bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Comments here please.

Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm so glad that Lois and Clark are back together again (with current memories in tact). Phew. I was worried there for... a quarter of this part! You really know how to get me to nibble my nails to the quick, don't you?

Poor Lois. She called everyone she knew and still nobody would let her have control of her hubby's alter-persona. I'm glad that they finally told someone else, who will be able to be Superman's "person to contact in an emergency" who will then be able to keep Lois in the loop. It's frustrating to go through a middle man, but at least Dr. Klein is someone they can trust.

It sounds like Perry is getting suspicious. Jonathan must have forgotten to act sick when he arrived at the Whites' that night. Maybe he knew that Clark wouldn't have left his post without telling or leaving word with Lois.

Poor Clark. I was a little confused by this line:
“At first the data suggested a drop of about a quarter. But when we ran more tests the number came in slightly below that. Based on the test data we collected, your abilities are seventy-four percent of what they were before Nightfall.”
Now, that I re-read it, I realize it was my brain trying to understand percentages late at night when I read this, than a confusing passage. When I first read this I thought he dropped "74%". And I'm like WOW. Luckily, you had Dr. Klein explain it again in the next paragraph and my fuzzy brain finally could understand the math. (I really shouldn't read this story right before heading to bed, but it was there and I wanted to make sure that Clark was okay, otherwise I wouldn't have be able to sleep.) laugh

Excuse me if I don't believe those "inquiring minds" who wanted to know about Superman's Swarm mission. Whoever they are, I don't trust them, and neither should Clark and Lois.

Hmmmm. I'm wondering if the K-gas is to blame or if Clark got exposed to more K during the demolition. How could that wall have appeared between his first fly through and the demolition? Yes, Clark needs to be more careful. Why do I have a strange feeling that Lex is going to hear about this:
“Of course, but let me clarify,” Bernie said. “We believe that the Kryptonite somehow destroyed approximately twenty-five percent of your abilities. Some of the data suggests that if you were to go through another long-duration exposure to Kryptonite, it could continue to permanently remove your abilities. There is a chance that if you were to suffer continuous exposure, you could permanently lose up to ten percent of your abilities each day.”
Which makes me worried... very worried about Clark. <<there goes my fingernails again, good thing my daughter's about to paint them>>

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Deluking to tell you how much I'm enjoying your story, Bob.

A reinforced wall where it shouldn't be in Lex towers. Sounds very suspicious *cough*Lexdidit*cough* Very interesting turn of events. And this?

I assure you that none of those discussions ended up in any report.”
Nothing official, maybe. angel-devil

Keep up the good work.
B

U
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
U
Oboy. This is looking very potentially worrying... In earlier sections, I was surprised at how easily ("easy" being relative term, of course!) Clark was worn out during his interaction with the Swarm and then later with the building demolition. Clark's loss of 26% of his powers due to the Nightfall mission certainly (if scarily) explains that.

I'm a bit worried about Dr. Klein's collaborators on the re-testing of Superman's abilities:
"one of my coworkers suggested that a lower-level exposure could remove all of your abilities without killing you.”
Is it too much to hope that this coworker is *not* in cahoots with Luthor?

Great section. Looking forward to the next part!

Ultra Lucille
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I trust Bernie Klein to the moon and back. thumbsup But these 'associates' of his not so much. Clark has every reason to be concerned.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Virginia
I'm so glad that Lois and Clark are back together again (with current memories intact).
After all the memory issues from the first Nightfall story, I don't have the heart to do that to Clark again. Of course, maybe I should have had him try to play a joke on Lois. He could have pretended he remembered everything before Nightfall, but nothing since – including their marriage. But no, even Clark isn't bone-head enough to think that would be funny.
I'm glad that they finally told someone else, who will be able to be Superman's "person to contact in an emergency" who will then be able to keep Lois in the loop. It's frustrating to go through a middle man, but at least Dr. Klein is someone they can trust.
Yes, I think that even super heroes need “contact in case of emergency” people. Bernie serves this role nicely. He can be the contact but has a good reason to be that person and not raise suspicions.
It sounds like Perry is getting suspicious. Jonathan must have forgotten to act sick when he arrived at the Whites' that night. Maybe he knew that Clark wouldn't have left his post without telling or leaving word with Lois.
With all that's been happening with Lois, Clark and Superman... Well, he's not editor because he can yodel.
Excuse me if I don't believe those "inquiring minds" who wanted to know about Superman's Swarm mission. Whoever they are, I don't trust them, and neither should Clark and Lois.
Sometimes a curious scientist is just a curious scientist. But then again, sometimes not. evil

Thank you all for the notes.
Chapter 8 is about ready but I don't want to get too far ahead of my support team. So it's going to be another day.

Bob

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Deluking to tell you how much I'm enjoying your story, Bob.

A reinforced wall where it shouldn't be in Lex towers. Sounds very suspicious *cough*Lexdidit*cough* Very interesting turn of events. And this?

I assure you that none of those discussions ended up in any report.”
Nothing official, maybe. angel-devil

Keep up the good work.
B

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bob!

Time for one more, at least smile1
The Metropolis General emergency room was not where Lois had planned to be at this time. An hour ago, she'd been sure that she had enough influence to change the destination for Superman's ambulance. However, she'd come face to face with reality.
Oh boy.

Both the military and space establishments had been embarrassed at being out of the loop for the Nightfall Swarm mission, and for the moment, Lois was not going to get any help.
So, she going to do a full write up on that, huh? No matter the cost of *that* endeavor.

And when the story was her husband... well the other reporters won't know what hit them.
She does realize that her get-out-of-jail card is currently unconscious in the hospital, right?

The paramedic glanced her way. Why was he smiling? “You can ask him yourself,” he said as he pulled the gurney out.
Oh boy.
CLARK: shock Umm…different hospital, please. One without Lois Lane present. help

“Nothing. We couldn't start an IV because the needle wouldn't penetrate his skin. And he was unconscious, so we couldn’t give him anything orally.”
[Linked Image]

He smiled at me.”

“That's great news. So he's going to be okay?” Martha asked.
Well, no amnesia, at least.

“Ms. Lane, this is Veronica Nicholson. Superman came out of the ER room about a minute ago. He super-sped away without saying anything to anyone.
laugh Poor doctors, what a great patient they’ve had.

“What was a wall like that doing there?” Lois asked. “I thought you double checked the building a few days ago to make sure that the plans you had matched the actual building structure.”
Nice one!

“I did,” Clark confirmed. “I thought I had checked everything, but I must have accidentally skipped over that floor. I don't know how I managed to miss that wall during my check. Also, based on all the research that Jerry did before the demolition, that wall should not have been there.”
Lead-covered, maybe?

Lois cut him off with a finger to his lips. “But we can we talk about this in the morning,” she said. “For right now I'd like to spend the rest of the evening showing you how much I missed you.”
Great, we’ll have *another* comatose Superman in the morning…

“Bernie, there's more to this than just taking care of Superman. The person that serves as his doctor will have access to information about him that is very private,” Lois said.
Yes, things like fertility statistics and such.

“I guess there are differences that don't show up in normal tests.”
Yes, like holding up a photo of Lois Lane in front of him as opposed to that of any other woman.

Bernie blanched at her challenge. He'd clearly never run into Mad-Dog Lane. “The preliminary results showed a marked decrease in your abilities.”
Oh boy.

Bernie shook his head. “We don't think so. That was one of the things we were looking for.”
So, his battery pack’s gotten damaged from depleting it too much? Are they sure it’s not just a BIOS issue with a faulty charge readout? And did Lois’s welcome-home activities further his depletion?

You aren't as strong or as tough as you were, but you were so far above anything else, that the loss simply doesn't matter.
What about withstanding nuclear explosions?

“I understand. But one of my coworkers suggested that a lower-level exposure could remove all of your abilities without killing you.”
Ooooh!

“Please,” he pleased defensively, “I'm on your side. But when you have very smart people reviewing data and trying to understand what it means, ideas and meanings get discussed. I promise you that no one involved means you any harm. We are simply trying to understand the data and interpret its meaning. I assure you that none of those discussions ended up in any report.”
*squints* Rrrrrright…

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard