Next Thread
Print Thread
#9622 12/31/03 06:03 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Anne,

Just getting this started...back soon.

I think we all have to write a TOGOM, don't we? It's like a sickness. That said, I have such a fondness for them, and really liked what you did here.

It's clever and original. And your Lois is smart, doing that investigative thing that is so in character for her.

Loved the bit with the caller ID. The phone call to Jimmy with his dry "Yeah, I've stopped counting." And Lois' peptalk to herself before she gets out of the car. And the romance novel at the end, perfect.

So well written, Anne.

Last thing- this means I'm dense, and I hate to show it...but could you explain the title? It's obvious, isn't it? I just can't quite figure out how it ties in!

CC

edit- oooohhhh, wait. It just circled around and hit me on the back of the head. Wild Goose Chase, only this wasn't. Esssh...silly me. Nice title, Anne!

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#9623 12/31/03 06:37 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOl Cute twist on the story. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#9624 12/31/03 06:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Greenacres is the place to be...farm living is the life for me...sorry, that song is a sickness with me.

Whew, thanks for explaining the title, CC. It's so obvious now LOL.

Great bit at the end with the romance novel, Anne! Loved the story!
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#9625 12/31/03 06:46 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Geese seem to be a theme today -- pet geese and ducks on my other board, non-wild geese chases here . . . wink

Jen, that song keeps going through my head too!

Anne, this was a very clever twist! goofy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#9626 12/31/03 06:53 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Dangit...I got called away from the computer right after reading this, before I had a chance to post, which means that CC had a chance to post comments before I did. Which now gives me the opportunity to say "like CC said", and we still don't have an icon for that yet...

Anne, this was fabulous! thumbsup thumbsup You hooked me on the words "TOGOM rewrite", and totally reeled me in on
"It's him. It's got his style written all over it. Don't you see it?"
What a terrific idea! Like CC said wink , it's very original and very "Lois" to have her investigate. The bit with the caller-ID was great, that Lois stumbled upon it when she had wondered if it was indeed a wild goose chase after all.

And then they're together, *and* he's told her about S, *and* they've worked past that...

So you totally threw me for a loop when it became clear that they weren't going back to Metropolis. I had been sure that they would come up with some story, yet suddenly they're talking about moving to the West Coast and cutting Lois' hair... But with a proposal and the promise of being together thrown in there, I decided I could live with it.

And then the final zinger! rotflol I *loved* this -- and I never saw it coming! Absolutely terrific...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#9627 12/31/03 11:14 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Wow! I was all set with my safety shield [Linked Image] to avoid thrown veggies and I open this thread!! blush

Thank you for the wonderful comments.

Originally posted by CC Aiken:
Nice title, Anne!
It was my hubby who came up with it, actually. I will pass the message along.

And Jen, try living there. Yes, that's right. Greenacres, Florida really does exist and my parents still live in the house where I grew up. I just love Easter Eggs!! :rolleyes:

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#9628 12/31/03 12:34 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#9629 12/31/03 02:43 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
What a cute story! Makes you want pinch it's little... wait, wrong cute mode.

Seriously, I love it. I'd point out all the bits I liked, but everyone else pointed them out. And I *love* the ending, it's just too funny. Great story!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#9630 12/31/03 03:44 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Cute story. Good Lois. I like how she was able to put the pieces together when she couldn't let herself believe that Clark was actually gone. Just shows that Lois always was the smart one.

Welcome to the wonderful world of TOGoM.

Tank (who doesn't believe he has to mention the one particular part of the story that he found especially rewarding)

#9631 12/31/03 09:04 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Anne

A wonderful story! thumbsup
Very original and extremely well-written. clap

I love the ending and the title. jump

Thanks for sharing this great TOGOM rewrite. smile
I enjoyed it immensely.

Tricia cool

#9632 12/31/03 10:34 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I never expected Lois looking for Clark writing!!! laugh

smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#9633 01/01/04 01:06 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This was wonderful, Anne, and an astonishingly innovative twist to TOGOM. Who would have thought it possible, 1000 rewrites down the line? goofy

Lois' determination was great. Everyone's characterization, from Perry to Jimmy to Martha to Jonathan, was spot on. I admit I was surprised how unangry (if that's a word) Lois was when she finally confronted Clark, but her willingness to go elsewhere and start a new life together... happy sigh. smile

And then the twist ending! laugh Loved it, loved it! And yes, I would love to see a continuation of this. smile

Hazel, who can just picture the entire DP staff slowly relocating on the West Coast... laugh

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#9634 01/01/04 04:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooh! More TOGOM! That's never a bad thing and I liked this story. Lois was pretty clever to reconize the stories as Clark's style, and the initials. The trip to Smallville was sweet. And the discovery of the phone number was excellent. Glad she took the trip to Clark... it certainly paid out fine in the end.

Too bad they decided to move elsewhere and not go back to Metropolis. I'm sure they could have figured out a cover story. Like I'm sure Lois would want to prove Perry how right she'd been.

But it was a nice story overall. smile

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#9635 01/01/04 04:38 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just when you think all possibilities for TOGOM have been exhausted... goofy

This was superb, Anne! I, for one, am glad they didn't make up some cover story and end up back in Metropolis - I've read that story. <g> This was freshly original instead - wonderful stuff!

Loved the twist at the end too. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#9636 01/01/04 08:52 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hazel, who can just picture the entire DP staff slowly relocating on the West Coast...
laugh
Ooooh, cool!

/me checks stock in cabinets and freezer

Ok, bring 'em on!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#9637 01/01/04 05:35 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Anne, this was great! As others have mentioned, I didn't think there were any truly original twists left on TOGOM but you managed to find one. Never saw that coming, that they'd both adopt the fake names and start a new life together. Other fics have had them consider it, but no one has actually done it before! Wonder how Lois explained her disappearance to Perry? <G>

Oh, and I love how you brought it all back full circle with Jimmy showing Perry the book and Perry's parting line. Poor long suffering Perry, LOL.

And for the record, I thought the title was very clever -- great job! I love a good title and this definitely is one!

Kathy

#9638 01/04/04 05:06 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Anne,
I loved it
ditto others
original TOGOM

Happy New Year
merry

#9639 01/07/04 04:04 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Tank:
(who doesn't believe he has to mention the one particular part of the story that he found especially rewarding)
You don't really think that was by accident...do you? wink

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard