OP Offline
Pulitzer
comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hattie stills amazes me! But JJ is the prize here!

He was always comfortable with her, much more so than anyone, other than his cousins. She and he would tease each other, but Hattie never teased him about the one thing that really bothered him, his weight. As a child and young teen JJ had had a weight problem and between that and his flame colored hair he was a ripe target for all of the bullies in school. That poor self image was the reason that JJ had never asked Hattie out on a date.
That explains why he seems to hold back and let Hattie take the reins.

It had torn him up when he had gone away to college and then when he went to another city to work at the Gazette he had almost given up hope of seeing her again. When Aunt Lois had contacted him with the job offer, the idea that he would be returning to Metropolis and seeing Hattie again he couldn't accept the offer quickly enough and then when he was told that they would be partnered, he was in seventh heaven. It was simply a dream come true. He was still pinching himself.
Uh JJ, there is this really nifty gadget, its called a phone ....

Setting her bag on the ground, she and JJ both knelt down next to the manhole cover, one on each side. There were holes in the cover just large enough for them to slip their fingers in. He said, “Let me.” He managed to raise the manhole cover and set it aside. Hattie actually didn’t contribute too much to moving the plate. She was distracted, watching the play of the muscles of his arms and abs when he moved the heavy steel plate, making it look like it was nothing at all. A fleeting thought crossed her mind, <And he’s not from the Kent side of the family. He had to work for this.>
I'm so glad she appreciates him! At least it didn't take years for her to come to that conclusion. Kam-El is nice, but JJ is more her speed.

Now, about Ms. Kaplan ....

Thinking her unconscious her assailant spoke and she heard, “It’s a good thing for me I got here early tonight. I might not have known that I had been found out. I could have walked right into a trap. Such a shame. Pretty girl like you putting your nose in where it doesn’t belong. Well, actually, this works out for me. They will find their bomber or at least what’s left of her. They’ll think she accidentally blew herself up while planting a bomb. This could complicate the plan. If the bombings stop now, the council might not vote for the bill, but I don’t see any other way.”
Not a smart move, talking when you think your victim is out like a light! confused
Duct Tape! She'll never get out in time! Time to call for Aunt Lois!

UUULLLTTTRRRAAA … WWWOOOMMMAAANNN!!!! HHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!! UULLTTRRAA WWOOMMAANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*”
Oh, she did!

It was cool to see you added Bernie Klein to the story, he is my favorite. Even more so than Dr. Emil Hamilton. Although here he seems to have a razor sharp memory! wink Since when does he remember guests at a wedding? Must have been a pretty special event. rotflol

The test for nitro was pure Klein, especially the 'the hands are quicker than the eyes' comment. He really was trying to make this easier for them to understand. Good thing, because I was a little lost by it. Nonetheless the experiment explains how Hattie and JJ got those headaches, but it neglects to explain how/why the nitro got on the card in the first place. Next installment?

All in all this has been another neat entry to the Hattie and JJ saga. They are too cute together!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

RE: I'm so glad she appreciates him! At least it didn't take years for her to come to that conclusion. Kam-El is nice, but JJ is more her speed.

Yes, she does. They have had a long standing relationship. She saw beyond the physical and learned early on to appreciate the person. That is always the best way to start a relationship. thumbsup

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Poor JJ. He's got it as bad for Hattie as Clark did for Lois. I wonder how her off-the-cuff remarks... er... mistaken remarks made JJ feel.

HATTIE: Well, it wasn't only his strength that made me think that he might have some Kent blood. It was all that floating he did down my hallway after he picked me up. wink

Come on, Hattie! You *didn't* tell UW what you'd be up to before hand or your suspect? mecry I'm hoping my new one will be better, faster, and stronger, so I no longer have any internet connectivity problems.>>

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the FDK!

I don’t know where you got the idea that his cousins picked on JJ. That was not the case. Why on earth would JJ want to spend as much time as possible with his cousins even if Hattie was there, if they were among those that teased him. confused

From the back story you can see that there was a relationship already formed and since he has now managed to improve his self-image he’s a little more forthcoming, a little more self-confident. thumbsup

If he noticed her slip he surely wouldn’t cast it up at Hattie. That would be crass. Besides, something like that would make him feel good. thumbsup

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KenJ:
I don’t know where you got the idea that his cousins picked on JJ. That was not the case. Why on earth would JJ want to spend as much time as possible with his cousins even if Hattie was there, if they were among those that teased him. confused
Oh, I see I must have mis-read the line, which Morgana quoted above:
He was always comfortable with her, much more so than anyone, other than his cousins. She and he would tease each other, but Hattie never teased him about the one thing that really bothered him, his weight.
First, was talking about Hattie and his cousins, then about teasing, and then how others teasing about his weight, which I thought went back to teasing he got from his cousins.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello VirginiaR!

I was wondering where that thought came from! Clark and especially Lois would never have allowed that to happen. Need we also not forget about Martha and Jonathan. Neither of them would let any grandkids of theirs get away with such teasing.

Sorry, just had to stick my two cents into the discussion. thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

I probably worded the passage poorly. It was supposed to be excluding his cousins and Hattie from those that teased him about his weight.

I know that sometimes cousins can be cruel to each other, but those associated with the Kent clan, because of the example that they set, are above that sort of thing.

If you go back and reread some of the earlier kids stories there are numerous mentions of the cousins being over.

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If you go back and reread some of the earlier kids stories there are numerous mentions of the cousins being over.
Yes, but there were also mentions about how much they liked how well they looked. (I particularly recall a line in the Jon & Jenn story about the Kent kids liking how good they looked in swimsuits, even the girls.) I could easily see JJ being a bit self-conscious around such well-formed and athletic kids, when he wasn't one.

Kids are cruel, so it was possible that some words were said when the parents weren't around, in what they thought was harmless teasing, but what didn't feel like that to JJ. Just because the parents threw them together all the time, didn't mean they always got along. If the Kent kids ALWAYS behaved (er... Lucy and the Hurricane story... Lucy and diving board story, so I guess not), it wouldn't just be realistic.

I was just teasing you, Ken. I knew that's not what you meant. wink

VirginiaR.
---
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Uh JJ, there is this really nifty gadget, its called a phone ....
Plus email, and facebook, and Skype and all sorts of other things. Being in a different city is no excuse.

Well, I guess maybe it makes a little more sense if Jimmy and Hattie have know each other for a while. They still seem to be rushing a lot, especially with Hattie being so demanding for flowers, and talking about "our children". That seems way premature.

I also still have to agree with Morgana. Dr. Klein would not remember wedding guests, that does not seem to be his style.

I didn't get the impression that it was JJ's cousins that teased him, but maybe you want to make it more clear that they were not the ones teasing him.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] If you go back and reread some of the earlier kids stories there are numerous mentions of the cousins being over.
Yes, but there were also mentions about how much they liked how well they looked. (I particularly recall a line in the Jon & Jenn story about the Kent kids liking how good they looked in swimsuits, even the girls.) I could easily see JJ being a bit self-conscious around such well-formed and athletic kids, when he wasn't one.

Kids are cruel, so it was possible that some words were said when the parents weren't around, in what they thought was harmless teasing, but what didn't feel like that to JJ. Just because the parents threw them together all the time, didn't mean they always got along. If the Kent kids ALWAYS behaved (er... Lucy and the Hurricane story... Lucy and diving board story, so I guess not), it wouldn't just be realistic.

I was just teasing you, Ken. I knew that's not what you meant. wink [/b]
When you have a father with Super-hearing, do you ever think "Dad is not around", or do you always act with the assumption he will hear you and scold you for going out of line?

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] Kids are cruel, so it was possible that some words were said when the parents weren't around, in what they thought was harmless teasing, but what didn't feel like that to JJ.
When you have a father with Super-hearing, do you ever think "Dad is not around", or do you always act with the assumption he will hear you and scold you for going out of line? [/b]
I meant when they were younger before they knew Dad had super hearing.

VirginiaR.
---
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

The answer to how the card had nitro on it is answered in my reply to Virginia in the 9/9 FDK.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard