Print Thread
#97985 11/09/13 05:26 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 12:07 PM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#97986 11/09/13 07:24 PM
Blogger
Blogger
She's not reall dead yet! Right?! Please tell me she's not really dead. Clark wouldn't have been able to actually kill her even like that. Will he get the chance to try to bring her back? Consequences if he does?

Since not everyone has read the HG trilogy I don't want to speculate to much. There are so many directions things can go from here.

#97987 11/10/13 10:18 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Wow. Depressing. But I kind of expected it would be.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#97988 11/10/13 04:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have to hope that Lois isn't really dead, either. We know that canon Clark froze canon Lois and things worked out.

Nice job in having Clark hide his abilities.

But can he rescue Lois's body?

WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?

#97989 11/11/13 01:01 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
In a world where everyone is monitored even if he can revive (of course he can) how do you create a new identity for her.

#97990 11/11/13 02:17 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
My bet is on Sam reviving her -- he is the freaky illicit doctor type, and her body will be returned to him. (I'm going on the assumption that she'll be revived, because I don't want to think about the alternative!)

#97991 11/11/13 04:17 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
As quickly as he could, Clark cauterized the remaining bite, then reached for the antibiotic ointment. As he started to dab it on the burns, he stared in disbelief.

The cauterized bites were cracking open, the blood flowing more freely than ever. All he had done was cause Lois more pain.
Whoa, sadistic.

I was afraid that Lois's death would be inevitable considering the requirements of the competition.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#97992 11/11/13 11:52 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Brilliantly written!

In the early morning rays of sunshine, a hovercraft was approaching. It was almost invisible because of the artificial fog that surrounded it. The impeller blades that were used to keep it up created small cyclones over the surface of the lake, drawing up water and turning it into a mist that swirled up and around the hovercraft, similar to the mist found at the bottom of a waterfall. The early morning sun was turned into rainbows around the craft for a brief time before the temperature turned it into snow. When the craft approached the shore, it was accompanied by a miniature blizzard as well as a mist. When the craft landed and the impellers spun down, the mist settled and immediately froze on the foliage as if an ice storm had just passed through, the ice glittering in the sunlight.
Nice visual, the small ice storm makes for the interesting mixture of nature and technology.

Mayson was startled and stopped struggling. “What do you mean, you killed her? You didn’t kill her! She hobbled back to us after your encounter with a broken collarbone. Her right arm was useless! Lumen killed her, even though she was his district partner. Lysander almost killed him for doing it — I think he liked Platinum. Lumen finally convinced Lysander that she was a liability with an arm she couldn’t use.”
Lumen was a definite monster, but than that's what the Capitol wants for entertainment ... monsters. At least poor Lois doesn't have to beat herself up with guilt over Platinum's death.

“Those rats … they were meant for you, Clark. They sounded so much like Becky when she coughed …”

“And their fur was the color of her hair.” Clark nodded. “The Gamemakers were getting back at me for trying to help her. Haver warned me about arena traps, but I never thought they’d use a dead tribute to try to punish a live one.”

“Psychological warfare,” Lois said quietly. “Some people in District 3 work on traps for the arenas. They aren’t just meant to kill or injure — they’re meant to terrorize tributes and keep them off balance. Nothing can be relied upon and nothing is safe, and even the dead can be used as a weapon.”
These rats were genetically engineered to remind Clark about Becky? confused

In that moment, he made up his mind. Lois wouldn’t die in agony like Mayson had, but the Capitol wouldn’t get to enjoy the moment, either. He pulled the poncho off of her shivering form, as though to make it easier to kill her, then tossed it with deliberate casualness over the camera, hiding them from view.

“I’m so sorry, Lois,” he whispered. He took a deep breath, then blew it out slowly, starting at her head and making his way down to her feet. Anyone who checked would think she had died of hypothermia.

The final cannon sounded.
Good solution. One that I suspect no one saw coming. But how will Lois survive until they meet again?

So far this has been the culmination of the games; Clark emerges as the victor but at a terrible cost to his youth and innocent.

Next week's installment Clark will be physically out of the arena. Now the real games begin.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#97993 11/12/13 01:35 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by Morgana:
These rats were genetically engineered to remind Clark about Becky? confused
Yep. The rats are muttations, genetically engineered creatures used as weapons, both physically and psychologically. In the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy, a pack of wolf-life creatures are sent after the remaining tributes--creatures that have been engineered to look like the dead tributes, showing that the Capitol can genetically engineer things very quickly (some of the tributes were less than 24 hours dead at that point). Therefore, 11 days to engineer rats that resemble a tribute would be plenty of time. (This also fits in with L&C canon, where clones are made very quickly.)

Now, for the big question--is Lois really dead? The answer: I'm not telling. Clark thinks she's dead, and he thinks that he killed her. Whether he's correct in his assessment or not remains to be seen. He was stuck with two equally horrific choices--watch her bleed to death slowly and in agony, all the while knowing that the Capitol finds this very entertaining, or kill her quickly and put her out of her misery, which goes against everything he believes in. He chooses what he believes to be the lesser of two evils, while accidentally-on-purpose denying the Capitol their entertainment. So, no, Clark is not going to try to rescue Lois. There's no point in rescuing the dead.

As far as freezing her goes, he revived her in the show, but it is possible for someone with severe hypothermia to survive without deliberate intervention--possible, but rare. (This is something that my Titanic-fanfic-writing friends and I have been over many times.) The question, of course, is whether or not the tracker was fooled into communicating Lois's death. Evil person that I am, I'm just going to make you keep reading to find out the answer. devil

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#97994 11/12/13 03:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The cannon sounded. How can there be a question of whether the tracker was fooled? Are the cannons controlled manually, and not by the trackers? Or is the tracker something else?

#97995 11/12/13 04:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
H Amy,

The tracker is an electronic device that was inserted under the skin of each tribute's forearm as they boarded the hovercraft to go to the arena. It tracks location and physiological condition. If body function falls below a preset set of norms the signal it sends back indicates that the tribute is physiologicaly 'dead'. Those physiological markers were set by physicians based on what they predetermined the readings would be for one who is dead.

In most cases that is cut and dried. Heart stops = person is dead.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard