Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#95819 06/10/13 11:24 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Feedback goes here! hyper

(So nice to write those words again! clap )

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Interesting premise. It'll be fun to see how you develop this.

Joan

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I won't get a chance to read this for probably a week, but I wanted to write this, at least, as soon as possible: Welcome back to posting. I'm looking forward to reading your story when life slows down a bit. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm compelled to sound like another character from a TV show - "Veeerrrryyyy Interesting!" (From "Laugh In" for you younger folks).
Just a minor nit, since I've been to Warner Bros and done the Lois and Clark tour. There are no "L.A. Expressways". There are so many, we call them by their number or their name. So it would be "Dean drove on to the 134." That's the number of the freeway that goes by Warner Bros.
I lived in North Hollywood near Universal Studios for a good portion of my young life.
Keep it coming! It sounds interesting for the real Lois Lane to go to the party.
Right after LnC ended there were several stories where the characters and the actors changed universes, but I can't remember any of them right now.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Right after LnC ended there were several stories where the characters and the actors changed universes, but I can't remember any of them right now.
There was SwapMeet: Burbank by Debby Stark and SwapMeet: Metropolis by Margaret Brignell. L&C find themselves in our world, and Dean and Teri find themselves in the L&C universe.

Wendy Richards doesn't have Teri and Dean - she has "Conor Kane" and "Laura Lindsay" working for "Marner Sisters", filming a Superman TV show, in part one of a trilogy, Big Boys Do Fly . It's followed by Big Boys Do Fly II - Close Encounter and Big Boys Do Fly III - Torn Between Two Worlds . I don't know if this counts, because Conor and Laura are not the real-world Dean and Teri.

For a good fic about Superman really landing in our world, check out Shayne Terry's awesome Veritas . "Summary: An alternate Clark Kent finds himself flying a planeload of passengers from 1993 Metropolis into real world post-9/11 2008 Washington DC. How will he deal with this new, darker world?" Don't miss this one.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's it! "Swap Meet." Thanks, Iolanthe.
cool
Artemis

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I should have realized where Tempus had taken her before I did.

I am actually surprised Dean is so quick to believe her, instead of thinking she is some crazy groupie or something when he realizes for sure she is not Teri.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Okay, I'm hooked. laugh When do we get part 2? grovel

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is very different and fresh. Bring it on!! wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
I won't get a chance to read this for probably a week, but I wanted to write this, at least, as soon as possible: Welcome back to posting. I'm looking forward to reading your story when life slows down a bit. smile

Joy,
Lynn
Thanks! I am happy to be back! I have at least one more fic that has some more polish to be put on it, and a chapter or two... so hopefully you'll have plenty to read from me. smile

Artemis:
I'm compelled to sound like another character from a TV show - "Veeerrrryyyy Interesting!" (From "Laugh In" for you younger folks).
Just a minor nit, since I've been to Warner Bros and done the Lois and Clark tour. There are no "L.A. Expressways". There are so many, we call them by their number or their name. So it would be "Dean drove on to the 134." That's the number of the freeway that goes by Warner Bros.
I lived in North Hollywood near Universal Studios for a good portion of my young life.
Ah well, I am an east coast girl. What do I know? wink I'll add in a real highway (or would you use freeway/expressway?) number before I send it to the archives.

Iolanthealias:

Thanks for all the fics! smile I've only read Veritas, which is definitely a keeper! As this story goes on, I'll explain more my angle/purpose in writing it. wink

John Lambert:

I should have realized where Tempus had taken her before I did.

I am actually surprised Dean is so quick to believe her, instead of thinking she is some crazy groupie or something when he realizes for sure she is not Teri.
Perhaps if I had been writing a longer fic, I may have dragged out the 'I don't believe you' element... but, hope you can forgive the expediency in order to bring you a hopefully more concise story. smile

ScifiJoan, Queen of Capes, Morgana:

Thanks for the encouraging words! Part 2 coming right up!! smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by mozartmaid:
Ah well, I am an east coast girl. What do I know? wink I'll add in a real highway (or would you use freeway/expressway?) number before I send it to the archives.
In California, it's a highway if it can have occasional cross-streets and rare stop lights. Freeways always have entrance/exit ramps, and they never have stop lights. On both the speed limit tends to be 60mph and up. Expressways are major roads that have less-frequent-than-normal stoplights and tend to have speed limits around 45 to 55mph.

In the Bay Area, we'd say, "He got on the freeway," or, "He got on 101." I think calling it "the 101" is more a Southern CA thing, so that's what you're looking for.

I'm amused by Dean having a crush on Lois. It looks like you've posted the second part, and I'm eager to read it. smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
In the Bay Area, we'd say, "He got on the freeway," or, "He got on 101." I think calling it "the 101" is more a Southern CA thing, so that's what you're looking for.
Technically the 101 is very much on the coast in SoCa, so not anywhere near the major studios, most of which are in Studio City (hence the name), Universal City (hence the name), or Burbank (made famous by the Tonight Show). I lived in Hollywood proper, ie. just off Hollywood Blvd. (I wouldn't live there again, BTW) several blocks from where the Kodak Theater (where they have the Oscars), Mann's Chinese Theater (same complex, BTW), and the Egyptian Theater (across the street, and the best place in town to catch a classic film, since it's a cinema from the 1930s of the ilk of the Mann's Chinese), and the El Capitan (Disney-Owned theater, if you're going to watch a Disney film in LA, that's the place to go). People who live in the city really do try and avoid the freeways (well, at least, I did), because they are more like parking lots between 6-10am and 3-7pm (and also around lunch). The major freeways are the I-5, which goes N/S and "the 405" (technically, the I-405, I=Interstate), I'm not quite sure where it goes, since I only took it to get to LAX (North side of the city, I don't recommend it either. I always flew in and out of the Burbank Airport, which was very close to Hollywood and no crowds. laugh ) Major roads in the city like Santa Monica Blvd (which links Hollywood and Beverly Hills and heads towards Santa Monica) can also be clogged during certain times of day. This is mostly because California cities are very spread out and mass transit is slow and the subways limited (I used to ride the subway from Hollywood to Universal City and sometimes downtown LA, but that was about it). Cars are required to get anywhere, and you always have to pay for parking (even where you work and live), and spots also very limited (hence why valet parking is popular if you have $$).

Okay, I've gotten off-topic. Sorry. blush I was not too surprised that Dean got strange looks from others on the lot when he drove off with Lois. Most actors don't hang out together off-set, and everything they do is gossip and speculation is spread around easily. I liked how you showed that Dean was just a regular guy, living in a regular (not extravagant house), just trying to figure out what to do with his life now what thrust him into the limelight (and the income which came with it) has been taken away from him. clap

I was wondering if Tempus had taken Teri to Metropolis and dropped her in Lois's apartment, but since already knows what's coming next in Lois and Clark's life, she'd definitely have an advantage over poor Lois.

Off to read Part 2.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I was using 101 as an example, since I don't know off the top of my head what freeways are in Southern CA besides that one. I bow to your superior knowledge on that point.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, the 101 runs on the other side of Universal Studios. I lived on Lankershim drive in the 1950's. I gave the correct number of the freeway that Dean would take from Warner Bros. and that is the 134, which cuts across the valley. Warner Bros is right near Forest Lawn, the famous cemetery with a lot of movie stars interred there.
California called all the major expressways "freeways" because charging tolls were forbidden until just a few years ago and not many roads have tolls now. Yes, it is a raised or separated highway with on and off ramps and no cross traffic and no stop signs.
It does become a parking lot during morning and evening rush hours.
BTW, when we stayed at the Beverly Garland hotel for LAFFs, it is right beside the 101.
Expressways has never been used as term in California that I can recall.
And yes, downtown Hollywood has always been a rough and tumble area. My zip code then was North Hollywood, but that is next door to Studio City. That's where Teri was living at one time.
cool
Artemis

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
I was using 101 as an example, since I don't know off the top of my head what freeways are in Southern CA besides that one. I bow to your superior knowledge on that point.
Actually, "freeways" are "Interstates", like I-5 and I-405, which have entrance ramps and exit ramps; their name comes from their opposite designation of the toll roads (made famous in the Eastern US), hence why they are "free". I-15 will get you to Las Vegas, and the I-10 to Phoenix, AZ. 101 is the "Highway Coast 101" (highways were the major roads before freeways systems were made in the 60s-70s, or they are "state highways" designated by the State.) Toll roads charge the people driving on them, while "freeways" are paid for by taxes (yes, I know, still not "free" are they). The 101, like Route 66, goes through towns and has stoplights, businesses, and residential sections (although these are few and far between on the 101). Most highways are 2 lane roads (one way in each direction). Actually, the 101 goes all the way south through San Diego from Olympic Peninsula (Port Angeles, and Forks - made famous from Twilight) in Washington state. It only breaks up (disappears) just north of Oceanside, CA where Camp Pendelton is located. As you may have guessed, I've done a fair bit of driving in my life. laugh (steps away from history podium). - Sorry for once again going off topic, just clarify. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Guys that is a crazy amount of road knowledge for one little story. wink Would that make the 134 the best road to use near Universal/WB lot? And Dean would say something like, 'I got on the 134?'

Everyone approve? peep

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No worries MozartMaid, that's nothing, go to Long Island in New York State and try getting on the Long Island Expressway. Natives refer to the place and the longest parking lot in the World! smile1

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi mozartmaid. We do tend to go on about our roads, don't we? Yes, it's correct for Dean to get on the 134, which does run into the 101. Truly the 101 is an Interstate like the I-5 and the I-15. I'm assuming this Dean lives out toward the ocean.
Go to Bing or Mapquest and you can see for yourself. Find Warner Bros. Studios (you'll get 6 answers, but pick #1) and then do directions to Malibu, Ca and you'll see what we are talking about.
cool
Artemis
Here's another hint. Odd numbered Interstates go north and south (mostly) and even numbered west to east. I-10, I-40, I-70, I-80, I-90 cross the US. Off ramps are numbered by the miles from the south border of a state to the north border and then start over at the next state line. Similarly off ramps are numbered sequentially from the west coast (or state border) to the east.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
101 is the "Highway Coast 101"
D'oh! You're right, 101 is a highway. I was thinking of 85 when I wrote it, but it's a local freeway, so it's not down south. The freeways aren't just the interstates, though; the Bay Area has 17, 82, 85, 87, 280, 580, 680, 880... and probably some others I'm forgetting. I think the only interstate in the area is I-80.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
O.K. I can't resist. Highway 395 goes from Mexico to Canada, border to border. But it is not an Interstate because roads do cross it and there are stoplights. If you've ever driven from LA to Lake Tahoe on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada, you've been on it.
cool
Drivin' Artie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard