Clark and Lois – Two Universes - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 7 17/32
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

This particular story takes place after Lois and Clarks.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ “denotes telepathic communication”/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

Once in the office Clark made a sketch of the appearance of the tumor and on a plastic model of the brain indicated its location.

Doctor Nelson asked, “Do you mind if I bring in Doctor Ferguson?”

“Not at all. Go right ahead.”

He depressed a switch on an intercom and said, “Bill, do you have a minute? I’d like you to join in on this consultation.”

“Be right there, Ben.”

When Doctor Ferguson entered, Doctor Nelson introduced him, “Superman, uh, Clark Kent, this is Doctor Bill Ferguson.” Turning to Dr. Ferguson he said, “Bill, Clark has brought us quite a problem.” Dr. Nelson proceeded to explain the situation and showed him the drawings as they conferred.

The two doctors discussed the information and after thoroughly digesting the information turned to Clark.

Doctor Nelson gave the answer they had come up with. “The type and location of this tumor, indeed makes it inoperable. In order to reach it we would have to go through critical structures.”

“What about the possibility of radiation?”

“For a tumor of this size, the amount of radiation needed would cause the death of a six year old child.”

“What if non-ionizing radiation were used?”

“What kind of radiation is non-ionizing?

“My x-ray vision. I believe that it is non-ionizing. Can it be tested?”

“A simple question – does it fog photographic film?”

“Yes, but only if I exert myself. Normally, it doesn’t.”

The two doctors looked at one another and then Doctor Ferguson asked, “How finely can you focus you x-ray vision?”

“When I combine it with my microscopic vision I can make out structures at or below the cellular level.”

Doctor Ferguson looked at Doctor Nelson and said, “It might just be possible.” Turning back he asked, “Would it necessitate burning a complete path, from the outside to the tumor, like a laser cut?”

“If I applied that much power, it probably would.”

Nelson said, “Less power would not accomplish the task.”

Clark was quiet for a time and then asked, “What if it were possible to use two beams, from opposite sides, each at a lower power, which at the point of intersection have the requisite power when combined?”

The doctors mulled this over for a few seconds.

Suddenly the silence was broken by the intercom, “Doctor Nelson, your next appointment is here.”

He reached across, hit a switch and said, “Tell Mr. Hendrix that I’ll be a few more minutes and please, ask him to wait.”

“Very good, doctor.” She clicked off.

“That might work, but the problem, Superman, is how can you be in two places at the same time?”

“Would that work?”

“If at the point of intersection the radiation intensity were sufficient to kill the tumor tissue without harming the surrounding structures, it just might work.”

“Thank you doctor, I think you have provided the answer I was looking for.” Superman stood and asked, “How much do I owe you?”

Doctor Nelson replied, “I personally consider this time well spent. This has been a very interesting exercise. As a result you have given me some ideas for a radical new approach to dealing with this type of tumor. I need to work with some radiologists and see if we can’t come up with a new device to do just what you have proposed. Two beams of lower level radiation which when applied from opposite directions can kill a tumor without injuring the patient because they only have the combined power to kill the tissue at the point of intersection. Well, Bill, it looks like we have some research ahead of us. We need to approach the NIH to see about a research grant.”

“A device like that could net us a Nobel!”

As the doctors were discussing all of the possibilities, Superman exited and flew back to Smallville.

And Now:

Chapter 15 – Operation
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

After he returned to Lois’s home universe he joined her, Carrie and the Kents in the living room. He said, “Well, that was a profitable trip. My theory was taken very seriously by a pair of neurologists; in fact they were discussing a Nobel Prize winning medical device that they plan to invent. We are going to need to work with a ‘local’ doctor, you know, one that knows about Superwoman, but I think we can do this.”

Lois looked down at Carrie who had moved over next to her on the couch again and said, “I hope so.” She looked up at Clark and continued, “Now that I’ve gotten to know Carrie, I really … I really want to help her. She reminds me so much of myself …”

“I understand. Me too. Much as I hate to do this, I think I need to take Carrie home to her mom so that she doesn’t start to think I have kidnapped her little girl.” Looking down at Carrie he said, “Well, Carrie, are you ready to go home?”

She looked up with her eyes wide and asked, “Can I come back and visit again?”

Clark asked, “Would you like that?”

“Oh, I’d like that very much!”

“If your mom says it’s okay, then yes, you can. It has to be up to your mom.”

“I’m gonna ask her as soon as I get back.” She hopped down off of the couch and immediately Scrappy was on his feet and at her side. She put her hand on his head and patted him. She looked at him and asked, “Do you want to come back here to visit?”

Almost as if he understood just what she was saying he yipped in reply.

They all laughed at this and Clark said, “Well, I guess that settles it. Scrappy approves of us.”

Clark moved to a clear area of the floor and started to spin. Carrie was watching, her eyes growing wide as the colors of the Suit began to appear.

She said, “Wow!”

Clark stopped and now, Superman stepped over to her and asked, “Ready to go home?”

Still in awe at his transformation all she could do was nod.

He took her hand and with Scrappy following he took her outside. The whole family followed and after he had picked her and Scrappy up, Lois came over and gave her a kiss on the cheek and said, “I hope your mom lets you visit us often.”

Carrie said, “I hope so too. Bye!” She waved to the Kents and Superman took to the air.

Two minutes later Superman was landing and putting Scrappy down on his feet. He scampered around Superman’s feet as he carried Carrie into the house.

Carrie’s mom welcomed them. She asked, “Well, Carrie, did you have a good time?”

“Oh, yes, Mom. The best time ever. I met Mr. Superman’s fa, friends and they’re awfully nice. Can I go visit with them again? Please?”

“Well, if you liked them that much, sure, you can visit with them again. Right now, it’s time for your medicine. It’s over there on that saucer.”

Obediently Carrie went over and took her pill. Phoebe watched as she did and then said, “Why don’t you go play for a bit, then we can go over some of your lessons.”

“Okay, Mom. Thanks, Mr. Superman. I really had a good time.”

“You’re welcome Carrie. I’ll be seeing you again soon.”

Carrie scampered off, Scrappy at her heels.

Superman said, “Mrs. Harris, while Carrie visited with my friends the Kents, I spoke with some doctors. I don’t want to get your hopes up, but, there might just be a chance that we can help Carrie.”

The play of emotions across her face was very evident. There was fear, and hope in various degrees. She said, cautiously, “Are you sure?”

“Mrs. Harris, I will say that this has never been tried before. When I proposed my idea to the doctors they became very excited at the possibilities. It will take some time and practice because Superwoman will be helping me. We will be working in concert to burn out the tumor without damaging the surrounding tissue. I am cautiously optimistic of success.”

“You sound just like all of the doctors we’ve dealt with. Please be honest with me. Can you help her?”

“I think we can and we sure are going to try. One of the people she visited with was Superwoman and she wants to help Carrie just as much as I do. Between the two of us, there isn’t much we can’t do and we really want to do this.”

“I believe you. Anything you need us to do just let me know. Her father and I are willing to do anything for Carrie. She’s our only child and … the only child we can have. Something happened in the delivery and … I can’t have any more children, so you see, she means everything to us. She’s all we have. We were each only children and our parents have all passed on.”

Superman contacted Doctor Bill Ferguson in this universe. It turned out that he had been in practice with Doctor Nelson, but that worthy had died in an auto accident the previous year. He outlined Carrie’s case the same way he had in the other universe. The doctor was very enthusiastic about what was proposed and he agreed to oversee the case.

In association with a medical school, Doctor Ferguson arranged for cadavers with brain lesions for Superman and Superwoman to practice on.

Many days and hours were spent practicing before the doctor declared that they were ready to attempt the procedure.

Once they started preparing for the surgery Lois and Clark flew to Chicago to visit with the Harris family.

Clark knocked on the door. When Phoebe answered it he introduced them, “Mrs. Harris?”

“Why, yes. I’m Mrs. Harris.”

“Good, we got the right address. Superman gave us this address. I’m Clark Kent and this is my wife Lois. We are friends of Carrie’s.”

“Oh yes, won’t you come in.” As they moved inside and Phoebe closed the door she continued, “Carrie has spoken of you often. She really enjoys the time she spends with you and your family.”

Lois said, “We have enjoyed our time with Carrie as well. We were so moved by your letter that we just had to meet her. She’s a special little girl. We’ve really grown to love her.”

Phoebe was looking very closely at Lois and finally said, “You know, Carrie looks like she could be your daughter, more than mine.” The reason for this statement was obvious. Carrie’s coloring was dark brunette while Phoebe was a redhead.

Lois sheepishly admitted, “Yeah, we had noticed the resemblance too. She looks just like me in my old pictures.”

Phoebe asked, “Won’t you come in and sit down?”

They all moved into the living room and sat. Warren came out of his study as they were getting settled and Phoebe performed the introductions.

Lois said, “Superman and Superwoman have been keeping us informed of the preparations for the surgery. We wanted you to know that we are here to support you also.”

“That is comforting. We have no extended family. It’s just the three of us. Carrie has spoken of your family a lot. Your parents, Mr. Kent, are almost like the grandparents she has never had.”

Clark gently said, “Please it’s Clark and Lois. She does seem to have taken to my parents. My father is like a big teddy bear and he loves kids; possibly because my parents couldn’t have any of their own. I was adopted.”

Phoebe replied in a saddened tone, “Oh, Mr. Kent, uh, Clark that’s a shame.”

Clark was smiling as he replied, “Actually, it isn’t. I couldn’t have wished for a better set of parents.”

Warren asked, “Has Superman told you what they are going to try?”

Lois answered, “He and Superwoman have kept us informed every step of the way. The reason we are here is to make the arrangements for your trip to Philadelphia. Doctor William Ferguson, the Neurologist that will be overseeing the surgery has admitting privilege there so that is where the surgery will take place. Superman and Superwoman have volunteered to fly you to the city and put you up in a hotel next to the hospital. Carrie will need to be there the day before.”

Clark added, “Lois and I are making those arrangements.”

Phoebe replied, “Clark, Lois, I don’t know how to thank you.”

Lois said, “I can suggest one way. Let us remain a part of Carrie’s life. She’s a special little girl and we love her to pieces.”

Phoebe said, “I can see that. Wait here a minute.” Phoebe got up and moved to Carrie’s room. They heard, “Carrie, dear, there’s someone here to see you sweetheart.”

They heard the sleepy voice of a child awakened from a nap, “Somebody to see me?”

“Come on into the living room and see who it is.”

They heard Phoebe, Carrie and Scrappy come down the hall. As soon as she rounded the corner she spotted Lois and Clark, she shouted, “Miss Lois” and threw herself into Lois’s arms.

This was not missed by Phoebe or Warren and Phoebe started to smile a gentle smile.

Finally, the big day arrived. Superman and Superwoman walked into the hospital in scrubs so that they would attract a little less attention and blend in at least somewhat. The only incongruous note was their masks and that only attracted attention until they donned the bonnet and surgical mask required in the operating room when it became less noticeable. Even thought this was going to be a closed, non-surgical procedure, protocols needed to be followed.

Warren and Phoebe Harris were there to greet then when they arrived. Even though they trusted Superwoman and Superman they were still worried for their little girl and looked every inch the nervous parents.

Phoebe said, “I can’t believe that the day has finally arrived. Carrie is so excited she hardly slept a wink last night. I stayed in the room with her and we talked well into the night.” She turned her attention to Superwoman and said, “Carrie has talked about you a lot. She really likes, no, that’s not a strong enough word, she really loves you. Next to me I think she loves you the most. You’d think that I’d be jealous, but I’m not. I’m happy that she someone like you showing an interest in her welfare. You’ve given us hope … hope that we’ll have her longer. That we’ll actually see her grow into a young lady. That I’ll be able to plan her wedding with her. That her life won’t be cut short, while still a child.”

She looked over at her husband. At his nod she continued, “Warren will be able to walk her down the aisle in her wedding. That we won’t have to bury our baby.” By this time Phoebe was crying unashamedly.

Lois took the lead and said, “Mrs. Harris, we are very happy that we can do this for you and for Carrie. As we have come to know her better, we have come to see just how special she is. She has become very dear to us as well.”

Warren Harris said, “I want to add my thanks. I know that you help people all of the time, but this is personal. This is our child you are helping. We read almost every day how the two of you help people all over the globe, but this really brings it home. You will have our undying gratitude, no matter the outcome. Just the fact that you are going to try, that’s good enough for me.”

Superman put his hand on Warren’s shoulder and in a determined voice said, “We don’t intend to just try. We intend to succeed. We will do everything within our power to secure a positive outcome. Now, I think it is time for us to move to the OR. They will be bringing Carrie in shortly.”

Warren reached for Superman’s hand and they shook while Phoebe put her arms around Superwoman in a hug and while her lips were near her ear, she whispered, “Thank you.”

Superwoman pulled back slightly, looked directly in Phoebe’s face and quietly said, “We will do everything we can to return her to you, healthy.

Carrie had been wheeled into the surgical suite on a gurney and transferred to the table. The support staff hooked up all of the monitors and the anesthesiologist started an IV drip to which would be added the sedative. Before he started it Superman spoke to Carrie, “Carrie, do you trust us?”

Carrie was a little frightened with all of this equipment, but she gave Superman her attention and when he asked her that question she nodded and said, “I trust you Mr. Superman. You’d never hurt me. You just want to help me.”

“That’s right Carrie. I only want to help you and when we finish you should be all better. You’re going to take a nap and when you wake up, your mommy, daddy and the Kents will be there with you. Okay?”

“Okay.”

Superman nodded and the anesthesiologist started the sedative. Within seconds Carrie was asleep.

Superman and Superwoman positioned themselves on opposite sides of the bed. They each sat on a stool near one of Carrie’s shoulders which brought them down to the level of the operating table so that they were looking directly at Carrie’s head and level with it. They began the procedure that they had practiced so much. Superwoman applied her x-ray vision at a predetermined intensity in a broad field striving to keep it planar, up and down and as thin as a sheet of paper. Superman focused his x-ray vision duplexed on his microscopic vision. Then pinpointing groups of cells of the tumor raised the strength of the x-ray vision and literally saw the cells die. Lois and Clark were in constant mental communication. He directed her movement while he attacked the cells. At a speed somewhat lower than superspeed, he exercised caution, moving from group to group. The procedure took several hours of effort. Carrie’s vital signs did not vary from the norm at any time, which was a good sign.

When they finished they both felt drained with the energy expenditure and the effort of exercising that level of caution. When they stood up from the stools, Doctor Ferguson asked, “How did it go?”

Superman, as the main operator answered, “I believe that we have been successful. We finished a few minutes ago. Superwoman turned off her x-ray vision and I continued, performing a post-op check. I didn’t find any other cancerous tissue anywhere in her brain and I could see macrophages starting to scavenge the killed tissue. That process will take some time.”

Doctor Ferguson said, “I’ll have her sent to post-op recovery.”

“Can her parents and friends join her there?”

“That isn’t normal procedure.”

“Please make an exception in this case.”

“Okay, they can join her in half an hour. I think they are in the waiting room. At the appropriate time I’ll get them.”

“Thank you doctor and thank you for your assistance.”

“Don’t mention it. This has given me a new line of research into how to cure lesions of this type.”

“If you don’t mind, Superwoman and I will be going now.”

After exiting as Superman and Superwoman they reentered as Lois and Clark and found Phoebe and Warren in the waiting room. As soon as they walked in, Phoebe threw her arms around Lois and said, “I’m glad you’re here. I wonder how much longer it’s going to take.”

Just then Doctor Ferguson came in through the door. He spotted the group and walked over. “Carrie has been transferred to recovery. You’ll be able to join her in just a few minutes.”

Phoebe, with trepidation in her voice asked, “How did it go doctor?”

“Superman told me that it was a complete success.”

Phoebe let out a small gasp and said, “Thank God.”

When Carrie woke up there were four people standing around her bed. On one side were her mother and father. On the other were Lois and Clark.

Phoebe said, “Welcome back kiddo. Did you have a nice nap?”

Carrie replied, “Yes, but I don’t feel any different.”

Clark said, “Carrie, the only difference will be that you won’t be having any more of those spells you used to get. They aren’t going to bother you anymore. Won’t that be nice?”

“Can I still keep Scrappy?”

Phoebe replied, “Scrappy is yours dear. He wouldn’t want to go with anyone else now.”

Her relief at this statement was palpable. All of the worry left her and she smiled for the first time.

From that time on, hardly two weeks went by that Superman didn’t pick Carrie up for a visit with the Kents.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 02:19 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj