Lori and Clark – The New, New Adventures of Superman – MMC V 6 28/32

By Ken Janney
Warning: This story is rated PG-13.
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously:

Clark spoke up, “Lord Trey.”

Trey responded, deference obvious in his voice, “My Lord, Kal-El. Please, whatever you have to say, we are prepared to hear.”

“Council and Lord Trey, It is my considered opinion that until these questions have been answered to our satisfaction that the true location of New Krypton be kept a secret. That was why I suggested that the meetings be held on that world where we made first contact. It is fifteen days away using the current FTL drive and considerably longer for them.”

“At this point we only have their word that they are a peaceful race. I am still disturbed by the fact that the warrior attacked Lady Lori-El without provocation when she was perceived to be defenseless. There was no way for him to have known that she was invulnerable. Anyone else would have been killed by that energy discharge. When his energy weapon failed he then proceeded to attack her with a sword.”

“I would urge this council to consider them to be hostile until proven otherwise.”

“I would recommend the following. When Lady Lori and I return to Earth, I will be giving the captain the ship that Jor-El used to send me to Earth. Its FTL drive is more efficient than the one you currently use and will be far superior to that used by the Hangaresi. Once some ships have been fitted with the advanced FTL drive, send out scouts along the vector that they followed. Contact any sentient species found along that route. Find out from them if they have interacted with the Hangaresi and what the nature of the contact has been.”

“Send a small flight of two or three ships to actually locate their home world. A single ship would be too vulnerable. Two or three, but preferably four ships could defend one another. On Earth a basic tactical formation is four aircraft. There is a flight leader and his second in command then each has a wingman whose job it is to protect his leader. With the extra speed afforded by the advanced FTL drive they would be able to escape if need be.”

“If they do need to flee they should do so in a vector away from New Krypton until they are far enough away that the Hangaresi can no longer detect them and then still take a round-about course in returning home.”

“I would also recommend that the NK scientists work on developing a means of communicating over long distances, perhaps basing it on the field generated by the FTL drive itself. That also would give a tremendous tactical advantage. As it is we have to be in close proximity to communicate effectively.”

“When we return home we plan to propose to our family that they take turns spending time here on New Krypton. In this way each of their spouses could be your local superhero and assist with natural disasters and also be available in case of attack from invaders. I believe that our family will jump at the opportunity that this will present. They will have the opportunity to become acquainted with the customs and traditions of New Krypton and you would have an opportunity to get to know our family better. I would simply ask that they be provided with housing.”

Trey, speaking for the council said, “That will be easily arranged. We look forward to getting to know the El family.”

And now:

Chapter 27 - Birthdays
Februsry 1, 1998
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 local designation - Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was going to be CJ’s first birthday and plans had been made for a big celebration. Both sets of grandparents were going to be there as well as Uncle Perry, Auntie Alice, Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Lucy.

Since Lucy had completed her college degree in Computer Science and returned to Metropolis, she had snagged a position with STAR Labs. She had become a frequent visitor at the Kent household, oddly enough many times her visits just happened to correspond to those times that Jimmy was also supposed to ‘drop by’. Recently, Jimmy had also jumped at any opportunity that presented itself to spearhead any research that involved working with STAR Labs.

Lois had been slowly adding solid foods to CJ’s diet, still relying primarily on breast milk as the principle component of his diet, and to her great pleasure he was thriving. He was a very happy and healthy little boy that was the joy of her life, second only to her husband.

Since they had been adding solids they had purchased a high chair for him and it was prominently placed at the table in close proximity to Lois’ chair.

Lois was really surprised with herself. She had actually taken to motherhood very well. A very great portion of the credit for that, she had to ruefully agree, was a result of her prescription. Being forced into breastfeeding was the best thing that could have happened to her. The mother-child bond that she had formed with CJ as a result of that activity was stronger than she could ever imagine was possible.

Today was going to be a happy occasion but, it was tinged with regret. Today it was almost eight months since CJ had come into their lives. Lois knew that Herb would be coming in less than a month to take CJ, who she thought of as her baby, back to his real parents. She dreaded Herb’s appearance. She still didn’t know how she would be able to give CJ up. All she knew was that it would break her heart. Then she thought about CJ’s real mother and she thought about how she must have felt, giving up her baby for eight long months, mission or no mission. Her heart must have been broken just as hers was breaking at the thought of losing CJ.

Lois had submerged all of these feelings by throwing herself into planning this event. She had gone out and purchased decorations, with CJ in the seat of the shopping cart the entire time. She had shown him everything that she was purchasing and talked everything over with him. She would frequently interrupt what she was doing and just look at him and marvel. Then she would bend down and plant a gentle kiss on his head. Frequently, when she did that, he would reach up and put his hands on either side of her face and say, “Momma, Momma,” and she would respond, “Momma loves CJ.”

The day had finally arrived. As soon as Lois and Clark got home they started decorating. CJ was an interested observer on the floor in his walker. He was scooting around on the tile floor with ease following his parent’s movements. Before too long there were colorful streamers crisscrossing the kitchen. After a while the guests were gathered and the guest of honor was now in his high chair with a party hat on his head.

When it came time for the cake, Lois had picked up some cup cakes for the occasion. She selected a white cupcake with chocolate icing. She took the paper off and placed it on the tray in front of CJ. For several minutes CJ just sat there looking at this foreign object. Lois had been feeding him solid foods as a supplement to her breast milk but that had always been given him on a spoon. He had been feeding himself those little circles of cereal, but, this was very different. CJ didn’t know just what to make of this object, but, in his inquisitiveness he reached out and touched it. When he did he happened to contact the icing, some of which wound up sticking to his finger. He pulled his hand back and looked at his finger. Not knowing what else to do he stuck the finger in his mouth and licked this foreign substance off. When he did suddenly his face lit up and a great smile came into existence. He pulled his finger out of his mouth and with great deliberation he reached out and ‘plop’ his whole hand came down on the top of the cup cake. His little fingers closed on the icing and so quickly he rivaled Clark for his superspeed he brought his hand up and tried to stuff his whole hand, icing and all, into his mouth, winding up with icing smeared all over his face from nose to chin.

Everyone was watching and Clark was recording with a videocam. When CJ tried to stuff all of that into his mouth it took everyone by surprise and they all started laughing.

CJ was enjoying every morsel of the cup cake and icing and kept reaching down and grabbing more and putting it into his mouth. Eventually all that was left was a scattering of crumbs and chocolate smears on the tray and CJ’s face. Smiling he shouted, “Momma, Momma?”

Lois grabbed a washcloth and wet it with warm water. As she approached she was smiling as she said, “Momma’s right here CJ. Momma’s right here.” She started cleaning his face. He started babbling, “Momma, Dadda, Momma, Dadda.” Lois released his safety belt and lifting him out of the high chair handed him to Clark. As she did he squealed, “Dadda, Dadda, Dadda,” and Clark responded, “Okay Sport, let’s go visit everyone.” They started playing ‘pass the baby’ as everyone took a turn holding him while Lois finished cleaning up his high chair.

After the high chair had been cleaned up and everyone had had a chance to hold the guest of honor he was placed back in his chair and buckled in. Lois placed a brightly wrapped package in front of him. He looked at it for a few seconds and then reached out and started patting it looking around for approval as he did so. When neither Lois nor Clark said, ‘No.’ he realized that it was okay so he started hitting it harder. Lois leaned in and picked up a loose piece of the paper and pointed it out to him he grabbed it with a couple of fingers and pulled. When the paper ripped he was startled and again looked to Lois to see what her reaction would be. Seeing her smile encouraged him and he pulled some more, ripping the paper further. Lois was getting anxious so she leaned in again and helped him and he was laughing and saying, “Momma, Momma,” while she did. When the paper was finally off she helped him open the box and inside was a toy. Lois opened it and dumped the pieces on his tray. It was a ball with large plastic shapes that fit through similarly shaped holes in a sphere. He picked up a triangle shaped piece and tried to push it through a square shaped hole. Clark helped him find the right shaped hole and when the piece dropped through, he squealed in delight and shouted, “Dadda, Dadda,” while Clark beamed his pleasure. CJ picked up another piece and Clark helped again. This became a game that CJ just couldn’t get enough of. It was similar to another toy he had had for a while. It hadn’t been hard plastic; it had been plush. After a while he was given another present and another until all the presents had been delivered.

About this time CJ was yawning but fighting sleep. Lois took him out of his highchair and put him on the floor and he crawled over to Clark and grabbed onto his leg. He used this to pull himself upright until he was standing with just one hand on Clark’s leg. Lois knelt down at a little distance. CJ let go of Clark’s pants and took a hesitant step. As soon as he completed the movement he plopped down on his butt. Undaunted, he crawled back to Clark and using his leg got back up on his feet. He fixed his eyes on Lois and took a step. He wobbled some but stayed upright. Lois held out her hands to him and he took another step. Lois was smiling widely as she watched him. He took another step. Lois encouraged him, “Come to Momma CJ, come to Momma.” He took another step. Everyone was holding their breath. One more and he would be able to touch Lois’ outstretched hands. He took that final step and everyone released the breath they had been holding as Lois scooped him up in her arms and showered him with kisses while saying, “What a big boy! CJ, you can walk! Momma is so proud of you! Such a big boy!” Clark moved over and wrapped up both of them in his arms. Everyone crowded around and made a fuss until Lois said, “It is really past time for his nap. I’m going to go put him down in the crib. I’ll be right back.”

Everyone stayed for a while chatting and having a good time over coffee and tea with left over cake. The party finally broke up and after cleaning up Lois and Clark moved into the living room. Perry and Alice had been among the first to leave because Perry needed to be in the office early. Lucy and Jimmy had followed. Jimmy was driving Lucy back to her apartment. Sam and Ellen had stayed a little longer. Last to leave had been Jonathan and Martha Kent who were staying in an hotel nearby.

After the Kents left, Lois and Clark cuddled up together on the couch with Lois leaning back against Clark’s side with his arm across her shoulder and his arm crossing her chest his hand on her waist. They sat that way silently for a time, both of them lost in their own thoughts. Suddenly Lois started weeping, something she had been doing more and more frequently as time went on. Clark knew the cause, because he was feeling the same way, although he was concealing it from Lois, presenting a strong presence to give her something she could draw strength from.

She turned around in his arms and put her arms around his neck as she gave vent to her grief and pain, her tears soaking his shirt. He moved his arms so that he held her within their circle. After a few minutes she asked, “How am I going to do this Clark? How can I give up our baby? Herb will be here before too much longer and he’s going to take our baby away. Do we have to let him? Can’t we go somewhere and hide?”

He started running his hands over her back in a soothing manner and spoke in a voice which was also husky with emotion, “Remember what Herb said, he was able to return a happy healthy little boy to his parents when they returned from their mission. He’d find us, no matter where we went, remember, to him it’s history.”

As her tears flowed freely she said bitterly, “Yeah, history. I wish we could change this particular piece of history. We’ve had him for the majority of his life. We’re his parents in every way that counts. I might not have bore him, but, I’m still his mother. Why did Herb have to do this to us?”

Clark was feeling every bit of the pain she was expressing but he had to put up a front for her. He said, “I know, I feel the same way. It is bitter disappointment to me to have to give him up, but, look at it from their perspective; they gave him to us in good faith. How would you feel if he were actually ours and you know, he could very well be, and we had to send him off for his safety and then they, we, refused to return him to us when we returned home? We would fight to get him back and you know it. How can we do that to them or possibly ourselves? At this time, since Herb has not given us any information to the contrary, there is just as much chance that he is ours as that he isn’t. We have no way to know. On that basis, if for no other reason, we must return him when Herb comes to pick him up."

With tears still in her eyes she gazed up at Clark and said, “I know you’re right,” she pointed at her head, “up here, but,” she pointed at her heart, “down here, it hurts. We’re going to be losing our baby.”

“Perhaps it is only temporary. Herb could be returning him to us in our future. We just don’t know. Until Herb shows up, we have to continue to be CJ’s parents and we can’t let him know how upset we are that he’s going to be leaving. He’ll know that there’s a problem. He won’t know what it is, but, he’ll know and it will upset him.”

“I know and I try, but, he’s picking up on it anyhow. He’s such a smart little guy, just like you.”

“He’s inquisitive, just like you.”

A wintery smile took over her face as she said, “Yeah, he’s just like what my mom said I was at his age. Must be a chip off the old block.”

On February 28th Lois, Clark and CJ went out for a quiet dinner to celebrate Clark’s birthday. Lois had CJ in his carrier and Clark flew them to Hawaii. Since it was a Saturday they left early and took the diaper bag and a small bag with them. They landed in a secluded area and strolled around Waikiki for a while. They went into a fast food joint and ordered burgers, fries, drinks and milkshakes. They used the rest room to change clothes and emerged ready for the beach.

They strolled down to the beach and put out some towels. Lois lathered CJ up with sun screen and put him down to play. Clark took his turn and lathered Lois up with the sunscreen. He was on a towel on one side in his Speedos and Lois was on the other side in her brown bikini. After a time Lois picked up CJ and took him down to where the waves made it up the beach. She sat him down where the wave would wash up to him and knelt down next to him while Clark stood by. When the first wave hit him he was startled and watched it retreat. When the next one hit him he tried to pat it and succeeded in splashing some of the water on his legs. When the next wave came in he hit it harder. This time he managed to splash Lois. When she giggled he knew that what he was doing was okay so he decided that he wasn’t just going to sit there. He got onto his hands and knees and started to crawl out toward the water. Lois allowed him to get just so far before she said, “CJ, no.”

He stopped and looked back at her. He contemplated what she had said for a few seconds and then crept one step further. Lois said, “CJ, no!”

CJ stopped again and looked back at Lois and then very deliberately took another step forward while continuing to watch her. She stood and stepped up to him and picking him up gave him a little swat on his wet diaper and said, “CJ, Momma said, no!”

Seeing her anger CJ was repentant and put his hands out to her and said, “Momma, Momma?”

Lois pulled him into a hug and said, “Momma loves CJ, but if Momma says no, CJ must obey.”

Lois sat him down in the light surf again. He looked up at her and then turned over on his hands and knees and started to crawl into deeper water again. Lois said, “CJ, no.”

This time he stopped and turning plopped down on his bottom and repeated what she had said, “CJ, no.”

Lois was startled. She looked at Clark and said, “Did you hear that? He said something other than Momma or Dadda and it’s like he really knew what I meant. He stopped!” She stooped down and picked CJ up and gave him a big hug and kiss and twirled him around almost dancing with him in her arms. Clark came over and wrapped his arms around both of them.

CJ started babbling, “Momma, Dadda, CJ, no. Momma, Dadda, CJ, no.”

Lois said, “That’s right, Darling CJ. Momma loves CJ.”

CJ repeated, “Momma lubs CJ.”

With tears of joy streaming down her face Lois said, “Yes, Momma loves CJ. Momma loves her baby boy, CJ.”

Lois continued crying, but, Clark could tell from the look on her face that they were no longer tears of joy, but sorrow. Sorrow that it wouldn’t be too much longer until Herb showed up to take CJ away from them and back to his parents. He enclosed both her and CJ in his arms standing there in the surf and comforted his wife even though his own heart was also breaking.

comments go here

TBC

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj