Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
They left before the reception and I didn't know about it until after the ceremony. My sister told me afterwards.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I don't see this situation as the same as what Clark did to Lois. Here Lois is being downright mean and nasty in sending Lana an invitation to an event she was expecting to be welcome to attend. Clark sent Lois deliberately bad information, but she should have thought twice before acting on it. I don't think Clark is innocent by any means, but I see these as two completely different levels of vindictiveness.

Framework4 said:
Who invites ex-s to the wedding?
Aside from cases where they were not really ex-s, such as the guy whose date fell for his roommate and the like.
Both my and my husband's exes were invited to our wedding reception. I think they arrived together, but I doubt it could have been called a date. They were still sort of friends of ours, though we didn't get along with either of them nearly as well as we did before any of us dated each other. I don't think that it's across-the-board unacceptable for an ex to be invited. It depends on how the breakup went and what the current relationship is like.

We don't have much info on cannon-Clark's relationship with Lana. Most L&C fans seem to paint Lana as a witch based on alt-Lana, but I've read enough comics with Lana in them where she's still Clark's friend, or they managed to reestablish their friendship a few years after the breakup, so I don't see her as necessarily a villain. If Lana is as awful as she's painted to be, then Clark should not have invited her. I'm not sure why he would have even been in contact with her. If he and Lana managed to still be friends and kept in contact enough for him to invite her voluntarily, then Lois should have been gracious enough to accept that and let her come.

I can enjoy this short on a purely comedic level, but it raises so many questions and really makes Lois look like a beast. I'd like to see a story that sets up some situation where Lois sending Lana to the sewage reclamation facility is actually an acceptable response. Maybe Lana was stalking them or something? Or maybe Lana wasn't invited, but they were afraid that she'd crash the party rather spectacularly, so they made sure the wrong info was leaked to her?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
We don't have much info on cannon-Clark's relationship with Lana. Most L&C fans seem to paint Lana as a witch based on alt-Lana, but I've read enough comics with Lana in them where she's still Clark's friend, or they managed to reestablish their friendship a few years after the breakup, so I don't see her as necessarily a villain. If Lana is as awful as she's painted to be, then Clark should not have invited her. I'm not sure why he would have even been in contact with her. If he and Lana managed to still be friends and kept in contact enough for him to invite her voluntarily, then Lois should have been gracious enough to accept that and let her come.
From Tempus Anyone? (very beginning scene), canon Clark describes Lana as the following:

CLARK: Funny you should mention that. I ran into an old friend last night.
So, it sounds like he just 'bumped' into her, not that they've been close friends or in contact.

The rest of the conversation about Lana, goes as follows:
LOIS: So happy she'd like to come to the wedding.

CLARK: How'd you know?

LOIS: And how'd she take it?

CLARK: Take what?

LOIS: When you said, no.

CLARK: Ummm. Hm.

LOIS: Clark.

CLARK: Well, you have to know Lana...

LOIS: No, no, I don't, interestingly enough.

CLARK: She's kind of... insistent; just steamrolls through things, so it's not like I actually said she could come, she just sort of... said... she could... come.

LOIS: Let me get this straight. You're Superman. And your high school girlfriend can push you around.
So, technically, Lana invited herself; Clark didn't invite her. In her defense, super-wimpo there didn't say "no" either.

I don't think LnC's Lana fits the nice Lana stereotype from the comics or Superman: The Movie (III specifically) films.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
True--Clark giving Lois faulty info, which she chose to follow up on, which led her to the Sewage Rec. Facility, is different than Lana getting an invite with that address...Why would she NOT think that the address for the wedding is correct? (meanwhile Lois knows info/leads aren't always great, which then leads her to the sewage facility).

I am one of those that probably lumps Canon Lana and Alt. Lana together as about the same character....and basically the only reason is from the scene mentioned above--she came across as a bit much--as did Alt. Lana in TA. There isn't a lot to go on from what L&C discuss, but I just sorta got a feeling of '"I don't like that woman" out of it (Lois' take on Mrs. Cox in HOL, I believe--love that line blush ....so honest!)...

Random last thought....we actually invited my ex to our wedding. I think it totally depends on the previous relationship and the current relationship. I broke up with the ex (of three plus years) b/c of different future 'wants'--it was a healthy breakup w/o any hostility and we decided to be friends. A few years later I met my (future) husband, told him on our first date about the friendship, they met up multiple times and we all double dated/etc. By the time the wedding rolled around, it wasn't much of a conversation to have--BUT we did have the conversation as we were making out our guest list...My husband was great about the friendship with the ex b/c he knew he had nothing to worry about--and he's a pretty wonderful guy blush

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
Top Banana
As far as an ex coming to a wedding goes...it depends on the situation. I was best woman at an ex-boyfriend's wedding (we split up when he came out of the closet). We had stayed friends over the years, and I was happy when he found Mr. Right.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Depending on how the break-up went it is possible to have an ex at a wedding. It shows a very special level of maturity on the part of both individuals.

Clark had reached that level of maturity, he was/is completely secure in his relationship with Lois. Whereas Lana heard about his upcoming nupitals and *pushed* to be invited. Who knows what havoc she might have caused if she did show up? Also, most of the time people like that bring along a 'date' to show the ex someone loves them. Something I am surprised she did not do here. If she had, no doubt Ellen would have been right to send Lana to the sewage plant! smile1

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by LMA:
Great story! And I didn't catch on that it would be the Sewage Reclamation facility till the end either...great way to end it--definitely had me party
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the ending was a surprise to you, and I'm glad you had fun reading the story.

It was probably--no, make that obviously-- pretty rude of Lois to address Lana's invite to the sewage facility--and to do it behind Clark's back isn't great either--but...I was still happy she did so smile . You don't just invite yourself to someone's wedding (especially your ex's)--and she would have known that Clark was too polite to say 'no'.
You pretty much summed up my own thoughts on the matter here. Neither Lois nor Lana was in the right. Lois shouldn't have sent out a fake invitation, but Lana shouldn't have invited herself to Clark's wedding, either.

I don't see this situation as the same as what Clark did to Lois. Here Lois is being downright mean and nasty in sending Lana an invitation to an event she was expecting to be welcome to attend. Clark sent Lois deliberately bad information, but she should have thought twice before acting on it. I don't think Clark is innocent by any means, but I see these as two completely different levels of vindictiveness.
I don't believe the situations are identical, but I believe that Lois would be unlikely to see the difference. I think if Clark were to tell her she'd done something wrong, she'd likely immediately respond by reminding him of the fact that he once did the same thing to her.

You raise a few interesting points here. I don't think how Lana's been portrayed in the comics necessarily needs to be taken into consideration when writing fanfic since what was on the show didn't always line up with the comics. What I think is more important is portraying her in a way that fits into how the show portrayed her. Like you said, the show never gave us too much information to go on about Lana's personality, and I think that that is what makes it easy for fanfic writers to do as they please with her character. Personally, I don't see a problem with a writer either choosing to portray her as 'a witch' or as a good friend so long as it is done well.

I can enjoy this short on a purely comedic level, but it raises so many questions and really makes Lois look like a beast. I'd like to see a story that sets up some situation where Lois sending Lana to the sewage reclamation facility is actually an acceptable response. Maybe Lana was stalking them or something? Or maybe Lana wasn't invited, but they were afraid that she'd crash the party rather spectacularly, so they made sure the wrong info was leaked to her?
I'm glad you could enjoy the story on a purely comedic level. That was certainly my intent when writing it, so I feel as if I've accomplished my goal so long as most people found it to be funny.

I will admit that Lois was mean in this story, but I will also say that I think describing her as a beast might be going a little too far. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, but from my perspective, I saw both Lois and Lana as being in the wrong. Maybe it was Lois who was more wrong or maybe Lana was more wrong. That's debatable. However, based on the quotes Virginia provided, I do believe that Lana invited herself where she wasn't wanted, so I don't see her as too much of a victim.

Anyways, I do want to thank you for the feedback. It was very much appreciated.

As for the discussion as to whether or not it is OK to invite an ex to a wedding, I agree with those who said that it depends on the situation. As long as all parties involved are fine with it, I see nothing wrong with it.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Lois_Lane_Fan said:
I don't think how Lana's been portrayed in the comics necessarily needs to be taken into consideration when writing fanfic since what was on the show didn't always line up with the comics.
You're right, of course, the show didn't match the comics as far as Lana is concerned, and fanfic can go any way the author wants. (That's the fun of it, right?) The comics I've read influence the way I see the character, though. I tend to think of her the other ways I've seen her portrayed rather than the way she appears on L&C. This makes me more sympathetic to Lana, I think, than most L&C fans.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Lois_Lane_Fan said:
I don't think how Lana's been portrayed in the comics necessarily needs to be taken into consideration when writing fanfic since what was on the show didn't always line up with the comics.
You're right, of course, the show didn't match the comics as far as Lana is concerned, and fanfic can go any way the author wants. (That's the fun of it, right?) The comics I've read influence the way I see the character, though. I tend to think of her the other ways I've seen her portrayed rather than the way she appears on L&C. This makes me more sympathetic to Lana, I think, than most L&C fans.
I completely agree that fanfic going any way the writer wants is part of the fun.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Fan!
Ex-Girlfriends
Hmm…

Note: This story assumes that Lois and Clark got married in season three instead of season four and that they weren’t interrupted by frog-eating clones or anything else.
Ooooh! Directly on to the Curse? wink

“I can’t believe Lana didn’t show up. She seemed so excited when I talked to her on the phone.”
Ooooh!

Lois continued to giggle. “Of course I did. It’s just that Lana got a special invitation.”
Oh?

“Well, let’s just say that when men invite their ex-girlfriends to their weddings, sometimes future wives have to get creative.”
Now now, Lo-is!

“I’ve explained it to you a thousand times,” he said, trying to sound as calm as possible, but still sounding annoyed. “There is no wedding going on here today.”
So, where is she?

Lana tapped her foot impatiently and swatted at a mosquito that had landed on her shoulder.
[Linked Image]

“Lady, I keep trying to tell you,” the security guard replied. “This is the Metropolis Sewage Reclamation Facility. We don’t hold weddings here. Nobody in their right mind would even want to have their wedding here.”
Yes, but what if someone *did* organize a wedding at this illustrious location? I hear it will become a famously romantic spot in about 200 years down the road – the place where Superman first played a practical joke on his future wife.
LOIS: First? What do you mean by *first*?

Lana rolled her eyes in disbelief. “Do I have to speak to your manager?”
She is quite persistent, that one. Maybe it *is* a good thing she didn’t get invited to the Honeymoon.

Fun vigi!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Yes, but what if someone *did* organize a wedding at this illustrious location? I hear it will become a famously romantic spot in about 200 years down the road – the place where Superman first played a practical joke on his future wife.
LOIS: First? What do you mean by *first*?
rotflol Thanks for the feedback, Michael. I'm glad you enjoyed the short story.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard