Clark and Lois – Two Universes - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 7 22/32
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

This particular story takes place after Lois and Clarks.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ “denotes telepathic communication”/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

They only had to wait a few minutes for Luthor to show up. When he did he sneered at Clark and looked adoringly at Lois. He made motions to the guard asking for writing materials which he fetched for him. While they had been waiting they had decided that Lois would take the lead.

While they were waiting for the writing materials to be delivered Lois picked up the phone. Luthor picked up the one on his side and listened to what Lois had to say.

“Mr. Luthor, we would like to ask you just a couple of questions, if you don’t mind.”

With a wary expression he nodded his head.

Deciding to play the trump card right up front Lois said, “There is an individual that has been stalking me ever since you have been in here. I have confronted him and he claims that it is his right. He is your heir in all things and that includes me.”

There was a look of total mystification on Luthor’s face as she said this.

She continued, “I have a picture here. Could you tell me if this is your heir?”

Lois opened one of the pictures of Luckabee and asked, “Is this man related to you?”

His look of mystification didn’t change and neither did his heartbeat. He shook his head in the negative. Then he wrote – “I never saw him before.”

Lois took the picture down and looking at it, feigned having made a mistake, “Oh, I’m sorry. That was the wrong picture.” She picked up the one of Smythe and looked at it as if to confirm that she finally had the correct picture then she flipped it around and showed it to Luthor.

Immediately Luthor’s heart rate kicked into overdrive even though he maintained an outward calm. After a few seconds he managed to shake his head in the negative and held up what he had previously written.

Lois said, “Thank you. You’ve been most helpful.”

Luthor was looking daggers at Clark as they got up to leave.

He tapped on the window to get their attention and wrote furiously for a few seconds and then held up the missive, ”Lois will be mine and you, Kent, will be dead … soon.”

Clark picked up the phone and said, “I wouldn’t count on that. You’re going to be in here for a very long time.”

Because his jaws were wired shut he couldn’t properly smile and it came out more as a death’s head grin before they turned away.

And Now:

Chapter – 20 – Wedding Preparations and The Escape
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

After interviewing Luthor, Lois and Clark returned to Smallville. As soon as they walked into the living room Clark looked around. Sounds were coming from the kitchen so they moved in that direction. Martha was in the final stages of preparing iced tea and when she heard their footsteps she turned to greet them, “Hi! Who wants some ice tea?”

Lois replied, “That would be wonderful, I’ll have some.”

Clark added, “I’d never turn down your ice tea.”

Martha said, “Why don’t you go get your father? He’s out in the barn working on that old tractor.”

He said, “I’m on my way,” as he headed out the door.

As soon as the door was closed Martha turned to Lois and asked, “Now that he’s gone it’s time for some girl talk. His father is going to keep him there for a while helping with the tractor. How are things? I don’t know just how long it has been since we checked.”

Smiling because of the feeling of closeness the thought of girl talk gave her, Lois said, “It’s really confusing with all of this universe hopping, but it’s only been a couple of weeks. Everything is fine. I’ve been thinking about it and I think what we are going to do is spend a day or two here and one day there until we can really determine just how long this pregnancy will last, which will complicate things. I’m either going to have to take a leave of absence or be on ‘assignment’ so that a pregnant Lois isn’t seen in this universe. Would you mind if I worked from here?”

“Honey, I would love to have you here just as much and as long as you want to be here.”

With unshed tears in her eyes, Lois said, “Martha, I really love you! If I hadn’t had my mom, I’d have preferred you to any other.”

Martha placed her hand over Lois’s hand on the table and said, “I’m very happy that Clark was our son, but if we had had a daughter I would have wished her to be just like you and we are very happy that you are now our daughter in fact. Jonathan and I couldn’t love you more. We weren’t sure how things would be when Clark’s powers were transferred to you, but we haven’t been disappointed. You’ve taken the super mantle and done honor to it and his memory. Now, you are a perfect couple, soon to be a trio. I still can’t get over it. A grandchild, you’re giving us a grandchild, a super grandchild, in more ways than one.”

Lois apparently had been giving this some thought because her reply was immediate. “I’m still wondering how that will work out. Will he be super as soon as he’s born or will his powers come on gradually? Will I have to deal with a flying infant or will he be like every other child until he’s a teen?”

Martha’s eyes lit up and there was a distinct twinkle in them and in a teasing tone she asked, “Are you giving me a hint? Is it going to be a boy?”

Lois laughed and said, “No, we don’t know. We want it to be a surprise. I was speaking in the generic sense. Saying he or him is just better than saying it.”

Still with a twinkle in her eyes, Martha replied, “Okay, I understand, but you can’t blame me for trying. Will *he* be super immediately? Well, we don’t know. We have absolutely no way *to* know. When we found Clark’s ship with him inside, he was sound asleep. When we opened the canopy he woke up quite quickly. We didn’t know anything about Krypton until Clark found the globe. We still don’t know a whole lot. We figured that Clark had come from a wooded planet because of the pine like odor that escaped from the ship when we opened it. We don’t have any idea how long he was asleep, but he was very hungry when he woke up and he started crying. We saw something that looked like a timer on the control panel. I forget what the exact figure was but it read something like 30. We don’t know if it was a measure of minutes, hours, days, months or years. If he wasn’t just sleeping, but had been put into some kind of coma it could have been any of them. By his appearance we figured that Clark was only a few months old when we found him and he didn’t start to develop his powers until he was about ten years old. Now, you need to keep in mind that he had come from a planet with a red sun and high gravity. He had never been under a yellow sun before. Right from the start we thought he was stronger than other children his age, but we didn’t really think that much of it until his other powers started to manifest. The difference is that *your* child is developing under a yellow sun with an already superpowered mother and father. Anything could happen.”

“But, I started out as Earth human.”

“When you were hit with that laser, your physiology was changed and from that moment on, all bets were off. You became a superpowered Kryptonian just like you had arrived at the same time Clark did. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

Just then, Clark and Jonathan walked in and Martha abruptly stopped talking.

Clark had been talking with Jonathan and hadn’t been listening to the women. He knew that they were talking, so when they stopped suddenly he got suspicious and asked, “Talking about me behind my back? I wondered why dad asked me to help with the tractor. It wasn’t anything he needed me for.”

Martha started to laugh and said, “Look who has a guilty conscience. What would we be saying behind your back that we couldn’t say in front of you?” Martha gave Lois a wink.

Lois played along. She stood and crossing to Clark put her arms around him and said, “Besides, what could we say that was so bad? After all, aren’t you just the perfect husband?”

Clark was blushing at this praise and said, “I’m *not* perfect! Far from it, but I do try.”

Lois floated up high enough to kiss his cheek without tiptoeing to do it and said, “Did you say you try or that you are trying at times?”

“Aw, come on Lois, you know what I mean.”

Lois started laughing harder and finally said, “Yes, you do try your best. You see Martha; I told you he’s the best. He must take after Jonathan.”

Jonathan started laughing at that one. He looked at Clark and said, “She’s got you there.”

Clark, with a downcast expression said, “I wish I had actually had your influence. I only had my Dad for ten years. Now, I have him back and I couldn’t be happier.”

Lois challenged, “Oh? Couldn’t be happier now that you have your parents? What about me? What am I … meat loaf?”

He was growing red in the face as he replied, “Awwwwwwww , you know what I mean. I’m happy to have my entire family.”

Lois, Martha and Jonathan all started laughing at his discomfiture and Martha said, “We know what you mean Sweetie. We just couldn’t pass up the chance to tease you a little. Now, how about that ice tea?”

They all sat at the table drinking tea and talking until it was time for Lois and Clark to return to the other universe.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 - Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was nearing the time for the triple wedding. Each weekend they were all flying out to Smallville. Since Lana had introduced Rachel to Lois and Lucy she had become part of the ‘inner circle’ already being a friend of Lana’s, forming a fast friendship with both Lois and Lucy. The three girls had all asked Rachel to be part of the wedding party and she had accepted. Lois had relinquished her position of Matron of Honor to her and Rachel would be Matron of Honor for all three girls, preceding them down the aisle.

Even though he was a little older than the traditional age for it, they had talked Denny into being a ring bearer and had even made arrangements for his tux.

Lois had an idea, “Clark, what do you think about the idea of a flower girl?”

Instantly picking up on where Lois was going with this he said, “I think it would be a terrific idea. Next time we go over we can talk with Phoebe.”

When Phoebe found out that Carrie would be in the wedding party for friends of Lois and Clark she insisted on paying for her dress.

In the underground bunker inhabited by Smythe and Luckabee, Smythe was sitting in an easy chair listening to Cosi Fan Tutti.

Luckabee asked, “What is that? I don’t recognize it.”

“It’s an opera by Mozart, a very rare opera. Loosely translated the title is ‘All Women Do It.’ At the time he wrote it the feeling was that it was too risqué even for that time. I was thinking about the lovely Ms. Lane. After finally seeing her, I can see why Mitzie took her in as one of her girls. If I wasn’t bent on taking my revenge on her, I would be tempted to let her live if she would agree to be with me.”

Luckabee looked at Smythe as if he had lost what little there was of his mind and asked, “Have you had a squiz in a mirror lately, mate? *I* might have a chance, but you?” He burst into laughter. “Besides, look at who her partner is. She *has* to be attracted to him, with all that he can do.”

With a tone of incredulity he replied, “Attracted to the *alien*? What woman in her right mind would be attracted to that … that *thing*? Ah, but if your supposition were correct, what if he were out of the way, or, in my power? Perhaps she would agree to be mine if the alternative was his death. Perhaps she would choose to be with me in order to save him. I think I will give her that option.”

Luckabee looked at him in disbelief. He said, “I might have a chance, given the same incentive, but you? You’ve gone nuts, mate. I don’t think that even that promise would be enough.”

Stung he retorted, “Oh, you don’t think I can be suave and sophisticated … charming?”

Luckabee replied, “It won’t matter how suave and sophisticated you are, mate as long as your face looks like it went through a meat grinder.”

Smythe had been getting angrier all the time Luckabee had been speaking. He barely kept his temper under control as he replied, “Some women are attracted to money and power, oftentimes the more beautiful and sometimes the more intelligent. Lois Lane combines the best of those qualities. There is one additional characteristic and that is the fact that I am human and *not* an alien.”

Luckabee replied, “I still think I’d have a better chance with her.”

Smythe laughed at this suggestion and replied, “You?? You don’t have anything! No money, no power, not even any brains! All you have is a pretty face!”

Lois and Clark started off by spending two days in Alt 2 for each day they spent in Alt 1 where they continued the background investigation on Luthor junior. Lucy’s efforts were finally starting to pay off.

Knowing the general area she started checking banks around the Sydney residence they had identified as Luckabee’s. She found a bank account that hadn’t amounted to much until shortly before his departure for America. Just prior to his departure there had been a $10,000 infusion. It was still sitting there. Tracking the source of the money put them on the trail of a numbered Swiss account. Lucy was busy tracking the transactions on that account.

Lois and Lucy were constantly together, most of the time in company with either Clark or James so even though there were unseen watchers they were not disturbed.

There were the inevitable shopping trips to find the perfect wedding gowns. When the watchers saw that they were together they would drop off and pick them up again later in hopes that Lois would be alone at some time. That being the case they were unaware that Lois and Lucy were both purchasing wedding gowns.

On the weekends the girls would fly out to Smallville and meet with Lana and Rachel. Frequently Lois brought Carrie with her, quickly becoming a favorite of all of them. They asked where Lois had met her and Lois told them the story of the fire rescue, not mentioning that it had occurred in the other universe. It was adequate that it had happened in Chicago.

After some time, Rachel commented, “Lois, Carrie looks enough like you and Lucy to be a younger sister or … daughter. Is there something you’re not telling us?”

Lois laughed and said, “No, every word is the truth. Come here, Carrie, dear. Please tell Miss Rachel your mommy’s name.”

“My mommy’s name is mommy and my name is Carrie, Carrie Harris.”

Rachel laughed and pointing at Lois asked, “Are you sure this isn’t your mommy?”

Carrie gave her a look of disbelief, “No, I’m sure, she’s not my mommy. That’s Miss Lois.”

Lois marveled at how things were working out. All of her life, to this point, she had been able to count her friends on the fingers of one hand and girl friends, well, they were non-existent. This was a new experience for her. She had always had Lucy, but now, she was really developing a close relationship with Lana, the woman that initially had blamed her for stealing Clark. Mayson was another one. Mayson started off blaming her for the same thing. Now that she was married to Dan they were forming close friendships. Rachel had never been Clark’s girlfriend, even though he had been the one to take her to the senior prom. That had been a favor for Billy. Billy and Rachel had been dating, but at the last minute had gotten sick and asked Clark, his best friend, who hadn’t been going to the affair, to stand in for him. Now, not only was Clark Billy’s best friend, but Rachel was becoming one of Lois’s best girlfriends. The cherry on the top of that sundae was Rachel and Billy asking Clark and Lois to be god parents for their soon to be born child.

Thinking about how her life had changed in so many ways since meeting Clark, both of them, but especially her super husband, she had a hard time recognizing the old Lois. Mad Dog Lane still showed up on occasion, but only on a story. Associating with Clark had worn off most of her sharp edges making her a much softer person. She honestly cared about people now. Thinking back on it she knew that she never would have wanted to take on the responsibility for a couple of young boys, trying to help make them responsible, contributing members of society. She looked out the window and saw Jack and Denny shooting some hoops in an area Clark had set up for them at the side of the barn with Carrie looking on, clapping each time one of the boys made the shot and couldn’t help but smile.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Lois and Clark were on one of their visits to the Kents in Smallville. Before lunch Clark had gone out to the barn with Jonathan to help him with a repair on his old tractor. Clark could only smile and sigh as he stood there looking at it. It was an old tractor that Jonathan insisted on using, but Clark suspected that among the many reasons that Jonathan didn’t invest in a newer model was the fact that he actually enjoyed tinkering with it to keep it running. It really had become his hobby and one that Martha allowed him to indulge in. It wasn’t a bad hobby. It kept him busy and around the house which was exactly where she liked him to be. Frequently Wayne Irig would come over to help which gave Jonathan an opportunity to spend some quality time with his old friend. They would spend hours tinkering and arguing, in a friendly manner, about the best way to tune it up or what spark plugs were best. Today, Jonathan had wanted to work on the rear differential and Clark was helping because Jonathan didn’t have a mechanics lift.

When Lois and Martha called them in for lunch the guys were talking and had their arms across each other’s shoulders as they walked to the house. Once they had cleaned up they all had lunch together and talked. When they finished Clark and Jonathan were about to head out to the barn again, but Martha put on the radio, tuning in a news station. Just as the guys were about to step out through the door, there was an announcement,
“The following is a special bulletin. News Flash! Dateline – Metropolis! Metropolis Prison announced today that they have had a prison break. One individual, helped by outside resources has escaped from the prison while in the exercise yard. Lex Luthor, in the prison post Indictment and pending trial has escaped.”

Clark immediately reversed course and all four moved into the living room where they turned on LNN in the hopes of getting more information. The information that they got from LNN was scanty at best. They would need to make some calls.

Using the phone at the farm they called Bill Henderson. It was time to capitalize on his knowledge.

When the phone was answered, “Bill? Clark Kent.”

“Hi, Clark. Where’s Lois?”

“Hi, Bill. I’m right here. We just heard the news. How’d it happen?”

“Oh, you heard about Luthor, huh? He must have had resources other than those that we seized. He also must have had more accomplices than those we rounded up. He was in the yard for exercise when a scuffle started which distracted the guards. While they were distracted a helicopter equipped with noise deadening stealth technology dropped in and picked him up. It happened so fast that the guards couldn’t respond quickly enough to prevent the escape. The chopper didn’t even land. It had a rope ladder dangling from the undercarriage. He just grabbed that and they lifted him away. It was as simple as that. They obviously had planned it down to the second. So, what have you guys been up to?”

Clark replied, “We’ve been taking some vacation time since we wrapped that story up, but, I’ll be there in a while to get the complete story for the paper. I think I’ll leave Lois here, undercover. She may just stay hidden until we have Luthor back in custody. Do you have anything more for us?”

“We don’t have a whole lot. This stunt really took the prison administration by surprise. We were still in the process of processing all of the documents we collected when Superman opened that vault for us. I’ll get you what I have and you can take it from there.”

“Thanks Bill. I appreciate it. By the way, we have been meaning to invite you over for dinner sometime. When would be a good time?”

“Oh, most any evening, how about this Friday?”

“Sounds good. We can arrange the details when I come in to get what you have on Luthor.”

“Okay, see you later.” They hung up the phones.

Clark turned to Lois and said, “This could be the perfect cover for you. You are going to stay undercover while Luthor is at large, possibly until after you deliver the baby,”

“Sounds like a plan. But, you’re the one he was after. You’ll be in danger.” Lois pointed out.

“I have a super edge, remember?”

“Yeah, until he produces some more Kryptonite.” Lois challenged.

“Why would he try to use Kryptonite on Clark Kent?”

Her concern was evident in her voice as she said, “He wasn’t using it on you before, but it was still there. If I hadn’t been there to prevent that thug from using a gun, you might not be here right now.”

“I know and I’ll be careful. At least we have found that the Kryptonite doesn’t affect our ability to communicate telepathically. If I feel the effects of Kryptonite I’ll call you immediately. You could hover out of sight and out of range of the Kryptonite and help me deal with it.”

“Just try to keep me away.”

In a teasing tone he said, “Trust me, I’m not going to do anything like not checking the depth before jumping in the water.”

“Ha, ha, ha, very funny. I learned my lesson, remember? Nigel’s statuette taught me a valuable lesson.”

“We need to call Perry and let him know what is happening.”

“He’s not going to like me hiding out.”

“I’m sure he’ll understand. We might as well take care of that right now.” Clark dialed.

“Daily Planet, Perry White.”

“Perry, Lois and Clark.”

“Well, you two. You still have some time on the books. Why are you calling? Is it about Luthor?”

Lois replied, “Well, now that you mention it, yes, it is. We just talked with Henderson. He’s giving us everything they have on him.”

“I knew I could count on you two. When can I expect you in?”

“Well, that’s the thing Perry. Clark doesn’t want me to come in. Luthor was trying to kill Clark but he’s obsessed with possessing me and Clark doesn’t want to take a chance on his succeeding in kidnapping me. We’ve decided that I’m going to stay in hiding. Clark will be working the investigation there in the city while I work remotely.”

“I guess that could work.”

“Listen Perry, a few days ago we interviewed Luthor in prison …”

Perry interrupted, “You what? I thought you guys were on vacation.”

Lois was laughing as she replied, “Well, I guess you know us. Never really off the clock. Yeah, we went to see Luthor in prison. At that time Luthor promised that he was going to kidnap me and he again threatened Clark’s life. There was absolutely no indication from him that he was planning a breakout. Well, other than that, of course.”

Clark continued, “It’s bad enough the he’s after me, but I don’t want to have to worry about Lois too. By me coming in we could draw him out of hiding. If he goes after me again we might be able to catch him … again. According to Bill, his resources should be rather limited. Now that we have the goods on him, since his hands are already dirty, he might decide to take a personal hand in whatever he cooks up. If he does, we’ll get him.”

“Okay, I guess you’re right. Clark, I’ll look for you. Lois, Darlin’, you stay where you are, wherever that is.”

“I’m in …”

Perry interrupted her, “Don’t say it Lois! I don’t want to know. Plus we don’t know if this line is tapped or not.”

“I guess you’re right Perry. We will keep it our secret. Clark will be in later.”

“Let’s just keep it that way, for the time being. See you later Clark.”

“See you Perry.” They hung up.

“Perry’s right. We need to keep where you are our little secret.”

Exasperation was evident in her tone of voice as she asked, “What is this? Everywhere I go, I’m a secret. Either Superwoman is a secret or where I’m located is a secret. I hate secrets and they keep being thrust upon me.”

“There’s another thing about this, if I show up later today and the line was bugged there is no way they would think of looking for you here. It’s too far away for me to get to Metropolis that quickly from here.”

Martha started to laugh and said, “Besides, you’re holding another surprise package, you know. That little bundle of joy.”

Protectively, Lois put her hands over her tummy and said, “Yeah, I guess I am and it’s going to remain a surprise until he or she sees the light of day, so there. That’s one surprise I’m happy with.”

Clark said, “I’m glad you have found a surprise that you are happy with,” he pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

A little later Clark flew to Metropolis to meet with Henderson, who gave him all of the reports that they had so far on Luthor.

Instead of flying directly back to Smallville, Clark made a stop at a particular apartment. He spent a good deal of time there before heading back to Smallville.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 02:16 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj