Print Thread
#98164 11/23/13 03:38 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 12:14 PM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98165 11/23/13 02:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like how Clark gets to see how Lois feels.

And they're right - the tributes are changed by being in the Arena. We are lucky that in our universe, Clark never had to face this trial. How would this have affected him when he later became Superman?

#98166 11/25/13 02:32 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I saw 'Catching Fire' on Saturday, some parts of which will be used in this story. Anyone else seen it yet? (It was excellent, by the way, though it left out some things from the book.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#98167 11/26/13 03:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sometimes it's just hard to me to get to a free computer! Anyhow, here my comment on the latest installment of your epic... laugh

Clark heard him and frowned, thinking of the twenty-three other tributes who had died. He wished he could have helped them, could have saved them, but ultimately there had been nothing he could do. Lysander and Lois had died at his hands, Mayson had lost the gamble she had made in hopes of having a better life, and he had failed to protect Becky.
This is Clark at his essence, always willing to help those in need. Even poor Mayson gets mentioned. The helplessness of the situation in the arena has at times overwhelmed him, but despite the what he perceives as failures are helping to mold him into (hopefully) a better person.

“She dropped her token when she died. If it hadn’t set off the mines, her body would have when she fell off the plate.” Haver gasped in shock as Clark grabbed his shirt and dragged him forward until their faces were inches apart.
This entire scene between Clark and Haver was powerful. Clark is convinced Haver is a monster who forced Becky to kill herself in order to increase Clark's chances for survive. While Haver think of himself as a humane person, who really wants what's best for the tribute's family and friends. His is an interesting character. Hopefully we will see more of him in the future?

“I know.” Clark hung his head. “I’ll never do that again … not ever. Not for any reason. Not to anyone.”
Why do I get the feeling that this is comment is going to come back to haunt him?

Clark only nodded, unable to speak past the lump in his throat. Without another word, he opened the door to his room and stepped inside, quietly closing and locking it behind him.
Where does this young man go from here?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard