Clark and Lois – Two Universes - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 7 20/32
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

This particular story takes place after Lois and Clarks.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ “denotes telepathic communication”/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

The following weekend they all flew out to Smallville so that the girls could work on the weddings. Clark flew Lucy and James then Jack and Denny out in shifts. Then he went back for Lois who spent the last few miles in Clark’s arms.

Pete brought Lana over and then asked if Clark could come with him. They climbed into Pete’s car and he drove them to a house a couple of miles away. This was one of the many farms that were scattered around Smallville. When they exited the car the front door opened and a pregnant Rachel Harris Eck and Billy Eck came out. Clark was pleased to see both of these old friends.

Noting Rachel’s condition, Clark said, “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you guys! Congratulations. Your first right?”

Looking back at Rachel, Billy replied, “Yeah, Rachel had to turn over the office to her chief Deputy until she can get back.”

“I’m really happy for you. I’m looking forward to the day when we can have a child.” He said this knowing full well that they had a child on the way, but not wanting to let on.

Billy turned to Rachel and asked, “Could you bring out the lemonade and some glasses? We have to talk about some things.”

Rachel said, “Sure thing, guy talk, I get it.”

After Rachel brought out the drinks, Billy asked, “Would you like to spend some time with Lana and the other girls? It would be a good chance to meet Clark’s wife.”

Rachel thought for just a second and then said, “I think I will.” She went in and grabbed her purse and keys. As she came out she said, “I’ll see you guys later.” She got into the car and drove off.

Pete said, “Now we can talk freely. Clark, here’s the story. I was able to get Billy here and Charlie and a few of the other guys together for that little project that Monday.”

Billy added, “We gave the area between Schuster’s field and Wayne Irig’s farm a going over like you wouldn’t believe. We used a fine-toothed comb. We found a couple hundred of those rocks.”

Pete resumed, “We actually found more than we bargained for. We found some, they weren’t green but they had that same characteristic glow but they were red! We weren’t sure if they were the same problem or not so we decided to play it safe and treat them as dangerous.”

Billy said, “It took us four days to completely cover the area, but when we were finished we were pretty sure we had everything there was to find.”

Pete said, “That was the good news. The bad news is that a few days after we finished clearing the area a bunch of outsiders came in. They claimed to be a team of entomologists looking for a rare species of Corn Root Worm that could be very damaging to the local crops. They went to the sheriff’s office for permission to search the area and go on people’s property. Since this is a known pest, it made sense to give them permission so Rachel’s deputy gave it to them.”

Billy took up that narrative, “Fortunately, mine was the first farm they visited. They were fakes. I talked to one of them when they came on my farm. A couple of things gave them away. First, they didn’t have any sweep nets to collect samples. Second, they weren’t going through the fields, they were just covering ground. Third, when I asked him what was so special about this particular pest and how could I identify one if I saw it, the description he gave me was that of a Lady Beetle. If that guy was an Entomologist I’ll eat my hat, not the straw one either. I’m sure they were looking for those rocks. As soon as I was sure I called Pete and let him know.”

Peter took over again, “I called all of the gang and we took turns watching them. They actually got irritated at us when we stayed near them, but we know that they didn’t find anything. If they had, we would know about it.”

Clark said, “I don’t know what I did to deserve friends like you guys.”

Billy said, “Buddy, we were your friends before we knew what you could do. After we found out we all started to realize that some of the scrapes we had gotten ourselves into, it was you that got us out without saying a word about it. We started comparing notes and realized that you had been our guardian angel all along. If there’s anything we can do for you, we owe it to you.”

Clark was embarrassed and said, “Really, you guys don’t owe me anything. I’m just glad I was able to help out.”

Billy said, “Clark, I still remember when I was trapped under that tree and you lifted it off of me. We always thought that it was rotten or you had just had a burst of adrenaline or something. Now we know the truth. I, and most of us, owe you our lives, many times over. This is the least we could do for the guy that has done so much for us and never said anything or even asked for our thanks. Even if we didn’t, it’s what friends do for each other.”

And Now:

Chapter 18 - Poison
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 - Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Smythe was satisfied that the preparation of their underground lair was nearing completion and they would soon be moving, but in the mean time they were still in the penthouse of the Plaza.

Luckabee asked, “When do you start the next phase of *your* plan?”

Smythe answered, “Now that LNN is ours it is time to start the destruction of Superman. The current news director has been given explicit instructions as to how any news of Superman’s exploits is to be treated. Let’s see if there has been anything recently.” He picked up a remote control and turned on a TV which was already tuned to LNN.

The announcer was obviously reading from a teleprompter, “In recent weeks Superman hasn’t been very visible, if fact he seems to have been absent. A recent house fire claimed the entire residence. Fortunately for the family involved they were not in the house at the time. If they had been there is a great probability that all would have perished. Where was Superman? They lost everything, clothes, children’s favorite toys, pictures, computers, everything. It begins to appear that we can no longer count on our local superhero. Perhaps he had something better to do. Could it possibly be that he is being distracted by his new partner? Why does he have a partner anyhow? He was doing a good job until she showed up. Our sources confirm that she is a former employee of the Daily Planet, recently returned from an extended visit to Africa. Who will be the next to lose all of their possessions because Superman is being undependable?”

Smythe clicked the TV off at this point. He was smiling as he said, “There, the campaign has started.”

What Smythe did not see was the reaction of the people at LNN. The announcer, when they cut to a station break and commercial looked at his co-host and said, “What kind of drivel are they making us report, this is ridiculous! I’m sure there is a very good reason he wasn’t there. I hope this doesn’t keep up. I don’t know just how long I can continue to read this kind of crap.”

The co-host said, “I’d be careful if I were you. I understand that the new owner won’t take no for an answer. If you won’t read what he sends down, he’ll find someone that will.”

The host growled, “Let him! I’ll go back to the print media where I came from.”

The co-host was less than sympathetic as he said, “Yeah, right, you worked for the Star. Convince me that it isn’t almost as bad!”

“At least the Star was honest about the reporting. This is plain dishonest.”

Just then he had a ten second warning.

Later in the day Lois and Clark found out about what was being reported on LNN. Lois was, to say the very least, angry. LNN was attacking Superman and using her to do it.

Turning to Clark she said in a very indignant tone, “Unreliable? Something better to do? Distracted by his new partner? Okay, Clark, what were you doing when that fire happened?”

“I heard about that fire when I got back. I was dealing with that volcano in Washington State. The pressure had been building up and I drilled a hole to release the magma in a direction that would cause minimal damage. By releasing the pressure that way I prevented another Mt. St. Helen’s explosion.”

“That’s right! I was there watching you. I enjoy watching you flex those muscles, mmmmmm.” Lois had a dreamy expression as she said this. When she snapped out of it she said, “Okay, here’s the plan. We write up an article explaining where you were and why at the time of the fire. People can’t possibly expect you to be in two places at the same time.”

“I think that in this instance what we need is a hard hitting piece, so why don’t you write it up?”

Her ire having been raised by this injustice, as she was sitting down at her desk she said, “You bet I’ll write this up.” She brought up her word processor and started writing.

That evening there was an article, it wasn’t the headline piece, but it did appear above the fold.

“Superman Prevents Disaster
By Lois Lane

Recently it has been reported that Superman has been neglecting his perceived duties to the citizens of Metropolis. It is the opinion of this reporter that this is a rather inappropriate view. Superman may reside in and claim Metropolis as his home town, but his responsibilities are worldwide. We do enjoy the benefit of his presence in that he is more readily available to handle emergencies.

In the recent incident reported on LNN It is unfortunate that the dwelling and all of its contents were destroyed, however Superman was unavailable. Contrary to some speculation the reason he was not available was not a simple distraction. At the time of the fire, Superman was dealing with a volcano in Washington State which was threatening to blow its top a la Mount St. Helen’s. He was drilling a hole into the mountain to release the magma in an area that wouldn’t cause terrible destruction and also relieving the pressure thereby preventing the eruption/explosion which would have occurred within a matter of weeks. That eruption would have caused incalculable destruction and cost many lives.

Superman has super powers, but being in two places at the same time is not one of them.”

Thus started the war. On one side a campaign of disinformation and on the other side one of clarification and elucidation. Most of the time Lois’s hard hitting style, presenting the facts was used to rebut the aspersions, but occasionally Clark’s touchy feely style was the most appropriate.

Public opinion polls conducted by the Planet published on a weekly basis showed that Superman’s popularity, rather than decreasing was actually being enhanced. The general public for the most part only saw the headlines of the major events that the superhero participated in. As a result of this campaign the public was being made aware of many incidents which were never reported on or which because of Clark’s modesty were never reported in the full. Now the public was being brought up to date on all of Superman’s activities, not only on their behalf, but around the globe.

The number of stories that LNN put forward about Superman’s apparent unreliability at times bordered on the absurd. While in other cases they could have been true, but for the actual facts of the matter all of which were printed in the Daily Planet.

The polls being run by the Daily Planet broadened out and started asking the viewing public about their viewing habits.

Many of the respondents replied that they didn’t trust the new LNN like they had trusted ANN and they wished that it would return to its former management.

The ratings of the Planet gauged by sales had circulation going through the roof. Mr. Olsen was elated. He called the staff together while he stood on top of the ramp. “Listen up folks! Ever since this war was started by LNN we have had some really hard hitting responses to their accusations. The response has been outstanding! Our circulation numbers are through the roof. In the last couple of weeks I have had to order extra runs of each edition. We are thirty-three percent over our previous numbers. I just hope that this war continues for another month. There’s no telling how high our numbers can go. Great job people! Keep it up.”

After several weeks, it was abundantly apparent, even to those who didn’t want to see it, that the campaign to discredit Superman was a dismal failure.

Luckabee was still behind the bar where he had just downed another drink when it all finally got to him and he challenged, “What are we going to do now? Your plan to discredit Superman has come a gutser. No matter what we put on LNN, the Planet not only refutes what is said, but adds additional detail and sways the public opinion even further in his direction. We were better off before we started that lurk.”

Smythe didn’t even deign to open his eyes as he said, “To be sure, that campaign has been less effective than I would have liked. It may be time to end it. The more the Planet refutes our stories, the more LNN is made a laughing stock. Before too much longer no one will believe anything that they hear or see on it.”

“What is your next move then?”

Smythe calmly replied, “It may be time to lure Superman into a trap. One of the people living with him can be used as bait. I would prefer it if it were Lois Lane, because I still need to repay her for her part in ruining the brothel, but one of the others would do. Still we will try her first.”

"Like what?"

"Perhaps you should finally agree to the interview she has been requesting."

Luckabee could feel his throat constrict which gave his reply a choked sound, "Don’t be a galah! If she disappeared while here on an interview, that would make me suspect number one."

“You’re already suspect number one. One of my teams in Australia spotted them. They were checking up on you.”

“What??? When?”

“A few weeks ago.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“What good would telling you have done? It wasn’t important.”

“You didn’t think it was important enough? What if they find out about me?”

“Trust me, they already have. The thing is that you are unimportant in the grand scheme of things.”

“Unimportant?”

“What are they going to find out about you? That you were a petty criminal and there is no way you could have accumulated your apparent wealth. They will run themselves ragged trying to chase the funds. If they try to trace me they will find nothing. I even used a false passport for this trip and the name on it wasn’t Smythe. Another dead end. So you see, you are the only one in a jam and if you don’t follow my instructions exactly I’ll turn you over to them. Do you understand?”

“Yes, I understand, but do you understand that I know who you really are and I could tell them?”

With a tone full of menace, Smythe replied, “Trust me, you wouldn’t live long enough to tell anyone anything. You know that liquor you are so happy to consume? It has been treated with a chemical. Initially it poisoned you. Now it has a different chemical which prevents the poison from taking effect. Your life is in my hands, Luckabee. If you bail out, you’ll be cactus.”

Luckabee had just drained his glass and he looked at it and slowly placed it back on the bar. A stricken look was on his face. He choked out, “Poison?”

“Yes, poison and if you don’t get the antidote in time you will die or as you would say, cark it.”

“You bloody bastard.”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk casting aspersions on my parentage. I assure you my mother was married to Lex Luthor at the time of my birth which is more than I can say about your parents. Now get this and get it straight, your continued wellbeing depends on my giving you that antidote on a regular basis. Serve me well and I will give you the permanent antidote along with enough money to retire to the Gold Coast and live in luxury the rest of your life when this is all over. Do you understand?”

Deflated, Luckabee replied, “I understand,” in a subdued tone but he was thinking, <Just wait, yer mongrel! Mr. Lex Luthor Junior. I’ll get even, but not until I have that antidote.>

A few days later, Lois received a call, “Ms. Lane?” Lois didn’t recognize the voice.

“Yes, this is Lois Lane. How can I help you?”

“This is John Smythe, Mr. Luckabee’s valet and assistant. Mr. Luckabee received a request for some time for an interview. He has decided to make some time in his schedule to accommodate you. If you could be at the Plaza hotel, tomorrow at noon, you will have your interview.”

“Thank you, Mr. Smythe. I’ll put it on my calendar.”

“Thank you, Ms. Lane.”

Lois turned to Clark and said, “They bit. Tomorrow at noon I beard the lion in his den.”

Clark switched to telepathy, /”We are going to have to be extra careful. If he’s carrying Kryptonite it would expose you. I’ll be there before you and scan the area to make sure it is clear before you arrive.”/

/”I’ll need to show up by cab to make it look good.”/

“We can work on your questions tonight, after dinner.”

Just then they both heard sirens in the distance. Lois shouted to Lucy, “Lucy, Clark just heard a siren. We are going to the scene. See you later.”

“Right Sis. See you later.”

They headed for the stairwell. When they exited the roof door Superman was in his Suit and Lois was cradled in his arms. A short flight to Hobbs Bay brought them in sight of the fire. Clark landed with Lois where the fire chief was standing.

The chief acknowledged Superman as he asked, “Chief, is there any way I can help?”

The chief nodded and said, “I’d like you to start at the first floor and work your way up. My men will follow with hoses to make sure we don’t get a rekindle or a flash-over. Try to not destroy any evidence. We suspect arson and we need to be able to prove it.”

“Will do Chief. Are your men ready?

“My main attack pumper is in place and they are just finishing stretching the hose. They’re going to use the attack lines, the one and a halfs. They’ll be ready in a minute.”

Superman knew that one and a halfs were hoses one and a half inches in diameter and sprayed water at about 400 psi. Then he strode away and waited until the fire team was ready. There were two hoses and four men all in Nomex® bunker gear and airpaks. The team leader said, “Ready Superman. Lead the way.”

Superman said, “Watch out, the supporting structures have been weakened somewhat.”

The nozzleman replied, “Don’t worry about us, Superman. This is how we make our living. We know the dangers. We’ll be careful.”

The teams stayed close behind Superman. He used his supercold breath to snuff the fire as he went along. The firemen marveled at the effects of Superman’s supercold breath. Where a few seconds ago there had been roaring flames what moisture there was in the air was condensing on the now cold surfaces and turning, however briefly, to frost. The first team dropped off to monitor the first floor while team two continued upstairs behind Superman. They were hoping to avoid the use of the hoses as they wanted to leave the scene as undisturbed as possible. If there were accelerant residues, they needed to be able to collect and detect them. Team two stayed on the second floor and when team one was assured that there would be no rekindle they proceeded up to the second floor and followed Superman as he moved up to the third floor. This leapfrog progress was followed until the entire structure was flame free.

While the fire teams brought out their hoses Superman reported to the Chief. “The fire is out Chief. You are free to send in your inspection team. Although the fires were on multiple floors they appeared to be confined to specific rooms. We got to them before they had spread significantly. The distribution was unusual. The fires seemed to be on the walls of the rooms, excluding the wall with the door. It appears as though whoever started the fires allowed themselves an escape route through the door. These firebugs are smart. From the extent of the spread I would guess that they, whoever they are, started on the third floor and finished on the first. That way they were assured of not being trapped in their own fires.”

“Thank you Superman. Actually I didn’t expect to find evidence of arson, even though I know that is what this was. There have been a rash of fires like this. All of them have started unexpectedly. There is no evidence of accelerants which you would expect in arson. These fires just start. They start suddenly and spread quickly. I’m glad you got here so quickly. Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it Chief.” He turned to Lois and asked, “Did you get all that you need for the article?”

“One more thing, Chief, how many fires like this have there been and do you have any idea how they are being started?”

The Chief laughed and said, “That’s actually two questions, but that’s okay. There have been five fires that fall into this general category and I haven’t the slightest notion how they are being started. If I didn’t know better I’d say that Superman was starting them with his heat vision. That’s how mysterious these fires are.”

Lois looked at Superman and said, “I wonder if someone is trying to frame you.”

“That’s going to be difficult for them to do, because I am always somewhere else when they are started.”

Lois said, “Thank you Chief. We need to get back to the office so that I can write this up.”

Clark picked Lois up and they flew off while the chief looked on in envy, shaking his head in wonder that there was a woman, any woman, especially one as beautiful as Lois Lane, that could deal with the notoriety of being associated with Clark, Superman, Kent. She had to be one very special woman.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 02:17 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj