Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
It's taken a lot of work to get here. My special thanks to Morgana for the keeping this on my mind the last few years. Also thanks to HappyGirl, IolantheAlias, Morgana and The Fabulous Beverly for input and beta reading.

Comments here please. smile1
Bob

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Yay, another Bobbart story. I look forward to reading it. smile1

I did want to let you know, though, that I have already posted a story with the same title ( TOC here ). And it is actually one of my few multi-part stories.

I don't know whether there is a policy on having multiple stories with the same name, but I suspect that they might cause confusion.

Joy,
Lynn

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Lynn
Yay, another Bobbart story. I look forward to reading it.
I guess I should have said something about this being almost a pure A-plot story. I hope it still feels like one of mine. smile

I did want to let you know, though, that I have already posted a story with the same title
blush Usually I check for that, but this time I missed it. (And I read that story.) I don't feel married to this title. I just liked it better than my 2nd choice "Superman Returns" which has sort of been used before. I know that there are no rules against duplicate names, but I do generally try to avoid doing that.

So, if everyone wants "Superman Returns" or can suggest a better name, I'm happy to re-title the story to avoid confusion.

Bob

U
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
U
Wonderful! I really, really enjoyed "When the Sky Falls," and I have been waiting with baited breath for the promised sequel. I can't wait to see how Superman will come back, or what happened to Lex Luthor...

Can't wait for the next installment!

Ultra Lucille
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
An intriguing setup. And thanks for the refresher on the events in your earlier story. I know I had read it and enjoyed it, but the details were a little fuzzy in my mind.

Thanks for being willing to consider a different title. My first thought upon reading this section was, "The Fallout." Unfortunately, it might prove too close to another story that is out there -- the archive has a story called simply, "Fallout" (without a definite article.) If I can come with anything else, I'll let you know.

Looking forward to part 2.

Joy,
Lynn

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by bobbart:
So, if everyone wants "Superman Returns" or can suggest a better name, I'm happy to re-title the story to avoid confusion.
Bob
So here are a few ideas
  • Defying Gravity: The Return of Superman
  • Rebound: The Return of Superman
  • Ascent: The Return of Superman
  • Superman Rising
  • Above the Rubble
  • Through the Rubble
  • In Flight

I like Defying Gravity: The Return of Superman

Of course part of the reason is I love the song
Defying Gravity

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like Bob's title and it fits very well with his original fic "When The Sky Falls". It would not be a disaster for the Archive to have two fics with the same title - it has happened before. FoLCs can easily differentiate based on author.

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
My actual original working title was The Return of Superman. I thought it would make a nice bookend opposite my The Return of Ultra Woman from a few years ago. The only reason I didn't use that title was that I didn't want to risk confusing a potential reader into believing that those stories were associated.

In any case, this time I did check the archive for the name first, so I know this one is unique.

Ultra Lucille:
I really, really enjoyed "When the Sky Falls," and I have been waiting with baited breath for the promised sequel.
Thank you. I have also been anxiously waiting for my muse to deliver the promised sequel. For the first year, the only delivery that I got was a courtroom story with Superman on trial for crimes against humanity. While I couldn't bring myself to write that, parts of it did end up in Identity.

Lynn:
An intriguing setup. And thanks for the refresher on the events in your earlier story. I know I had read it and enjoyed it, but the details were a little fuzzy in my mind.
I just didn't see any way to have this story be accessible after all this time without a serious review of SkyFall. It does cause the story to get going a little more slowly than I like, but I didn't see any other way. It did provide a reasonable platform to explain where Clark's parents were during the original story.

Framework4:
Thank's for the suggestions. As you can see, we were mostly on the same page. I did want to retain a link to the original story so I used the form you suggested with a slightly different beginning.

I hope you enjoy where it goes.

IolantheAlias:
I like Bob's title and it fits very well with his original fic "When The Sky Falls". It would not be a disaster for the Archive to have two fics with the same title - it has happened before. FoLCs can easily differentiate based on author.
I'm glad you liked it but, as I said to Lynn, had I done my normal due diligence, I would have picked another title right from the beginning. My story Rumors is based on the song Something to Talk About , but when I looked in the archive I discovered that there were already two stories there with that title, so I've done this before. It's just that usually I do that research before I post anything.

Thank you for the beta help and I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The title says it all.

It is was soo awesome to see this work come to life. Bob has worked for a long time to bring this story to fruition. I am very happy to have had a small part in that.

Now let us all take in this story which answers a great deal of questions! party

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
YAY! So happy to see this story! smile1

It's good to know that Jonathan and Martha are well. Clark has already lost so much. It's like he lost all his past life. frown Now at least he has his parents back. They will help Clark to recreate Superman because they are the best Superman experts in the world. wink

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the recap. It's been a while since I read Sky Fall and I had forgotten that Clark still didn't have all his memories and/or powers back. I do remember thinking, "Here?! You're ending here?!" So, I too am glad for the sequel. hyper

I always thought that M&J had been taken out of Smallville by Clark, which he didn't remember after losing his memories. I love the clan get together of the Irigs. What fun! How nice of them to allow the Kents to bunk with them. Poor M&J, not knowing whether Clark was alive or dead. You could do a whole other story just about what happened to them and what they went through. clap

I look forward to where you might take this. I'm sure that Superman won't have an easy return, from all the death and destruction left in the wake of Nightfall. I'm sure Lex will come back somehow and blame him.

I'll be reading, even if I don't always time to comment as I'm trying not to fall behind in my story.

I did think of another title last night, but you had changed it before I had time to comment:

After the Sky Falls or After the Sky Fell

which, of course, would link it to the previous story and wouldn't change your original title all too much. Although, when I saw your new title I began to wonder if the "Fall" was referring to the fall of the hero or the fall of Superman and not necessarily just to Nightfall.

Yes, I too try to double check the Archives to see if a similar title was already used before choosing my final title. Then again, with my stories I have a tendency to use similar titles (my apologies to anyone who gets confused).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
When I saw that this was a sequel, I decided to go read the first one first. Turns out that When the Sky Falls is a story I had wanted to re-read but couldn't remember the title or author. laugh Thanks for "finding" it for me! I really enjoyed your take on the Nightfall story and the explanation for Clark's amnesia. I also liked the sweet romance between Lois and Clark. I look forward to enjoying the sequel.

It's funny reading Martha and Johnathan explaining where they've been because I had thought that you had given their explanation at the end of the first story, and it didn't match what I thought I had remembered. I think I must have come up with my own ideas of where they were after reading When the Sky Falls the first time. I thought they had been traveling to Metropolis for some reason and got delayed on the way, but I like your explanation that they were with Wayne's family.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Morgana: smile1
I thought they had been traveling to Metropolis for some reason and got delayed on the way,
Well, they were and they did. thumbsup

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When nagging brings out this kind wonderful story it is well worth it!

You DO lOOOve cliffhangers.

That's my story gang and I'm sticking to it.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
hyper The sequal is finally here. I gave up hope of every seeing this sequal, but I guess it did come about.

John Pack Lambert
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Morgana
When nagging brings out this kind wonderful story it is well worth it!
laugh

John
The sequal is finally here. I gave up hope of every seeing this sequal, but I guess it did come about.
You and me both! thumbsup

Bob

K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
I had to read When The Sky Falls again before starting to read the sequel, it is such a great story. thumbsup

KateB
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
KateB
I had to read When The Sky Falls again before starting to read the sequel, it is such a great story.
Thank you so much. blush I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I love the beginning, it will be nice for Clark to have his parents close.
Yes, their presence should come in handy in several ways. smile

Bob

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bob!

It’s been way too long since this was posted, erm, since I had time to FDK blush
A knock on the door interrupted her muse. "I'll get it," she said as she stood and headed for the front door. When she opened the door, she was glad that she had a good grip on the doorknob. Standing just outside the door were Clark's parents. His supposedly dead parents.
Oh boy, I guess some things you do forget in 8 years blush

"Martha, Jonathan, what are you doing alive?"
Oh, she’d rather her in-laws where dead, huh? Less hassle. Either that, or it gives them the opportunity to correct her from anything starting with ‘we’re ghosts’ to ‘alt-parents’ or ‘robots’ and ‘clones’. You never know with these two.

After a few seconds, Lois sensed a certain level of discomfort – or possibly confusion – from her mother-in-law.
Yeah, they probably don’t know that Lois is now a woman wed and not just some floozy shaking up with their innocent little boy.

For a second or two Clark just stood there stiffly.
Probably measuring temperature, body density, micro-gravitational pull and heartbeats to rule out ‘robot’ and ‘ghost’.

She moved quickly to his side and took his hand in hers before turning to Martha. “Martha, I know this is going to be hard for you, but Clark doesn’t remember you.”
*blinks* I also apparently forgot his ongoing bout of amnesia blush

Lois turned back to find Martha staring at her outstretched arm. Martha’s hand was covering her mouth. “Is something wrong?” Lois asked.
Yes. Not a floozy.

“You’re wearing a wedding ring,” Martha replied breathlessly.
Oh right. Lois is wearing a wedding ring but staying with Clark. She’s probably run out on her husband and shacked up with her boyfriend.

Clark moved quickly to her side and put his arm around Lois’s shoulders. “Lois and I have been married for a nearly a month.”
See? Even Clark felt it necessary to disabuse his mother of the above mentioned notion regarding Lois’s character as a wife.

Lois looked back and forth between Clark’s parents. It was clear that this information stunned them. She wished she could tell if their reaction was positive or negative.
Martha probably wonders, considering the amnesia, if Lois is already aware that her husband has gravitational issues. And is not particularly concerned with the possibility of his wife scratching his back.

I just didn’t expect anything like this to happen so quickly.”
They didn’t want the little one to be born outside of wedlock. That darn honeymoon suite kind of left a mark.

Martha’s expression relaxed into a smile. “I’m so relieved that you know. I was half afraid that he might decide to do something crazy like proposing – maybe even getting married – without telling you.”
Yeah, that would have been awkward, what with him always running out and returning with lipstick on his color and smelling of various perfumes, not to mention the strands of long hair he’s bound to collect during his endeavors.

“But you know about Superman?” Clark asked.

“You mean that Superman is supposed to be dead because of Luthor's Kryptonite gas trap?” Martha asked.
Oh. Wait, what?

Lois paused to compose herself for this next part. “Well, Clark invited me to stay with him,” she said. “It was all very proper,” she added quickly.
Yes, a perfectly legitimate deal where one exchanges goods and services for other services.

Then one night Clark asked me to marry him.
The cramped living arrangements probably got on his nerves.

“I mean discovering that you were married to Superman.”
[…]
Of course, I’m not married to Superman, I’m married to Clark.” Lois leaned over and kissed her husband.
Nice touch!

The hilltops around us took a beating, but very few of the fragments made it down into the valley. No one was injured, but we didn’t come away unscathed.
Rock slides in the mouth of the valley?

To be honest, I think they were happy to have us non-family out of their valley.
Yeah, now that they don’t need any emergency meat reservoirs any longer, it’s probably for the best.

Great way to get us all caught up!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard