Ines brought lunch, but no news. Clyde asked a question; she shook her head.

Clark ate, tasting nothing, every thought, every beat of his heart centred on Lois.

If she lost Rolle or the baby …

Clark couldn't bring himself to think beyond the fog of fear. Lois was relying on him to be her hope. Her strength.

The sun had dipped behind the trees, casting the first shadows across the village, and Clark was wondering how Lois was going to cope with another sleepless night, when Lioli sprinted quietly into the hut.

Clyde placed his chisel on the bench and went to meet her.

She said a few words in Bangala. Clark couldn't glean meaning from either her facial expression or her tone.

Turning to him, Lioli said, "Kent, my father has been called to Rolle's hut."

"What does that mean?" Clark asked.

"Either life has begun," she said. "Or it has ended."

She touched his arm and then ran from the hut to continue carrying her message through the Bangala people.

Part 30

The Bangala people had congregated into a thick horseshoe of humanity with the focal point firmly fixed on the entrance to Rolle's hut.

The nervous anticipation, which had been simmering quietly for over twenty-four hours, had intensified to rigid tension as the village balanced precariously between joy and grief.

Clark had hung back, taking up a position on the outer rim in an attempt to obscure the glaring differences in his height and skin colour. As the people waited, he channelled his thoughts into the hut. What had happened? How was Lois feeling? Was there going to be anything he could do to help her?

A surge of undefinable emotion swept over him, causing him to gasp, and a second later, Matymbou appeared in the entrance. As the chief stepped forward, the waning sunlight revealed the tiny form of an unmoving baby in his arms, its black skin camouflaged against the chief's chest.

Clark held his breath and fixed his gaze on the baby's ribcage, willing it to rise.

With great gentleness, Matymbou grasped the baby's neck and buttocks and lifted it towards the sky. "Mwana mwasi," he stated loudly. "Mwana Bangala."

A cheer rose, and a small hand slipped into Clark's. He looked down to see Diddi. "It's a girl," Diddi said with a wide grin.

"Is that what Matymbou said? That it's a girl? And she's alive?"

"He said, 'Girl child. Child of the Bangala.' That means she belongs here, with us."

The crowd hushed, and the whimpers of the newborn leached into the silence. Matymbou lowered her to his chest, cradling her against his body. He looked up at his people, his face alight with joy. "Malesi, Nzambe," he cried. "Malesi, Nzambe."

The crowd echoed his shout, loud and triumphant.

"They're thanking God," Diddi said.

"What about Rolle?" Clark asked. "Is she all right?"

"Of course she's all right," Diddi said blithely. "The baby's out now."

Clark lightly gripped Diddi's shoulder. "Has Matymbou said that Rolle is all right?"

Consternation flooded into Diddi's expression. "She could have died? Even though the baby is here?"

Clark brushed aside his fears with a forged smile. "Let's wait, shall we?" he said. "Let's see what Matymbou says."

Matymbou's large hand cupped the baby's head, his lips moving as he looked down at the youngest member of his tribe. A restrained hum had risen from the crowd as they hugged each other and muttered exclamations about the baby. An older woman standing next to Clark touched his arm and smiled at him, saying a few words he didn't understand.

He returned her smile, but he couldn’t celebrate yet. Not until he'd heard that Rolle was safe. He knew one life wouldn't be enough for Lois.

Matymbou, still tenderly stroking the baby's head, moved to one side and looked into the entrance of the hut. "Kito," he called. "Yaka epai oyo."

A young man stepped into the doorway and continued forward to where Matymbou awaited. Kito's smile broke out as his eyes flittered from person to person in the crowd. Then, he stretched both hands skywards and shouted, "Malesi, Nzambe. Zala na mibale basi."

The crowd erupted with a roar that seemed to shake the earth. Clark saw Diddi's mouth moving and leaned down.

"Rolle is all right," Diddi said. "Kito thanked God for his two women."

Clark gathered Diddi into a hug as relief coursed through him. "That's wonderful, Diddi," he said. "Your maman will be so happy."

"I told you my maman is the bestest medicine woman in the whole world," Diddi said.

"You did," Clark said. "And you were right."

When he straightened, Matymbou was passing the baby to her father. Then, Kito stood before his people, holding his child in arms made stiff and awkward by the wonder of new life. His head lifted, and his eyes shone with tears. An older woman stepped forward and hurried over to him.

"That's Kito's maman," Diddi said.

The woman hugged Kito, and together, they admired the baby. Then a man stepped forward.

"That's Rolle's brother," Diddi said.

A steady trickle of people peeled away from the throng as if according to a prescribed formula, but Clark's attention had moved to the entrance of the hut.

He wanted Lois. He needed assurance that she was all right.

Romaric and three other men walked into the hut. Clark waited, his eyes trained on the entrance as, around him, the Bangala people milled around Kito and his daughter.

A few seconds later, Lois and Sylva came into view, the older woman limping and leaning heavily on the younger. Clark restrained feet that wanted to run and gather Lois into his arms. He searched her face. The traces of battle still lingered - in the sallowness of her cheeks and the cloak of weariness that had rounded her shoulders.

Her beauty hadn't dimmed. The sight of her stalled his breath and dried his throat.

Matymbou approached Lois and Sylva, drawing them into his arms. Others left Kito and surrounded the two medicine women, and for a time, Clark could only see the top of Lois's head as she was immersed in the congratulations of her people.

When she emerged, her eyes roved the crowd. Their eyes met. She smiled, causing his spirits to soar.

Another roar of approval resounded as the four men brought a daybed from the hut, carrying the new mother. As the late afternoon sunlight touched her, she straightened from the pillow, her gaze on Kito and their daughter.

Many of the well-wishers swarmed to the new mother, freeing Lois to scamper across the twenty yards separating them. Clark moved forward, his arms outstretched, and she slid into his embrace.

"You did it," he whispered. "You saved both of them."

Her arms tightened around his neck. "Thank you," she murmured. "Thank you for being there last night."

"I wish I could have done more."

"You gave me exactly what I needed."

"You think Rolle's going to be all right? And the baby?"

Lois unwound from him, although her arms stayed perched on his shoulders. "The baby is small, but she's had a feed, which is always an important indicator. Rolle is sore and very tired, but if we can get through the next couple of days without infection or uncontrolled bleeding, she'll be OK."

Clark hadn't thought much beyond the birth. "I guess she's going to need you," he said evenly.

"I'm hoping they'll both sleep," Lois said. "Sylva's ankle is hurting; Matymbou has ordered her to rest. Kito's mother is going to move in with the new parents, so I won't have to be there all the time."

Clark brushed back a few strands of her hair. "You need to sleep," he said. "You must be exhausted."

"I'm too euphoric to sleep right now. And anyway …" Her thumb glided down his neck. "There's something I'd like to talk to you about."

Her words caused dread to march on his heart. Her soft smile stopped it cold.

"It's nothing to worry about," she said. "I need to go and check on Rolle and make sure she's settled back in the hut. I'll get away as soon as I can."

Above Lois's head, Clark saw the four men pick up the bed and carry it into the hut. Kito followed with his daughter. The people dispersed, their excited voices and jubilant laughter dissolving the memory of the long hours of sombre silence. Some carried chunky tables out from the huts and placed them in the centre of the village. Others brought plates of food and pitchers of drink.

"Do you want me to wait for you in your hut?" Clark asked Lois.

"No," she said, easing out of his arms. "Join in the party. It'll be fun."

"I'll stay here," he said. "So you will be able to find me."

She grinned. "You think it's gonna be hard to find the only white guy in an African village?"

"I guess not," he said, smiling, too. "But if you've only got a few minutes, I don't want you to waste them looking for me."

"I'll find you," she said.

As Lois walked away, her words echoed through Clark's mind.

She would find him.

Even when he'd tried to run away, she'd always found him.

And he had a feeling she always would.

~|^|~

The celebration swirled around Clark. Diddi brought him food and drink. Men and women smiled at him. Matymbou came over and asked if he would like an official welcome during the wedding and birth celebrations.

"No," Clark said, wondering if the chief would push for a reason. "But thank you."

Matymbou patted Clark's arm. "Even without an official ceremony, you are part of us now," he said. "You're Bangala."

"Thank you."

Diddi and Zephyrin's space exploration game had grown to five boys running through the clusters of revellers as they flew the sturdy twigs that served as their spacecraft. Diddi saw Clark and ran towards him. The 'astronauts' landed their rockets at his feet and grinned up at him. "I love it when babies come," Diddi said. "We don't have to go to bed and we can make as much noise as we want to."

"Which planet are you going to next?" Clark asked.

"It's a new one we just discovered," Diddi said. "It's called …" He looked at his friends.

"Planet of the Truck," Zephyrin said with a wide grin.

"Because the truck is there," another boy added.

The boys giggled as they executed an elaborate take-off routine and ran away.

"What are you smiling about?"

Clark looked up to find Lois there. "Your son. He's decided he likes babies because he doesn't have to go to bed."

"Most parents find that, too," Lois said wryly.

Their laughter came easily, free from the yoke of fear.

"Did you get something to eat?" Clark asked.

"Yeah. Gislane brought food to Rolle's hut." Lois slipped her hand into his. "Come with me? Perhaps we can go to the quarantine area. We can talk there."

Her hand was warm, nullifying the sparks of nervousness that wanted to fill him with foreboding. As they weaved their way through the people, Clark wondered if anyone would comment on them sneaking away, but no one said anything or appeared to give them undue attention.

Once outside the village, Lois moved through the dappled moonlight with swift assurance, and a few minutes later, they arrived at the entrance of the quarantine area. "Let's get out of the shadows," Lois said, leading him to the treeless patch in front of the hut.

"You said nothing's wrong," Clark said, feeling his concerns creep back. Was she going to ask him to add their marriage to the list of official celebrations?

And if she did, would he be strong enough to remember that he was still married to Lana?

She stopped and faced him. "I wanted to make sure you're all right."

"Me?"

"With the baby coming … You must have thought about Lana and the child you hoped for."

He'd barely given Lana a thought. Or the child that had once been embodiment of his hopes for the future. "I'm OK," he said.

Her eyes, soft with understanding, floated up to his. "Really?"

Clark nodded. "Really."

"If that's the case, there's something I'd like to ask you."

His heart thumped against his sternum. "What?" he croaked.

"Rolle and Kito asked me to choose the baby's name."

"Is it usual to ask someone else to name a baby?"

"It's customary for the parents to ask someone in their family to pick a name. Often, it's one of the grandparents, or a much-loved aunt or uncle."

"Have you thought of something?" Clark asked.

"Yeah. But I'm not sure how you'll feel about it."

"What does it have to do with me?"

"I thought it might be nice to use your mother's name - Martha. But then, I wondered if you'd wanted to use her name for … for ..."

"For Lana's baby?" he said. In his heart, that baby was no longer his. It had never been his.

"Yes. I don't want to open old wounds."

There were old wounds, Clark realised. Painful, but belonging to a time past, a people gone, a life finished. "Martha?" he said. "Won't she feel different, having a non-Bangala name?"

"It's not that much different from Sylva."

"You didn't think about using Sylva's name?"

"The Bangala tribe doesn't repeat names during someone's life. It's almost guaranteed that the first boy born after Matymbou dies will be called 'Matymbou' but the name won't be used while he's alive."

"Well, that quashes my suggestion," Clark said.

"Sylva?"

"No," he said with a quiet chuckle. "I was thinking 'Lois' would be the perfect name. Clearly, the baby is a fighter and doesn't like being beaten."

Lois smiled at that. "She can't be 'Lois'. Would you mind us using 'Martha' or would you prefer I think of something else?"

"I think …" His mom would have been enchanted by the tiny African girl. "I think 'Martha' is a lovely choice. Thank you for thinking of it."

"You sure?"

"Positive. I know Mom would approve."

Lois smiled. "Are you OK with people knowing it was your mom's name? Or would you prefer it stay as something only we know?"

"Are Rolle and Kito going to want their baby named after the mother of a visitor?"

"You're not a visitor. You're a part of the Bangala tribe. And I think Rolle and Kito will be delighted that their baby has been named after such a wonderful woman." Lois gave him a tired smile, fell forward into his chest, and sighed.

She felt so good, her arms around his neck, her head tucked under his chin. Clark jerked his thoughts away from how much he was enjoying her closeness and said, "How do you know my mom was a wonderful woman?"

"Because I know her son."

"That doesn't necessarily guarantee -"

"Someone loved you. Someone demonstrated the value of family for you. Someone encouraged you to listen to your conscience. Someone taught you that integrity is important."

"My dad did all those things, too."

"But Rolle's baby is a girl," Lois said lightly. "I just wouldn't feel right about suggesting she be called 'Jonathan'."

Clark chuckled and tilted his head, planning to place a kiss in Lois's hair. As the same moment, she moved, turning her face upwards, and his kiss landed on her cheek.

Her hands grasped his neck, her thumbs reaching up to his jaw. "Please, Kent," she said. "It's OK. Please don't back away. It's fine. It doesn't mean any-"

His restraint shattered, and Clark leaned down and kissed her. Short. Fiery. And directly on her mouth.

As he backed away, she looked up at him, shock embedded in the drop of her mouth.

Clark gulped as the realisation of what he'd done hammered him. "Lois," he said. "I'm s-"

"I'm not," she said firmly. "I've been waiting for you to do that for days."

"But I'm -"

"You're married."

He nodded. "I'm married." He groaned as shame washed over him. "You just finished saying I was a man of integrity and I -"

"Integrity needs wisdom," Lois said. "Without wisdom, integrity is empty gestures."

"You're saying it was wise to kiss you?"

"I'm saying that sometimes, we need wisdom to accept change … to acknowledge we can't go back … to accept what we've lost and refuse to allow our lives to deteriorate to regret."

The waves of memories of the kiss were still washing over him.

"I lost everything, too," she reminded him.

"Yeah, I know."

"Then, I gained a son. And a community. And a husband who's heart had been broken by the death of his wife. He showed me that there is always a way forward and while we're still breathing, we owe it to ourselves to find it."

Clark could too easily see the way forward. "If I had met you … back home … while I was with Lana … I can't be sure that I wouldn't have …"

"You would never have forsaken your wife and marriage."

"But what I feel for you is deeper, stronger, purer, more compelling than the best of what I felt for Lana. I might have done to her what she did to me."

"Then forgive her," Lois said. "Forgive her, and free her to live the life she has chosen for herself and her child."

"And free myself to marry you?" Clark said, his words brittle with disbelief that it could be so simple.

"We'll find a way," Lois said.

He wanted to believe her. He wanted so much to believe that they would find a way to be together that didn't make a mockery of the values his parents had instilled in him.

"Today is a day for miracles." Lois rubbed his arm. "Our entire village is celebrating. Let's go and tell them the newest member of the Bangala is to be called 'Martha'." She moved towards the gate.

"Lois?"

She stopped. "Uhmm?"

"Thanks." One word. Yet it meant everything.

Her smile emerged, taking firm possession of his heart. "You're welcome, Kent," she said.