, “I know I’m asking that and I know that it doesn’t sit well, but that is where we are. You have to get past that training if you plan to win this war. I know, we dress it up in nice terms like combat, trial by combat, but make no mistake; this is a war, a war of the most fundamental kind. This is a war of right against wrong. This is not some game to decide who gets the bragging rights! The fate of two worlds, not just New Krypton, but New Krypton and Earth hangs in the balance and the way you prosecute this war will determine the fate of both planets! Do you wish to see the entire population of Earth enslaved by a handful of super powered Kryptonians? If you don’t rise to the occasion, that is exactly what will happen. It is up to you to stop them and if you don’t it will be on you.”

Ching stopped pacing and simply stood facing them, “I realize that most of you will be returning to your own realities, so this really won’t affect you. You can leave and it is all behind you, but will you be able to live with yourselves afterwards?”

Local Clark stepped forward and turned to face the rest. After a few seconds of collecting his thoughts he said, “Ching is right. This all actually falls on us, me and Lois and Zara. We really don’t have the right to ask you to risk your lives for us and this universe. If you all want to simply return, we’ll understand.”

2091 Clark looked around at the rest of the superheroes gathered there and received nods from each. He turned to Ching and local Clark and said, “We weren’t forced to be here. When Herb picked us up, he told us that there was a Lois and Clark couple that needed our help. None of us even asked if it would be dangerous, I guess we all knew that it would be, without asking. The danger doesn’t enter into the calculation. We all face danger every day. None of us are about to leave, so we need to stop all of this defeatist talk and decide how best to handle the situation so that we win.”

1993 Clark added, “Nor wants a war, let’s give him a war that he’ll remember for a long time to come.”

Local Lois moved over and hugged her husband. Each of the other women moved over and did the same with their spouses.

Lori said, “Okay, now that that’s settled, what is the best way to handle this situation?”

Local Lois said, “We have been discussing emergencies and the conclusion is that they will need to be attended to, but that a minimum of time will be spent on any one so that the team can maintain its integrity.”

The next day was a repeat of the previous. The Clarks and Ching went to the practice area to work with the Dreis.

Ching gathered them together and said, “We do not know if the Drei can actually damage a super powered individual. We do know that it can knock them down and perhaps knock them out, temporarily. If we could assure ourselves that the Drei is not lethal to a super powered individual, would you be more inclined to utilize the weapon the way it is supposed to be used?”

2013 Clark said, “When I fought Nor before, I took some pretty strong hits. They were as strong as those you gave me yesterday, maybe a little stronger and I walked away from them.”

“That’s just what I mean. I’m sure that Nor wasn’t pulling his punches. He probably hit you with his best shots and he didn’t kill you. It is very possible that an invulnerable, super powered Kryptonian cannot be killed by this weapon. That being the case, perhaps we could use it to its greatest advantage by using it to temporarily disable your opponents long enough to restrain them.”

Local Clark said, “I think we can all go along with that idea.”

Ching replied, “I hope so. That being the case, let’s work toward that end. You need to generate enough energy in the bolt to disable, at least temporarily, your opponents. Pair up and see if you can knock each other out long enough to restrain him.”

When they paired off 2013 Clark paired with 2091 Clark and they traded bolts. Slowly the power of the bolts increased. At first they were barely moved. After a time they were knocked off of their feet. Finally, 2091 Clark hit 2013 Clark with a bolt that not only knocked him off of his feet, but shook him up enough that 2091 Clark was able to superspeed over and pull his arms behind his back to restrain him before he was able to recover consciousness.

2013 Clark returned to consciousness and started to struggle to free himself to no avail.

Ching applauded. He said, “There, you see, it can be done. That’s what we need to do. It doesn’t have to be a long period. As long as it can be done and there are numerically similar numbers you can subdue them. If each of you can incapacitate your opponent in this way, as long as the women are similarly successful this war can be won.”

The Clarks kept practicing through the day and by the end of the day, each was able to generate a bolt of sufficient potency that they were consistently able to knock out their opponent.

With each successful discharge their confidence grew and by the time they were ready to head back they were in high spirits.

A privacy field had been installed at 348 Hyperion Ave. so that the travel pod would no longer be required and the women were gathered there.

Zara was saying, “Since women are prohibited from the use of the Drei we will need to develop alternative weapons. There is a selection of bladed weapons …”

Lori interrupted, “Blades are going to be ineffective against us. Perhaps we should concentrate of what we can do rather than what we can use. Personally, I’m a black belt in Tae Kwan Do.”

Each of the Loises said, “Same here.”

Zara asked, “What is this … Tae Kwan Do?”

2013 Lois said, “It is a form of unarmed combat which uses kicks and strikes. It is a very powerful form of the martial arts. I’ve had to use it a number of times.”

“I am unfamiliar with this martial art, but it does sound similar to a fighting style from Krypton. It was developed by peasants as a means of defense against armed and armored warriors that were oppressing them.”

“The history of karate is similar. The samurai were oppressing the peasants at the behest of the local warlord. The samurai had swords and bamboo armor. The blows in karate are powerful enough to break the armor and injure the wearer.”

“On Krypton the practice of these arts fell out of popularity many centuries ago and I simply know about it because I have read our history. Perhaps you could show me some of these blows that you speak of.”

Lori picked 2013 Lois and said, “Want to spar a bit?”

2013 Lois replied in the affirmative and they moved to the center of the living room floor.

After the formal bow they each took up a ready stance. 1993 Lois stood off to a side and held out her arm between them. When she jerked her hand up she shouted “Hajimi,” meaning ‘begin’.

Lori and Lois circled for a few seconds looking for an opening and suddenly closed and each performed a series of strikes and blocks at superspeed. 2013 Lois finally got in a solid punch and Lori was sent flying into 1993 Lois who caught her.

Zara was smiling as she watched. When Lori was back on her feet, Zara said, “Excellent! I do not believe that fighting of that type has been seen on Krypton for centuries! It is very possible that you will be able to use this Tae Kwan Do in the conflict and successfully subdue your opponents with it. Could you teach me some of those moves?”

Lori was still rubbing her chest where she had been struck and said, “I think that since you are superpowered and superfast we can probably teach you in a few hours what it took each of us years to learn as normal Earth humans. What do you say, Lois?”

2013 Lois nodded in agreement. “I agree, at superspeed we can compress years into a few hours. Let’s get started.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 01:33 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj