author's note: Lois and Clark are from the Long Strange Trip story. Kent and Lane are from the tv show canon and LL and Kal are from the current universe, the one which is under Kryptonian invasion. Hope this clears up confusion

Chapter 36

There are two of them. Impressive. They hid this well.

Kal-El and Zara were conducting a private meeting with two variations of Clark Kent, and three variations of Lois Lane. The 'new' Lois was very much at her ease, regarding him with friendly interest. The warm welcome in her gaze was painful to bear - it held the other two in such stark contrast. He never was one to take offense at a person not liking him, but to be around people who had been victimized by his own clone and to bear the brunt of their fear and anger - it was more than he had ever expected to endure. Yet as a leader, it was his duty. Even if it wasn't his clone who had done terrible things, he answered for all Kryptonians. His own failure to be careful had caused Earth great harm.

He dropped his gaze when he saw sudden sympathy enter hers. He hoped she hadn't read his thoughts.

“I hope you understand why we kept their existence a secret,” Zara explained, her tone cool. She hid her emotions well, but he knew that like two of the Lois Lanes, she had terrible memories of encounters with his clone.

Ching was absent – although he should have been here, Kal had yet to interact with him. Zara had explained the Lois who had been brought here from another world hated Ching because he was the one who took her to Kal's clone. Kal understood her feelings. If he faced Ching right now, he wasn't sure yet how he would react to such a heinous act, even if Ching purported to be attempting to safeguard Zara. Even if safeguarding Zara had greatly strengthened the resistance and saved lives. Soon, however, Ching would need to be brought in to talk to Kal and help craft a plan to reinstate Kal-El as the rightful ruler.

He was the rightful ruler and while they could never hope to win a physical battle against those who enjoyed being world-conquerors, Kal-El had the authoritative power to end the invasion. All he needed to do in the end was prove that he was really Kal-El and that he hadn't willfully given control to those who cloned him. There may be physical battles yet, but many would follow the true lord, reducing the number of traitors.

“If I was dangerous, having me unaware that there are two sets of doppelgangers gave you an advantage. I commend your caution.”

She nodded her thanks to him, her eyes cloudy with dark emotions.

“Perhaps formal introductions, now that you are fully healed?”

Kal was fully healed. It was incredible how this world made him feel. Earth's sun energized him, making it possible for him to do impossible things. However those impossible powers had been used for great evil in this world – and he felt uncomfortable enjoying his power when so many people had suffered horribly. He was also afraid of losing control around humans. He could not risk hurting anyone. Not even accidentally.

He quickly looked over at the Lois of his world. She tensed up hearing Zara's words and Kal knew she was afraid of what he would do now that he was no longer being kept weak.

He nodded to Zara, agreeing to her plan.

She spoke formally and introduced him to the four extra-universal people.

“I know you have already made the acquaintances of Lois Lane and Clark Kent,” she said, indicating the two he had interacted with. Lois gave him a quick smile and nodded a greeting. He was grateful for even that.

“Now let me present to you yet a different world's Lois Lane and Clark Kent.”

He hesitated. Dare he approach them? How would they react?

They solved his problem by approaching him. Kent's eyes were wary as they regarded Kal, he wasn't 100% convinced that this was a good plan yet – because he hadn't interacted with Kal at all. All he knew was what he'd shared mentally with Lois – the horror of her memories of this man's clone. Lane however showed no fear at all - she was openly curious and seemingly eager to meet him.

She put her hand out when they got close, encouraging him to take it in a standard casual human greeting. It was strange for Kal to comply – he was used to the other two women fearing him, but he accepted her greeting and held her hand gently.

“Are you afraid to hold my hand,” she asked him in a low voice, his handshake was too weak to inspire any kind of confidence. “We tend to judge people by their handshake. A weak clasp makes us think the person is weak – or possibly untrustworthy. I suspect you're being overly careful because your strength is new to you... I advise working on it with Clark – either Clark.”

He was silent in the face of her words, unable to process her tendency to take charge and issue orders.

“I – ah – did not mean to offend,” she added, realizing she might have done so by discussing this publicly. He was after all – a King. She had a purpose to her criticism - to show the others that he could take it. She had full confidence in his ability to handle this situation well.

“I am not offended,” he assured her, hoping she wasn't afraid of him. “I merely was taken aback by your forthrightness.”

“Once you get to know me, you won't be surprised. I realize I can be … a bit much. I just want to help you.”

“I appreciate it. I am afraid to shake hands. You are correct. I would prefer to not come into physical contact at all with humans if it meant avoiding any chance of hurting someone.”

“That might be read as a superiority complex,” LL told him, surprising him with her words. She looked at him defiantly, almost challenging him to do something about her bold gaze.

“I do not wish to – project that I am superior to anyone. “

“You were raised to rule,” LL continued, arguing the point. “So aren't you superior?”

“I am the chosen ruler to my people,” he agreed. “I was raised to take on the role in adulthood. If I come across as - “

“Overbearing? Domineering?”

“Yes. If I do, it is unintentional and must be corrected. I hope you all will tell me if I upset you."

Color rose to LL's face at his response to her.

“We'll tell you if you come across that way,” Lane told him reassuringly. “If that is what you wish.”

“It is. I thank you.” He smiled at her, and she grinned back. The impact of her smile, genuine and not clouded by dark emotions was powerful. He wanted to step back to protect himself. He looked over at Kent and saw that the other variation of him was looking at him oddly. Kal worried that his doppelganger thought he was trying to steal away his wife and wished he could reassure the man.

“Clark and I can help you,” Kent offered. “With your new abilities. With – the other stuff too,” he said, speaking casually to encompass the whole 'making people uncomfortable' problem. “The truth is, people will fear you no matter what. Clark and I have each had a few accidental run-ins with former victims of your clone – and it's awful. It's bad enough talking to the Kryptonians who have suffered at his hands.”

Kal nodded. He understood. Zara and Vina both troubled him greatly -yet they each treated him as if he didn't trouble them. He knew better.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence