Print Thread
#97596 10/12/13 08:46 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 11:19 AM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#97597 10/12/13 09:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fantastic update as always. I'm glad that Clark has his powers back. I loved the feather fight between Clark and Lois.

I felt particularly sad at the final paragraph and I could really feel that Clark and Lois felt sad too.

More soon please.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#97598 10/13/13 04:13 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Good chapter. Lots of action and exposition, both well-placed. And I think the cougar will have an impact on the outcome of the Games, even if all it does is reveal some of Clark's abilities.

The explanation of why the Games are allowed to continue was very informative. And it was perfectly placed, too. Any earlier and it would have slowed down the story by presenting the information as a data dump, but by placing it here, in the middle of the actual Games while Clark was waiting for Lois to wake up, it felt quite natural. It's completely reasonable for him to think about such things at such a quiet time.

You've also explained to us why Clark is so reluctant to reveal himself and resist the government. His hesitation is perfectly reasonable, especially for an 18-year-old farm boy. I wonder if Lois has similar doubts, reasonings, and what-ifs running around in her mind? Maybe if they talked about it - nah.

I've not seen the movie or read the books, so what I know of the Hunger Games trilogy is either hearsay from others or picked up from the movie trailers - or from this very good story. If Clark is going to make a difference in his society, he's going to have to take a huge and irrevocable step by revealing himself and forcing the authorities to make some hard decisions.

Of course, doing so will make someone think of the tribute Lois took out with her "dance moves" and how that girl was in the middle of clobbering Clark before Lois saved him. Someone will figure out that the dead girl had something which negated Clark's advantages, and then we'll see some fur fly for sure.

Excellent story, Annie. I suspected it would be good from the first, but it's even better than I hoped it would be. You've got personal interaction between Clark and Lois, tyrannical government structure, and serious political action going on, not to mention a bubbling, nascent resistance movement. That movement is totally unorganized now, and since the despots control the lines of communication, the different cells don't know about each other, even those in the same districts. But I get the impression that all the movement lacks is a leader who can unite them and inspire them to take down the despots.

I don't know that Clark is that leader. But I do suspect that Lois and Clark together could be that leader figure.

Looking forward to the next exciting installment! No telling how long this one will entertain and inspire us, since this is just number ten of whatever.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#97599 10/13/13 01:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yup, in total agreement with Terry Leatherwood; this is a very thought provoking segment, it gives us a window into Clark's mind and an overview of Panem as a culture. Well done!

It hurts to think of Clark's untapped potential as a writer.

He’d had plenty of time to think while keeping watch. The shifting patterns of the stars — sometimes resembling actual constellations, other times forming a variety of distinct shapes that left no doubt that they weren’t natural — had reminded Clark of how helpless he was against the Capitol. Once his strange abilities returned, he could easily take care of himself, even if he couldn’t escape from the arena. He could easily hunt down and kill every remaining tribute — it wouldn’t take more than a few minutes, at most. Then, when he was declared victor and the hovercraft came to take him back to the Capitol, he could destroy it and fly away into the wilderness. No one could stop him.
A culture which destroys it young or 'seed corn' will ultimately destroy itself.

Clark has a great deal of thinking to do. He has to find a way out of the force field. Actually he needs to start thinking 'outside of the box' and discover a method of breaching the force field. Has he thought about tunneling under the shield?

“I want to help,” Lois told him. “I learned to pluck the feathers, so I can learn to cook it, too.” She glared at Clark when he still looked skeptical.
This isn't Lois actually cooking meat over an open fire, but its a step in the right direction. Thanks!

“I hope you do go home,” Clark said, stopping when Lois looked at him uncomfortably. “What?”

“Clark, if I go home — it means that you won’t. Not alive, anyway.”

They fell silent after that, realizing the truth of Lois’s words. No matter how good a team they made, only one of them could survive the Hunger Games.
Lois and Clark are drawing closer together and it hurts to know the terrible future that is in store for either one or both of them. Excellent way to end this part. I await the next installment with eager anticipation. wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#97600 10/13/13 04:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The scary part is that so much of what you have written is already here in real life.

Well done. Chilling, but well done.

#97601 10/14/13 07:40 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The history of Panem was very informative. For somebody like me that knew nothing about the Hunger Games it was very helpful. But at the same time it shows a ghastly reality. The system is omnipotent and makes people feel subdued and helpless. help

Hope there's a way to save not just Lois and Clark, but this society as a whole. grovel

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard