Chip Off the Old Clark
Stopquitdont@bellsouth.net
++++

Before you jump into this story, I do have to warn you that it contains material some may not appreciate. It deals with a relationship Clark had before Lois. It's an LnC fic, but this other relationship plays a major part, so be warned.

This idea was inspired by the episode Chip Off the Old Clark. I wanted to answer a few questions I had about that episode. The best way I know to do that is to write a fic. So, read on.

++++

Huge, soulful eyes, filled with tears, stared out the second story window of the modest suburban home as the gray sedan pulled into the drive. He didn’t want to go with them. He’d really thought he’d found his home here. The Sanders were the best people he’d ever met in his short life, besides his mom of course. But Mom was gone; she’d left him that horrible night over two years ago. And since then it had been one foster home after another.

“Robin?”

He turned and looked at Kitty. She’d always insisted he call her that, even from the beginning. She’d said, ‘Mrs. Sanders is Jeff’s mother.’ Even then he’d liked Kitty.

“I don’t want to go.”

“I know, sweetie, but it’s time.” She held out her hand to the small boy and he reluctantly took it to be led downstairs.

Jeff, a large man with a gentle spirit, watched as the boy he’d come to love came to his side. He kneeled and pulled the child to his chest. “We’ll never forget you, Robin,” he told him softly.

Robin pulled back to look at Jeff. “I won’t forget you.” After hugging Kitty, he allowed the social worker to take his hand and lead him to the car. He took one last look at the home he wanted so badly to be his before climbing inside the vehicle. He turned to peer out the back glass, waving to Kitty and Jeff as they stood on the sidewalk watching him go. When he couldn’t see them any longer, he settled in the seat and waited for the story he knew was coming. The social workers always told him the background of the next family he would go to live with. He just hoped they liked baseball.

Lois held her left hand up so the light shown on the brilliant little stone that graced her ring finger. She liked admiring it, unable to believe that she’d waited so long to say yes.

She had said something about it, then was immediately lost in her thoughts again, so she had to focus to hear what Clark was saying.

“... And how long it took for you to *finally* put it on.”

She giggled as she responded to him, thinking how nice it was to just spend some quiet time together. They lived on the edge, so being able to do something so mundane as share dinner at home was a welcomed break.

They continued their light conversation as Clark prepared their dinner. She told him she was looking forward to him cooking and he admitted there was a lot he didn’t know about her. That thought startled her. There was a lot she didn’t know about Clark as well.

Oh, who cares! His lips were doing wonderful things to her neck right now.

“Mmm,” she moaned as she searched for his lips with her own. Clark met them with a smile on his face. Her eyes were glassy when he pulled back to look at her. She smiled and drew her hands down to run over his chest.

“That feels good,” he told her softly.

“You feel good,” she replied before leaning into another kiss he was only too happy to grant. She was smiling when she leaned back. “You know… we could just skip dinner and be naughty.”

Clark laughed softly before he leaned to nuzzle her neck. “Yes, we could,” he agreed.

Lois giggled again before drawing back to look at him. “This does bring up an interesting subject that we haven’t talk a lot about.”

“What?”

“That subject.” She waggled her brows at him, a little embarrassed to say the words. When he played innocent, she couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “Me and you. This. *The* subject.”

Clark acted as if he’d just reached a dawning revelation. “Ahh… *that* subject.” He tightened his grip around her waist and grinned widely. “Just so you know, I have no problems in that area.”

Lois smacked his chest playfully. “I didn’t think you did. I was just wondering, you know, how you feel about that.”

“I feel…” he growled and leaned to kiss her neck. “I feel very…” he mumbled against her skin.

Lois laughed at him before pushing him away. “Clark, I’m serious.” She stepped out of his embrace so she could walk back to the counter to retrieve her wine. “Is this something we should… do?”

“Well, I was kind of hoping we would,” he told her with an odd expression on his face.

She chuckled at him, almost spewing wine out of her mouth. “I’m serious here.”

“I am, too. If we’re planning to get married, I would hope *that* is an important part of our relationship.”

She shook her finger at him. “Would you straighten up? I just want to know if… *this* is something you want to do now or later. Should we jump into that kind of relationship? Should we wait until our wedding?”

Lois had started pacing and waving her hands, which meant unless he wanted to listen to a twenty minute babble session, he’d better stop her now. He reached and grabbed her so he could grind his mouth into hers. When he drew back, Lois had to struggle to catch her breath.

“Wow!” she told him when she could speak again.

“Yeah.” He leaned to kiss her again softly. “You bring up an interesting subject actually.”

“Uh huh. And just so you know,” she said as she pulled from him again. “I’m not… inexperienced. I mean, I’ve done… *that* before. Not a lot, but a few times.”

“Lois, neither of us was born on the day we met.”

“I know. I just don’t want you to think I’m some kind of floozy.”

He laughed softly. “I don’t think that. I’ve known you for nearly two years and in that time, you’ve only dated one guy. And I don’t think you’re into one-night stands.”

“No! Absolutely not.” She stopped and looked at him for a moment. “Clark, I never slept with Lex.”

He couldn’t do anything but look at her. He’d always assumed she’d been intimate with that man, as much as it pained him to think it. Lois had been engaged to Lex. He just automatically figured they would have become intimate. He focused when she spoke again.

“I guess I didn’t feel comfortable… doing that, with him. I asked him to wait until our wedding night.”

“Is that what you want now?”

Lois stopped to look at the man before her, his beautiful eyes, wide with uncharted appeal. She wondered what those eyes would look like in the heat of passion.

“No. I don’t think I do want to wait.”

Clark’s lips spread into a brilliant grin. “Mmm,” was all he could manage as he advanced to her again. After a slow, sensual kiss, he drew back to look at her. “Lois, I won’t push you and you don’t have to start an intimate relationship for my sake.”

“I know that, Clark.” She rubbed his face with her fingertips. “I want to start one for mine.”

He smiled again and let his hands roam her back. “But we don’t have to start tonight… or even tomorrow. I’m here and I’m not going anywhere.”

“What do you say we just… go with the flow? Whenever it happens, it happens.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and prepared herself for another kiss.

“I like the sound of that.” His lips met hers just as the phone rang. “Mmm hmm hmm,” Clark moaned in disappointment. “Looks like the fates would leave us alone for one night.”

Lois giggled when he didn’t let go of her to answer the phone. She decided she would see if she could distract him by kissing his neck.

“Hello?”

“Mr. Kent? Clark Kent?”

Clark pulled back from Lois a little when he didn’t recognize the voice. “Yes?”

“This is Dana Grange from Metropolis Department of Family and Children’s Services.”

Clark’s expression grew serious and he patted Lois’ arm to get her attention. She backed off, knowing this conversation might be serious.

“I don’t understand. Why is MDFCS contacting me?”

“Well, we’d really rather explain in person. Would it be possible for you to come down to the office in the morning?”

“Yes.”

“Good. We’ll see you at 8:30. And thank you, Mr. Kent.”

“You’re welcome.” He replaced the receiver and turned to Lois with a frown.

“MDFCS? Do you think this could be a story?” she asked with a slight twinkle in her eyes. She loved being led to a big story, even if the caller had contacted her partner first.

“What else could it be? Last I checked I hadn’t beaten the kids or slapped the wife around,” he joked.

Lois snorted at him. “You’re terrible.”

“Yeah. But you love me.” He stole another kiss before they moved to finish their dinner.

The rest of the evening was spent in conversation during their meal and cuddling on the sofa. Clark accompanied Lois home shortly before eleven and said his good-byes to do a quick patrol. Although they hadn’t chosen to consummate their relationship, those thoughts hadn’t been too far from either’s mind. The one thing that wasn’t thought about much, was Clark’s meeting the next morning. It was strange how love could change your priorities.