Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Consider the title of this story. After night falls, it gets dark. frown

Comments here please.
Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, who gave this WAFFy writer entree into our Evil Writers club? He's far too good at it. Lex has been shoved (or jumped willingly) over the edge into the Joker's level of insanityville. Superman stuck in an inescapable trap. Lois locked in an apartment with the handmaiden from hell.

It was a little bit confusing that you chose the name "Martha" for Lois's lady's maid, being that you already have a Martha in the story. Was the a reason for this? Or was it purely by accident? I wonder if Lois is going to explain to Martha that there is no way that whoever kidnapped her (like she isn't going to figure it out soon) will let Martha leave there alive. At first I thought Lois and Martha were in the bunker ark, but it must have been buried by the collapse of Lex Tower.... well, the entrances buried because technically, it was already buried.

So, is Lois in Italy or is that just where Lex is planning on taking her when all is said and done? And Superman is back in Metropolis? Who is going to save our heroic duo? You've got me pulling out my hair here. How are they going to escape? How? How? How?

/Pssst. Wasn't Part 9 the one we decided was supposed to be WAFFy, Bob? You didn't *need* to go in the completely opposite direction to prove me wrong, you know./

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, VirginiaR

Let's start with this:
Okay, who gave this WAFFy writer entree into our Evil Writers club?
and
/Pssst. Wasn't Part 9 the one we decided was supposed to be WAFFy, Bob? You didn't *need* to go in the completely opposite direction to prove me wrong, you know./
I was looking forward to your reaction. I remember this FDK you gave back in chapter 6:
I'm hoping parts 9-10 are a nice lull of Bobbart WAFF. I'm going to need it after this.
I knew when we got to this chapter that I was going to have to answer for the lack of WAFF.

So, here goes: I spent over two years looking for a story to follow SkyFall. After the first six months, I knew that I couln't find a WAFFy story that worked. Then I spent another year looking for some non-WAFF story to tell the return of Superman.

Severl times I was ready to give up. I had the explanation for Clark's parents - basically chapter 1 of this story - and I was simply going to post that as a short to close the story out. However, I didn't want to leave it with the other two threads (Superman's return and what happened to Lex) hanging open. So, after more consideration, I found this story. I thought - and still think - that it is a fairly compelling story, but I can see that it has not been as well received as I had hoped. frown Oh, well. frown

Now, to the rest of your FDK:
Lex has been shoved (or jumped willingly) over the edge into the Joker's level of insanityville. Superman stuck in an inescapable trap. Lois locked in an apartment with the handmaiden from hell.
All too true. Lex, insane or not, is a supervillian. If he devotes all of his abilities and resources to something, then the result should not be easy to avoid or escape.
It was a little bit confusing that you chose the name "Martha" for Lois's lady's maid, being that you already have a Martha in the story. Was the a reason for this? Or was it purely by accident?
Your point/question about Martha's name came up during beta review. The name is deliberate. I won't say why for now, but I will speak more to that later.
So, is Lois in Italy or is that just where Lex is planning on taking her when all is said and done? And Superman is back in Metropolis?
Superman is in Metropolis. Lois's location will become clear later.
Who is going to save our heroic duo? You've got me pulling out my hair here. How are they going to escape? How? How? How?
smile I hope you are still around when we reach the end. smile

Thank you so much for the note. I really appreciate it.
Bob

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Clearly Clark/Superman is going to be recused by someone.

I vote for the remnants of Bureau 39. After Trask's death and the Nightfall mission and the discrediting of Superman those few remaining members of Bureau 39 regrouped seeking a new purpose.

When Lex Luthor was exposed as the reason behind the partial failure of the Nightfall mission and Superman returned they were distrustful and began work on tracking Superman. His disappearance has them concerned, that added to the possible detection of an approaching Alien spaceship (New Kryptonians) lead them to ramp up their efforts.

or perhaps it is the New Kryptonians who attempted to recuse "Kal El".

But please, please grovel please, don't let it be H.G. Wells

Framework4
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Framework4

I LOVE this!
I vote for the remnants of Bureau 39. After Trask's death and the Nightfall mission and the discrediting of Superman those few remaining members of Bureau 39 regrouped seeking a new purpose.

When Lex Luthor was exposed as the reason behind the partial failure of the Nightfall mission and Superman returned they were distrustful and began work on tracking Superman. His disappearance has them concerned,
and this might be even better!
the New Kryptonians who attempted to recuse "Kal El".
notworthy Those are great ideas! notworthy

And who knows, perhaps... but I can't say for now.

As for this:
please, please please, don't let it be H.G. Wells
Well, after reading your comment, I did a little research. I have written 26 LnC stories in my time here.

Of those, only 4 have any time travel whatsoever.

Of those, there is only 1 story where the time travel element changes something to "fix" a problem.

And HG Wells has never appeared in one of my stories. So, while I won't say it's impossible, I will point out that the odds are against him making an appearance. rotflol

Thanks for the note.
Bob

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This was a very depressing peace. Lois and Clark are seperated for the whole peace. Notice what I focus on.

I am actually most scared about Luthor's threat to kill the families of the gaurds if Clark escapes. I actually think it will deter Superman from trying at some level.

I am trying to not at all worry about Luthor's plan to get Lois to restore his honor to work. I am really puzzled that he thinks it could work, ever, at all, in any way.

John Pack Lambert
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Bob,

I've been enjoying your story thus far; it's one of the few I am reading now. (I don't plan to start reading any new stories until I have completed one, possibly two, certification exams and until I catch up a bit at work.)

Things don't look good for our favourite couple at the moment. I'm on tenterhooks waiting to see how the next three parts go. If I had to guess, I would think that either Inspector Henderson or Perry might be Superman's rescuer.

Virginia -- I wouldn't entirely rule out the bunker/ark idea. I can't imagine that Lex would only have a single entrance into the bunker. I would think that anyone of Lex's cunning wouldn't put himself in a location in which he could easily be trapped should someone discover the sole entrance. It is possible that there is another secret entrance somewhere within a few blocks; perhaps via another, lesser, building of his. Of course, it is just as possible that Lois and Martha are in Australia, or China, or...

Joy,
Lynn

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, John.
This was a very depressing peace.
Hmmm. Yes. I guess that's why I generally stay with much lighter fare. I believe if you are going to go dark, it has to feel real. One of the reasons that I can't stand Tempus, is that he's a joke. He loses for stupid reasons. With all the resources he can bring to bear, he would never lose the way he does. When a super-villian such as Lex comes after you, you are going to have a bad day. And it won't be light and fun. frown
I am actually most scared about Luthor's threat to kill the families of the gaurds if Clark escapes. I actually think it will deter Superman from trying at some level.
That was meant for both Superman and the guards. It's telling Superman that innocents will die if he escapes. It's also reminding the guards of the consequence of any laxness on their part. I've used this theme before. BIG evil doesn't just come after you, it comes after everyone you care about.
I am trying to not at all worry about Luthor's plan to get Lois to restore his honor to work. I am really puzzled that he thinks it could work, ever, at all, in any way.
He has a plan. It will become clear before we get done. In fact, it should become much more clear in the next chapter.

Thank you for you patience with this story. I know it's dark, I just hope that it turns out to be worth it in the end. The end of the story is very close now.

Lynn
I've been enjoying your story thus far; it's one of the few I am reading now.
Thank you for giving it a chance. I'm sure it isn't what you expected.
Things don't look good for our favourite couple at the moment. I'm on tenterhooks waiting to see how the next three parts go. If I had to guess, I would think that either Inspector Henderson or Perry might be Superman's rescuer.
No, things don't look good. Take a look at my response to John just above, I believe serious evil should be exactly that.

As for this:
Virginia -- I wouldn't entirely rule out the bunker/ark idea. I can't imagine that Lex would only have a single entrance into the bunker. I would think that anyone of Lex's cunning wouldn't put himself in a location in which he could easily be trapped should someone discover the sole entrance. It is possible that there is another secret entrance somewhere within a few blocks; perhaps via another, lesser, building of his. Of course, it is just as possible that Lois and Martha are in Australia, or China, or...

Relating to this:
I wonder if Lois is going to explain to Martha that there is no way that whoever kidnapped her (like she isn't going to figure it out soon) will let Martha leave there alive. At first I thought Lois and Martha were in the bunker ark, but it must have been buried by the collapse of Lex Tower.... well, the entrances buried because technically, it was already buried.
Sorry, Virginia. I missed that point in my earlier feedback. I'll go ahead and clarify a point. I always thought Luthor would be too smart not to have a backup escape and survival plan. His bunker wasn't just under his tower, there was another section - accessible by underground paths, that was away from his main complex. Luthor is a survivalist. He would assume that when the authorities came after him, they might take his tower apart to find him and his secrets. Therefore, he had an alternate escape location near, but not too near, the bunker complex he showed Lois. That is where all of this is taking place.

As for what Lois will be saying to Martha, well, take a look at chapter 10 and think about that question again.

Again, thank you for the time and feedback. I hope to bring this to a conclusion very soon.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So, after more consideration, I found this story. I thought - and still think - that it is a fairly compelling story, but I can see that it has not been as well received as I had hoped. [Frown] Oh, well. [Frown]
I can assure you, Bob, that I was totally engrossed in this story. I think it's great.

All too true. Lex, insane or not, is a supervilliai. If he devotes all of his abilities and resources to something, then the result should not be easy to avoid or escape.
YES! YES! There is a reason that Lex Luthor, an "ordinary" human, is Superman's #1 villain and has been able to remain so. Lex doesn't have Kryptonian superpowers - he's got superpowers in a different way. (The "Evil Brain" of the "Love and Capes" series comes to mind.) Bob is writing Lex here as a worthy adversary for Superman.

I believe if you are going to go dark, it has to feel real. One of the reasons that I can't stand Tempus, is that he's a joke. He loses for stupid reasons. With all the resources he can bring to bear, he would never lose the way he does. When a super-villian such as Lex comes after you, you are going to have a bad day. And it won't be light and fun. [Frown]
This is a really good point. Again, if Lex Luthor is a worthy adversary of Superman, you have to show why that is so. Bob is doing that, and doing it well.

I've used this theme before. BIG evil doesn't just come after you, it comes after everyone you care about.
'Nuff said.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bob!

Let’s see if Lois is still alive and not married to Lex.

This was a man who had more money and power than any reasonable person could want, but continued to take and destroy seemingly only for the pleasure of doing so.
Well, what else is one to do to avoid getting bored out of one’s mind?

As Clark Kent he'd never been in a position to see behind the mask that Luthor usually wore.
Yes, Superman really should have tried to remove that mask when his fingernails where still superstrong.

“Did you wonder why there was a thick concrete wall right in the path you were supposed to follow for that demolition?”
So, how did he get the wall in there?

So, did you enjoy it when I dropped the building on you?!”
[Linked Image] Lex did it again, this time with his own building. Duh! I just thought that only almost destroying the building would be too complicated.

If you escape, every one of them and their families will be killed.”

“Why?” Clark croaked.
To motivate them, of course.

“Because the game isn't over,” Luthor snapped. “You thought you'd won.” With every word his voice grew a little louder. “First you took my city and then you took everything else. You need to know that the game isn't over until I say it is!” he shouted. By the time he had finished he'd been shouting at the top of his lungs.
I wonder if Lex will explode in a thousand little pieces when he keeps that up.

“If you want to win so badly, why don't you just kill me?” Clark asked in a croaking voice. “Why all the trouble to build this room?”
Because a comic book villain needs to gloat and monologue and plan and build. After all, how else can the here escape? Clark really needs to read more.

“Oh, and one more thing. You came here to rescue the lovely Ms. Lane. Well, I thought you should know that I have no plans to release her – ever. I have plans for her, but... well, let’s just say that I don't think Mr. Kent would approve of my plans for his wife.”
Wow. I’m truly shocked. He’s going to have Lois work at the Dirt Digger, isn’t he? Have her investigate some c-level celebrity or other.

I wonder if Lex ever read The Evil Overlord List: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilOverlordList

#6: I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

#26: No matter how attractive certain members of the rebellion are, there is probably someone just as attractive who is not desperate to kill me. Therefore, I will think twice before ordering a prisoner sent to my bedchamber.

The bed felt especially soft this morning, but Lois's clothes felt a little tight.
So, all prepared for #26. Question is, is the tightness from being bound with rope or a tight nightgown.

It looked more like the bedroom of a nice apartment, than what she would find in a hotel room. However, there was no window.
Oh dear. Sounds like Lex’s Ark. Will they rescue Superman and Lois by accidently digging into the Ark during their LexTower cleanup?

The bathroom was well stocked including towels, washcloths and other linens that a person might need.
What about scissors and metal nail files? She will need one of those later on, best hidden under the pillow so she can apply it to her captor’s sensitive spots.

“No, dear, I was hired to be here. But I've already been told that you aren't here by choice. If we can sit down I'll be happy to tell you all I know.”
What the…

This place,” Martha motioned to indicate the room, “doesn't feel like London to me. I guess that means we're in Metropolis.”
Actually, wouldn’t the wall outlets and the door frames be a dead giveaway as to this being the US or Europe? Not that Lois or her minder would be able to identify which European country they are in based on the outlets, but the North American vs. everywhere else style should be telling.

But the voice told me when I arrived that all meals would be delivered by the dumbwaiter.”
Escape route!

Lois went over to the dumbwaiter door. It seemed to be locked. “It's locked,” Lois said to Martha.
LOIS: Hmpf…

I assure you that we mean you no harm, and, as you will see, we have done all that we can to make your stay as pleasant as possible.”
Yeah, erm…what will the guards say once the Evil Overlord comes to claim his price?

“You'll never get away with this,” Lois said. “My husband will find me. We have powerful friends.”

“Well, that's something,” Lois grumbled. “I'm going to take a shower. I'll be out in a few minutes.”
Control room operator: Show time, guys!

Superman provided Lex with new purpose. He would destroy the hero – painfully, personally this time – and use the same operation to affect his rehabilitation with Lois. Indeed, the operation was proceeding perfectly according to plan. Superman and Lois were now exactly where they were supposed to be.
Is he actually going to try and pull off the ‘I’m here to rescue you’ card, shooting up his own goons in the process? Does he *really* think she’ll believe him?

“Sir, we can provide a feed. Also, as you know, you could speak to her directly. It would be impossible for her to recognize your voice.”
Might make him angry, have him slip up. With the amount of slime he’s oozing all the time, it’s tricky enough to keep standing as it is.

“I will send it as soon as this call is finished.”
Huh, no shower cams, what’s going?

Lex leaned back in his chair and smiled. After they were married, Lois was going to love Italy.
Is she actually in Italy? The timing could work, of course… I'm also starting to question of Lex might not actually require psychiatric treatment, possibly even some medication.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard