Clark and Lois – Two Universes - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 7 08/32
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

This particular story takes place after Lois and Clarks.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ “denotes telepathic communication”/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 – Common name – Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

The thug replied, “I have two hostages, Superman. Give me safe passage out of here or they get it.”

At superspeed Superman used the thugs own belts and shoe laces to secure them and then he sped out of the house. He used his x-ray vision to see just where the remaining thug was. He saw him half supporting Lucy and holding a gun to her head. The thug was facing the door, expecting him to come at him from that direction.

As he hovered outside of the window he could just see the gun the thug was holding and focused his heat vision to melt the point of the firing pin on his revolver’s hammer so that it would never contact the primer. When he did this he also melted two pinpoint holes in the glass of the window. Now that the danger was eliminated he crashed in through the window. As Superman grabbed him, in reflex, the thug pulled the trigger, but instead of the expected explosion there was a simple metallic click. Superman reached for and relieved him of his weapon. Five seconds later he had joined his fellow thugs on the floor of the upstairs hallway.

Once this had been accomplished he picked up Lucy from where she had fallen when the thug released her and took her with him as he flew back to Lois. He placed Lucy in another chair and picked Lois up and cradled her in his lap, her head on his left shoulder, as they waited for the police to arrive, which was only a few short minutes later.

Bill Henderson was the first one out of a cruiser car. He spotted Superman with Lois in his lap and Lucy next to them. Lois appeared to be passed out. Bill looked at her and then at him and lifted an eyebrow in enquiry.

Superman replied to the unasked question, “They chloroformed her. She hasn’t completely recovered yet.” Superman indicated the other girl and said, “This is Lucy Lane, Lois’ sister. The rest of the missing girls are all upstairs. They look like they’ve been drugged. I’d suggest that you call for some ambulances.”

Bill turned to his driver, Sgt. Tartaglia, and said, “Gino, get on the radio and call that request in.” He turned back to Superman as Gino sketched a salute and turned to make the call. Bill indicated Lois and asked, “How is she? Should she go in an ambulance?”

Shaking his head in the negative, Clark replied, “No, Bill, that won’t be necessary, I’ll take care of her. I will leave Lucy here so that she can go to the hospital with the other girls. I don’t want to give her special treatment. If I did then whoever is behind this could realize that she is a valuable hostage. There were five guards and they are all secured up on the second floor.” Superman stood up and cradling Lois in his arms said, “We’ll stop by and give you our statements later. By the way, you’ll find Mayson Drake in one of the rooms upstairs. I overheard a statement by one of the guards that she was kidnapped because of the work we did on the prostitution rackets a while ago. It was a revenge move by someone they called The Boss.”

“There’s no rush about the statements, so take your time. The Boss huh? Sounds like what happened a few years ago. After Lex Luthor died in that attack during the White Orchid Ball we found that he had been behind the rackets here in Metropolis and he was called The Boss. I wonder …” After a few seconds contemplation he nodded in Lois’ direction as he added, “Take care of her. I told her a couple of days ago that I had a bad feeling about this case and I warned her to stay out of it. She just didn’t listen to me.”

As they had been talking the patrolmen had been entering the house.

Smiling, Clark replied, “Don’t feel too bad about that Bill. She doesn’t always listen to me either, besides, they had her sister. She has a mind of her own, but she didn’t do this deliberately. She couldn’t avoid this. She was targeted because we are partners. They were going to use her as leverage against me. If you don’t mind, I’m going to take Lois home.”

“No, I don’t mind. Thanks for your help.” Bill was distracted and turned away as the uniforms started bringing the hoods out in handcuffs. He turned back, but Superman was already gone. He nodded to himself and said, under his breath, “Really need to put a bell on him so that he can’t sneak away like that. Right, married man. Needs to take care of the little woman.” Out loud, addressing the patrolmen, “Did they have their rights read to them?”

The corporal looked at each private and receiving a nod from each replied to the Lieutenant, “Yes, Sir.”

Bill nodded and said, “Get ‘em outta here.” He called over another patrolman and said, “Stay with this one until she’s in an ambulance. I’ll wait with the rest for the ambulances.” He turned and entered the house to wait.

And Now:

Chapter 06 – Jack
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 - Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Clark flew Lois to the farm and put her on a lounge chair in the sun. He grabbed the phone and called Mr. Olsen at the Planet.

“Daily Planet, James Olsen.”

“Mr. Olsen, it’s Clark. I have Lois here with me. The police just broke up the ring that has been kidnapping girls.”

“They did?!?!? What about Lucy? Was she one of the kidnapped girls? Did they find her?”

“Yes, she’s safe. She needed to go to the hospital because she had been drugged.”

The relief in his voice was very apparent as he said, “That’s tremendous news!” Then like any true editor he asked, “How soon can I expect to see your copy?”

He looked over at Lois and said, “I’ll try to get you the main story shortly. The real inside story will have to wait. You see that part is Lois’ to tell and she isn’t quite up to telling it right now.”

Worry back in his voice he asked, “What do you mean by that? Where is she? Is she okay?”

Reassuringly Clark replied, “She’s right here and she’ll be okay. We’ll be out of touch for a few hours. Could I ask you check on Lucy in the hospital?”

“Sure, I’d be happy to. Are you sure she is okay?” He asked.

“Positive. She just needs some rest, to recover from the sedatives they administered.”

“What about Lois?”

“They chloroformed her. She just needs some rest.”

"Okay, get the main story to me and then we’ll see you later.”

Clark said, “Thanks,” before he hung up. He grabbed the laptop from their office in the house, typed up the story and e-mailed it to Mr. Olsen.

After returning the laptop to the office he went upstairs and grabbed one of Lois’ bikinis and after stuffing it, some towels and casual clothes for himself in a backpack picked Lois up and flew to Hawaii. Landing on ‘their’ beach he spread the towels and at superspeed stripped her, put her bikini on her and lay her down on her towel in the sun. She hadn’t stirred since she had collapsed in the kitchen. He spun out of his Suit and into a pair of swim trunks before he lay down on his towel next to her.

Several hours later Lois roused and did a lazy stretch as if she were just waking up from a good night’s sleep. She looked up and saw some very familiar cliffs stretching up into the blue sky. Memory came flooding back. The memory of the pain, the pain she was no longer feeling. She looked around and saw the sand and then her eyes locked on Clark’s brown orbs which were staring at her. She said, “I guess I succeeded. Thanks.”

With a look of pure adoration in his eyes he replied, “Thanks?”

“I couldn’t have done it without you. When I thought I couldn’t go on I reached down and found a connection to you and I drew on your strength. It’s what got me through.”

“I wish it had been me and not you. I hated to see you go through that. Please don’t put me through that again.”

Rolling up on her side and propping her head on her hand she said, “It isn’t like I planned it that way. If I had my druthers, I’d never go through that again. I have to say I have a greater appreciation for what you went through in that mugging.” She leaned over and gave him a kiss. “My husband.”

After leaning in and capturing her lips in another kiss he said, “My wife. I didn’t want you in that situation. What am I going to do with you?”

With an arched eyebrow and a little grin she replied, “Do I really have to give you a suggestion?”

Just then a canoe rounded the point and approached their section of beach. Seeing this Lois stood up and started packing their things. Before they came close enough to get a good look Lois grabbed the bag, Clark spun into his Suit and picking up Lois they soared into the air.

She sent, /”Well, so much for ‘our’ beach. Thanks for putting a bikini on me, at least I wasn’t nude. Now the word will get out that Superman uses it and it won’t be private any longer.”/

/”We’ll just have to find somewhere a little more private. Next stop, Smallville.”/

/”What about Lucy?”/

/”She’s going to be in the hospital overnight so we don’t have to worry about her.”/

Early the next morning they went by the hospital. Lucy and all of the girls that had been kidnapped had been kept overnight for observation because they had all been drugged. When they arrived each of the girls was being interviewed by a detective.

Needless to say, Lucy was happy to see them. She had just finished giving her statement to Detective Danny Clover. As Lois walked up she said, “Detective Clover, nice to see you again.”

“Oh, hi Ms. Lane. I take it that this is your sister.”

With a smile Lois asked, “Yes, she is. Has she been giving you a hard time?”

Detective Clover laughed and replied, “I may have to take her in for obstruction of justice.”

With a shocked expression Lois asked, “Really, why?”

“Even though I have her name she keeps giving me a false address. I need her local address in case I need to follow-up and also so that I can pick her up if she consents to a date.”

With a sheepish look Lucy said, “Really? Actually, I’m already seeing someone.”

“What does he have that I haven’t got?”

“Well, let’s see, he’s a multi-millionaire, he owns the Daily Planet, need I go on?”

“I guess not. You lost me at multi-millionaire. Oh well, you can’t blame a guy for trying.”

Clark said, “She really wasn’t giving you a bogus address. She *is* living in Kansas, with her sister and me.”

Detective Clover finally looked at Clark and realized just who he was. His jaw dropped and he said, “She lives with you and … and … “

“Yes, and her sister, Lois Lane so you see, she really isn’t obstructing justice.”

Detective Clover stuttered, “I didn’t really ... I mean it was just, uh, yes, uh, okay. Anything you say.” He closed his notepad and put it away. “Thank you for your time Ms. Lane.”

Lois and Lucy both answered at the same time, “Don’t mention it,” and then they both broke out in laughter.

Lois said, “Oh, right, you meant Lucy, sorry.” She thought to Clark, /”Let’s get out of here before it gets any more awkward.”/

Clark said, “Uh, right, well, we have to go, uh, to the Planet, we ah, we need to get to work.” Turning to Lois and Lucy he said, “Shall we?”

Both girls nodded their heads and arm in arm started for the door with Clark bringing up the rear.

As they started to walk, Lucy said, “James was here until Detective Clover arrived then he had to get to the Planet.”

Just as they got into the hallway and turned left toward the elevators, behind them they heard a female voice call, “Clark!”

All three turned at that hail and saw Mayson Drake and Daniel Scardino coming toward them.

Lois sent, /”Let me handle this.”/

He sent back, /”Please do.”/

Lois said, “Mayson, fancy meeting you here and Agent Scardino. I see that you are still together.”

Mayson glanced at Daniel and smiled, “Yeah, we are." Turning to Clark she said, "I understand that I have you to thank for saving us.”

Daniel spoke up, “Yeah, I need to add my thanks. As soon as Mayson recovered from the chloroform she called me. They wanted to keep her overnight, just in case. I appreciate you rescuing her.” He held out his hand.

Clark took the offered hand and said, “Don’t mention it. It was my pleasure, besides; they had Lois and her sister too.”

Mayson looked back and forth between the Lane sisters and said, “I can see the resemblance.” She offered her hand to Lucy and said, “Hi, my name is Mayson Drake. Your sister and I are old friends.”

Lucy took the offered hand and said, “Lucy Lane, pleased to meet a friend of Lois’.”

Seeing and hearing this exchange spoke volumes to both Lois and Clark. Mayson had forgiven Clark and Lois for what had happened. The supposition was that the blossoming relationship with Scardino was the answer.

Mayson turned to Lois and Clark and said, “Daniel and I are going to Travaglini’s for lunch. Can you guys join us?”

Clark answered, “Thanks for the invitation, but we have to get in to the office so that Lois can write up the stories of her and Lucy’s capture. If you wouldn’t mind, if you have some time later we’d like to interview you as well. By the way, when you do we will fill you in on what we overheard.”

Her interest piqued Mayson looked at Dan and asked, “Want to come with me to the Planet? You’d probably like to hear the details as well.”

Dan nodded his head and said, “Wild horses couldn’t keep me away.”

Turning back to Clark, Daniel said, “Okay, we’ll see you after lunch.” He took Mayson’s hand in his they started down the hall along with Lois, Clark and Lucy. When they all exited the elevator they headed their separate ways.

On their return, as they were exiting the elevator, a police scanner in the newsroom announced a robbery in progress at Tenth and Bayview. Lois looked at Clark and he gave a nod. Seeing this, Lucy headed for her desk while Lois threw the strap of her bag over her head and headed back up the ramp. Carrying it that way had enabled her to have the lead she needed to neutralize the Kryptonite after all so she was thinking she just might start carrying it that way all the time. Together they headed for the stairwell.

Less than a minute later, Superman and Lois landed next to Detective Clover, Superman addressed him, “My, Detective Clover, you do seem to get around. Is there anything I can do to assist?”

Turning to him he said, “Oh, hi Superman. Nah, not now. It was a petty theft. I’m not even sure that the victim will press charges. It was just a kid. The kid really looks like he’s had a rough life.”

This story sounded familiar to Clark and he asked, “Would it be possible for me to see the kid?”

Detective Clover said, “He’s over there in the middle of that group.”

Superman and Lois headed over toward the small crowd that had gathered around. The spectators made way for them. When they did the couple recognized the kid involved. It was Jack in the custody of a uniformed policeman. Superman addressed the victim, “Sir, could you tell me just what happened?”

“Certainly Superman, this lad tried to pick my pocket. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for him, he’s not very good at it. I caught him in the act.”

Superman turned to Jack and asked, “Son, why did you do this?”

His sullen reply was, “I was hungry. Needed some money to buy food.”

The victim indignantly said, “There are organizations that are set up to feed the homeless. Why not go there instead of trying to pick pockets?”

The sullen reply was simply, “Can’t”

Superman turned to the victim and asked, “Sir, if this young man apologized and promised to mend his ways, could you see your way clear to not press charges?”

The older man looked on Jack with pity in his eyes, “I would hate to see a kid start on a life of crime and if he is sent to a juvenile facility that is just what could happen. If I could have some assurance that he will not do this again, I won’t press charges.”

Superman replied, “I will take it upon myself to assure you that he will not do anything like this again. I think I can help him turn his life around and make him a productive member of society.”

“Well, Superman, if you can do that, you have my blessing. He’s all yours.”

“Thank you, sir. Lois and I will take it from here.” He turned to Jack and said, “We have a date at the Daily Planet. I want you to go with Lois and I’ll meet you back there.” Turning to Lois he said, “I’m going to do a quick patrol and meet you back at the office.” Mentally he sent, /”He’s just like Jack in the other universe. We need to help him. I bet his brother Denny is around here somewhere. I’m going to find him. Once I do I’ll bring him with me.”/

Lois nodded her head and turning to Jack said, “Okay, you heard the man. Let’s go. We just might be able to put you to work so that you earn an honest living. What’d’ya say?”

Jack replied, “That would be nice. I never liked stealing anyhow. It’s just …”

As Lois hailed a passing cab she said, “I know, probably more than you want me to. You don’t need to say any more about that. Don’t worry you’ll be back if you need to be. Here’s a cab. Let’s get in.”

They climbed in and Lois gave the Planet as their destination and the cab pulled away with a screech of its wheels.

Lois tried in vain to engage Jack in conversation while they were on the way to the Planet. She knew about Denny and figured that Jack was probably worried about his little brother. She hoped that Clark could find him and find him quickly so that at least that anxiety would be removed from Jack. He was in a bad enough situation already without that worry hanging over him.

Jack sat, sullenly on the far side of the seat against the door. He considered opening the door and bolting when the cab came to a stop at a light. There were a couple of things that kept him from doing just that. He thought to himself, <How could I outrun Superman? If he came after me I don’t see how I could get away. This lady, I think he called her Lois, she’s sure pretty and she seems really nice, but what’s going to happen to Denny? He’s expecting me back before long. I hope he doesn’t start to worry and break cover. If he gets picked up they could separate us. I guess the best plan is to cooperate and get this over as quickly as possible so that I can get back to him. He’s just a kid and he might do something stupid.>

<I am going to need to shoplift some food or check some dumpsters on the way back. Wow, how far are we going? On foot it’s going to take me a long time to get back to Denny.>

<Why would Superman be offering a kid like me a job anyhow? What can he get out of it? What does he have up that blue sleeve of his? He doesn’t know me. How does he know he can trust me? If this is legit it could be okay. I have heard that he does a lot for kids. Maybe this could work out after all. I’ll have to wait and see what he says.”>

Finally the cab pulled up in front of the Daily Planet and they got out. After Lois paid the fare they headed inside.

After they got to the news floor she led him down the ramp and said, “This is my desk. Have a seat. I’d like to get to know you better.” She started using her well honed interview techniques to draw information from him without him really suspecting how much he was divulging. She used her knowledge of the Jack in her universe to guide her questions. The parallels were amazing. She knew that there had to be similarities, but the amount of duplication was surprising.

Lois kept Jack talking until she heard Clark’s heartbeat and the elevator ascending. There was another heartbeat with him. From the speed and tone she could tell it was a child and she smiled to herself as she realized that Clark had succeeded in locating Denny.

Jack noted her smile, but didn’t have the faintest notion as to its meaning until she said, “I think you will be having a visitor in a minute.”

Her statement confused him. How would anyone know where he was to come and visit? Who would want to visit him anyhow?

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/29/14 02:25 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj