Kal-El awoke, thrilled to the energy that coursed his body. He was alive, his body thrummed with the great power that this world's sun gifted him. He wanted to test these powers out, especially flight, but he didn't dare do so. He couldn't risk upsetting the Earth people. He didn't want them to feel he took pleasure in abilities that had been used to overtake their world and cause them so much suffering.

He was sure that part of his exultation came from the stark difference between living daily with the red radiation poisoning and suddenly being free of it. This was a gift - a gift from all those who had made the decision to trust him – LL included, and he wouldn't ever risk tarnishing that gift. He would honor the givers by giving them what they needed. They needed to believe they had all the control, and using his powers, even for harmless fun, would take that feeling away.

He looked through the door and saw the four doppelgangers gathered – they appeared to be drinking something. He wasn't sure if he should join them, but they had been very welcoming yesterday – and he knew that this was his first test of courage. Facing Lois would be difficult every time he did it, but if she could steel herself to bear his presence, he could do no less – he couldn't be afraid of her fears.

“Good morning,” he told them as he emerged. He was wearing earth styled clothing after having taken care of his body's needs and cleansing himself in the 'shower'.

“Good morning,” they all responded, almost in unison. It was a strange experience coming from a set of identical couples. Especially given that he was also identical to the men.

“Want some coffee,” asked Clark. “I made it, so you have nothing to fear.”

“Enough of on my coffee, Clark,” Lois chided him. “I remember the old days when you drank it without complaint.”

“Why do you think I always offered to make it? Besides, I couldn't risk losing your hard won friendship...”

She laughed and shook his head.

“The sad part is, he's right. It is bad. I love not having to drink it anymore. What about you, Lois, can you cook -or make a decent brew?”

“I live in Metropolis,” Lane answered confidently. “I don't need to cook. And... let's just say that I let Clark do the things he does best – it's how a good relationship works.”

They continued to joke back and forth as Clark handed him a mug of something that was clearly hot from the steam rising.

“This contains a substance called caffeine that is supposed to help people stay alert,” Clark told Kal conversationally. “It doesn't hurt us any.”

Kal took it seriously, thanking him, feeling overly formal in front of his easy going doppelgänger. Clark grinned at his words of gratitude and clapped a hand on his arm, his voice and manner easy as he told him 'No problem'. He got the distinct feeling that Clark found his stilted formality somewhat amusing.

“We wondered if you wanted us to talk with you about our experiences here,” Kent offered. “We could fill you in on the lay of the land – how we have managed to keep away from people for the most part. It's possible not to stay cooped up in these rooms and still avoid encountering anybody unwittingly. “

“I would appreciate that. I do not know what I should do next and the way my life has been, that is an uncomfortable position for me to be in.”

“I suppose as the intended leader, your life was always about routine,” Lois remarked, her gaze thoughtful and not at all fearful.

“I did have a chance to be free as a child,” he answered her. Then he regretted his poor choice of words. Free. When she had been a slave. When this world had been enslaved.

“I'm glad to hear that, “ she smiled, her gaze sympathetic. Kal-El realized that Lois knew exactly what he'd been thinking without the help of telepathy.

“Are you hungry?”

Kal-El considered it.

“I am not. Perhaps the sun of this world also provides my body with the nutrition it needs?”

“It does. However if you want food, just say so. Please don't worry about expressing your needs to us,” Clark said. “We are the one group of people you can be yourself around.”

“Thanks for including me in that,” Lois spoke, answering Kal-El's silent thoughts once again. “You shouldn't worry about me either, Kal-El. Just be aware that sometimes... I have difficulties. If you can deal with it, I can deal with it.”

He gazed at her a long moment, wondering how she was projecting so much ease. He knew if they were alone together she might have more difficulties, but with the two Clarks here, she likely felt safe. Of course she had indicated that she trusted him enough to suggest accepting his help without keeping him poisoned, so perhaps her calm demeanor was truly genuine.

“Why don't we tell you the story of how we came here and what we've experienced. Then we can talk about how to navigate the present. Does that sound like a good plan?”

“Yes,” he agreed, grateful that there was a plan. He hadn't wanted to suggest 'order' because of who he was – the progenitor of a vicious overlord... he was relieved to see that these four were as focused to a task as he himself would be.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence