“Let's talk logistics. Where should Kal-El reside,” LL snapped briskly re-entering the room as if she owned it.

The others turned to her – and she nearly buckled under another overwhelming wave of terror like the one that had sent her rushing out of the room in the first place. Too many damned Kryptonians. To many Kal-Els. She fought against visceral reaction, and swallowed back nausea. She forced herself to appear calm, but the buzzing in her ears threatened to drive her to her knees. She fixed her gaze on Kal-El defiantly. She would win this. It wasn't the same as successfully defying the monster that had tortured her for so long, but it was as close as she would ever be able to come even if she knew that Kal-El had been as much a victim of his people as she had. Kal-El returned her gaze, and she saw the compassion in his eyes. She forced herself to keep looking at him, wanting nothing more than to run away and not have those pitying eyes regarding her. She almost thought his pity was worse than his clone's menace. Almost.

“He's welcome to stay with us,” Lois spoke, hoping to rescue LL from a panic attack. She could see how rigidly LL stood and knew she was in the grip of something awful. She knew that the other woman's rapid departure from the room had been driven by terror, and she knew that LL would do anything to keep the others from knowing it. Despite her lingering anger about having taken LL's place, she wanted to protect the other woman. She seemed so fragile and lost under all the bluster.

“Really? You can honestly say that wouldn't bother you?”

Lois regarded Kal-El. She felt absolutely no menace from him now that she believed he wasn't dangerous. And she did believe it. The path had been paved for her through her journey into trusting Clark. Even if Kal-El was dangerous, and she was obviously willing to bet her life he wasn't, she knew Clark and Kent would protect her.

“No. I wouldn't be bothered,” she told Kal-El directly. “Not by you, although I do sometimes... well, you saw. I can sometimes forget. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings -”

“You shouldn't apologize for that,” LL cut in harshly.

Lois stopped speaking, unable to reply politely. Right now she wanted to snap at LL and tell her it was none of her business. Because it was her business. This was more LL's business than Lois's.

“Do you accept this,” LL challenged Kal-El. “It's hardly the regal luxuries you'd come to expect.”

“I am grateful for the offer,” Kal-El answered calmly, his gaze steady and even on hers. He knew that LL hated him, and making eye contact with him was anathema to her – but it wasn't his way to avoid eye contact. He was what he was – a man born to lead... to rule, and he couldn't change his mannerisms over night, even if he knew it would be best to avoid looking at her head-on. He had to keep reminding himself to these earth people, even a Kryptonian's gaze could turn into a horrifying fiery death.

“Are you sure about this,” Kal-El asked Lois. He knew she was forcing herself towards normalcy around him. She obviously wanted him at his ease. She felt badly for him – he'd felt it in their link. In fact, even LL saw him as a victim in their link. It was unfortunate that outside the link she kept seeing him as her tormentor. The look in her eyes... it … sickened him. It drove him to despair. To see the lurking terror... the memories, some of which he'd been forced to relive... he wanted to apologize, to – to win this battle and lay the victory down at her feet, as a penance – as something – just to win a smile from her – because he'd seen that smile when honestly meant – on Lane's face and even Lois's and he'd been drawn to them in ways he couldn't even explain. He couldn't want – more with her. His unsettling urge to make LL happy had to be a desire to right the wrong he had done her by allowing himself to fall prey to those who had committed treason against him. And even if it was something else - he could never let those feelings out.

“I am sure.” Lois smiled, and he felt it again. That pull. That awful empty yearning.

“And what of you,” he asked the others.

“If Lois is fine with it, so am I,” Lane asserted.

The other Kal-Els assented as well, their manner as easy and welcoming as Lane and Lois. Kal-El marveled at how human his doppelgängers were.

“This does represent a security issue.”

“In what way,” Lois asked, knowing she should be the liaison to LL whenever possible. LL had no reason to hate or fear her.

“You aren't from here. And he's … on … probation, I guess.”

“What would make you feel secure? Surveillance devices perhaps?”

LL shuddered.

“No...”

“If it would, don't feel as if you can't do it,” Lois urged. “I know it's … “

“No. I either trust that you all have good intentions, or I don't. I can't delay or threaten our plans by putting roadblocks in the way.”

“Well I'd be happy to live with them,” Lex said, finally breaking his long silence. He knew LL saw herself as leader and he indulged her, but he insisted on being a part of the high level meetings. He would not be made irrelevant.

“I would not be happy with that,” Lois said firmly. “I'd prefer surveillance devices.”

“Even if I was the one watching them?” Lex's tone was mocking as he appraoched her.

“Leave her alone,” Lane snapped, coming over to step in between Lex and Lois. “If you mess with her, I guarantee you're messing with me.”

“Maybe you should call off your wife,” Lex challenged Kent.

“Is that the kind of relationship you had with your ex-wives?” Kent's tone with challenging. Lex refused to back down.

“How do you know I have ex-wives? This world is different from yours. Things that happened where you come from haven't exactly happened here, or do you think in time we'll be privy to another interspecies wedding?” He let his gaze flick between LL and Kal. LL paled, and Kal-El dropped his gaze, hoping to put her at ease, even if it was in defiance to his instincts as ruler.

“I think you're trying to see how far you can push me,” Lane snapped angrily.

“Stop all this,” LL spoke, taking control of the conversation. “Lex, your advice is valuable, but I am not going to stand silent while you engage in pointless taunting. We have a job to do and we won't accomplish it by being childish.”

“I seem to recall a few outbursts from you when these four first showed up.”

“Yes. I did wallow a lot in hostility. I admit that – but I've tried to move past that behavior. We can't succeed if all we do is vent our anger at our invaders on those who just look like them. We have to take the advantage we have and use it in the best way possible.”

“You mean use 'him'. Lord Kal. You are the rightful leader of your species. How do you feel being referred to as a mere tool?”

“It is preferable to the alternative,” Kal said, his tone even and steady. He didn't like this man at all, and he was angered at the way Lex kept trying to upset LL and Lois – but Lane had it under control, and he knew that any anger on his part would be upsetting to everyone . He had to stay calm.

“So it's settled then,” Lois asked. “Kal-El stays with us?”

“Just don't get confused about who's sleeping with who,” Lex added one final taunt, loving the way Lois grew suddenly pale at the idea.

“Yes,” LL said. “It is a good plan. Truthfully his presence will upset so many people the way yours has done, that it makes sense to keep you all together.” She winced inwardly at how rude that sounded but she didn't want to apologize. “We will not put surveillance cameras in. If you wished to betray us, you'd be able to do it regardless. I hope you don't regret your offer, Lois. If at any time you find this living arrangement not to your liking, please feel free to tell me. I want you to feel safe.”

Lois nodded.

“Kal-El does not make me feel threatened.”

Kal-El looked at her, his expression filled with gratitude and admiration. LL saw this and felt a shaft of jealousy. Violently she tamped it down.

Last edited by L; 04/24/17 01:06 PM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence