Pulitzer
comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aha! Caught up with the technology of the 21st Century I see:
Before they exited STAR Labs, Hattie pulled out her earpiece and put it on. She tapped it and heard, "Say a command."
No more walkie-talkies for Kaplan and Olsen, it is a clever way to remind us where we are in the stream of the LnC Universe. My getting a cab is so much easier in 2020!

Hattie was anxious, still keyed up from her experience, and couldn’t sit down. She started pacing in front of Cardona’s desk as she fumbled around in her bag. Finally getting a grip on herself, she stopped pacing and put her bag on the corner of his desk. She delved into it, pulled out the report prepared by Doctor Klein and passed it over. She said, "Here, read this."
Reading this I thought about so many women who live out of their briefcases. It doesn't matter how many cool devices we have to cut down on paper, we still have lots of stuff to carry. Hattie carries on that proud tradition!

Looking around at the assembly, Lois noted Peter Parker, the sketch artist near the back. She hoped that he lived up to his reputation and turned in some good drawings.
LOL!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

I did go back and correct the Walkie-Talkie bit. They are using cell phones. thumbsup

I see that you caught the Peter Parker addition. clap

From 1937 to 1952 there was a radio program called “Big Town”. Originally Edward G. Robinson starred as Steve Wilson – Managing Editor of the Illustrated Press. Claire Treavor played Lorelei Kilbourne. It was a DC comic for 50 issues from 1951 to 1958. There were also 4 movies and TV for 4 years. peep

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“At the last second I realized there was someone there and I ducked. He still clipped me, but not as hard as he intended. I was only stunned for a few seconds. When I came to he was talking and I recognized his voice. It wasn’t who I thought it would be.”

“Who was it?”
Say,*what?* So, it isn't Jack Crane? dizzy That's where all the evidence is pointing, right? If it isn't him, who is it? That new editor at the Met Star? Peter Parker? Bobby Bigmouth? Batman? (Okay, I was only joking about that last one; I'm betting he's older than Lois by this point, but he *is* a grumpy old man I bet.) I'm totally confounded on who it could be.

I was wondering what all that information about the Met Star was about, unless you were introducing them here for use in a future story. I am a little surprised that the DP doesn't have another reporter available to cover the trial, so that Lois has to, or is this just because she will be called as witness as UW?

Why did you change from prose to script format towards the end of this part? confused

I was also confused by this line:
Before they exited STAR Labs, Hattie pulled out her earpiece and put it on. She tapped it and heard, "Say a command."
I was wondering why she pulled it out of her ear and then put it back in. huh It took me a couple of readings for me to realize you meant that she had taken it from her bag. (I'm not really a Bluetooth user, so I was a bit unfamiliar with what she was doing anyway.)

JJ is the strong silent type, isn't he? He doesn't say a word, take her hand in the back of the car to help calm Hattie down, or do anything of note. If Hattie hadn't kept mentioning that he was with her, I wouldn't have realized he was there at all until he started speaking at MPD HQ.

Why didn't UW tell the police that there had been a bombing / attempted murder on Main and Eighth? It does make me wonder if that's the Supers' M.O. Take care of something, but not report it to the police. If so, it would make Mayson Drake's dislike of Superman's vigilantism in S2 more understandable.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the FDK!

Not Jack Crane? Who else could it be? Who do you think she thought it was? I don’t remember Hattie saying just who she thought the bomber is.

I thought that the change in style for the court scene would be a nice change of pace.

I think that Hattie was keeping her Bluetooth earpiece in her bag until she needed it. Good thing too, since she was assaulted and it could have been lost.

Give JJ a break. He was really hit and is undoubtedly suffering from at least a mild concussion. Hattie should be holding his hand, in stead she is dragging him to STAR Labs. No rest for the weary, but he is going along with it because they have to solve this case.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Unfortunately I was interrupted and was not able to finish my comments. So without further ado or delay:

Lois Lane, at age 60, was still an extremely attractive woman and constantly turned heads. On the first day of the trial she wore a smartly tailored gray pantsuit which rather than conceal her womanly figure, complimented it. She wore a cream colored shell with a modest neckline under the jacket with a single strand of pearls. The gray of the suit matched the sprinkling of gray at her temples which didn’t detract from her beauty in the slightest; in fact it lent an air of distinction to her presence. The men in the courtroom all had their eyes on her as she moved, with stunning grace to a seat just behind the prosecution and took out her notepad and pencil.
Bravo! Women of a certain age deserve acknowledgement. It sounds like being in Clark's aura has slowed down her aging considerably. still, burgundy would suit Lois' coloring much better than gray. Just my opinion.

On the other hand, I thought that being Ultra Woman would REALLY slow down her aging. Like a year for every two. In which case gray hair doesn't make an appearance for at least another twenty years!

Again, just my opinion.

The Defense attorney, Mr. Jacobs, was a hot shot youngster eager to make a name for himself as a defender and was willing to do whatever he could to win. During discovery he had been given access to the State’s evidence and knew that this was really a lost cause as far as his client was concerned. His only option was to try to introduce some doubt in the minds of the jurors.
Mr. Jacobs, you don't have a snowball's chance in a volcano!

Neatly done Ken! Oh, thanks for the information about the Radio Show Edward G. Robinson was on. I used to love to listen to replays of Mr. District Attorney, Fibber McGee and Molly and Gangbusters with my parents! Ah, the Golden Age of Radio!

Come on Friday!!!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

This is an unexpected treat! A second installment of an FDK!

Yes, I also am a fan of the golden age of radio. I have about a hundred gigs of MP3 of old radio shows. Since they are now public domain I decided to take some liberties. I think that Steve and Lorelei could pop up in future Hattie stories as rivals. Inspector Cardona - he's from "The Shadow". In other stories I have used Muggervan - Dragnet. Detective Clover and Sgt. Tartaglia - "Broadway is my Beat". I have been toying with the idea of using Casey from "Crime Photographer". Lots of fun.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard