Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Chris, this was absolutely beautiful. Now you know why we're never going to let you get away with not writing. <g>

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wanted to wait to read your story until you'd posted both parts, Chris, but now i can't find the words to say how much this story moved me - such a strong feeling for place and so wonderful a character in Winnie. Just beautiful.

carol

Kerth
Kerth
Sooo wonderful!! smile

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was really lovely, Chris. Very atmospheric and well-described. It's just like Clark to make a friend and keep visiting every now and then, and it was sweet to see some of his dilemmas through Winnie's eyes. She's a great character. I love how she took the sight of Clark first floating, then changing into Superman, down on the beach. smile

Terrific story.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
I knew I was going to need tissues for this one! *sniffle*

There was so much about this story that I loved!! You have such wonderful turns of phrase, like, "Her cheeks were pink where they had been pinched by the cold" -- such a wonderful anthropomorphism.

Watching the progress of Winnie's life, and seeing her attitude toward her family and the life she has and is living, was just beautiful.
/me grabs another tissue

And seeing it come full circle with Jessi and little Winnie was perfect.

clap notworthy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank you, Rivka, for pointing out that Winifred is Winnie. That one slipped past me. smile

Clark had no more come from the sea than she had. He had come from the sky.
Such a lyrical turn of phrase you have, Chris! I've never been anywhere near Shetland and the only beaches I've visited have been on the Mediterranean, but this... ~happy sigh~ Lovely, lovely, lovely. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
thumbsup

Hazel already quoted my favourite line from this, but I also loved Winnie's observation of the lovers, both at a distance (from Clark's telling of the tales) and also close up as she watched them on the beach.

And the funeral scene and brief epilogue were just perfect. smile So... I guess Clark will realise that she'd figured out who he was? wink

MORE!!!! You better make sure you have several notebooks with you on your Scottish pilgrimage!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Chris, that was so beautifully written. Winnie became a full character with deep insight that comes with age. I could feel that biting cold and (from part 1) the sharp wind that blew Clark to that family. I also felt that I could see the harsh landscape.

You are an incredible story teller. It's nice that the Gift from Shetland was both one that went to the Superman Foundation and to us your readers.

Thank you.

gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful story. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I had a really nice cry over this one.

I loved seeing Clark Kent through Winnie's kind and wise eye. I liked the idea that Clark took Lois there, maybe just to show her a place that was special to him. And how he changed from boy to man, and how the story came full circle.

Snuffled into my keyboard and loved every beautiful word.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Top Banana
Top Banana
Such a sweet, moving story!

Boy..add this to so many others that make me shake my head in amazement at you wonderful, talented writers.

Beautifully done..

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was just beautiful. Everyone else has already pretty much said what I wanted to say, so just add my name to the long list of people who were totally blown away by this wonderful piece of writing.

Very well done!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
Chris -

This was so touching. Like I said in my feedback for Part 1, I think it is so much like Clark to develop a friendship with someone so much older than him and adopt her as sort of a surrogate grandmother. I loved how he took care of her through the years.

Yes, it did require the fetching of a tissue, but so worth it. Wonderful story. thumbsup

Thanks for sharing,
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Features Writer
Features Writer
Chris,
just caught up with both parts
beautiful story
merry

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Just read the two parts, Chris.

I have no words to say. It was beautiful, I really loved it. It... <sigh> well, you get the idea.

Good job thumbsup Keep writing!
See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Blogger
Blogger
I read the two parts together and I found it very moving. Lovely. thumbsup

I was wondering though. Do you think Clark would have introduced Lois to Winnie? Or was he otherwise engaged at the time? I was just wondering what your thoughts are.....

"Certainty of Death. Little chance of success.... What are we waiting for?"

Gimli - Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Rather belatedly, let me thank you all for the wonderful comments! You've quite made my last few days and made me feel very warm inside. laugh

Yes, Wendy, I think it is a fair bet that Clark realised that Winnie had worked out who he was. He's probably going nuts trying to work out what gave him away though!

Skullee: you raise an interesting question, one that a couple of people also asked me on IRC. The best answer I can come up with is that maybe Clark did try to see Winnie, but noticed that she was asleep. He and Lois then decided not to disturb her, and just settled for enjoying the moon.

Other explanations: Winnie knows about Lois (and Lois probably knows about Winnie) but they belong in different worlds. Maybe it didn't really occur to Clark to introduce them. I'm not sure that I like that as an answer, but...

The real answer, of course, is that I, as a writer, decided that I liked the way the story worked more when Lois and Winnie didn't meet. I did think about introducing them, but decided that it would detract from the climax.

Maybe it should have happened differently, but I'm happy with the decision I made. Hopefully, so are Clark, Winnie and Lois wink

Thank you all again.

Chris

Columnist
Columnist
Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to be so behind on this, like the 'coo's tail'.

Don't know if that's a saying in Shetland but it is in Dundee where Jessi went to live. wink

Chris, this was a lovely atmospheric story, and though I've never visited any of Scotland's islands, I've walked along a few mainland beaches that would fit the description, especially as far as the weather is concerned.

I've even slept in one of those 'cupboard' beds that Winnie used as a child. smile

Please give us more of your wonderfully creative writing.

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
[sniff]

Very touching and well written.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Chris

I've just read both parts of this.
They're beautifully written. smile1

Tricia cool

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard