Authors comments: This is my first fanfic here. *trembles* When reading it, please try to remember that it is gone 1:00am & as I have been painting the house, the fumes have more than likely taken to my head.

Lois Lane took a sip of the fresh coffee Clark had made her. It had taken him only a few short minutes to make but in that time he had been to china, picked the beans & ground them, before actually making it. Anything to impress Lois & he thought that perhaps a decent cup of coffee would contribute to this.

“It’s a bit strong isn’t it” she remarked.
Clark smiled & resisted the urge to laugh, before swapped his slightly whiter coffee with hers. Perching on the edge of Clark’s well-ordered desk, Lois gazed at the photo her colleague was studying so carefully. The reflective photo paper showed a well-built man in his early 40’s. Under the photo was a large pile of paper with all the information there was on the man.

“Didn’t I tell you kids not to stay behind late tonight? Not with that lunatic on the run, you know your both in danger” Perry reminded them, as he strode across the empty office.
“We know chief; we’re just leaving. Don’t worry about us” Clark said, rising from his chair.
Lois gave him an objecting look, but knew deep down he was right. For once.
“Now do you two have a safe way of getting home?” Perry asked.
“I’ll call a cab” Lois told him, gliding off the desk & striding past the pair.

Clark raised his eyebrows at her, knowing only to well the predicament that determined look she was wearing, could lead her into.

“Lois, I think maybe you should come & stay with me tonight. It might be safer” Clark said to her in the cab.
“I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself, thank you Clark. I won’t be scarred out my own home just because of one mans bullying tactics” she told him point blank.
Before Clark could argue his point further, the cab stopped at Lois’ apartment.
“Just please be careful” he called after her as she approached her front door. Even though she heard what he had said, Lois ignored him.

It wasn’t Lois’ fault she was stubborn. She was just born that way. The truth was as much as she protested to working with Clark; he had grown on her a lot. Dare she say it; he had even become a friend. He made her feel safe & stronger when she was with him. Yet she refused to stay with him even when deep inside, she was scarred to be on her own that night. Just because she didn’t want to seem weak. She didn’t want to admit it, but she needed Clark. Maybe he would come round to make sure she was alright anyway. After all he did seem to understand her, maybe he would realise that she really did want him with her that night.

Everything in Clark’s living room was still. Even himself. The only way you could tell the difference between him & a statue, was the way his chest moved a fraction whilst breathing. (& even then that was sporadically) He was thinking. Thinking about Lois, which was nothing particularly new to him. He was always thinking of her, always worrying. Let’s face it, where Lois is concerned worrying about her becomes a daily ritual.

Braking this freeze frame, he picked up his phone & started dialling her number, but stopped before he hit the last digit. She was probably asleep & wouldn’t thank him. She would just think he was being over protective.