Hattie and Mr. X - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1 – P

By KenJ <ken.janney@kjanney.com>
This version is rated PG-13
Submitted

Disclaimers: Some of the characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros., except those I created. No copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Note::
This story takes place in the Matchmaker Chronicles universe. Hattie Kaplin has had a long standing relationship with Jon Kent and the entire Kent family; in fact she is almost part of the family. Recently she had been brought in on the family secret that the Kents are in fact the super family.

This story is a sequel to Hattie Kaplin and the Main Street Bomber – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1 - O and occurs approximately one year after those events.

For those of you not familiar with my Hattie Kaplin character, this is the third in her spin-off series.

The first was Hattie Kaplin - Reporter MMC Vol 1 - N

The second was Hattie and the Main Street Bomber MMC Vol 1 - O

I strongly recommend reading both before reading this one.

*denotes emphasis*
<denotes thoughts>
/” denotes telepathic communications.”/

Chapter 1 – Birthday Party
February 28, 2029
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 Canon universe also called – Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was five in the evening and Hattie looked over at her partner, James Olsen Junior, JJ, whose desk was just across from hers and saw that he was shutting down his workstation. Looking at her watch she decided that she needed to do the same thing if they were to get to the party on time.

As she was shutting down her system she pulled out a box of expensive chocolates from her desk drawer. She had been rationing them, limiting herself to one piece a day so that they would last. Taking her time as she picked out the piece for today she smiled. The box had been a Valentine’s Day gift along with a dozen, long stemmed, red roses from her fiancé, Jimmy Junior. She popped the piece of chocolate into her mouth and closed her eyes in rapture, savoring the flavor as it melted in her mouth. After two minutes of blissful enjoyment she finally opened her eyes to see JJ leaning on her desk, a smile on his face, watching her. She smiled and said, “Whoever said that Valentine’s Day is only one day of the year? I was just reliving it. Thank you!” She closed the distance between them and gave him a kiss.

There were two very interested observers. Lois and Clark were both in the process of preparing to leave when they saw the scene unfold. Lois looked at Clark and said, “Guess who they remind me of.”

“It took us a couple of years to get to that point.”

“They had an advantage. They’ve known and liked each other since they were teens. Teaming them up was a good move on our part.”

Clark moved over and gave Lois a hug as he said, “My little matchmaker.”

Lois inclined her head in their direction as she said, “That match was made long before we put them together.”

Clark said, “I wonder why they’re leaving so early. The party isn’t for a few hours yet.”

Lois shook her head at the reminiscence as she said, “I’m glad I gave up, long ago, on trying to throw a surprise birthday party for you. The one time you were surprised, we were both caught off guard practically ripping each other’s clothes off when the lights went on and everyone was yelling ‘Surprise!’ I was mortified! Ah well. Don’t worry, they will be at the party, but they have a karate class first. Hattie is preparing for testing for her third dan black belt. Jimmy has been working hard and pretty soon will test for his first dan brown belt. He has progressed through the ranks very rapidly. Hattie has been working with him to hone his skills and it has helped her prepare for her own test.”

Chuckling, Clark said, “I guess he decided he needed to learn karate in order to keep up with her. He already knew Judo.”

Lois added, “He’s been teaching her some of that. By the time they are finished, they could be unstoppable in a fight.”

Thoughtfully, Clark added, “They have been able to take care of themselves in the skirmishes they have been involved in.” Thoughtfully he continued, “You know, it seems like the criminals are becoming even more violent than when we were doing investigations. I am still concerned. In the last year Kam-El has had to save her when she was thrown off the top of a building, Ultra Woman had to save her from being blown up, Superman saved them both from dying in a car wreck when the crooks ran them off the road and over a cliff, Kam-El kept her from being shot by a sniper, it’s a good thing he happened to be patrolling there at that time.

Lois interrupted, “Jon caught that bullet just inches from her body and was able to catch the sniper, but he either wouldn’t or couldn’t identify that one that put him up to it.”

Clark resumed, “Yeah, if he would have talked we might have gotten somewhere by now. Ultra Woman saved her again, this time from being run down by a hit and run driver, again, he wouldn’t talk and last but not least, just last week, they were tied up and I pulled both of them off a boat that was about to explode.” He started to chuckle, “I have always said that you and she are like two peas in a pod, but as hard as it may be to believe, I think she has actually outdone you in the number of times she’s had to be rescued.”

“Do you think that she is taking unnecessary chances?”

Clark still had a thoughtful expression as he continued, “Actually, I’m sure there’s more to it than that. It looks like there is a concerted effort on the part of someone to do away with our girl and they are going to extremes. Hiring a sniper isn’t something that could be called an accident. She has ruffled someone’s feathers and they are trying to get rid of her.”

In a very excited tone, Lois said, “We need to find out who it is and put them behind bars!”

Clark was confident as he answered, “I’m sure Hattie is working on just that. Come on, we need to get home so that we can get ready for our guests.”

At 6:30 Hattie was unlocking the door to her apartment. When she had opened the last lock she gave the door a little shove, turned around and put her arms around JJ’s neck and gave him a kiss. After several minutes they broke the kiss, because both of them needed air. She leaned her head into his chest and breathed deeply in an attempt to overcome the oxygen deficit and once she had recovered somewhat she started to giggle. Finally she was able to say, “Either we have to learn to breathe through our noses while we kiss or make our kisses shorter.”

Breathlessly, JJ replied, “I wonder how Aunt Lois and Uncle Clark do it. I’ve seen them in a lip lock for five minutes at a time.”

Hattie laughed and replied in a whisper, “They can each hold their breath for a llllllooooooonnnnnnggggg time.”

JJ laughed and said, “I guess that does make a difference.”

Hattie closed the distance and gave JJ another, this time a shorter kiss and said, “We need to change and get ready for the party.”

“I’ll pick you up in half an hour. Has the insurance company told you when they will settle on your car?”

“Yeah, next week. They have threatened to put me into a high risk category if I wreck another one. This is the third one this year.” In an exasperated tone she continued, “None of them were even my fault. It all started when they blew up my car when the head of MetroServe tried to kill me. The second one was when we were following that car so that we could spy on their meeting and that other car ran us off the road and off the cliff. Superman got us out while we were still falling. He didn’t bother with the car because it would have been totaled anyhow. Then there was that hit and run with the driver using an armored car, no less. He was trying to crush us. Fortunately, Ultra Woman stopped him and got us out of the wreck before the gas tank exploded.”

“Okay, I’ll be back in half an hour.” JJ turned and headed for the stairwell. Fortunately he was only on the next floor with his apartment directly over Hattie’s.

Twenty-five minutes later JJ was back in front of her door and knocking. He heard her opening the locks as she said, “Just a sec.”

When she opened the door she stepped back to let him in. She was drying her hair from a shower and all she had on was a towel. When she lifted her hands to use the towel on her hair it lifted the hem of the one around her body and opened it along her side which afforded JJ a generous peek at her. Noting his stare she did a slow pirouette and asked, “Like what you see?”

“You know it.” He said with feeling.

Looking at the ring on her left hand she replied, “Just a few more months then what you see is what you get.”

He replied, “I am having a hard time waiting. What if something happens to one or both of us? Look at how many times we’ve almost been killed in the last year.”

“We just have to take that chance. I wanted to wait so that the wedding night would be special.” Suddenly a memory came to her mind and she said, “Wait right here,” and in a flash of pink flesh she scampered into her bedroom.

Once in her bedroom she dropped the towel from around her body, pulled open her dresser drawer and drew out a royal blue lacey bra and matching lacy, thong. After donning these she grabbed a sea green terry cloth robe that reached to her knees and put it on.

Walking back into the living room, in a saucy tone, she asked, “Would you like a preview?”

Mystified he asked, “Preview of what?”

With a mischievous grin she replied, “Our wedding night.”

“I don’t know. I’m already having a hard time controlling myself. If you entice me any more, I may not be held responsible for my actions.”

“Just keep in mind that this is look, but don’t touch. This is just a preview with the emphasis on *view*.”

“Okay, I’ll try to keep that in mind.”

Hattie put her hands on his arms and guided him to one side of the living room and then she moved to the other side. Once there she turned her back to him and loosened the robe. Slowly she slid the robe off of one shoulder, revealing the strap of the bra and a part of her back. Sliding the robe off the other shoulder she allowed it to fall to her waist with her arms still in the sleeves and looked coyly over her right shoulder. Judging his reaction she lowered her arms and allowed the robe to fall to the floor.

JJ’s eyes flew wide and his mouth fell open in a gasp. She was standing there almost nude, just a thin band around her waist and another at her back. He couldn’t believe how beautiful her body was. He had seen her in her workout gear, but this was her virtually unadorned body.

Slowly she turned towards him and she watched as he started to breathe heavily and sweat. The bra she was wearing enhanced without really covering and the thong was so brief and both were of such a sheer very fine lace that virtually nothing was hidden.

Once she was completely facing him, in a throaty, sultry, tone she asked, “You like?” Looking at him and seeing his reaction, she already knew the answer to her question. When she had been looking back over her shoulder she had seen his body’s reaction. Now that she was facing him she could almost his reaction as it increased.

All he could get out was, “Wow.” In a hushed tone. Unconsciously he took a half step in her direction and his hands reached for her.

Smiling, she said, “Hold on, Tiger. Remember, I said, ‘Look, but don’t touch'. This was just a preview.” She bent and picked up her robe and when she did she displayed her assets just that much more. Her smile persisted, a very satisfied smile. This was the reaction she had been hoping for almost a year ago when she had dressed similarly for the superhero Kam-El. Of course, at that time she didn’t know that Kam-El was actually her best friend Jon Kent. At that time he was about to be married to Jennifer and they were living together, but that night she had learned the truth. He hadn't so much as looked at her and that rejection had hurt. JJ was most definitely looking. Her ego had smarted under Kam-El's rejection, at least until she had been told the family secret. Now, with JJ, seeing his reaction, her ego was receiving quite a boost.

JJ said, “Do we have to wait? I mean, we could elope tonight.”

Her joy was bubbling up and was evident in her tone as she teased, “What, and miss your uncle’s birthday party?” she asked as she put the robe back on.

“After seeing you, like that, I don’t think I want to wait until June.”

She reached out and laid her hand on his chest. As she did, he jumped. “Just remember what I looked like and let me go put on some clothes.”

“I’m going to have a hard time concentrating on anything other than the memory of what you look like.”

Hattie put her hand, gently on the side of his cheek and slid it along his jaw line as she said, again using a sultry tone, “Just keep in mind that under the clothes I’m about to put on, I’m wearing,” she opened the robe again for him to see, “this.” When he reached for her again she giggled, closed the robe, scampered out of his reach and into her bedroom. Two minutes later she emerged wearing a scoop neck blouse which showed off a lot of cleavage and an ankle length wrap skirt. It was February after all. As she walked the side where the skirt overlapped would open as a slit and reveal her shapely leg to his view.

Seeing her, JJ thought, <I’m in big trouble. She’s teasing me deliberately. I hope I can hold out.>

JJ helped her with her coat and then they moved downstairs and out to JJ’s car for the trip to the, Wisteria Lane, Kent home. JJ held the door for her and Hattie gracefully got into the passenger side. Once JJ was behind the steering wheel and she saw him glance in her direction she slowly crossed her legs which opened the slit in the wrap skirt on his side all the way to her hip giving him a view of her entire leg. She grinned as she watched him staring at her display. She could see a hungry look in his eyes and it sent a shiver up her spine. The thought of having someone want her that much ... she just couldn't believe her good fortune.

For so long, she had thought that *Jon* was the one. She had to admit to herself that she had fallen in love with Jon Kent the first day they met, all those years ago in middle school, but unfortunately, that was never to be. She had learned, later that it was a Kryptonian thing, a love at first sight and if it didn't happen then, it just wouldn't. She was destined never to be his wife and lover, but to always be just his friend and pretty soon, his cousin. She had spent a lot of time with Jon and Lara and the rest of the family through the years and fortunately for her that had included JJ. Now she and JJ were engaged to be married in just a few months.

She was starting to have second thoughts, herself, about waiting and seeing how eager he was just weakened her resolve that much more. She knew that Jon and Jen had lived together for about six months before they had gotten married and look at how happy they were. They were blissfully happy as were Lara and Mike. They had been married now for several years. They had married while in college and she had worked to put him through law school and then he had returned the favor. Now they worked together at the same law firm in LA.

Hattie had found out that fateful night why Jon and Jen had decided on living together before the wedding. It was ultimately for her safety. The modification of her body’s physiology by his Kryptonian aura was approximately a three year process. Once her body had been changed, by using the pendant she would aslo be super and safe from criminals that might attack the members of the family if their secret identities were ever revealed. It was a simple idea, the sooner they started living together, the sooner she would be super and safe.

Coming out of her reverie, she realized that JJ hadn't even started the engine and she was starting to get cold. He was still staring at her leg with that hungry look in his eyes. She reached down and pulled the bottom of her coat over, effectively concealing her leg and JJ snapped out of his almost hypnotic state. Hattie said, "At this rate we will never make it to the party. I'm sorry, JJ, I shouldn't be teasing you this way. I'm not being very kind, am I?"

"No, please don't stop. I don't mind at all. I just wish I had Uncle Clark's powers. Right now I could use a swim in the arctic."

Hattie burst out in tinkling laughter and JJ thought it was the sweetest music he had ever heard.

A little later that evening at the party, Hattie asked if she and JJ could speak with Lois and Clark, in private.

Once in the office, Hattie addressed Lois, “I’m planning my wedding party.” Lois nodded. “I’d like you to be my Matron of Honor.”

Lois smiled and said, “I thought you would be asking Lara or perhaps Jen. Are you sure you want me? Lara has always been your best girlfriend and you were in Jen’s wedding party.”

Hattie replied without even needing to give her answer any thought, “I’ve known for a long time that you were the one I would want up there with me. Even before I met Jon, you were my hero and role model. In the years since … well … I’ve gotten to know you and, I have to be honest, I really love you. You’ve always been like a mother to me and I can’t think of anyone that I would rather have stand with me when I join this family. It just wouldn’t feel right having anyone else there.”

JJ chimed in, “Please say, yes, Aunt Lois, because otherwise I won’t be able to have the best man that I want.” He turned to Clark and asked, “Uncle Clark, would you be my best man? My dad will be there, but you’re the one I want to stand with me.”

Clark looked at Lois and said, “I think I can speak for the both of us when I say, we accept and we are honored that you have asked us to do this.”

Hattie threw her arms around Lois and started to weep, for joy. Lois pulled her into a hug and said, “Hattie girl, you have made me very happy. I have to be mother of the bride or groom for our kids. This is going to be a special day, for both of us.”

JJ shook Clark’s hand and said, “Thanks, Uncle Clark. I appreciate you doing this for me.”

Going back out into the main room Lois called for everyone’s attention.

“Listen up. Hattie has just asked me to be her Matron of Honor.”

Hattie was surprised. She expected a response of disappointment from Lara or perhaps Jen, but instead both of them smiled and congratulated their mom. No matter how long she would know this family, they continued to surprise her. Their attitude of selfless service and the total lack of animosity continually amazed her. She just hoped that she fit in. Even as she was thinking this she saw how Lois was looking at her and realized that yes, she did belong in this family. She had been with them for sixteen years, more than half of her life, and it felt so natural here, even more than her own. She just felt like she belonged here. She wasn’t super, but that wasn’t important. It was the people, not the powers that made this family what it was and she got a warm, comfortable feeling just being with them. She just couldn’t imagine being with anyone else for the rest of her life.

Lara, Jen, Celeste, Jessica and Lucy all came over and congratulated her and as they did, each was added to the wedding party.

While the girls were gathered, JJ asked each of his cousins to be ushers. Thus the wedding party was balanced out.

The girls took Lois and Hattie into another room so that they could start planning the wedding.

The guys all gathered around the TV and put on the Metropolis Hoopsters / Gotham Growlers game.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 01:59 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj