Print Thread
#97517 10/05/13 05:27 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Questions? Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 11:17 AM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#97518 10/06/13 11:03 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm really enjoying this story. I haven't read The Hunger Games, but I'm familiar with the basics; now I find that I want to wait for this story to finish before reading the original.

#97519 10/07/13 04:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clark is trapped. No good. frown So far they have managed to avoid the other tributes, but with the decreasing number of competitors this is bound to change. help

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#97520 10/07/13 08:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was Lois who had come up with the idea to use their belts to secure themselves to the branches they were sitting on, and shortly thereafter, both battered, exhausted tributes had fallen asleep.
Smart. She has learned a thing or two about survival. Being so high off the ground, it is important to secure themselves to the tree branch. Between wild animals of the four-legged and two-legged kind this is good common sense. In Clark's case, should he return to his 'normal' state explaining why he's floating in mid-air would be impossible.

Lois took the knife from her belt and set about dividing the meat. As she hacked at it, she snapped at Clark, “I do know how to cook!”
Seriously, I wish everyone would stop leaning on this as a crutch! Give up the 'Lois is not a cook' rule. The joke has worn tissue thin! mad

“Claude and I were both working with my father on the prosthetics he designs — did you know that they can actually make a person stronger than they were before? But Claude wasn’t doing a very good job at writing up his project, so he stole mine. He tricked me and then stole my paper, so he got the top score and all the accolades while I got a failing grade. He was pressuring me into having sex and I just wasn’t sure I wanted to. He just kept pressuring me and pressuring me and finally I just ran to my room and locked the door. When I finally came out, he was gone, and so was my paper. Then that scum spread a rumor that I was frigid, so I got a reputation, too. And when I told my father what Claude had done, he just said that it wouldn’t have happened if I’d been born a boy like he wanted.”
Ouch! Her Dad was pretty cruel. Claude was again a real heel. But since when is Lois not strong enough to say "No"!

I also have to question how harsh Lois herself is in this part. She's glad Claude is not the victor because he would be insufferable, but in order for him to 'lose' he had to die at the hands of the Careers. Still I agree with her, don't promise to be a friend than turn around and kill the person. Scary.

The idea of District 3 disguising combat movement as dance moves is quite clever. Lois must have been first in her class.

Clark was an especially attractive target because of his high training score. It meant that he had strength and skills, unknown though they were to the other tributes, which made him a deadly threat. Eliminating him would, in the minds of his competitors, make them much safer.
Oh boy, if Clark doesn't regain his powers he will be a much easier target than either of them could possibly imagine! Bring on the sunlight!

When she finished with the rabbit hide strips, she threaded one each through the hole in the sticks and tied them into loops. She stuck the knife back in her belt and, taking a stick in each hand, demonstrated. The sticks became a blur of motion, describing figure eights intertwining in front and beside her. Clark could see that anyone or anything entering the perimeter created by these moving sticks would be in for a wallop.

Now armed with a weapon that she was intimately familiar with, and leaving the knife in her belt, they moved on.
So these are the escrima sticks mentioned earlier. I guess they will hurt but how? thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#97521 10/08/13 06:03 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Just thought I'd step in to explain.
Escrima or fighting sticks can be every bit as deadly as a baseball bat or as harmless as a switch. You can break bones or simply deliver a stinging slap.
I have taken some liberties in their construction for my own purposes. They do not usually have a wrist strap.
In the hands of an experienced practitioner they can be defensive or offensive.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#97522 10/08/13 04:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with the comments about that L&C won't be able to hide forever. Will all the other Tributes kill everyone else? It would break my heart if L&C had to kill. We know Superman doesn't do that.

#97523 10/08/13 05:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Io,

Lois has convinced herself that she killed Platinum and Clark believes that he failed Becky. They each are already bearing a load of guilt as a result.

kj
#97524 10/08/13 05:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This double post wasn't intentional. I blame it on my BBerry.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard