Print Thread
#97127 09/02/13 11:15 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 04/27/14 10:53 AM. Reason: Corrected Link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#97128 09/02/13 11:50 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. This is an intense story. I'm very excited to see what's going to come, especially as I have no idea, never having seen The Hunger Games. I wonder if you are going to turn Clark into the saviour of the world. His anger at how the people in the districts are treated in comparison to the Capitol is quite obvious. He is currently fighting to keep from doing something radical. well, maybe he NEEDS to do something radical. It's the only way that more than one person will survive this. And I'm sure that ever reader wants at least 3 of the tributes to survive.

I feel really sad for Becky. It was awful seeing her deteriorate of the course of this chapter. I hope there is something that can be done for her, but only you know what resources are in place in the world.

More soon please.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#97129 09/02/13 04:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois is acting very in character. I hope that Clark will be able to win her over.

Great story so far! I'm eagerly awaiting more.

#97130 09/03/13 02:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm on edge waiting for the next chapter. Things didn't look good for Becky before, but know it's getting worse. frown I feel sad for her and for Clark, because he wants to help her but there's nothing he can do. mecry

Hope he can convince Lois to be his ally. There's a lot of animosity towards her and she must be one of the main targets for another tributes. eek

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#97131 09/03/13 04:19 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I hope Becky can stay alive long enough for the games to start. It would be a tragedy for her sister to have to take her place. The best case I can see for Becky is for Clark to pick her up and run into the woods to hide as soon as the game starts, where he takes care of her as she dies.

I can see Clark trying to protect Lois against her will, but I can't see her ever agreeing to an alliance with anyone. An alliance is only a short-term benefit, anyway. Sooner or later, one side has to break it, so they can never trust each other. I figure it must be a case of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer." If the career tributes band together, then they know where their most dangerous enemies are at all times. They can pick off the less capable ones so they don't have to worry about an ambush when they finally turn on each other.

I find it sadly ironic that the farmers are starving. I suppose there must be measures in place to prevent them from skimming off the top and taking some of what they produce. This doesn't seem like a viable society. If the farmers' circumstances don't improve soon, the next few generations will have more health problems, decreased fertility, and higher maternal and infant death rates, which will lead to a labor shortage. Food will go unharvested, and not enough will get planted the next season. What will those rich Capitolites do when there just isn't enough food? Starve the other districts, too? Starve the miners? Then they'll run out of metals and coal for their power plants. They rely completely on the districts to provide for them, but they're not willing to let them have enough themselves to survive. I understand the Capitol wanting to exert its power and show the districts who's boss (not that I agree with that tactic), but the system they've got in place doesn't seem viable for the long term.

You've peaked my interest in reading the book. I'm not as interested in the game itself (the whole idea is frankly horrific), but I'd like to see a more thorough explanation of the political structure of Panem and what the conditions are like in the other districts, if it goes into that.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#97132 09/03/13 05:22 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
I find it sadly ironic that the farmers are starving. I suppose there must be measures in place to prevent them from skimming off the top and taking some of what they produce. This doesn't seem like a viable society. If the farmers' circumstances don't improve soon, the next few generations will have more health problems, decreased fertility, and higher maternal and infant death rates, which will lead to a labor shortage. Food will go unharvested, and not enough will get planted the next season. What will those rich Capitolites do when there just isn't enough food? Starve the other districts, too? Starve the miners? Then they'll run out of metals and coal for their power plants. They rely completely on the districts to provide for them, but they're not willing to let them have enough themselves to survive. I understand the Capitol wanting to exert its power and show the districts who's boss (not that I agree with that tactic), but the system they've got in place doesn't seem viable for the long term.
*puts on sociologist's cap* This sort of society is sadly well-rooted in reality. Where there are a handful of wealthy elites at the top and lots of hungry poorer people to exploit, this sort of system tends to thrive. After all, why should people be valued if they can easily be replaced? Throughout history, that's been a very common attitude -- at least until whatever fine balance made the exploitation possible tips, frequently in a very unpleasant manner (revolutions, large and small, have been fairly frequent over the last two and half centuries, all the way from the "shot heard round the world" of the American Revolution right up to the ongoing Arab Spring). So ... an exploitative society like the one seen in The Hunger Games is viable -- but only for a while. Eventually, either natural consequences such as famine and disease serve to break the balance of power, or people fight back (or both). What causes exploitative societies to rise is complex, and what causes them to fall is complex, but their reality is undeniable. *takes off sociologist's cap*

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

#97133 09/06/13 04:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
At Last! Comment time! thumbsup

RL is a pain, but perhaps we will see Part Seven sooner rather than later!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#97134 09/13/13 06:59 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, everyone. RL is busy right now :rolleyes: , but I am, slowly but surely, getting the next chapter written.

#97135 09/16/13 10:54 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I must admit I've been reading this, but not commenting. Imagine my surprise when I found a novel called "The Hunger Games" and its sequel! Right now, I'm desperately waiting for part 3 to arrive (since your writing happens to be slow at the moment anyway).

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard