Print Thread
#98752 01/19/14 05:33 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 12:24 PM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98753 01/20/14 03:18 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Rachel is a smart girl, she can clearly see the truth about Clark's feelings, even when he can't... anyway it doesn't help when his eyes sparks any time he speaks of her... Clark meet Lois, Clark falls in love with Lois, at any dimension.

I've been crying while reading this part, I like Rachel, and I hope you can give her a happy ending.
Aaaaw. .. Please, tell me when is Lois coming back?? Is she actually coming back????

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"
#98754 01/20/14 06:06 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by chelo:
Rachel is a smart girl, she can clearly see the truth about Clark's feelings, even when he can't... anyway it doesn't help when his eyes sparks any time he speaks of her... Clark meet Lois, Clark falls in love with Lois, at any dimension.

I've been crying while reading this part, I like Rachel, and I hope you can give her a happy ending.
Aaaaw. .. Please, tell me when is Lois coming back?? Is she actually coming back????
Clark can't allow himself to think of Lois as anything but a friend -- it's too painful. He froze her as an act of mercy, but it went against everything he'd ever been taught. Taking the life of a friend was the hardest thing he'd ever done -- if he allows himself to think of Lois as more than a friend, it could be too much.

We didn't see much of Rachel's character in the show, though she did seem to be rather jealous of Lois. I'm expanding on her character a bit here.

As far as Lois goes ... well ... all I can say is keep reading. devil

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

#98755 01/20/14 03:56 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This was very well-written. That was a dreadful conversation for two young people to have to have, and you captured both sides of it with depth and veracity.

#98756 01/21/14 04:25 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by AmyPrime:
This was very well-written. That was a dreadful conversation for two young people to have to have, and you captured both sides of it with depth and veracity.
Thanks. I've seen a lot of fanfics (in numerous fandoms) where any potential love interest outside of the accepted pairing is treated as evil. I try to avoid that (unless it's canon, and sometimes even then I'll write the other potential love interest sympathetically).

#98757 01/25/14 06:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. What a powerful chapter. You captured the true immorality and evil of the Hunger Games - not the killing (although that's a big part of it), but the corruption of the innocence of the players. Especially the corruption of the winner. The conversation that Clark just had with Rachel is good - and very chilling.

Look at how Haver and Matilda have to drink/drug themselves to get through the day. Look at how Clark is no longer the boy he once was. Look at how Clark has killed - and we know that Superman would never do such a thing (but of course, Clark isn't Superman yet.)

The Lois/Rachel/Clark love triangle - that was powerfully written too. Well done. And well done again.

#98758 01/26/14 07:23 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Wow. What a powerful chapter. You captured the true immorality and evil of the Hunger Games - not the killing (although that's a big part of it), but the corruption of the innocence of the players. Especially the corruption of the winner. The conversation that Clark just had with Rachel is good - and very chilling.

Look at how Haver and Matilda have to drink/drug themselves to get through the day. Look at how Clark is no longer the boy he once was. Look at how Clark has killed - and we know that Superman would never do such a thing (but of course, Clark isn't Superman yet.)

The Lois/Rachel/Clark love triangle - that was powerfully written too. Well done. And well done again.
One of the things the Hunger Games novels looks at is just how messed up many of the victors are (Haymitch drinks constantly, as does Chaff, some victors are addicted to morphling, Johanna is cold and brash, Katniss has terrible nightmares, Peeta paints very disturbing pictures to get the memories out of his head, etc.)

Clark doesn't want to hurt anyone, and he's extremely remorseful about the two murders he committed in the arena, no matter how accidental or merciful they were. He's still a decent person, though he doesn't believe it. He can't drown his memories in drugs or alcohol, though--he's immune to those things. There are no crutches for him, and learning to cope can be a long, hard process. (I've read that one of things Suzanne Collins based the Hunger Games series on was her father's experiences in Vietnam, a war well-known for leaving many participants with varying degrees of PTSD (not that other wars haven't done the same thing to people--they have, but more attention was paid to the problems after Vietnam than after earlier wars).

Clark does care about Rachel, but she's rightfully angry with him, even if he doesn't believe that his relationship with Lois was anything more than friendship. He doesn't want to hurt Rachel, but it was inevitable that she would be hurt. He's serious about never marrying and having children--he has no intention of giving the Capitol more victims.

#98759 01/26/14 11:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In a strongly written and powerful story, this is probably your best chapter yet. Clark and Rachel desperately needed to talk, about their feelings towards each other and what the future might bring.

Rachel looked away from him, shuffling her feet uncomfortably. “I actually didn’t want to talk to you in front of the cameras. Pete and Lana … well …”

“They think I was cheating on you, don’t they? They’re mad at me because of Lois.”
The late tribute, Lois Lane seems to stand in their path ALMOST more than anything else. The Clark before the Games was a decent and kind person, the Clark afterward is still decent and kind, but terribly scarred. Poor Rachel, she has no idea what Clark endured in the arena and now that she's over the age to be reaped she will never understand. (Not that I want her to suffer such a fate.)

It is so sad that Rachel could not maintain a friendship with Clark. His reasons for not marrying are sound and right. He would need a friend to help him ease into this 'new life' that being a victor will force him into leading. At this moment, she is suffering from deep sadness at the loss of a friend and jealously over a rival she cannot defeat.

Wait a second! Murders ... Lois is dead.

Amazing chapter....

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard