Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99346 02/20/14 06:26 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Given where he ends up by the end of this chapter, the chances of Lois becoming involved becomes greater with every chapter. What do you think?

#99347 02/20/14 07:28 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sweet, sad, and thought-provoking. Poor Clark. He thinks that he killed someone in his foster family or someone visiting the family, or was it one of his foster siblings. You just want to hug him.

Those stats are scary. I'm guessing they were accurate at some point in time, hopefully not so much today, but probably still are. frown

Metropolis, huh? Don't know how Lois the middle class + girl and Clark the vagrant are going to meet? At the police station after he's been picked up as a runaway, and she because something happened with her mother? Or had she runaway too?

Winter? Hmmmm. Can't see Lois living on the streets in the winter, unless something horrible happened at home. I hope Clark doesn't end up living on the streets for long.

Metropolis was a huge city and it’d be easier to lose himself in the crowds than it would in a small town. He’d always imagined himself moving to a place like this anyway- Washington, New York, maybe Las Angeles.
Did you misspell Los Angeles on purpose as part of Clark's characterization (being that's how many pronounce it, so that's how Clark would think it was spelled), or was it a typo? The former works for me. wink

Many beautiful images as you describe Clark on the train. I'd pull them up, but it's late and my eyes are sagging. I'll try to note them next time I have time.

Poor Clark. mecry I hope you have a happy, or a semi-happy ending planned for him. For now, I can't wait to see what awaits him at the end of his journey. I'm guessing it will be more rough times.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#99348 02/21/14 01:26 AM
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Wonderfully written and very poignant. I am definitely hooked. Looking forward to the next part.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
#99349 02/21/14 04:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
A small part of him wondered if he’d have more than thirty dollars to his name if he’d just bent the rules a little. Unfortunately, he’d seen what happened to his foster brothers and sisters when they’d bent the rules. The system hadn’t had much mercy.

Foster kids didn’t have wealthy parents to hire lawyers to either get them acquitted or get them a slap on the wrist. They were unwanted, the detritus of society and without a family to speak up for them, they sometimes had harsh sentences.
Clark had overheard one social worker talking about the statistics; forty to fifty percent wouldn’t complete high school. Sixty-six percent of them would be homeless, go to jail or die within one year of leaving the foster care system at eighteen. Thirty five percent would go to jail while still in foster care.

Seventy five to eighty percent of the youthful prison population had once been in foster care.
Clark had been determined that he was going to be one of the ones to beat the odds; instead, here he was.
Very good analysis of what happens to kids in the foster care system. (I work in a school with a lot of foster kids; frequently, they're pulled out of school in the middle of the semester with no transcripts and sent away so they don't get attached to their foster parents. It's no wonder so many don't finish high school -- and it's no wonder so many get into trouble when they've never had a chance to learn how to connect with other people.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#99350 02/21/14 05:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Frightening statistics. I was going to quote them but Annie B. just did.

Poor Clark! I hope he can hold onto his ethics when he's homeless and hungry.

#99351 02/22/14 07:04 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A very sad situation, but all too real. Clark has advantages that no one else would, but even he's daunted.

Something tells me life in Metropolis isn't going to be easy to start with, but I hope he encounters a helpful soul soon, the way canon Clark helped Jack and Denny in "The Foundling." This Clark is in a similar situation.

#99352 02/22/14 12:55 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This is so sad. whinging

There's probably millions of ways Lois and Clark could cross paths at this point; she doesn't necessarily have to be in any trouble, herself. She might bump into him at a convenience store, or while doing a story on homelessness for the school paper, or somesuch.

So when is part 3? grovel

~•~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard