OP Offline
Pulitzer
comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I had forgotten that JJ and Hattie had known each other, through the Kents, since they were in middle school. I had gotten the impression that they had met at the wedding; I guess the correct term would be "re-met".

Looks like the investigation is developing. Robbins seems like a snake oil salesman, dripping crude on the carpet, and Jack Crane seems no better. What is it with Metropolis? It seems like business is just an excuse to mingle. LOL.

JJ and Hattie's relationship is moving quickly. But, then again, Hattie isn't as shy and reserved as Lois was. <<cough, cough>> Her treatment of her meeting with Kam-el, for example (Yes, I know that's another story).

Is Travaglini’s the only restaurant in town? Hattie had dinner there only... what... the night before with Lois? Maybe two days before? I, myself, could eat Italian food every night in a week, and still want more, but I'm weird that way. Most people like variety... okay, most city-folk like variety from 5-10 regular restaurants. I would think a restaurant that good would have a sizable waiting list, and yet, the DP crowd seems to get in and a table with no trouble. Do they know the owner or something?

Also, in the press conference scene, I got totally dizzy again. JJ was introduced as James Olsen (got that -- his professional name) but then you referred to him as "Jimmy" and I was like, whoa!, Jimmy's there too?
After he had walked out, Hattie turned to Jimmy. She was holding her hand up to her head as she said, “Wow. My head suddenly hurts and what do you make of this?” She motioned toward the podium, indicating the announcement.
I am curious about the "gas" outbreak (my guess) giving everyone headaches at the press conference. Is it because Robbins is a big airbag? huh And if the headaches weren't limited to just Hattie and JJ, wouldn't it be considered... oh... I don't know... newsworthy?

Great, now there are two mysteries in this story. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Our intrepid duo are back on the case, but wait to I sense the presence of an interloper?

Mr. Crane continued to hold her hand as he asked, “Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?”

“Hattie Kaplin, Daily Planet and this is my partner, James Olsen.”

He was still holding her hand as he glanced at JJ then back at her and asked, “Business partner, or … otherwise?”

She smiled and said, “So far, just business.”
Crane is just plain tacky!

Soto voce, JJ replied, “It seems to fit with the tip and it sure looks like it meshes with the bombings. Man, I think I need to get some aspirin. Suddenly I have a splitting headache. That’s weird! Why did we both get headaches at the same time?”
The pain is called Crane.

But seriously where did this headache, which seemed to have affected a number of attendees at the press conference come from?

Later that evening found Hattie and JJ at Travaglini’s. They were seated at an outdoor table with a candle in the neck of a Chianti bottle with wax of numerous colors dripped down the outside with a new string of red being added as the light breeze flicked the flame around.
A description like that is all about the romance to come....

In a dreamy tone she said, “Yeah, the next time.” She disappeared into her apartment. Closing the door, she leaned back against it for a few seconds. Coming to a sudden decision she whirled around and threw the door open, only to find an empty hallway. Disappointed she again closed her door, this time she threw the locks.
LOL! Not fast enough Hattie!

This is a nice set-up part. Hattie and JJ apparently had several good friends pushing them towards a relationship. So happy they avoided the angst that marked their uncle and aunt's relationship in its early days Now they have two problems: finding out who set off the bombs and what's causing those headaches...

Come on Friday!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the FDK!

Let’s see, yes, Hattie and JJ have known each other for quite a while, but JJ has been away for a few years working at the Gotham Gazette. thumbsup

RE:Travaglini’s, no, it’s not the only, just a favorite, plus it is near where all the action is. clap Actually, they depend on word of mouth advertising and even though the word does get around, so many people want to hang on to a good thing, that they don’t spread the word too much. The Daily Planet crowd are regulars. evil

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

RE: Crane is just tacky!

What do you expect from a politician?

Ahhhh, the headache! I hope we can find out soon.

RE: The romantic scene.

Well, what can I say? Hattie has known Lois for a lot of years at this point. I’m sure she and Lois have had some heart-to-heart talks about interpersonal relationships. I feel certain that Lois would have told her about all of the problems she ad Clark went through before they were finally able to get together.

As for the other thing, time will tell.

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Why does Hattie bother with bulky walkie-talkies. I would think it would be a lot easier to just talk on a cell phone. For that matter, couldn't she have a stop-watch app and so not have a separate stop watch as well. This may be set in about 2020, but the technology usage feels more like 1985.

Also, what is Hattie playing at with "I don't kiss on the first date", when she already kissed JJ once that day.

I am also surprised Hattie and JJ were not more proactive in investigating the possibility of an attack on the press conference.
I also thought Crane's question was a bit odd. If Kaplin and Olsen were police officers, would anyone ask if they were more than just work partners? It seemed incredibly rude at best, and I am shocked that Hattie dignified it with a response.

Well, what can I say? Hattie has known Lois for a lot of years at this point. I’m sure she and Lois have had some heart-to-heart talks about interpersonal relationships. I feel certain that Lois would have told her about all of the problems she ad Clark went through before they were finally able to get together.
Unless they had a deep talk in the last month, it is obvious that Lois has not told Lois all the issues, since a lot of those relate to CK=SM, but he is too much of a lunkhead to tell her before proposing. grumble

John Pack Lambert
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
John,

Well, you bring up some excellent points. I will have to address them in the archive version.

Thank you!

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
John,

I have gone back in and edited this chapter so that future readers will see more modern communications systems in use.

Thanks for the comment.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard