OP Offline
Pulitzer
comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmmmm. It's like all the developments are happening off screen. Hey! That's not fair. Then how are we supposed to know what's going to happen next? That just makes it all suspenseful and stuff.

Hattie needs to work on her interpersonal skills. First, she's ordering Frank around and now having JJ getting her coffee. JJ seems not only smitten awfully quick, as does Hattie, he seems head over heels in love. Their first date seemed more like an evening of work instead of a "date" (I'm not counting the wedding), now she's teasing him about children and he isn't running for the hills? dizzy Most people allow their relationship to develop over time. Lois and Clark started off as partners, which grew into friendship, and then more (*FINALLY* Clark mutters in the background). Here, Hattie's telling her mom that she's dating her work partner after one not-really-a-date-date. If it goes south that's not going to do their work relationship any good. (I know you won't have their relationship go south, but still...)

Most people send flowers because they are pretty, not because the color symbolizes any certain sentiment. Pink roses from a suitor seems perfectly logical to me. Sure, red for love is well known, but not the other colors. Pink for "like" not "love", for "love-lite" makes sense to me. I always thought that scene in LnC where Lois destroys Clark's yellow roses and then complains he sent "yellow for friendship" was just plain rude. Not only does she destroy them (mistakenly), but then she insults Clark's gift. I've never heard of "pink means thank you" before so it makes sense that JJ hasn't either.

Not only did Hattie insult JJ for that, then she goes on to tell him he's uneducated because he doesn't know who Ike Clayton is. I don't know who he is either. I've heard of the "OK Corral" movie, but I haven't seen it. So, I feel just as insulted by Hattie as JJ should. Just because someone doesn't know certain trivial items from history that she knows, doesn't mean they are uneducated or that their school isn't up to par.

Hattie shouldn't be so rude, or there won't be a "third" date with JJ, let alone a new partner. Insulting your work partner is bad enough, but insulting your dating partner is another thing altogether. I wish JJ would stick up for himself a bit more. Hattie needs someone strong enough not to be a doormat around her, or he'll end up being insulted by her for life... not exactly a happily ever after for JJ. Right now, I'm not seeing what JJ is attracted to, and Hattie's losing points fast.

I'm glad Hattie finally got rid of that business card and used safety gloves to do so. She's finally using her head for more than headaches.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the FDK!

Well, what can I say. We need to straighten out a few things.

Hattie asked JJ to get her coffee partly to get him out of the conference room while she read a personal e-mail. thumbsup

As far as Hattie insulting JJ about Ike Clanton, I refer back to an earlier statement. They have known each other for years and this is simply some good natured teasing between friends of long standing. Don’t let the fact that they were only recently teamed up cloud the issue. He was only away because there was no opening at the Planet when he was available so he started at the Gotham Gazette. That was where he paid his dues, working his way up through the ranks, gofer, researcher, obits, entertainment and such until he was ready to move to a city desk. That was when Lois and Clark poached him from the Gazette. peep

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KenJ:
Well, as far as the color of the roses, there is a whole list of colors and what they stand for. Perhaps there is more than one list, but the one I looked at said that pink was ‘thank you’. thumbsup
But that's exactly my point. You *had* to look it up. It isn't something that most people know off the top of their head. (Other than a select few journalists.) Maybe the guy in the hospital actually DOES have a crush on Hattie and sent her pink roses to tell her he likes her and Hatti totally misconstrued the gift. wink

Hattie asked JJ to get her coffee partly to get him out of the conference room while she read a personal e-mail. [Wallbash]
Yeah, that's why it felt like she was treating him as the lessor partner, her assistant as opposed to her partner. Maybe he could be more Clark-like and offer to get her coffee, and she then takes the opportunity to check her e-mail.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As far as Hattie insulting JJ about Ike Clanton, I refer back to an earlier statement. They have known each other for years and this is simply some good-natured teasing between friends of long standing. Don’t let the fact that they were only recently teamed up cloud the issue. He was only away because there was no opening at the Planet when he was available so he started at the Gotham Gazette. That was where he paid his dues, working his way up through the ranks, gofer, researcher, obits, entertainment and such until he was ready to move to a city desk. That was when Lois and Clark poached him from the Gazette. twins

I don't remember much of what was included of Jon and Jenn's wedding regarding Hattie and JJ, but I don't recall it being overly specific either. I'm just trying to say, that the long standing familiarity isn't obvious, and it if it were, then it might soften up the teasing passages so they don't seem so harsh for two people who apparently just met the month before at a wedding and are now working together.

Also, a link at the bottom of the part to information about that guy -- Ike Clanton -- would be good for those of us who have been woefully under-educated.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Virginia,

You are really forcing my hand here. It looks like I am going to have to write more NextGen kids stories where there are activities at the Kent homestead with Hattie, JJ and his siblings included. Maybe a picnic with Lucy and Jimmy as well. evil

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finish this story first! laugh

Shaking her head she said, “I don’t know why, but ever since he started it’s like he’s afraid of me or something. Do I make unreasonable demands?”

“Well, you can be kinda … intense.”

“Now that I think about it, he didn’t start acting that way until the day Kam-El flew me into the bullpen after I fell off the building. Could that be it? Could he think I have an ‘in’ with the superheroes?”

Glancing around before speaking and then when he did, keeping his voice low JJ asked, “Well, don’t you
This exchange was cute, funny and let's the reader enjoy the insider jokes between the Kent, Kaplan and Olsen clan.

The e-mail exchange between Hattie and her Mom was very different. In this case, her life does not mirror Lois', she has a great relationship with her Mom. Reporters get their information from numerous sources which in some cases includes family. Like I wrote in my last comment, were the headaches caused by a neurotoxin?

She was looking at the flowers with a happy smile. “No, I am not in the habit, but I would like to be, that is if there was someone that wanted to send me flowers occasionally. It is rather nice, don’t you think? Now, of course, I’d prefer to get flowers from someone that I know.”

“But, we just started dating!”
Oh, JJ, the fun has just begun. You might as well start looking for a place to propose.

But personally I think they need to slow down just a tad. Everything does not happen that quickly in real life.

“Oh, yeah, I’ve heard of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral!” Suddenly what she had said hit him and with a startled expression he said, “Wait a minute! OUR KIDS? Our kids aren’t going to Jefferson? OUR KIDS?”
Hattie .... SLOW DOWN!!! Concentrate on the case.

Next part?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

Yes, Hattie and Lois come from extremely different backgrounds. Her parents are together and their relationship with their daughter is a very good one.

I think the next post will explain a lot of the rest.

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Hmmmm. It's like all the developments are happening off screen. Hey! That's not fair. Then how are we supposed to know what's going to happen next? That just makes it all suspenseful and stuff.

Hattie needs to work on her interpersonal skills. First, she's ordering Frank around and now having JJ getting her coffee. JJ seems not only smitten awfully quick, as does Hattie, he seems head over heels in love. Their first date seemed more like an evening of work instead of a "date" (I'm not counting the wedding), now she's teasing him about children and he isn't running for the hills? dizzy Most people allow their relationship to develop over time. Lois and Clark started off as partners, which grew into friendship, and then more (*FINALLY* Clark mutters in the background). Here, Hattie's telling her mom that she's dating her work partner after one not-really-a-date-date. If it goes south that's not going to do their work relationship any good. (I know you won't have their relationship go south, but still...)

Most people send flowers because they are pretty, not because the color symbolizes any certain sentiment. Pink roses from a suitor seems perfectly logical to me. Sure, red for love is well known, but not the other colors. Pink for "like" not "love", for "love-lite" makes sense to me. I always thought that scene in LnC where Lois destroys Clark's yellow roses and then complains he sent "yellow for friendship" was just plain rude. Not only does she destroy them (mistakenly), but then she insults Clark's gift. I've never heard of "pink means thank you" before so it makes sense that JJ hasn't either.

Not only did Hattie insult JJ for that, then she goes on to tell him he's uneducated because he doesn't know who Ike Clayton is. I don't know who he is either. I've heard of the "OK Corral" movie, but I haven't seen it. So, I feel just as insulted by Hattie as JJ should. Just because someone doesn't know certain trivial items from history that she knows, doesn't mean they are uneducated or that their school isn't up to par.

Hattie shouldn't be so rude, or there won't be a "third" date with JJ, let alone a new partner. Insulting your work partner is bad enough, but insulting your dating partner is another thing altogether. I wish JJ would stick up for himself a bit more. Hattie needs someone strong enough not to be a doormat around her, or he'll end up being insulted by her for life... not exactly a happily ever after for JJ. Right now, I'm not seeing what JJ is attracted to, and Hattie's losing points fast.

I'm glad Hattie finally got rid of that business card and used safety gloves to do so. She's finally using her head for more than headaches.
I have to say that I have never heard of Ike Clayton either. I really thought Hattie was over-reacting about that.

Actually, historically all roses were pink. It is a fairly recent innovation to have other colors. It actually seemed a bit demanding of Hattie to say "send red roses", that is often seen as a major sign, not something you demand of a guy.

I never got the impression that Lois insulted Clark for having sent her yellow roses. I thought it was just that she was convinced they were from the prankster, and I thought she seemed really contrite about wrecking them after she realized they were from Clark. I never got the impression she was made that he sent yellow and not red. I mean a few episodes later she stalls on responding to a date request, so sending red roses might have been a bit much. OK, probably he could have gotten away with sending her red roses at the end of The Fall of the House of Luthor, especially if he had not claimed that he had lied, but he didn't know that, so I see why he did, and I didn't get Lois was mad about it, just that she thought they were from the Prankster.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I never got the impression that Lois insulted Clark for having sent her yellow roses. I thought it was just that she was convinced they were from the prankster, and I thought she seemed really contrite about wrecking them after she realized they were from Clark. I never got the impression she was made that he sent yellow and not red. I mean a few episodes later she stalls on responding to a date request, so sending red roses might have been a bit much. OK, probably he could have gotten away with sending her red roses at the end of The Fall of the House of Luthor, especially if he had not claimed that he had lied, but he didn't know that, so I see why he did, and I didn't get Lois was mad about it, just that she thought they were from the Prankster.
Lois says something like "Yellow?" as in "Why yellow, Clark?"

And Clark replies "For friendship" and I got the feeling that she's implying from her expression that he should have sent something more romantic. Perhaps that was just me putting thoughts into her head that weren't there. But I sensed a non-verbal "Why not red?"

VirginiaR.
---
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi John,

Thanks for the FDK!

Actually, if you noticed, Hattie had never received flowers before so she would probably have appreciated any color.

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Some time ago I determined that with the way I write I needed to have my stories complete before I post even the first chapter. The only way I will not complete posting a story will be through an act of God.

My writing style does not lend itself to post as you go.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard