Clark and Lois – Two Universes - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 7 12/32
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

This particular story takes place after Lois and Clarks.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ “denotes telepathic communication”/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

“Does that mean I have to put off my plans?”

Lois asked, “You mean you and Lucy?”

With some concern in his voice he said, “Yeah.”

Lois said, “Well, now, let’s see, we are no longer in an employer/employee relationship since we are now partners, so it isn’t like I’d be working for my brother-in-law. That makes it a lot less awkward. Actually, I think we just removed a major roadblock.”

Mr. Olsen started to smile again, very broadly this time as he said, “Yeah, I guess we did. Well, in that case, Lois, as Lucy’s sister and closest relative can I ask her to marry me?”

Lois started to laugh. When she did his countenance fell, until she answered, “Odd that you should put it that way. Just the other day we were talking about a Bar-B-Q with you and our dad. It’ll give you a chance to meet him. He’s really the one you should ask.”

Hearing this Mr. Olsen’s expression brightened considerably. In a tone of relief he said, “Whew, you had me worried there. Sure, I’d love to meet him. And, since we are now partners and could be relatives soon, why don’t you both call me James.”

Cark said, “In private we will,” looking over his shoulder and nodding toward the bullpen he finished, “out there it’ll be Mr. Olsen. We don’t want it to look like there’s any favoritism being shown.”

Assuming an air of authority Mr. Olsen said, “Okay, if that’s all you’ve got, get back to work.” He winked at them.

They both nodded and said, loudly enough to be heard outside, “Anything you say, Mr. Olsen,” and turned to exit.

Clark picked up his phone and called Murray. “Murray, Clark Kent…. Yeah, the offer came in just fine…. Well, that’s the thing, the deal is there, but the transaction will not be completed for at least a year and a half…. Yeah, that’s right, you will have access to that money…. Yes, you can invest it at interest…. What??? … I don’t know about that. That wasn’t the purpose of that money…. Well, it would be nice to not live paycheck to paycheck. Okay, as long as legal agrees, that will be fine…. Okay, Thanks, Murray. We really appreciate it…. You’ll get back to us with the details? … That’s fine. Thanks again.” He hung up the phone and turned to Lois. “Murray just gave me a surprise. When I told him that the 50 mil would be in his care for a couple of years he proposed investing it at interest.”

“That sounds like good fiscal responsibility. He’s turned out to be a good manager.”

“That’s only part of it. He said that since the interest accrued isn’t coming in as royalties on memorabilia that he can’t mix it in with that income. According to him, the easiest way to handle it is to keep it totally separate.”

“That sounds reasonable. What does he propose to do with that money? The deal is for 50 mil. What will happen with that extra?”

“Murray is setting up a draw account for us. All of the interest generated from the investments will be ours to use to defray our expenses. He just cancelled the loan on the car and the mortgage. We are no longer in debt. The interest on the investments could amount to several million a year. With careful reinvestment of that interest by the end of the two years we could have a nice nest-egg, especially if we can live on our salaries otherwise.”

“Wow, that’s too much! You mean that we don’t have to worry about money any more?” She started to smile as she suggested, “Maybe we should do the same thing in the other universe.”

“In the other universe no one knows that Clark Kent is Superman. How could Clark Kent explain the influx of funds or access to Superman Foundation money?”

Disappointment in her tone, Lois said, “Yeah, well it was a thought.”

And Now:

Chapter 10 – Planning a Wedding
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 - Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The following weekend there was a Bar-B-Q at the Kent farm in Smallville. This was the first time that Jack and Denny had been in the country.

Lois made sure that both of them brought their school books so that they could study for some upcoming exams. Both of the guys were doing well in school. Most of the monitoring of the homework was being done by Lucy and there were no objections from either of the boys because they both liked the attractive brunette. The plan was to spend the entire weekend at the farm so they all packed some clothes.

An alarm system was installed at the 348 Hyperion address which incorporated an ultrasonic signal at 90,000 Hertz and enough power to be heard all over the city and beyond. They hadn’t tested the range but the amount of power being fed to the emitter guaranteed its effectiveness over a wide area.

Clark had called Doctor Klein and requested a few more watches and lockets so that he would have them to distribute as needed. In the mean time he gave one of the watches to James explaining its necessity since he was going to be marrying into the family.

Once all of this had been accomplished Clark ferried the bags and then people to the farm. Jack and Denny were particularly excited about flying with Superman and the excitement lasted a long time after they were on the ground. It was all they could talk about and forget about any studying being done that night.

Saturday after breakfast, Clark picked up Sam Lane and dropped him off at the farm before going after James Olsen.

The day went well. Sam appeared to like James and vice versa and by the end of the morning James had permission to ask Lucy for her hand.

That afternoon James asked Lucy if she wanted to go for a walk and when they returned Lucy was simply gushing with joy.

Lois said, “Okay, let’s see it.”

Obligingly, Lucy held out her hand to show off a two carat emerald cut diamond flanked by a pair of emeralds in a yellow gold setting. As she did she said, “You’ll be my Matron of Honor, won’t you sis?”

Lois replied, “Don’t even think about asking anyone else.”

James pulled Clark aside and asked, “Would you consider being my best man?”

“I would be honored.”

Lois spoke up, “Hey, wait a minute. Clark, why don’t we make this a double wedding? We were married in the Congo, but this way we could have a church wedding. Daddy, would you mind walking both of us down the aisle? Lucy, would you be my Maid of Honor?”

Clark looked at James and asked, “Are you okay with this?”

James was surprised at what was happening, but said, “I guess so. I really don’t have much family. My dad is with the NIA and I don’t see him much. I really don’t know where my mom is either so I was thinking of a small ceremony. I guess it would be fun for the girls, sure, let’s do it that way.”

With a chuckle, Clark asked, “Oh, I think it will be a small ceremony. My folks passed some time ago. Sam and Lucy are the extent of Lois’ family. Unless some of the people from the Planet want to attend, it will be a small wedding. In that case, since the girls are being each other’s bridal party, would you be my best man?”

With a grin James said, “It would be my honor. Where should we have the ceremony?”

“If you really want to keep it small, we could hold it here in Smallville. The other option would be Metropolis.”

Just then the phone rang and Clark went to answer it. “Kent residence.”

“Clark! I heard a rumor that you were at the farm. How are you and Lois doing?”

“Lana! This is a surprise! How are you and how is Pete?”

“That’s why I’m calling. Is Lois there?”

“Sure, she’s right here. You want to talk to her?”

“Actually, why don’t we come over?”

“We? Who is we?”

“Me and Pete, silly. Who else would we be?”

“Oh, right, you and Pete. Sure come on over. We’ll see you shortly.”

He turned to the group and said, “I need to zip to the store. I need to get more supplies for the grill. We have more guests coming.”

Lois said, “Oh, who?”

“Lana and Pete.”

“Oh, well, good! We haven’t seen them in months. Okay, more franks, burgers, chicken and ribs. Pick up some more Coleslaw and potato salad while you are at it. I think we have enough drinks in the fridge. I guess you need to hurry. I’ll get the grill ready.” She turned away to do just that while Clark spun into the Suit and took off for the store.

Sam stopped her and said, “Princess, I guess that’s one of the gaps in your memory. Let me take care of the grill. I used to do a lot of grilling while you were growing up.”

Lois added this to her store of information that she was gathering about this father that she had never known. She gave him a peck on the cheek and smiling said, “Go right ahead, Daddy. The grill is yours.”

“Thank you Princess,” he replied as he turned away.

Clark just barely managed to return before Lana and Pete arrived. He saw Sam at the grill. The coals were hot and with an apron on he had started cooking. Clark placed the additional meats in the cooler and said, “Thanks, Sam for taking over.”

Smiling, Sam replied, “Think nothing of it! You just go relax and let the ‘ol Grillmaester handle this chore. It’s been a while since I’ve had a reason to grill. I’ve really missed it.”

Lana and Pete drove up and gallantly Pete opened the car door for Lana and helped her to exit.

Lois and Clark both noticed this and smiled as they walked over, hand in hand.

As soon as Lana was in range Lois gave her a hug. Then after Lois made the introductions she said to Lana, “Well, we haven’t seen you guys for a while. How have things been going?” She looked back and forth between the two of them significantly.

Lana started to smile as she looked at Pete and said, “Well, he finally did it.”

Knowing just what was coming, but deciding to play dumb, Lois asked, “Who finally did what?”

Lana, with just a hint of exasperation in her voice said, “Pete of course!”

Lois asked, “Oh, Pete! What did Pete finally do? Did he hear back on that job application?”

“Well, yes, he did, but that’s not what is so special.” Lana reached into her pocket as she turned away for a second. When she turned back around she held out her left hand and said, “He popped the question.”

Lois dropped the act and looking at Pete asked, “What took you so long?”

Pete, defensively said, “I needed to hear back on that application and make sure she was willing to make the move.”

Clark asked, “Was there really ever a question?”

Pete replied, “I guess not, I just had to get up the nerve.”

Lois asked, “How soon?”

Lana replied, “We haven’t decided yet.”

With an ornery look Lois asked, “Would you like to join us?”

Lana, with a mystified tone asked, “Join you in what?”

“Would you like to join us in our weddings?”

Lana was totally in left field at this point and asked, “Weddings? What weddings?”

Lois was almost laughing as she replied, “Lucy’s and mine! Lucy just got engaged and since Clark and I had a civil ceremony in the Congo we are going to make it a double ceremony church wedding. Now we could make it a triple!”

Lana replied, “Oh, I’ll have to think it over. While I do, Pete, why don’t you get that thing you wanted to show Clark?”

“Right, it’s in the trunk. Be right back.”

As Pete was returning from the car he was carrying an old tackle box. He started to open it as he was walking, saying, “Wayne Irig found this on his property when a storm blew over an old tree.”

As he was passing Lois she suddenly screamed in pain, “Arrrrggggg!” All she had time to send was, /”Kryptonite!”/ before she passed out, falling limply to the ground.

Clark supersped to Pete and slammed shut the tackle box. He kept his hands on the box, keeping it closed. He turned his head to look at Lois.

The girls all gathered around Lois trying to revive her. As Sam dropped to the ground at her side checking her pulse and breathing he asked, "Is she pregnant?"

With conviction, Clark replied, "That's not the problem."

Pete was shocked. He looked at Lois lying on the ground, unconscious and at Clark’s hands keeping the box closed with a question in his eyes. Finally he asked, “What happened?”

Still making sure that the box was kept closed, Clark asked, “Pete, what’s in this box?”

“I don’t know! It looks like a geode that has been broken open. It is filled with these crystals. They are green and shine like light sticks.”

Clark said, “That’s what I thought, it’s Kryptonite. Pete, you need to keep this box closed!”

Pete asked, “I thought Kryptonite only affected you. What happened to Lois?”

Clark didn’t answer immediately. Letting go of the box finally, he picked up Lois and cradling her in his arms looked around. He could see Jack and Denny at a distance, tossing a ball back and forth in a field. He asked, “James, could you grab that lounge chair on the porch and bring it out here into the sun, please?”

Grateful for something constructive to do James jumped to comply.

While standing there waiting he had been thinking, furiously. Once James had the lounge in the sun, Clark placed Lois on it. Fortunately, that morning Lois had opted for comfort and fun in the sun apparel and was dressed in a shorts set consisting of short shorts, a tank top and sandals so, thankfully she would get a lot of sunlight on her bare skin without Clark having to change her into one of her bikinis. He turned to those gathered around and said, “There’s something we haven’t told anyone, but I guess it’s time you all heard. Lois is Kryptonian, like me.”

This hit everyone like a bomb going off and there was a general gasp.

The first to recover was Sam Lane. He said, “She wasn’t Kryptonian when she was born. I should know, I was there, if you know what I mean.”

They hadn’t planned on how to proceed with this. Clark had decided that he would have to wing it. “You are correct Sam. It is something that happened later. We had decided to keep it a secret, sort of a surprise to spring at the proper time. This wasn’t supposed to happen.” Turning to Pete he said, “That box, how old is it?”

“That tackle box? It’s ancient. It belongs to Wayne Irig."

“It must be painted with lead based paint. That’s why it didn’t affect me. The lid was between me and the Kryptonite. Lois was in direct line of exposure. That’s what knocked her out. She is fully Kryptonian which means she has all of my powers, but she also has my weakness. Kryptonite can kill us, both of us.”

In the silence which followed this statement, you could hear the click as Pete finally threw the latch on the tackle box. Feeling remorse at his unintentional injury of Lois, Pete stammered, “I didn’t know.” It suddenly hit him, “If I had shown that rock to you … that could have been you there! This is just great! What a mess. What can we do?”

“In the barn you’ll find some bailing wire. Use some of it to wind around the tackle box so that it won’t open accidentally and then bring it back.”

Pete went off on his errand returning shortly with the box wrapped like a mummy in the bailing wire. Pete was not one to go by half measures. He said, “Here you go. What do you plan to do with it?”

Putting out his hand, Clark said, “If I may?”

After Pete handed the wrapped box to him, Clark took two paces away and hurled the box up and out of the atmosphere into space, never to return.

A few minutes later Lois stirred on the lounge. As she opened her eyes she said, “I’m sorry. It must have been too much sun.”

Clark was kneeling at her side with her hand in his. He said, “It’s okay, Honey, they know.”

With a questioning look she asked, “They know? What do they know?”

“They know that I’ve made you a Kryptonian so that we could be together.”

Realizing that this was the story that he had invented to cover what had happened and still conceal the truth she went along with it. “Oh darn. You mean that we’ve spoiled the surprise?”

He said, “I think we can trust them to keep the secret. After all, this is all family.”

Everyone expressed their agreement with this so Lois nodded and said, “Yeah, I guess you’re right. If we can’t trust them, who can we trust?”

“How are you feeling?”

“Still a little rocky. It never gets any easier, does it?”

“No, and from what Pete said it was a large piece of crystalline green Kryptonite, the worst kind. Why don’t you stay here on the lounge, we can bring over some more chairs and we can all sit around and talk.”

With a look of appreciation she said, “That would be nice. We need to decide if Lana is going to make it a triple wedding.”

Jack and Denny had been far enough away that they were entirely unaware of what had happened to Lois and the decision to keep them in the dark was a natural one.

The rest of the day was spent in the sun so that Lois could recover, eating Bar-B-Q and talking. Jack and Denny joined in the eating, but headed out on their own when the grown-ups started talking. No one was surprised when Clark waited on Lois, bringing her whatever she asked for. Since her exposure had been brief, Lois recovered quickly, but Clark was still worried about her reaction to the rock. Somehow it just didn’t seem right. She shouldn’t have reacted that severely to that brief an exposure. He decided that they would have to talk it over later. This was a mystery and a concern which had him worried.

Clark pulled Pete aside and asked, “Pete, I’ve been thinking. If this piece of Kryptonite has shown up there is probably more around. I’m going to need some help in finding and disposing of any more that might be lying around. Growing up I was only on the farm for the first ten years. After I went into the foster care system I was on the other side of town most of the time. If there is more around, on this side of town I might not have known about it. Now that you know what it looks like, maybe you could get some of the other guys, like Billy Eck and Rachel’s brother, Charlie, to help look for more and dispose of it. By the way, how are Rachel and Billy? I haven’t seen Rachel since I took her to the prom.”

“Well, you do know that Rachel was elected sheriff when her dad retired. She got her degree in criminology about the same time you graduated from Journalism school. She married Billy a couple of years ago. They seem to be happy together. He runs the feed store in town now, took over the management when his father retired. I’ll contact them on Monday and see what we can do.”

The possibility existed that with each exposure she was becoming more sensitive, though that had not been the case with him. If anything he had been able to handle that exposure to crystalline Kryptonite during that fake mugging better than he had that time when Tempus had exposed him to that large piece of non-crystalline Kryptonite. As he was thinking about it he started getting even more concerned. Even when he was exposed to that large chunk by Tempus it hadn’t knocked him out the way it had Lois. Maybe there was something to the old saying, ‘The Weaker Sex’, but no, Lois was every bit as fast as he was and short of pressing neutronium barbells there was no way to determine if there was a significant difference in their strength. This was going to require more thought. In the mean time he was going to take as good care of her as was possible.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 02:23 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj