Print Thread
#98282 12/07/13 05:48 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 12:16 PM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98283 12/07/13 10:27 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh my goodness. This can't be good. Poor Clark. I could feel his terror. All this time, he's been as careful as possible and then a few small incidents, which could mean nothing, are all put together by the worst possible person.

I'm still loving this story, possibly more so because I know nothing about the Hunger Games at all.

I have to confess that, even though you probably mean for Lois and Clark to be Dean and Teri as you are posting on these boards, I can't help but imagine Tom Welling and Erica Durance. I guess this is because of the age they are in this story. Imagining Dean and Teri as anything but late 20s is hard for me, and Tom and Erica played 16 - 22 year olds for years. Anyway, for me the scared naivety of Clark seems to fit Tom's version too.

Hoping for more soon.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#98284 12/08/13 06:21 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

I wonder if Luthor noticed anything similar. I'm not sure whether he would have access to the security footage that Snow has or the extra footage from the games, but it's not unlikely.

Clark seems to think that Luthor is hiding his pain at his son's death, but I figure that he's not broke up about it. If he was actually concerned about Lysander, he would have brought him to the Capitol instead of letting him be reaped. I doubt that Lysander is his only illegitimate child, either. He's probably more concerned about his reputation than what happens to his various children.

You've done a good job of capturing Clark's anxiety. It's a bit nerve-wracking just reading it.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#98285 12/13/13 08:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
At last! Time to get my comment in!

The following evening, Clark stood beneath the stage with the other members of his support team. It was customary for them to stand on metal plates that would rise from beneath the stage — an act that bore an unfortunate resemblance to the tributes rising into the arena. The prep team, Marcius, and Rosaline took their places on their platforms without trepidation, but Haver, Matilda, and Clark stepped onto their plates nervously, all three remembering being lifted into the arena.
The Capitolites must think it is an honor for the victors to appear in front of the audience in the same manner as they entered the arena. Its a pity Marcius has never been reaped, maybe he wouldn't be so anxious to step on those plates...

The audience went wild as he rose onto the stage. Remembering Haver’s instructions, Clark pasted a smile on his face and nodded to acknowledge the cheering people. The smile was entirely fake, but he doubted many people noticed. In the Capitol, people saw what they wanted to see. In addition, Rosaline had dressed him in tight pants and a loose, open vest with no shirt, commenting that people wouldn’t be looking at his face when he was dressed like that. Her remark had embarrassed him at first, but now he was glad to distract people who might otherwise guess that he was anything but happy to be there.
Clark is learning about the people of this city. They want to see a 'happy and triumphant victor'. He understands the importance of misdirection. If given time will he learn enough to be able to play this deadly game?

No tribute’s death was left unshown in the highlight film. Clark saw how the Career tributes had allowed Claude to fight for them during the bloodbath, only to turn on him once they’d secured the Cornucopia for themselves. By that time, Platinum had staggered back to her friends and Mayson was trying to tend to her injuries, so they were the only two of the six Career tributes who hadn’t participated in torturing Claude. The District 3 boy had been confused and terrified at the others turning on him, pleading with them and screaming in pain as they’d amused themselves by poking him with knives and spears and throwing rocks at him. It was only when he’d broken away from them and nearly escaped that Tiburon, the boy from District 4, had put a spear through him.

It hadn’t been long after that when Lumen had killed Platinum. She had been sitting atop a crate, propped up against the side of the Cornucopia, a blood-stained bandage on her head and her useless right arm dangling. Lumen had asked her with false sympathy how she was doing. When she’d mentioned that she couldn’t move her arm, he’d nodded, then abruptly run her through with his sword.

Platinum had stared at him in silent shock for a few seconds before dying while Mayson screamed and Lysander went after Lumen. The two boys had fought with their swords before Lysander had succeeded in disarming Lumen and shoving him up against the Cornucopia. He had been about to kill him when the other three Careers had pulled him away. Lumen and Lysander had screamed at each other, much of their conversation bleeped out, before Lumen had finally convinced Lysander that Platinum had been a liability to them.
The Careers have trained for this event most of their lives; nonetheless it is sad to see they have such lack of respect for life. Clark is a far better person than any of them.

Clark knew that there had been only one camera in the cave — he had checked. And though he didn’t feel any pride in winning the Games, he was nevertheless glad that he had denied the Capitolites the sick pleasure of watching Lois die. Her death had been private, the cause uncertain. For the Capitolites, who were accustomed to seeing the deaths of every tribute, no matter how gruesome or painful, the frustration of not seeing Lois’s death was great. They didn’t know what had happened, and Clark vowed that they never would.
Clark is a class act.

“Matilda and I did arrange for sponsors,” Haver told Clark, “but the Gamemakers refused to allow any gifts to be sent to you until the feast. By that time, everything was so expensive that it took all of the sponsorship money to provide those artificial logs. Had you received gifts earlier, what you received at the feast would have been far smaller and far less useful.”
The Gamemakers are a little crazy...
Why was everything more expensive at this point?

“President Snow has requested an audience with the new victor — immediately.”

“I’m sure it can wait.”

“No. He was quite emphatic. He wishes to speak to Mr. Kent now.”

Luthor still looked irritated, but he nodded. “All right. Clark, I will speak to you at another time. After all, one mustn’t keep President Snow waiting.”
Finally! Mr. Luthor makes his appearance and as always its impressive. But wait! Do I detect a bit of testiness on Lex's part? Does he want the position of President? Also, does he have plans for the hapless young man from District 9? frown

“It seems, Mr. Kent, that you have … powers … far beyond that of ordinary humans. On the night you were ‘born’, a shooting star streaked across Panem and a rocket landed in one of your parents’ fields in District 9. Your parents insisted to investigators that you were their son … but it seems they lied. No ordinary couple could have produced a child like you.”
Clark - and his family - are in DEEP trouble.

I am in total agreement with my fellow commenters, the worst person possible is in possession of Clark's closely guarded secret. He makes Lex look like a rank amateur!

FoLC's, if you get a chance, read Ubermann by Dandello. This shows what happens when a heartless Clark lands on our planet. It will chill your bones to their very marrow. President Snow, beware.

Annie, I await the next installment with eager anticipation.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#98286 12/14/13 04:36 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by KatherineKent:
Oh my goodness. This can't be good. Poor Clark. I could feel his terror. All this time, he's been as careful as possible and then a few small incidents, which could mean nothing, are all put together by the worst possible person.

I'm still loving this story, possibly more so because I know nothing about the Hunger Games at all.

I have to confess that, even though you probably mean for Lois and Clark to be Dean and Teri as you are posting on these boards, I can't help but imagine Tom Welling and Erica Durance. I guess this is because of the age they are in this story. Imagining Dean and Teri as anything but late 20s is hard for me, and Tom and Erica played 16 - 22 year olds for years. Anyway, for me the scared naivety of Clark seems to fit Tom's version too.

Hoping for more soon.
Yes, Clark is in trouble...Snow is the worst possible person to discover his secret (worse even than Luthor).

Yes, I envision Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher as the main characters, but Tom Welling and Erica Durance work just as well in the mind's eye. Of course, it helps that I found some very young pictures of Dean and Teri on Google, so it's easier to envision them as teenagers.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

#98287 12/14/13 04:44 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

I wonder if Luthor noticed anything similar. I'm not sure whether he would have access to the security footage that Snow has or the extra footage from the games, but it's not unlikely.

Clark seems to think that Luthor is hiding his pain at his son's death, but I figure that he's not broke up about it. If he was actually concerned about Lysander, he would have brought him to the Capitol instead of letting him be reaped. I doubt that Lysander is his only illegitimate child, either. He's probably more concerned about his reputation than what happens to his various children.

You've done a good job of capturing Clark's anxiety. It's a bit nerve-wracking just reading it.
Luthor doesn't know Clark's secret--at least not yet. Maybe later he'll find out. As to whether Luthor is upset by Lysander's death--just keep reading. The answer will be revealed eventually. I will say that Lex isn't a total monster, but he also doesn't possess much of a conscience (more than Snow, but that's not saying much).

#98288 12/14/13 05:08 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by Morgana:
At last! Time to get my comment in!

The following evening, Clark stood beneath the stage with the other members of his support team. It was customary for them to stand on metal plates that would rise from beneath the stage — an act that bore an unfortunate resemblance to the tributes rising into the arena. The prep team, Marcius, and Rosaline took their places on their platforms without trepidation, but Haver, Matilda, and Clark stepped onto their plates nervously, all three remembering being lifted into the arena.
The Capitolites must think it is an honor for the victors to appear in front of the audience in the same manner as they entered the arena. Its a pity Marcius has never been reaped, maybe he wouldn't be so anxious to step on those plates...
Mind games. Surviving the arena is the easy part.

The audience went wild as he rose onto the stage. Remembering Haver’s instructions, Clark pasted a smile on his face and nodded to acknowledge the cheering people. The smile was entirely fake, but he doubted many people noticed. In the Capitol, people saw what they wanted to see. In addition, Rosaline had dressed him in tight pants and a loose, open vest with no shirt, commenting that people wouldn’t be looking at his face when he was dressed like that. Her remark had embarrassed him at first, but now he was glad to distract people who might otherwise guess that he was anything but happy to be there.
Clark is learning about the people of this city. They want to see a 'happy and triumphant victor'. He understands the importance of misdirection. If given time will he learn enough to be able to play this deadly game? [/QUOTE]
Well, he's already been misdirecting people for quite a while as far as his powers are concerned. Learning to play the Capitol's game is new, though. Luckily, he's a fast learner.

No tribute’s death was left unshown in the highlight film. Clark saw how the Career tributes had allowed Claude to fight for them during the bloodbath, only to turn on him once they’d secured the Cornucopia for themselves. By that time, Platinum had staggered back to her friends and Mayson was trying to tend to her injuries, so they were the only two of the six Career tributes who hadn’t participated in torturing Claude. The District 3 boy had been confused and terrified at the others turning on him, pleading with them and screaming in pain as they’d amused themselves by poking him with knives and spears and throwing rocks at him. It was only when he’d broken away from them and nearly escaped that Tiburon, the boy from District 4, had put a spear through him.

It hadn’t been long after that when Lumen had killed Platinum. She had been sitting atop a crate, propped up against the side of the Cornucopia, a blood-stained bandage on her head and her useless right arm dangling. Lumen had asked her with false sympathy how she was doing. When she’d mentioned that she couldn’t move her arm, he’d nodded, then abruptly run her through with his sword.

Platinum had stared at him in silent shock for a few seconds before dying while Mayson screamed and Lysander went after Lumen. The two boys had fought with their swords before Lysander had succeeded in disarming Lumen and shoving him up against the Cornucopia. He had been about to kill him when the other three Careers had pulled him away. Lumen and Lysander had screamed at each other, much of their conversation bleeped out, before Lumen had finally convinced Lysander that Platinum had been a liability to them.
The Careers have trained for this event most of their lives; nonetheless it is sad to see they have such lack of respect for life. Clark is a far better person than any of them.[/QUOTE]
Lumen was the most vicious of the group, while Mayson was the least vicious. Lumen enjoyed hurting people, while for Mayson the Games were just a means to an end.

Clark knew that there had been only one camera in the cave — he had checked. And though he didn’t feel any pride in winning the Games, he was nevertheless glad that he had denied the Capitolites the sick pleasure of watching Lois die. Her death had been private, the cause uncertain. For the Capitolites, who were accustomed to seeing the deaths of every tribute, no matter how gruesome or painful, the frustration of not seeing Lois’s death was great. They didn’t know what had happened, and Clark vowed that they never would.
Clark is a class act.[/QUOTE]
Yes. He understands enough of the Capitol's game to play it, but he also maintains his sense of decency. It's a very fine line.

“Matilda and I did arrange for sponsors,” Haver told Clark, “but the Gamemakers refused to allow any gifts to be sent to you until the feast. By that time, everything was so expensive that it took all of the sponsorship money to provide those artificial logs. Had you received gifts earlier, what you received at the feast would have been far smaller and far less useful.”
The Gamemakers are a little crazy...
Why was everything more expensive at this point?[/QUOTE]
I think it has something to do with the higher stakes later in the Games. In the novel The Hunger Games, Katniss states that the amount of money that will buy a full meal early in the Games will only buy a cracker later on.

“President Snow has requested an audience with the new victor — immediately.”

“I’m sure it can wait.”

“No. He was quite emphatic. He wishes to speak to Mr. Kent now.”

Luthor still looked irritated, but he nodded. “All right. Clark, I will speak to you at another time. After all, one mustn’t keep President Snow waiting.”
Finally! Mr. Luthor makes his appearance and as always its impressive. But wait! Do I detect a bit of testiness on Lex's part? Does he want the position of President? Also, does he have plans for the hapless young man from District 9? frown [/QUOTE]
Luthor loves power, though whether he wants to be president is debatable. He is Snow's biggest rival for power in this story. And Luthor, like Snow, likes to use victors for his own purposes.

“It seems, Mr. Kent, that you have … powers … far beyond that of ordinary humans. On the night you were ‘born’, a shooting star streaked across Panem and a rocket landed in one of your parents’ fields in District 9. Your parents insisted to investigators that you were their son … but it seems they lied. No ordinary couple could have produced a child like you.”
Clark - and his family - are in DEEP trouble.[/QUOTE]
Definitely. All those years of keeping Clark's origins a secret were undone by a few thoughtless actions on Clark's part, plus events in the Hunger Games that he had no control over. The consequences, and how Clark deals with them, remain to be seen.

I am in total agreement with my fellow commenters, the worst person possible is in possession of Clark's closely guarded secret. He makes Lex look like a rank amateur!

FoLC's, if you get a chance, read [b]Ubermann
by Dandello. This shows what happens when a heartless Clark lands on our planet. It will chill your bones to their very marrow. President Snow, beware.

Annie, I await the next installment with eager anticipation. [/b]
I read Ubermann. It was...unsettling, to say the least.

The Clark of Panem has a conscience--for better or worse. Having no conscience would make his life easier in such a society, but he does have one, a strong one, which is going to make finding the balance between what's necessary and what's right a challenge.

#98289 01/09/14 10:40 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
OH.MY.GOD!! This has to be a nightmare. .. cat this guy is far worse than Lex!! Or, at this moment it is... right now, I'm afraid of reading what's next!!! eek eek eek

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard