Hattie and Mr. X - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1 – P 6/11

By KenJ <ken.janney@kjanney.com>
This version is rated PG-13
Submitted

Disclaimers: Some of the characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros., except those I created. No copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Note::
This story takes place in the Matchmaker Chronicles universe. Hattie Kaplin has had a long standing relationship with Jon Kent and the entire Kent family; in fact she is almost part of the family. Recently she had been brought in on the family secret that the Kents are in fact the super family.

This story is a sequel to Hattie Kaplin and the Main Street Bomber – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1 - O

*denotes emphasis*
<denotes thoughts>
/” denotes telepathic communications.”/

Previously

The one with the silencer laughed and asked, “Want to bet I can get both of them with one bullet?”

The other’s shouted their bets.

Silencer guy said, “Let’s see.” He leveled the gun and pulled the trigger. There was a soft plop, almost like a stifled cough.

The bullet never reached its intended target. A hand snatched it out of the air.

Seeing this, silencer guy shouted, “It’s Ultra Woman! Get her!” He and his associate both opened up on Ultra Woman. Her hands became a blur as she snatched bullet after bullet from the air.

As suddenly as the fusillade had started, it stopped when both of the gun wielders dropped their weapons because they were hanging in the air, suspended by their jacket collars which were in the hands of Superman.

As the rest of the thugs tried to run, Kam-El knocked each one out. As soon as they were all unconscious he removed their belts and used them to secure their legs and used their shoe laces to secure their wrists.

Ultra Woman knelt and assisted Hattie to stand. She said, “Ms. Kaplin, how are you?”

“I’m fine, thanks, Ultra Woman. They were going to kill us.”

“I know. We overheard.”

“You overheard? Why didn’t you come in sooner?”

“Terroristic threats and kidnapping don’t carry the sentence that kidnapping and attempted murder does. We had to wait for the first shot to be fired.”

Hattie was irritated, “And in the meantime, poor JJ got hit on the head!”

JJ was just starting to sit up at this point. He said, “It’s all right, Hattie. I’ll live.”

“I need to take him home.” She said in an irritated tone.

Superman said, “That’s okay. We can handle it from here. You will need to make a statement, but you can probably do that tomorrow. I’m sure the MPD will understand.”

Hattie assisted JJ to stand and then with him leaning on her somewhat they headed for his car.

Once in the car, she challenged, “What did you think you were doing, going for that gunman that way?”

“I was hoping to distract them so that you could, I don’t know, get away or something.”

“James Olsen, Junior, don’t you ever do anything like that again. They almost killed you.”

Looking at her JJ could see the tears running down her face. He realized that she had really feared for his life and the thought that she could have lost him had really upset her. He said, in a subdued tone, “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

Her reply was succinct, “You’d better not or I’ll kill you myself.”

And now:

Chapter 6 – Aftermath

When they arrived at Hattie’s apartment a few minutes later, as soon as the door was closed behind them, Hattie threw off her coat, jumped into JJ’s arms and started a kiss that he deepened as they staggered, together with Hattie going backwards, dragging JJ toward the couch. It caught her behind the knees and she fell back onto it with JJ on top. All during this action their lips never broke contact.

Hattie struggled with his jacket, trying to remove it. She broke the kiss, long enough to gasp out, “Coat!”

He released her long enough to remove the coat and then came back down on top of her resuming the kiss.

Her hands were at the back of his head, twined in his hair, pulling him into the kiss.

Suddenly, as if she had just made a decision her hands left his head and started yanking at his tie. Once she had thrown that aside she started working the buttons on his shirt. She got one open and then a second, but was frustrated with how long it was taking and with buttons flying, she ripped the shirt open. Once it was open her hands were on his chest. That satisfied her for only a few seconds and then she reached down and started pulling the hem of her top out of her waistband. Once it was free she grabbed JJ’s hands and guided them under the shell to her bra encased breasts.

Realizing where his hands were he broke the kiss and asked, “Are you sure you want to do this?”

In answer she attacked his mouth again, her hands caused his to close on her breasts and she released a protracted sigh of pleasure into the kiss.

Releasing her left breast, JJ moved his hand behind her back and released the hooks of her bra. When his hand came back around, it was under the material and he could feel the velvety soft flesh and the hard little nub pushing into his palm.

Suddenly she renewed the assault on his lips with the fervor of unbridled passion.

JJ pulled away and gasped, “Are you sure you want to do this? I thought you wanted to wait.”

With an air almost of desperation she said, “Waiting is overrated. It’s only a matter of time. Why waste it?” As she was saying this she was fighting with his belt. Then she said, “Come on, we’ll be more comfortable on the bed.”

They got up and moved to the bedroom, shedding clothes as they did.

Once in the bedroom, Hattie pulled the coverlet down and turned to look at JJ. She was impressed. She had seen him with just his gi pants on before which showed off his chest, but now there was nothing obstructing her view. His well defined pects and six-pack abs. The musculature of his arms and legs. She closed the distance between them. In a throaty, sensual tone she said, “Come to me. Please, come to me.”

He lifted her and gently placed her on the bed. Even in the dim light he could see how beautiful she was.

He hesitated and as he did, he asked, “Are you really sure you want to do this?”

Her answer assured him of her firm decision and they started a period of delicious awe inspiring intimacy.

After a time she said, “It’s only ten o’clock and I will give you just two hours before you have to stop. We do have to get some sleep before work tomorrow. Oh, wait; forget that, we’re off tomorrow. We can forget sleep.”

Smiling, he said, “I’ll see if I can accommodate you.” They started another intimate episode.

In a dreamy tone she asked, “I never dreamed it would be this good. This is better than the other night.”

“The other night?”

“Yeah, I dreamt about our wedding night, but it was nothing like this. This is sooo much better.”

JJ levered himself up, kissed her and staring into her face said, “Maybe it really isn’t normally. Our senses could all be enhanced because we were nearly killed just a short time ago.”

“Well, maybe that is true, but anyway, I think I need a nap after all of this.”

JJ started to get up and she stopped him, “Just where do you think you’re going?”

“You want to sleep.”

“Not without you here next to me I don’t!” She pulled him back down and pulled his hand over and firmly placed it on her breast. “Now, I’ll be able to sleep for a while.” JJ settled in and with occasional squeezes of her breast watched as she composed herself for repose.

He must have dropped off as well, because the bedside clock read 11:30 when she awakened him. There followed another period of intimacy which was every bit as good as the first time.

She collapsed onto his chest and lay there breathing very heavily and eventually she said, “No, it wasn’t the fact that we were almost killed. That was every bit as good. Mmmmmmm, I think I’ll take another nap.” She closed her eyes and her even breathing told him that she was already asleep.

After another short rest they had yet another period of intimacy after which she lay next to him with her head on his shoulder for a pillow and her arm across his chest.

He played with her hair as she fell asleep again.

The next time they awoke the clock read 7:30.

It was Saturday and they had the weekend off. They called for takeout and didn’t leave the apartment at all until Monday morning.

The Saturday edition of the Planet had the following story:

"STOKES CLOSED, STAFF ARRESTED, MANAGEMENT UNDERINVESTIGATION"
Daily Planet staff writer.
“A number of staffers on ‘Stokes’ have been arrested on varying charges ranging from assault to assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder.

The intervention of the superheroes, Ultra Woman, Superman and Kam-El prevented two members of the Daily Planet team from being murdered while doing an investigation.

The reason for the assault has yet to be determined; however it is thought to be related to the investigation being pursued by the Daily Planet staff. Story continues on A2”

The paper was spread out under a light on top of a desk. A female voice challenged, “Now what are you going to do? Those losers that you had working for you failed just like all of the rest. When are you going to learn? You can’t brainwash anyone and then be able to depend on them.”

In a petulant tone the individual in the dark replied, “But, I was assured it was foolproof. They are supposed to follow orders, implicitly! Not only has this set our timeline off, it has lost me some key operatives and a testing venue.”

“How many more tests were you going to run?”

“They were testing the beta sample. They just completed the gamma formulation. It was supposed to be longer acting. The next step in my goal of being able to brainwash world leaders into doing my will and this time, I won’t need a computer to do it.”

The female voice held a hurt tone, “And just what is the problem with computers?”

“Oh, nothing really, it’s just that I’ve spent more than enough time in computers.”

“And whose fault was that? It wasn’t mine.”

Defensively he said, “I know, I did it to myself, but you helped!” He flipped up a split keyboard and scooted out from under on four wheels and started rolling back and forth as one would pace. “I need a new venue. We have to test the gamma formulation. Delta should achieve the results I am after, but we need to know how much more effective gamma is over beta before we can move ahead. Once it has been tested then we can move on to world domination.”

Monday March 5, 2029

When Hattie and JJ walked into the newsroom Monday morning there was a change in their relationship and Lois spotted the difference right away. In a low tone, she said, “Clark, I think something has happened.”

Clark had always been somewhat obtuse in matters of relationships and he asked, “Oh, what?”

“Hattie and JJ.”

“What about them?”

“I think they changed their minds about waiting.”

Clark looked at Lois with a mystified expression. “Oh? How can you tell?”

“Just by looking at them.” Lois snickered, “Also, Hattie is walking a little stiffly. I think she has been using muscles she isn’t used to using and taking unaccustomed positions.”

“I wonder why they changed their minds.”

“Don’t you think that almost being killed again might have had something to do with it?”

“Well, don’t embarrass her by saying anything.”

“What? Me? Do you really think I’d do something like that?”

“I wouldn’t put it past you.”

Lois snickered in reply.

Hattie and JJ made their way to the office.

Lois asked, “Soooooo, what did you guys do after you left Friday night? Huh? Anything … interesting? Watch a movie? Explore the pleasures of the bedroom?”

Hattie’s jaw dropped and the flush moved rapidly up her neck and into her cheeks while JJ tried to hide a nervous smile.

Clark said, sharply, “Lo-is! I said, not to embarrass them. You’re getting as bad as my mom. Actually, I don’t think even she would go that far.”

Lois said, “Oh, come on. You didn’t act this way when Jon and Jen moved in together and we both know they didn’t sleep in separate bedrooms even though it was a two bedroom apartment. Look, they’re getting married in just a couple of months. So what if they jumped the gun a little. After what nearly happened Friday night, who can blame them?”

Hattie, trying to change the subject said, “Yeah, about Friday night. What did you do with those characters?”

Clark said, “Ultra Woman went to report the incident while Superman and Kam-El made sure they stayed put until the paddy wagon arrived to cart them away.”

Lois said, “If you haven’t done so already, the two of you need to go in and give your statements.”

Clark added, “Superman, Ultra Woman and Kam-El all gave statements Friday night. They are being charged with attempted murder.” He laughed, “The bullets and shell casings were enough to prove that. The one is also being charged with felony possession of an illegal weapon. That silencer, he didn’t have a license for it.”

“They mentioned that there was a bounty on our heads.”

“Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. At various times something like that has happened to Superman. You’ve made a powerful enemy. You may have to keep a low profile for a while.”

“It’s not in my nature.”

Clark said, “See what I mean?”

Mystified at his statement, Hattie asked, “What?”

Lois answered, “He just means that I would have said the same thing. Look, Hattie girl, it’ll be best if you just keep a low profile for a while. Work from the office. No undercover. Obviously, they know what you look like.”

“That just means that we have to use disguises.”

Clark said, “Look, Hattie, Superman, Ultra Woman and Kam-El can’t be everywhere at once.”

“We know that. We also know that we have to be able to do our jobs and we have to be out and about to do that. What kind of reporter would I be if I stayed in the office all of the time?”

“Okay, you win; just try to be careful, will you?”

“We’ll try. Oh, JJ and I discussed it and … we’ve decided to move up the wedding. I’m glad we didn’t schedule the church already.”

Lois asked, “Okay, how soon?”

“Just long enough for me to get my gown and you and the girls to get dresses. How does, three weeks sound?”

“How about we make it four weeks. March 31st. That should ensure that everything can be ready.”

Hattie looked at JJ and he nodded. She said, “Okay, March 31st it is.”

Lois said, “Now that that’s settled, what other angles do you have to go at this story?”

“I need to call MPD and see if there have been any more robberies. I would guess that they could be laying low. Obviously, they know we are on to them. We really blew it by going there Friday.”

Lois said, by way of encouragement, “There’s always another angle. You just have to think of one.”

“Let’s go JJ. Let’s see what we can come up with for a new angle.”

Back at Hattie’s desk JJ sat in her guest chair and asked, “What do you want to do?”

With a sly smile she replied, “You already know what I want to do, but we are here and not in the bedroom.”

He hissed, “SShhhhhhhhhh. Remember who’s in the office? Superhearing.”

Hattie blushed as she looked back over her shoulder and saw Lois looking at her, a broad smile on her face and Clark laughing quietly. She muttered to herself, “I’ll probably never get use to that.”

Changing the subject, JJ said, “They have to be getting the drug from somewhere. If we could find out who discovered it and where it’s being made, maybe we could cut off the supply.”

Hattie jumped on that suggestion, “Yes, that’s it. You know, this all started with MetroServe, Metro-Staff and MiraLabs. Three businesses that were formerly parts of the Luthor Empire. I wonder if someone at MiraLabs formulated the drug.”

“They have a drug division, so it would be easy for them to hide the research and manufacture. I wonder if there are any components that could be traced to them specifically.”

“We need to start checking invoices and bills of lading. I’ll call Dr. Klein and see if there’s anything special we can look for. Why don’t you start checking and see if you can find out who this mysterious person is that is buying up the stock. There has to be a public record somewhere. Also, see if there’s any research being done on the Benzodiazepines drugs. There might be something in the Trade Publications. Peer reviews of the research, test results and such.”

“Maybe I can get my dad to help on that. He taught me a lot about computers, but he’s the best. I’ll see if he’s available. If he isn’t on an assignment, he might be able to help. I think Aunt Lois and Uncle Clark will be satisfied. This will keep us in the office for a while.”

“Yeah, but for a change, I’m looking forward to quitting time.”

“At lunchtime do you want to start looking for your gown?”

“Yeah, but I’m going to ask Aunt Lois to accompany me. I like the sound of that … Aunt Lois. It won’t be that long until she’s my aunt. I’ll really be a part of the family. I’m gonna go ask her.”

Hattie got up and moved to the office. “I’d like to go looking for a gown at lunchtime. Are you free?”

“Don’t you think your mom ought to be involved?”

“Ohmygosh! What was I thinking? Yeah, you’re right. I need to give her a call. I’ll get back to you.” She hastily exited and returned to her desk. Picking up the phone she dialed her mom. “Hi, Mom. It’s you wayward daughter. … I’m doing fine. Look, the reason I called, well, actually there are a couple. We are moving up the wedding. … March 31st. … yeah, the end of this month and that’s the other reason I called, I need to gown shop. Are you free at lunchtime today? … Good! Can you come by here? Aunt Lois will be going with us. … Yeah, I’m starting to call her that so that I get into the habit. … Okay, see you at noon! Love ya, bye.” She released a relieved sigh and hung up.

She went back to the office and said, “All set. She’ll be here at noon and we can go shopping.”

Lois looked over at Clark and asked, “Does the Editor have any problem with some of the staff taking a long lunch?”

Clark laughed and looking at Hattie, said, “I’m only the editor when she wants something. Sure, go ahead and have a good time. Maybe you should actually have lunch with Mel before you shop. I’m sure she’d enjoy the time with both of you. After all, you see Hattie every day, but Mel doesn’t see her that often nowadays.”

Lois turned to Hattie and said, “That sounds like a good idea to me, how about you?”

“Lunch with my two favorite women? How could I turn that down?”

“It’s a date, now, get out of here and get some work done. I like your idea of looking into MiraLabs.” Lois reached up and touched her ear.

Hattie smiled and said, “It is another angle to pursue.”

“And a safer one.”

Hattie smiled and exited.

Things were quiet for a time. There were no more mysterious robberies. The evidence provided by STAR Labs was used by the lawyers when the cases went before the Grand Jury and the decision arrived at was against indictment.

The nicest thing was that there were no more overt attempts on the lives of JJ or Hattie.

A search of the Trade Publications provided them with a lead. There was a researcher, Dr. Clarence James, now an employee of MiraLabs that had worked with Benzodiazepines in previous years. He had been hired based upon the articles which had been published

There was also a Dr. Frank Simmons who was a researcher in psychoactive drugs, specifically those used in the treatment of bi-polar disorder. His article on the use of Lithium in the treatment of schizophrenia gave them a lead as well. He also was employed by MiraLabs subsequent to the publishing of his article.

A search of the background of Dr’s James and Simmons showed that both had problems, both were gamblers. Dr. Simmons had taken a second mortgage on his home to pay off gambling debts.

Recently, however, both had received massive influxes of cash from unnamed sources. They had both claimed that they were salary bonus checks; however, they were the only individuals to receive such bonuses.

Red flags were waving all over the place when they found this information.

Saturday, March 10, 2029

Moving day had arrived. Jon and Jen, Lois and Clark all showed up to help move the couple to their new apartment.

Hattie and JJ had been living in Hattie’s apartment, but he had only moved enough of his clothes down to get by, so items had to be moved from both apartments.

Hattie and JJ had taken Friday off to begin packing up.

Lois and Hattie led the way with the first load. Hattie opened the door, stepped back and said to Lois, “Why don’t you go first.”

Lois smiled and stepped forward. As soon as she crossed the threshold she said, “Hello apartment,” and chuckled, “It’s been a long time. Be good to our girl.”

Hattie smiled as she heard this. She entered and said, “That box goes into the bedroom.”

Lois nodded and headed in that direction.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 01:35 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj