Eight
by Wanda Detroit

A very special thanks to Julie Stars and Stopquitdont, who BRed for me! Feedback is appreciated! Enjoy! (If you missed it, you may want to read Nine first!)

* * 8 * *

Everyone who was anyone was out in Central Square on New Year’s Eve, waiting for the ball to drop. Everyone except Lois Lane and Clark Kent.

They’d decided that making love was a far better way to ring in the New Year.

And they were right.

“If these few hours are any indication of what the new year is going to be like, then I’m looking forward to a *very* good year,” Lois murmured breathlessly, kissing her husband lightly on the neck.

Midnight came and went. Fireworks blasted outside, lighting the lovers’ faces with flashes of purple, red, and green. “Happy New Year,” Clark whispered to his wife. He pressed her close to him in a sweet embrace. Lois smiled.

Clark only stared at her; her big brown eyes gazing up at him expectantly. Her bare skin was soft and warm against his; she wore only her diamond necklace he’d made for her for Christmas. It rested against her chest, shining almost as radiantly as her eyes. Sometimes, he could hardly believe it was true. She was his. *His!*

And now their little family of two would be expanding. What a reason to celebrate! Clark slid his hand downward to rest on Lois’ stomach. He knew in his mind that she looked as slender as always, yet he could imagine the tiny life within her growing steadily each day. “Lois,” he whispered, “this baby is going to be the greatest thing that ever happened to us.” He kissed her softly on the top of her head, and when he drew back to look at her, she had averted her eyes, a serious expression on her face.

“A penny for your thoughts?” he asked softly.

“It’s just that... well, we thought that the last time, Clark,” Lois stammered, finally looking up at him. Her eyes were filling with tears. She quickly blinked them away.

“Lois...”

“A pregnancy isn’t a sure thing. We learned that the hard way, didn’t we? I thought--somehow--our baby would be different. I thought maybe with your super genes, it would survive anything.” Lois shuddered in his arms as if she’d just caught a draft. “One misstep was all it took, Clark. I was in a hurry, and I fell, and that was it.”

“Honey, don’t think about it that way--”

“I can’t help it. I’m just... scared, that’s all. I don’t know if I could bear to lose another baby.”

Clark held her tightly. “You won’t. I promise. What happened before... was an accident. The odds of something like that happening again are--”

“How can you make me a promise like that?” Lois interrupted abruptly. “You couldn’t save our baby the first time,” she cried out.

Clark ached when she said those words. He wished with all his heart that it wasn’t true, but he knew that the miscarriage was out of his control. He traced her jaw with his fingertips tenderly, and when he finally spoke, his voice was quiet yet firm.“Lois, I’m going to do eveything in my power to keep you and our baby safe. It might mean taking on some less dangerous stories in these upcoming months. That’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for our child, and hopefully you agree.”

“I do,” she whispered. “It doesn’t stop me from being terrified.”

“I know. I’m scared, too.” Clark kissed her softly. “At the same time, though,” he continued, “I’m more excited than I’ve ever been. I guess I don’t really know what to feel. I only hope I can be as good a father to this child as my dad has been to me.”

Lois stared at him, surprised by his concern. “Clark! You are the most loving human being on this planet! How can you say that? Of course you’re going to be a great dad.”

“You really think so?”

“Definitely. It’s *me* I’m worried about. Look at *my* role models! Besides, I never wanted to be anybody’s mother, until I met you.”

Clark kissed her softly on the forehead. “Lois, we are going to do this together, every step of the way. I have no doubt we’ll make great parents. No little baby in the world will be as loved as ours is.” Clark laced his fingers through Lois’, giving her hand a squeeze.

“What about *Superman*?” Lois whispered.

“What about him?”

“What if the baby inherits your powers? How are we going to deal with that? A flying baby! And what if the Kryptonian gestation period is vastly different that the human gestation? I could be pregnant for--*two years!*” Lois sank back against the pillows, groaning at the very thought of it.

Clark gave a light laugh. “Lois. One step at a time. Let’s just see how things progress. Remember, I didn’t start getting my powers until I was a teenager. It’s unlikely our baby will seem out-of-the-ordinary this early on. But if there’s something drastically different showing up regarding your health or the baby’s, I’m willing to tell... the secret.”

“No, Clark! You couldn’t!”

“I would if you or the baby is in danger. I mean, if something goes wrong, maybe we could get away with having one or two confidantes, like Dr. Klein or your father. I’m hoping it won’t come down to that, and you’ll have a seemingly normal pregnancy.” Clark smiled reassuringly. “I told you, I’m not going to let anything happen to you. The secret is not worth your life, or the baby’s. You have my word.”

Feeling overcome with emotion, Lois simply hugged him with all her might. His closeness was the best comfort she could hope for. At last she composed herself. She peered up at him wide-eyed. “Clark?”

“Yes, Lois?”

“Will you still love me when I’m as big as a whale?”

Clark laughed. “I’ll love you *even more*.”

Lois managed a smile. She reached up and ran her fingers through Clark’s tousled hair. “This is going to be one good-looking baby,” she laughed, studying her husband’s handsome features.

Clark smiled softly, losing his senses looking at his beautiful wife. “Yeah. Tell me about it.”

“Do you think we should make an appearance at the Planet’s New Year’s Party?” Lois inquired. “It’s almost one. It’s now or never.”

Clark smiled. “I can be ready in ten seconds. Literally.”

Lois rolled her eyes in response. “Well, if Mr. Faster-Than-A-Speeding-Bullet can wait a few extra minutes, I’ll be ready too.”

Clark was in and out of the shower in no time, and he dressed just as fast. Lois took a bit longer, but did not take her usual hour to get ready. Even though she’d rushed a bit, she still managed to take Clark’s breath away when she entered the room dressed in a slinky black dress, ready to go.

“Shall we, Beautiful?” Clark offered his wife his arm, which she gladly accepted. “I’m looking forward to showing you off tonight,” he teased.

“I see how it is,” she jabbed back. “Your little trophy wife.” She flashed him a dazzling smile as they departed for the party.

“Lois? Can I ask you something?” Clark questioned, when they were nearly there.

“Go ahead.”

“How do you feel about telling everyone about the baby? I mean, we haven’t even told our parents yet!”

Lois was thoughtful for a moment. “Can we tell them *after* the baby is born? I don’t think I could deal with my mother fussing over me for nine whole months.”

Clark chuckled softly.

“Actually,” Lois continued, “I was thinking that we might want to wait a while. Maybe by the third or forth month? That way, we’ll make sure everything is going well, and that the baby will be okay.”

“It’s going to be so hard to not say anything!” Clark replied. “But I do agree with you, Lois.”

“Okay, it’s a deal. Mum’s the word.”

They appeared at the Daily Planet, drank a few toasts with friends (Lois discreetly sipped ginger ale from a champagne flute), and stayed long enough at the party to wish everyone a Happy New Year. At last, when they decided they’d made enough of an impression, they said their goodbyes and headed off.

Once they had left the building, Clark leaned close to his wife, and murmured into her ear. “Want to go flying?”

Lois beamed. “Definitely!”

As soon as he was able, Clark hid in an alleyway and spun into his Superman suit. He gathered Lois into his arms, and up, up, up they went. The view of Metropolis was stunning, from a bird’s-eye-view. The moon was high, and the city was still aglow with celebration. Neither said a word for a long time; both were content to reflect on the new year to come. Lois nuzzled Clark’s neck lovingly while Clark carried his most precious cargo, his wife and child-to-be. It was going to be an incredible year...

**...The End?! Nope! Look for “Seven” in February! -W.D.**

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.